I'm thinking (and also hoping really hard) that this time it's "different". A while ago several judges from the ICC ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Criminal_Court ) got their credit cards blocked by the usa and some more childish petty behavior, and we here in Europe are fed up with that clownish behavior and overall dependence on the usa. One of the goals now is to replace mastercard and visa for Wero, (an european system). And along the way credit card transaction fees will drop from the current 3% to about 0.2%. The goal is not to make profit from the transactions, but to keep that money in the economy to make it move smoother.
https://europeanbusinessmagazine.com/europes-24-trillion-breakup-with-visa-and-mastercard/
Great. But I think you've read something wrong, or more likely, the media you've read is intentionally twisting facts.
Here are some facts as best I can find them from proper reports:
1. The EU doesn't put 24 trillion through VISA and Mastercard. 24 trillion was Visa and Mastercard's global number a couple of years ago.
2. VISA and Mastercard only handle about 60% of the transactions in Europe. So there are other options already.
3. Wero isn't replacing anything; it's an additional service being hyped up and sold to citizens by corporations' intent to leverage the current geopolitical topics to make money.
4. VISA and Mastercard will remain in the EU. No one in their right mind would want to jeopardize the 1 trillion in tourist dollars spent through those networks by US tourists alone, let alone the total.
5. Wero is planned for 13 countries and not all of the EU at this time. That leaves another 14 EU nations out of the network, and of course, no one visiting the UK would be able to use it.
The US has several account-to-account systems, and many countries do. Wero is just another one, being pushed by banks intent on making money. There are more ways to make money than the transaction fees.
I would think that if the EU were serious, it could put a payment card system in place that would provide true parity. But I suspect that's not the goal.
Why do you think the media outlets like the one you posted intentionally twist the facts? It's right there in the URL itself. The implication that the breakup is over 24 trillion.
I had to go back and look at what the ICC did. As you allege, the ICC opened investigations into two states over which it has no direct jurisdiction. It appears those states objected to that and used their independent authority to counter the overreach. I agree that there is childish and petty behavior there on all counts, including the ICC.
The ICC was petty and childish to waste money and resources in cases where it well knew it held no jurisdiction. The states that objected and took their own actions in counter were petty and childish because they knew the ICC's childish and petty actions had no impact on them due to lack of jurisdiction. But, of course, the arrest warrants issued might be a problem if those whom the ICC targeted visited a state under the ICC jurisdiction, so I guess someone felt tit-for-tat was warranted.
I still don't know what this has to do directly with France moving government systems off of Windows to Linux. Maybe just a chance to bring politics more into focus in this thread?