Author Topic: HP does it again: bricking third-party ink  (Read 4314 times)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
Re: HP does it again: bricking third-party ink and locks users in
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2023, 05:12:49 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-OfficeJet-Colour-Printer-Instant/dp/B08YQW6SJH
HP OfficeJet 8025e All in One Colour Printer with 9 months of Instant Ink with HP+
HP+ SMART PRINTING SYSTEM – The * optional HP+ system enables your printer to **think ahead so it is more secure, more productive :bullshit: and ready when you are. Requires an HP account, internet connection and use of only Original HP Ink for the life of the printer
*Confused, it says OPTIONAL.
** I find that very insulting and condescending.

It thinks ahead using the strict instructions set by the advanced thinkers at HP for the mass majority who are very stupid and confused and don't know what they are doing that'd they use the wrong ink and not use it correctly by connecting it up to an internet connection that works with it.

What are the requirements of this HP+ printer?
The option cloud - connected HP+ printing system requires an HP account, ongoing, internet connection, and use of Original HP Ink Cartridges for the life of the printer.
One second it says "optional" then a requirement, an option"
If that is not optional like it is that is very misleading

Customer questions & answers
Q: Can i use with out internet
A: no, it needs a wireless internet connection to work, without it, it cannot recivie files
By Lennox R. on 10 August 2021
Very misleading.
Something OPTIONAL that they PUSH in the markerting material.

Clive
1.0 out of 5 stars Warning! OfficeJet 8020e Is NOT designed to be an offline printer, nor
Reviewed in the United Kingdom 🇬🇧 on 10 June 2021
Style Name: HP+ Officejet 8022ePattern Name: SingleVerified Purchase
111 people found this helpful
Denying the user to print to the printer that they own until it is connected to HP.
Designed for mugs and suckers.

What when one they day stop supporting it and and you try to use it standalone and they are using this environmental thing with their cartridges.

https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=229W9B&opt=687&sel=PRN
SUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEMS
Compatible Network Operating Systems

Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7: 32/64-bit, 2 GB available hard disk space, Internet connection, Internet Explorer. OS X v10.11 El Capitan
macOS Sierra v10.12 (previously OS X)
macOS High Sierra v10.13
1.5 GB available hard disk space
Internet access. Linux: for more information, see http://www.hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
 Chrome OS
Very vague and not clear that that is an essential requirement before even think about purchasing that printer and hidden under the arrow.

Just noticed on the HP listing: "See complete specs" very stupid idea, I want see the full specs not be presented with a lot of white space inbetween:

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS
Minimum System Requirements
Windows 10, 7: 32/64-bit, 2 GB available hard disk space, Internet connection, Internet Explorer
So they say this is optional above with HP+ like trying to confuse the two but hidden away that it is required

Similar thing with the Amazon listing and the white spaces and information hidden away under an arrow:

What are the requirements of this HP+ printer?
The option cloud - connected HP+ printing system requires an HP account, ongoing, internet connection, and use of Original HP Ink Cartridges for the life of the printer.
I wonder what they are trying to say, is that an option or a requirement or a requirement of "connected HP+" if the owner opted for on the printer.

Mumbo jumbo bullshit:
HP+. HP's smart printing system.
*A cloud-connected HP+ printer is smarter :bullshit: – **it keeps itself up to date  :bullshit: and *** ready to print  :bullshit:.[9] First 6 months of Instant Ink included[10]; after 6 months, monthly fee charged automatically unless cancelled. **** Print and scan from the palm of your hand.  :bullshit: ***** Enjoy advanced productivity features for 2 years with HP+.[3] For every page you print with HP+, HP protects or restores forests in equal measure[11]
Enhanced security, reliable connections
Reduce interruptions with self-healing Wi-Fi® that keeps you connected.[2] Get security essentials to help maintain privacy and control. Count on chatbot support and helpful notifications with the HP Smart app.[3] ******Easily share resources – access and print with wireless networking.[2]

* The user is very stupid, they don't have the natural ability to even comprehend connect it up and printing locally without plugging into the internet.

** It does not keep itself up to date, the manufacturer controls it directly and through firmware updates.
I want my stuff left alone to function the way it was, when I brought it without interference.

*** Ready to print? not if it is not connected to HP or I use it standalone.

**** Print and scan from the palm of your hand? UTTER NONSENSE? No internet no print.

***** There is no "advanced productivity" that you can "enjoy" if it can't be used standalone and depends on internet and connection to HP.

****** Easily share resources. Nonsense - No internet no print.

HP+ SMART PRINTING SYSTEM – The optional HP+ system enables your printer to think ahead (and the user can't) so it is more secure (against non HP cartridges), more productive (user not productive) and ready when you are (user very slow and incapable of operating and maintaining printer all by themselves). Requires an HP account, internet connection and use of only Original HP Ink for the life of the printer
A cloud-connected HP+ printer is smarter, it keeps itself up to date
With what is mentioned above and when I hear that language and tone I think this is where they are effectively calling the users STUPID.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 07:51:54 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: DimitriP

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
Re: HP does it again: bricking third-party ink
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2023, 05:18:17 pm »
Back to HP; this is just another in a series of very bad management decisions from a once great engineering company that is now clogged with Harvard MBA types looking to make a fast buck.

I don't know who stayed under the HP name or HPE or whatever they call themselves this year.
I'm under the impression that all the "HP greatness" stayed behind with Agilent/Keysight   (another management mangle there-but that's another thread :) ) , OR by now have retired while HP meant something good.
Sad.

HP is now one of those words that one has to decide by the context.
"Scored an HP instrument on ebay!!!"  =  Great company of the past
"damn HP idiots" = probably printer or all in one PC loaded with "HP helpware"
Sad.

My answer to "which HP printer should I get?"  is : A Brother!
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2023, 06:59:01 pm »

My answer to "which HP printer should I get?"  is : A Brother!

That's what I did. After having numerous color printers and RARELY using color printing, I found that most of them used various amounts of color ink even to print black.  And I was running out of color ink even though I literally never used color printing!  Grrrr! I finally went and bought a BLACK print only Brother printer and I use that for 99% of my printing. I've replaced the black ink cartridge probably once in the past 15 years.  Before that I was replacing all four color cartridges and a black ink cartridge about every 18 months.  The Brother printer has probably saved me over $1000 in the last 15 or so years.

The US Federal Trade Commission and some of the regulatory agencies in other countries really should have launched investigations in the trade practices of HP and the other printer manufacturers YEARS AGO.

The following users thanked this post: DimitriP, MrMobodies

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2023, 07:45:58 pm »
I don't know who stayed under the HP name or HPE or whatever they call themselves this year.
I'm under the impression that all the "HP greatness" stayed behind with Agilent/Keysight   (another management mangle there-but that's another thread :) ) , OR by now have retired while HP meant something good.
Sad.

HP is now one of those words that one has to decide by the context.
"Scored an HP instrument on ebay!!!"  =  Great company of the past
"damn HP idiots" = probably printer or all in one PC loaded with "HP helpware"
Sad.

Great company of the past.

The words I'd use to describe them now & this printer cart trick are "Rat Bastards".  >:(
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2023, 07:56:37 pm »
Quote from: Stray Electron on Today at 11:59:01 am>Quote from: DimitriP on Today at 10:18:17 am

My answer to "which HP printer should I get?"  is : A
Brother!

That's what I did. After having numerous color printers and RARELY using color printing, I found that most of them used various amounts of color ink even to print black.  And I was running out of color ink even though I literally never used color printing!  Grrrr! I finally went and bought a BLACK print only Brother printer and I use that for 99% of my printing. I've replaced the black ink cartridge probably once in the past 15 years.  Before that I was replacing all four color cartridges and a black ink cartridge about every 18 months.  The Brother printer has probably saved me over $1000 in the last 15 or so years.

The US Federal Trade Commission and some of the regulatory agencies in other countries really should have launched investigations in the trade practices of HP and the other printer manufacturers YEARS AGO.

Here,  read this, but don't do it on a full stomach:    https://press.hp.com/content/dam/hpi/press/press-kits/2020/hp-response-covid-19/Enrique%20Lores%20CEO%20bio%20.pdf

Ok spoiler below:
During his 30-year HP career, Lores has held senior leadership positions spanning HP’s Personal
Systems, Print, Industrial and Services businesses across country, region and worldwide roles.
As President of the company’s $20 billion Imaging, Printing & Solutions business, he consistently
outperformed the company’s peer set with a focus on differentiated innovation, business model
evolution and strategic M&A – including the company’s acquisition of Samsung’s printer business
in 2017 – while fostering important ecosystem partnerships including Canon and Xerox

The guy barely broke 21M in total compensation in 2021 !   ( from https://www.hpannualmeeting.com/pages/executive-compensation/executive-compensation-tables/

Things to keep in mind when you consider your next HP printer purchase :)

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2023, 01:30:30 am »
https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/how-do-you-set-up-your-hp-printer.html#:~:text=An HP+ activation is irreversible,can create an account now.
Step 5: activate HP+
What is HP+
To use HP+, you need to activate it. With HP+, HP offers a combination of services with which you can print more productively, safely, and sustainably. You get 1 year extra warranty, your documents are secure, and you contribute to the environment. You can decide if you want to use HP+ during the setup. If you choose HP+, you accept the conditions:

You create an HP account.
You connect the printer to the internet.
You only use original HP ink.
An HP+ activation is irreversible. After you activate HP+, you have 7 days to start the HP Instant Ink trial subscription. If you decline HP+, you miss out on this promotion. If you choose HP+, you can create an account now.
Before this recent firmware update. This HP+ option locks the user in and bricks their printer from using third party ink and demands internet to work after the subscription so basically the customer no longer owns the printer and looses control.

https://www.hp.com/us-en/printers/hp-plus/standard.html
HP LaserJet printers without HP+
HP LaserJet M209dw
Buy Hyperlink leads to:
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laserjet-m209dwe-printer
HP LaserJet M209dwe Printer w/ bonus 6 months Instant Ink toner through HP+
Works only with original HP toner; requires HP account  :bullshit:, internet  :bullshit: to operate
Dynamic security enabled printer

Now they tell you.
The models with 'e' at the end is HP+ that require you to use their ink (before this firmware brick) and demands a working internet connection to HP in order to print.

Reviews on page:
FlyCory
Votes 0  1 out of 5 stars.
Good price, bad experience
a month ago
HP+ is maddening. I have purchased exclusively HP printers. I will never buy another HP product. All I wanted was an inexpensive, black and white laser printer - it took hours to set up, only to learn that it requires an active internet connection. There’s no internet in the location that i needed it. Not only is the app glitchy and unusable, but the printer can’t be added manually unless you’ve set it up through an HP app. Absolutely infuriating experience.
No,I do not recommend this product.

Mad IT guy
Dothan, AL
Votes 2 1 out of 5 stars.
HP+ requirements are unbelievable… Avoid
3 months ago
Buyer beware of HP+ and models that end with “e”. Internet connection is required. You cannot opt out of the HP+ service and you have to associate an HP account with the printer before it will work. * HP has made it very easy to confuse non-HP+ printers like the m209dw and the m209dwe… they look exactly the same. I don’t know who came up with this branding idea, but it’s clearly entrapment. Ridiculous attempt at selling a subscription. Small businesses like ours that need a spare USB or LAN-only printer due to VPNs/firewalls will not even allow HP+ to connect anyway. Complete waste of time. Printer will be returned.
* I thought it was misleading but proven above and below that some of their "NON HP+ printer models" on their "HP LaserJet printers without HP+" now directs you through the URL's to models that require internet connectivity to HP at all times and HP only cartridges.

miranda93420
grover beach ca. Review 1 Vote 1 1 out of 5 stars.
drops internet connection
3 months ago
keeps dropping internet connection and not working
HP Laserjer M209DWE feature highlights
Reliable connections with HP+  :bullshit:
It looks to me like they are selling the printer as a service with a limited window to opt out on some models.
Why don't the install a sim slot and provide sims in them as part of the service.

So that model that is non HP+ and without the ink issue before the update:
 https://www.amazon.com/HP-Laserjet-Wireless-Printer-Printing/dp/B093JC85GQ
HP Laserjet M209dw Wireless Black & White Printer, with Fast 2-Sided Printing (6GW62F) and Instant Ink $5 Prepaid Code

ASIN   B093JC85GQ
Customer Reviews   3.8 out of 5 stars    12 ratings
3.8 out of 5 stars
Best Sellers Rank   #313,639 in Office Products (See Top 100 in Office Products)
#273 in Inkjet Computer Printers
#858 in Laser Computer Printers
Date First Available   April 26, 2021
Sensible at the top of the page with the specifications.
Nothing about internet required and nothing about dynamic security.
Not many reviews though and 2 negatives ones not showing.

Back to that page for Non HP printers with it says "HP LaserJet printers without HP+" and standard in the URL:
https://www.hp.com/us-en/printers/hp-plus/standard.html
HP LaserJet MFP M234dw
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laserjet-mfp-m234dwe-printer

HP LaserJet MFP M234sdw
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laserjet-mfp-m234sdwe-printer
The above URL'S on the page lead to the models with 'e' at the end so they are HP+.

HP LaserJet M110w Printer
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laserjet-m110w-printer

HP LaserJet MFP M140w Printer
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-laserjet-mfp-m140w-printer

Very naughty. So the first two results direct you to HP+ versions printers with non hp ink restrictions (before the brick) and internet requirement just to print locally.

https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/23/03/09/2214253/hp-outrages-printer-users-with-firmware-update-suddenly-bricking-third-party-ink
HP Outrages Printer Users With Firmware Update Suddenly Bricking Third-Party Ink (arstechnica.com)198
Posted by BeauHD on Thursday March 09, 2023 @05:15PM from the printers-suck dept.
An anonymous reader quotes a report from Ars Technica:
HP customers are showing frustration online as the vendor continues to use firmware updates to discourage or, as users report, outright block the use of non-HP-brand ink cartridges in HP printers. HP has already faced class-action lawsuits and bad publicity from "dynamic security," but that hasn't stopped the company from expanding the practice. Dynamic security is a feature used by HP printers to authenticate ink cartridges and prevent use of cartridges that aren't HP-approved. As the company explains: "Dynamic security relies on the printer's ability to communicate with the security chips or electronic circuitry on the cartridges. HP uses dynamic security measures to protect the quality of our customer experience  :bullshit: , maintain the integrity of our printing systems, and protect our intellectual property. Dynamic security equipped printers are intended to work only with cartridges that have new or reused HP chips or electronic circuitry. The printers use the dynamic security measures to block cartridges using non-HP chips or modified or non-HP electronic circuitry. Reused, remanufactured, and refilled cartridges that reuse the HP chip or electronic circuitry are unaffected by dynamic security."

HP is set on continuing to use DRM to discourage its printer customers from spending ink and toner money outside of the HP family. "HP have updated their printers to outright ban 'non-HP' ink! They no longer shows the 'can't guarantee quality' message, but instead cancels your print completely until you inset a HP ink cartridge," Reddit user grhhull posted Tuesday. "After contacting HP, they advised 'this is due to the recent 'update' of all printers.'" It's unclear when HP issued updates for which model printers, but there are alleged customer complaints online stemming from late last year, showing plenty of customers surprised their printer no longer worked with non-HP ink cartridges after an update. Some pointed to third-party brands they had relied on for years.

HP community support threads include complaints about the OfficeJet 7740 and OfficeJet Pro 6970. HP lists both printers, as well as others, as able to circumnavigate dynamic security under specific conditions. However, HP's support page states this only applies to models manufactured before December 1, 2016. For more examples, there are comments on HP's support community suggesting that HP's OfficeJet 6978 and 6968 were recently affected. Both printers are discontinued, but HP's product pages make it clear that the fickle nature of dynamic security means that third-party ink could stop working at any time. And HP's dynamic security page also leaves the door open for the sudden bricking of functioning ink: "Firmware updates delivered periodically over the internet will maintain the effectiveness of the dynamic security measures," the page reads. "Updates can improve, enhance, or extend the printer's functionality and features, protect against security threats, and serve other purposes, but these updates can also block cartridges using a non-HP chip or modified or non-HP circuitry from working in the printer, including cartridges that work today."
So that's what that security thing does  "Dynamic security" it works against the user and the company pretends (HP pretending to be the customer) that this "protect(s) the quality of our customer experience"

HP uses dynamic security measures to protect the quality of our customer experience
So out of touch.

HP interferes and bricks printers not part of HP+ in ways where it refuses to work with third party print cartridges.
Company calling the customers stupid claiming that their printer is smarter than them and can think (where it is HP pulling the strings in the background) with this "Dynamic security".

So what from I understand:
Dynamic security
So a third party ink provider finds a way to make their chips work with the printer.
HP spies on the user through the software to determine if cartridge is non HP.

If HP suspect that the cartridge chip is non HP they will instruct all their printers that are connected up to block that chip or make changes to their chip info on the cartridges later on and through firmware updates.

https://www.gearrice.com/update/how-to-prevent-your-hp-printer-from-updating-and-be-able-to-continue-using-non-original-cartridges/
How to prevent your HP printer from updating and be able to continue using non-original cartridges
By Arthur Morgan11/03/2023 2 Mins Read
Turn off automatic updates with HP Smart on your HP printer
It is not the only method with which to disable automatic updates from HP, although the next two methods are somewhat more complex. In fact, when using the HP Smart App you only have to follow the following path: advanced settings, security and manage settings. In this last menu you have the option to disable updates.

In case the update has already been applied, the only thing you can do is factory reset the HP printer and thus return it to the factory settings. The printer will have the version it was released with, although you may have to update it a couple of versions until it is at the version before the last update.

In short, the latest update that HP has launched has managed to put users who use printers on their feet on a day-to-day basis. And, it is that, using software that third-party cartridges are not compatible is something that has generated enormous controversy due to the nonsense that this implies for users.
I bet they will "fix" that problem above in order "to protect the quality of their customers experience."

When that reviewer above talks about HP confusing the models between HP+(e) and NON HP+ to try and entrap customers into a subscription model I don't think their attempt worked good enough as they expected it to so they chose the firmware brick again to target the ink.

Joke: So customers can't complain to HP as they won't be as likely to find printers of the same model that can use non HP cartridges.
Forced ink forced connectivity to operate.
I will think of this as the HP aggression.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 01:02:04 pm by MrMobodies »

The following users thanked this post: madires, xrunner

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2023, 02:04:27 am »
Used,HP Laserjets, for ,decade's

4050, iii, lately M12W.

no internet connection on the old models
Accept clone, refill cartridge

B&W, cart lasts,1000s pages.

Dumped,all our,HP, Epson, Brother inkjet printers and fax, long ago.

Use a professional 12x18" Konica Minolta for color

Jon
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

Offline Stray Electron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2023, 02:51:23 am »
   HP's new printer sales pitch;  "now includes free Brickware!"

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, james_s, MrMobodies, Kim Christensen

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2023, 07:40:38 am »
Not that I'd ever buy an HP product new, they've been on my very exclusive shit list since they first tried this trick in 2016, but I wonder how this HP+ can be irreversible. Doesn't that mean you can never buy a new printer and sell your old (HP+) one as used?

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
https://www.ebuyer.com/1427042-hp-laserjet-pro-mfp-4102dwe-a4-mono-multifunction-laser-printer-with-hp-2z622e-b19
Shows full specification and that is is "HP PLUS" which is nice but:
It does not mention of it demanding internet access or the use of genuine HP print cartridges in order to operate and nothing about dynamic security.
apart from something that doesn't seem related in the small print:
4 Automatic delivery and consolidated bill - Printers require direct connection to the Internet for program participation. Internet access sold separately.

Look at the price difference between the NON "e"/HP+ model.

HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102dwe A4 Mono Multifunction Laser Printer with HP Plus (Mfr part code: 2Z622E#B19)
£ 293.99  inc. vat with £243.99 after Cashback deal

HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102fdw A4 Mono Multifunction Laser Printer (Mfr part code: 2Z624F#B19)
£448.98  inc. vat

£154.99 more for a Non HP+ printer with no internet and (genuine cartridge requirements up until now)

Nothing on Ebuyer's own listing about the requirement of internet and genuine ink cartridges contrary to the (HP LaserJet Pro MFP 4102dwe) model selling in the HP shop:
https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/product.aspx?id=2z622e
Introducing HP+: The Smart Printing :bullshit: System[a]
Get 3 months of Instant Ink included[c] and an extra year of HP warranty.[f] * This HP+ printer requires use of only Original HP Toner, an HP account and ongoing connection to the Internet. To learn about other printers without HP+, visit this page.
Now that is clear.

Disclaimer small print hidden under an arrow:

[a]. HP+ smarter printing system: Utilizing technology in the HP+ system and compared to HP standard consumer printers without HP+:bullshit: HP+ printers are ready when you are with improved connectivity utilizing Smart Driver :bullshit: and Print/Scan Doctor technology,  :bullshit: more secure with * Smart  :bullshit: Security technology (to lock the user in), more productive through HP Smart Advance features included for 2 years and more sustainable by enabling Forest First printing and net-zero deforestation prints.​

. Never run out:-+  Based on plan usage  :bullshit:, Internet connection to eligible HP printer, valid credit/debit card, email address,  :bullshit: and delivery service in your geographic area.​​

​​[c]. Up to 3 months of Instant Ink (see printer details for specific term):  Instant Ink sign up required. Instant Ink not available in all countries. Subject to monthly page limit of plan selected (NEVER RUN OUT... LIARS). Must complete Instant Ink signup within 7 days of setting up the printer with the HP-recommended setup process as indicated in the instructions that came with your printer. Unless service is cancelled within the promotional period online at www.hpinstantink.com, a monthly service fee, based on your current service plan, plus tax and overage fees will be charged to your credit/debit card. Customer will be charged for any overage fees and applicable taxes at the end of each month in the promotional period. Use of in-box ink or toner cartridge is included in period of offer. One offer redeemable per printer. Included months offer with Instant Ink subject to change after 31.10.2021. Offer cannot be redeemed for cash. Setup Offer may be combined with other offers; see terms and conditions of the other offer for more details. Requires a valid credit/debit card, an email address, and Internet connection to printer. See additional offer information available during online signup process. For service details, see www.hpinstantink.com.

​​[d]. HP Smart app: Requires the HP Smart app :bullshit: download. For details on local printing requirements see www.hp.com/go/mobileprinting. Certain features/software are available in English language only and differ between desktop and mobile applications. Subscription may be required. Subscription may not be available in all countries. See details at www.hpinstantink.com. Internet access required and must be purchased separately. HP account required for full functionality. List of supported operating systems available in app stores. Fax capabilities are for sending a fax only. ** After 2 years, monthly fee applies to continue advanced features with HP Smart Advance. HP Smart Advance is not available in all countries. For more information, see www.hpsmart.com.

​[e]. Net zero-deforestation prints: See additional details at www.hp.com/sustainableimpact. Investment includes NGO partnerships targeted to protect forests, improve responsible forest management and help develop Science Based Targets (SBT) for responsible management of forests.

[f]. Additional Warranty: HP+ DeskJet, ENVY and LaserJet: Additional 1-year HP Warranty is provided with HP+ in addition to 1-year standard HP Warranty. Refer to the documentation in the printer box for further information on HP warranty. HP Warranty benefits apply in addition to any statutory rights provided under applicable consumer protection laws related to non-conformity of goods with the contract of sale. Such consumer statutory rights are not limited or affected in any manner by the HP Warranty. See: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03922002?openCLC=trueOfficeJet Pro: Up to 3yrs HP Warranty in total, subject to activation of HP+ at set up and online registration. Three years consist of: (1) one year standard HP warranty; (2) one year extra HP warranty through HP+ activation at setup; and (3) one year bonus HP warranty through separate online registration, which must be completed at www.hp.com/eu/bonuswarranty/ within 60 days of printer purchase. Refer to the documentation in the printer box for further information on HP warranty. HP Warranty benefits apply in addition to any statutory rights provided under applicable consumer protection laws related to non-conformity of goods with the contract of sale. Such consumer statutory rights are not limited or affected in any manner by the HP Warranty. See: https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c03922002?openCLC=true

​[g]. Cartridge recycling: Where the Planet Partners program is available. For details: hp.com/hprecycle.​

[h]. Save up to 50% on toner Based on monthly subscription cost for HP Instant Ink 1,500 page plan vs. average transactional cost per page of in-class monochrome A4 laser printers and MFPs < $450 USD that use original, standard-capacity integrated toner cartridges (toner and drum in one cartridge). Buyers Lab October 2020 study commissioned by HP, based on research of publicly available information as of 09/30/2020. Printers selected by market share as reported by IDC Quarterly Hardcopy Peripherals Tracker - Final Historical 2020Q1. For details and latest report, see: www.keypointintelligence.com/HPTonerServiceROW.
So they have gone from hiding the disclaimer small print under an arrow to hiding the full specifications in other listings.[/quote]

* Smart Security technology, more productive through HP Smart Advance features included for 2 years

** After 2 years, monthly fee applies to continue advanced features with HP Smart Advance. HP Smart Advance is not available in all countries. For more information, see www.hpsmart.com.
https://www.hpsmart.com/gb/en/smart-advance
FAQ
What is HP Smart Advance?

HP Smart Advance is a productivity tool in the HP Smart app that offers advanced scanning and other document processing features. HP Smart Advance is available on eligible HP printers.
I could pretty much do everything I need most that are on that list with my existing printers, except I wouldn't use a stupid "app" to do it on a tiny input-limited touch screen phone or tablet.

It wouldn't surprise me if they prevent you from doing basic scanning after two years until you start paying up monthly for it.
Joke: Oh basic scanning is now a "Hp Smart Advance feature" that needs to be paid for.

I see that they are trying to sell the printers cheaply for a fraction less off the price with these clauses to guarantee them revenue from the ink they sell to gradually pay off the difference. I wouldn't mind paying the extra but not if they are going to start interfering and controlling the printer remotely at every opportunity when they feel like it like now to prevent third party ink. It reminds me of a similar thing I read about to do with property.

There is this company called HomeWise (HW60+), what they do is buy a property outright and charge the occupants 2/3 (knock 1/3 off). Under the agreement (*depending on their situation) when they die they take the 2/3 (the property now belongs to them) under the claims that the occupant can purchase property worth more than they can afford *.

Also last year with the bullshit that Fox-ess, Ginlong and a load of other inverter manufacturers were up to when I was finding out about a monitoring appliance. Upload the data to the website to download it no broadband no datalogging or monitoring to do with the "smart" wifi stick they wanted to sell me where they control the inverter directly and issue firmware updates automatically and I can change parameters on the website which is a big nono.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 12:47:01 pm by MrMobodies »

Offline madiresTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2023, 11:11:49 am »
And we already have a nice acronym for what HP does: PaaS (Platform Printer as a Service) ;D

The following users thanked this post: MrMobodies, mapleLC

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2023, 01:07:21 pm »
Stick HP where its most funny... own and maintain their old workhorse printers forever!

My best example.

HP 2050 series printers, its the only one I use.

Cheap cartridges, workhorse printer.  The DN has networking.

You can do 200k pages on them no problem.  I bought a used one with 160k pages, not a single problem 5 years on.

While my wife has these stupid level thingys on her pretty printer with a shiny display and the never used scanner.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 01:08:53 pm by mapleLC »

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2023, 02:31:12 pm »
Awful EX HP CEO Carly  FIORINA  did an excellent job of destroying a fine and Pioneering electronics company.

The breakup into printer, PC and instruments ( Agilent, Keysight) resulted in much worse,and more costly products, poor service and these kind of,DRM printers.

Our HP instruments from the Golden age of 1970s..1990s are,all still in service as,are,the three 4050TN and M12W printers.

Most,recent  HP ( Keysight) instrument,6.5 digit DVM 34465A off  a local list, new, with Keysight calibration for $1000.

Perhaps my last HP!

Jon

Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: Ed.Kloonk, SiliconWizard, MrMobodies

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2023, 04:25:33 pm »
Just found this:
https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/consumer-products/electronics/hps-software-update-made-printers-incompatible-with-other-ink-cartridges-class-action-alleges/
474 thoughts on HP’s Software Update Made Printers Incompatible With Other Ink Cartridges, Class Action Alleges

45 pages with the first from October 19, 2021 and last March 10, 2023 so they had been doing this for some time.

I thought they stopped soon after their first attempt in 2016 where they backpeddled and offered to undo do it through the firmware.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2023, 02:58:18 am »
My color laserjet was under $300, it prints both sides of the page and the ink doesn't smear if it gets damp later on. I swore off inkjets years ago, I hate the things.

...but wait...some  new HP laser printers MUST get an internet connection so they they can be "activated" before they can be used. So once you create your account with HP and activate the printer, you are ready to print. It's really simple.

https://reviewed.usatoday.com/tech/features/hp-explained-what-hp-plus

What a load of shit. Only in the rarest of cases should a printer need to be exposed to the internet. Otherwise it has no business connecting outside your network.

The following users thanked this post: madires, MrMobodies

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2023, 03:19:36 am »
What a load of shit. Only in the rarest of cases should a printer need to be exposed to the internet. Otherwise it has no business connecting outside your network.

yea but HP+ is  helping save  the planet man

Additionally, printing with HP+ will cause every page you print to contribute to Forest First, HP's environmental pledge to plant new trees, and you'll be able to recycle your printer cartridges.

wonder how many pages = 1 tree

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2023, 03:47:59 am »
I've had really good experience with my HP printer, but when I tried to recommend a printer to a friend I encountered that HP+ garbage and that really rubbed me the wrong way, I find it absolutely unacceptable, especially the fact that with models that have it as optional you are locked into it once you try it. There is absolutely no excuse for that, the lock-in serves absolutely no purpose to the user.

I wonder if it's possible to hack one of the E models with the ROM from a fully featured non-E printer.

The following users thanked this post: mapleLC

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2023, 06:19:52 am »
Been and done:
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/hp-to-compensate-printer-customers
They'd look at this discussed remote update to see if it has the user opt in with informed consent.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2023, 06:33:46 am »
There kinda needs to be a donation/crowdfunded organization kind of like the Institute for Justice but instead of helping people defend stupid court cases they run ads exposing stupid company decisions and calling out BS publicly.

Company should be scared to do BS stuff but they're not and that's the problem.

Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2023, 07:34:47 am »

yea but HP+ is  helping save  the planet man

Additionally, printing with HP+ will cause every page you print to contribute to Forest First, HP's environmental pledge to plant new trees, and you'll be able to recycle your printer cartridges.

wonder how many pages = 1 tree
They seem to smear it all over their campaign, so when they say it requires internet connectivity to operate and genuine hp ink cartridges that environmental thing is shoved at the end of what I think as a possible distraction.

What I don't understand is:
That article:
https://reviewed.usatoday.com/tech/features/hp-explained-what-hp-plus
How does HP+ improve smart printing?
Requiring a broadband connection to HP or printer won't work and and they call that an improvement.
I could do everything very easily I need to on a desktop

Who thinks she is being paid by HP for her article?
HP printers have gotten me and legions of young people through schooling, whether you've shared your printer with a crew of roommates during finals week or you've toted (carry) your trusty printer to and from your next academic venture[/b]. With graduation season upon us, you may be figuring out what you need for the next school year or for your next job, 1* be that offloading old tech, 2* rearranging your subscriptions, or 3*restructuring your home office.

1* Why would you get rid of something that works?
2* rearranging your subscriptions should require a printer and they talk about saving the environment unless they are trying to mention it to make it look normal.
3* So I am going to get rid of perfectly good things because I am changing a room around?

If you're busy staging your next move, you might want to take advantage of free services for tech products you're considering investing in. HP is home to HP+, which is the cloud-printing service from HP that comes with some HP printers. We've broken down the details of the service below.

It is NOT free after two years according to the terms and connections.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 07:36:41 am by MrMobodies »

Offline mapleLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2023, 02:22:33 pm »
There kinda needs to be a donation/crowdfunded organization kind of like the Institute for Justice but instead of helping people defend stupid court cases they run ads exposing stupid company decisions and calling out BS publicly.

Company should be scared to do BS stuff but they're not and that's the problem.

Some have not learned yet that these kinds of non-profit structures are generally sink-holes.  It's where people with useless "educations" go to "work" making overall life worse for everyone.

I needed some magnets the other day.  Ebay right?  No!  Some blovaton institute in canada harassed ebay to the point where 1 less person in a decade may swallow a stupid magnet.  That stupid nonprofit got to Amazon too... you can only get gorilla fist sized magnets on amazon because you may want to swallow one that's 3/4" or something even more idiotic.

Careful with this kind of thinking, as it leads to jobs for those which generally would fail once the oversupply of librarians subsided.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 02:31:41 pm by mapleLC »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2023, 04:44:16 pm »

Especially since HP had plenty of security issues with their print server software. Also, a network printer can be used as gateway by attackers (was demonstrated a few times already). From a security perspective, a network printer with internet access is like asking for a disaster.

Online shapirus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2023, 05:00:45 pm »
Not only outside the local network, but it also has no business connecting anywhere inside the network as well. Its only business is to accept incoming connections to receive print jobs.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, MrMobodies

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2023, 11:24:06 pm »
Not only outside the local network, but it also has no business connecting anywhere inside the network as well. Its only business is to accept incoming connections to receive print jobs.

Indeed!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, MrMobodies

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2023, 10:10:53 am »
Exemptions (mostly in business environments):
- alarming/logging
- authentication
- sending scans to a specific destination, e.g. local email