Author Topic: I need more RAM, Scotty!  (Read 1389 times)

Offline MikeKTopic starter

• Super Contributor
I need more RAM, Scotty!
« on: September 09, 2022, 10:03:48 pm »
Canna doooit?

I've got a Dell Optiplex 7020 small form factor desktop machine with Win10 and 16GB RAM.  I've seen conflicting information online about the max RAM possible.  The Dell site says 16GB max, but another site says 32GB.  I would be inclined to believe Dell, but the thing is that the motherboard has four slots and only two are filled.  So I have 2 x 8GB DIMM modules and I *could* fit two more.  But can I?...Or would I be wasting money on something that won't get used?  I'm thinking Dell's 16GB limit might be based on the limitation of the originally installed OS (Win7 or Win8)?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 10:27:33 pm by MikeK »

Offline EEVblog_Fan

• Negative Feedback is the breakfast of Champions
Re: I need more RAM, Scotty!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2022, 07:55:58 am »
Dell OptiPlex 7020 SFF has four DIMM DDR3 RAM slots and supports dual channel memory configuration
and uses Intel® Q87 Chipset.

The number of DIMMs per channel you can use is only 2

DIMMs per Channel indicates the quantity of dual inline memory modules supported per each processor memory channel  so therefore 16GB Ram is the max.

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 11:03:46 am »
Welcome to the confusing world of RAM standards.  "At least you're not dealing with buffered, registered or the RAM schoolbus"

Try finding the chipset model (Q87 as Fan says?) and then find other motherboards that use this same chipset and use 4 slots.  Their manuals might be more enlightening.  Albeit there are some variations in wiring configs for RAM slots :D

Offline Whales

• Super Contributor
    • Halestrom
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 11:06:15 am »

Is that that same thing as "2 ranks per channel"?  In other words one dual-rank DIMM (double-sided load pcb) or two single-rank DIMMs (single-sided load pcbs) per channel?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:08:55 am by Whales »

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 11:13:12 am »
Chipset limit is 32GB, you could put both modules into slots of one of the channels and check if it works. If it does, I would assume you can relatively safely buy more RAM.
I'm thinking Dell's 16GB limit might be based on the limitation of the originally installed OS (Win7 or Win8)?
Home versions of win 7 had such a limit. There also could be a limit in BIOS which was later increased in newer version.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 11:37:49 am by wraper »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, AmnevaR

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 11:36:04 am »

DIMMs per Channel indicates the quantity of dual inline memory modules supported per each processor memory channel  so therefore 16GB Ram is the max.
Frankly this is some smart worded non-sequitur.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog_Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 12:09:32 pm »
Do any of these indicate the chipset?

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 02:08:36 pm »
If it is the Q87 chipset, wikipedia says up to 32GB of RAM:

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 03:02:31 pm »
Yes, it should take 32G just fine.

Offline 50ShadesOfDirt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 07:20:28 pm »
Definitive guide for me has always been the mobo manual, where you'll find a section on types of ram sticks it will take, banks to put sticks in (1,2 or 1,3 or 2,4) or populate all of them, etc.

As this is dell, they want you to "go online, or call", so I'd pump in all your ID's off the back of the unit and see what that brings up, *and* invest in a call to support, and keep pushing up the support chain until it sounds like you've got a knowledgeable engineer-type, or someone who'll consult with that engineer.

Usually, there is the max amount of ram stick size the mobo will take (8GB sticks for yours?), and max slots (4), so I'd tend to agree off the cuff with others that 32GB is the answer, but the mobo guide was always the last word (for me). Also, verify you've got the latest bios (dell puts out a bunch, usually), and the latest chipset drivers ... while you're at it (if possible), get to the latest OS you can on it, and that dell has all the drivers for.

Every once in a while, dell has the odd machine with 4 slots, but only 2 can be populated with certain sizes ... I can't recall these old models off the top of my head, but again, get to those engineer types at dell.

Hope this helps ...

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 07:47:38 pm »
Definitive guide for me has always been the mobo manual, where you'll find a section on types of ram sticks it will take, banks to put sticks in (1,2 or 1,3 or 2,4) or populate all of them, etc.
Have you ever heard of undocumented features? Manual is certainly not a definitive answer. It's not rare at all that motherboard can support more RAM than manual/spec says. Or support unbuffered ECC RAM while manual says nothing about that.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2022, 08:59:42 pm »
verify you've got the latest bios (dell puts out a bunch, usually), and the latest chipset drivers ... while you're at it (if possible), get to the latest OS you can on it, and that dell has all the drivers for.

I'd rather not get in that deep.  When it comes to computers I'd rather operate under the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim.  I assumed adding RAM was a no-brainer.  But thanks.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2022, 09:25:19 pm »
verify you've got the latest bios (dell puts out a bunch, usually), and the latest chipset drivers ... while you're at it (if possible), get to the latest OS you can on it, and that dell has all the drivers for.

I'd rather not get in that deep.  When it comes to computers I'd rather operate under the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" maxim.  I assumed adding RAM was a no-brainer.  But thanks.

It's not, but you're fine - just add some.

Offline 50ShadesOfDirt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2022, 10:26:47 pm »
Of course I've heard of "undocumented". Undocumented generally equals unsupported, followed by the request to "take all that stuff out, get it back to a supported state, and then call in again" ... however, I'd not deny that kind of fun to anybody who wants to go that route.

Adding ram is indeed a no-brainer ... when following the *latest* mobo guide, or when getting the latest word from the engineers, which might also get you to something like "undocumented", but which will more likely be "we've tested this other path, and it also works ... we're OK with you trying it as well".

Agree with whatever anybody wants when it comes to not fixing it when it's broke ... just keep in mind that dell rarely goes out of its way to contact you and say something needs fixing. If you go into their website support pages, you might find that they have released changes/fixes that apply to your particular machine, and these might equal goodness for you.

By all means, pop in more ram ... you always have the choice of doing it per the mobo guide or engineers, or by listening to those who say "go for it" ... I wouldn't deny anyone that bit of excitement in their choices!

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2022, 12:37:15 am »
Lol, talk of motherboards and bios when memory controllers have been integrated on the CPU since core-i began.

Its pretty much set by the CPU, and then into the annoying variants of that generation of DDR (rank, un-buffered, registered, etc).

The parts are so cheap its not even worth others time to ask/research, just buy the $50 of ram and put it in.

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2022, 10:42:55 am »
Lol, talk of motherboards and bios when memory controllers have been integrated on the CPU since core-i began.

Its pretty much set by the CPU, and then into the annoying variants of that generation of DDR (rank, un-buffered, registered, etc).

Although I have seen OEMs sabotage some chipset/CPU features, in modern times they tend to be mechanical for the most part (i.e., insufficient number of slots).

CPU works fine with 32GB dual memory channel - just check the types of memory they mention on their remark.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/80815/intel-core-i54590-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-70-ghz/specifications.html
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

The following users thanked this post: MikeK

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf