I use protonmail, its on my desktop, my iPhone, Android phone, and tablet. PM is in Switzerland, being outside of US and EU jurisdiction.
There are a lot of secure email providers, for fee that will advertise privacy or security or both. The problem you will find is the country they are located in, which many do not take into consideration. The country's you find most of the alternatives in the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark, France, Holland, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Sweden and Spain. This means your email is at risk for privacy violations in the name of national security, you can be bulk hoovered in a sweep for one target and cross-shared amongst the governments of the aforementioned countries.
Whatever you do, anything and I do mean *anything* is better than the free email providers/data harvesters of obscene proportions.
As an aside I have had GMail since Beta, so it was hard for me to tear away from it. But I have moved all my real life and financial and personal to PM and I still use GMail for throwaway use cases now.