Author Topic: no boot from dvd drive  (Read 3551 times)

Offline m3vuvTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
no boot from dvd drive
« on: November 16, 2021, 11:54:23 pm »
Hi all i have a pc with a gigabyte  ga-78lmtusb3 micro atx-motherboard with an amd fx8350 cpu it has 20gb ram and an asuss  ati radeon hd 5770 1gb graphics card,the hard drive died on it yesterday,i have replaced the drive with a 120gb ssd,trouble is the bios detects the dvd drive but when i select it as the first boot device in the bios it wont read the disk,but windows reads the dvd ok tho,it just refuses to boot from it,i decided to put the ssd in a laptop and load win 7 sp2 onto it,the lappy boots fine with it,yet the desktop says starting windows then i get a bsod then it says launch startup repair,it does this then says windows cant fix it,any ideas ,im pulling my hair out with this! thanks in advance.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
Re: no boot from dvd drive
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 01:24:34 am »
Is the disc actually bootable? The fact that it's readable (i.e. contains a recognisable filesystem) in Windows doesn't mean that it's bootable. BIOSes have limitations on what filesystem they'll recognise for booting too. The majority of them will boot ISO/El Torito, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9660#El_Torito , but I'm not sure about UDF.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 03:45:07 am »
well i tried it on another pc and it boots fine.now it sees the disk but gets past the first setup screen then asks me to load a driver for the dvd rom,its never done that before!,could it be a bug with the gigabyte mother board?

Offline Ranayna

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 12:06:47 pm »
Please uses space after punctuation and capitalize at least the first word of your sentences. Your text is incredibly hard to read.

Migrating a drive with an installed Windows from one machine to another may work, but is generally only recommended when the two platforms are very similar. A wrongly set AHCI mode may be an issue here. Please check the BIOS settings, what SATA mode you have set. For Windows 7 it should be AHCI, and *most*, but not all, SATA controllers should then be recognized.
If your drive, or the harddisk is still not recognized, you need to check the Gigabyte website for SATA drivers for your mainboard. You can load them onto a USB stick and load the drivers from the stick during the Windows setup.

Finally, i have to mention this, you should not use Windows 7 anymore for anything online. There are now a couple of really serious vulnerabilities that are unpatched, and will not be patched.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 02:29:18 pm »
Hi all i have a pc with a gigabyte  ga-78lmtusb3 micro atx-motherboard with an amd fx8350 cpu it has 20gb ram and an asuss  ati radeon hd 5770 1gb graphics card,the hard drive died on it yesterday,i have replaced the drive with a 120gb ssd,trouble is the bios detects the dvd drive but when i select it as the first boot device in the bios it wont read the disk,but windows reads the dvd ok tho,it just refuses to boot from it,i decided to put the ssd in a laptop and load win 7 sp2 onto it,the lappy boots fine with it,yet the desktop says starting windows then i get a bsod then it says launch startup repair,it does this then says windows cant fix it,any ideas ,im pulling my hair out with this! thanks in advance.

Had a half dozen MOBOs  of this model...

The thing is that SINCE MS CRAPPED THE BOOT directly in BIOS...
several BIOS are indeed broken and can not boot ISO CDs that easy.

In particular some versions of the firmware in this MOBO can...some don't

MY solution for ALL these broken shit (thanks MShit!!!) is PLOP.

PLOP https://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux/index.html  is an amazing packed stack
which can provide an independent USB stack and boot off the hook these boards..
which have BIOS crippled and can not recognize devices...

The folk behind it is competent enough to achieve a remarkable solution.
There is a loadable kernel image ...
a whole distro ISO..
or small kernels to embed ...

Far more than i can explain here..
Have used it countless times across last decades..

Try directly loadable kernel once your ISO will not load.. on this MOBO..

Paul
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 02:33:18 pm by PKTKS »

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 07:42:57 am »
think i found the issue,one side of a memory dim was uncliped,seems to be working now.

Offline PKTKS

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 09:18:41 am »
If this board fails to see cds or usbs..

Dont even try to flash BIOS
go directly to PLOP..

Paul

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf