My 24 core 5.4 GHz Core i9 laptop just feels like magic, and is very spoiling.
From the cheaper side of laptop world, the Ryzen 7 7730U (8 cores, 16 threads) I recently bought with 16G RAM and 512G (Samsung PM9C1, MZVL8512HELU-00BH1) feels that way to me too. All my normal activities are absolutely instant, even booting is so fast I only need to type in my Grub/LUKS password, reach for my cuppa, take a sip, put the cup back, and it's ready for my username and password. (All my complaints about HP Laptop 15-fc0xxx are
physical; like the keyboard could be nicer, the chassis more rigid, cooling fan quieter, display backlight a bit more uniform; all explained by the affordable price.)
I have noticed that the storage bandwith is absolutely critical to me. In 2008 – 2015 or so, I mainly used my desktop machine with mixed RAID0/1 setup with spinny rust, and an Acer Aspire One minilaptop/netbook for a carry-along. (I still have it in working condition in storage.) The storage was a slow 2.5" HDD, but moving my browser profile to a limited-size RAMdisk made all the difference. (I automated all that, and discussed the details and related bugs at gnome display manager mailing list. Instead of fixing GDM, it was easier to interpose
/usr/bin/firefox, so that first invocation (when no processes with the binary name are running as the current user), the profile is unpacked from storage to the ramdisk; and when the last instance has exited, the profile is packed back to storage. It's absolutely transparent to the user, but made Firefox
really responsive, even with such a feeble processor.)
Similarly, the physical chassis is extremely important to me. I'd be willing to trade quite some weight for a full-aluminium underside, especially if also used as a heatsink; that requires that the processor and other getting-hot-bits are on the underside of the board, so they can be in direct contact with the chassis/heatsink. There are a few SBCs like this already, and they are much easier to passively/quietly cool than the stupid "standard" option of a fan embedded in the heatsink, but their peripherals tend to not be that well suited for a laptop.
Multiple keyboard layouts is a plus, as is availability of replacements. (For whatever reason, I tend to go through keyboards... although for full-size external keyboards, taking them apart and cleaning them every six months or so, made them survive for years. Laptop keyboards just don't have the tolerances, longevity, cleanability I need.)
This all tracks back to non-x86 laptops. I know for a fact that there are many ARM-based SBCs I'd be happy to use in a laptop, and I suspect the aforementioned RISC-V's would be too. The M.2 M-key PCIe NVMe is somewhat critical (number of lanes – I'd much rather have one four-lane one than two two-lane ones, or a two-lane one rather than two one-lane ones). For example, for Odroid M1S and Odroid M2, HardKernel dropped it from M1's two PCIe 2.1 lanes to just one; this hugely dropped their practical value for me. It is also definitely worth it to spend a bit more on an SSD with excellent random 4K read performance; you rarely need the maximum bandwidth, but you can easily be limited by maximum IOPs.
Processor speed does make a huge difference in startup latencies and how
snappy everything feels, but all that can be compensated a lot by good systems integration, cutting off the porky bits. Gnome and KDE desktops might feel sluggish, but switch to XFCE or LMDE (or to a lesser degree, to Cinnamon or MATE), and it'll feel much better. And adjusting desktop environment and application defaults to conform to your workflow and preferences instead of the default opposite makes even more of a difference. For me, the machine becomes as much an extension of my hands as a chisel or screwdriver or wrench does: I don't need to think about the tool at all, I just do what I want. This helps me, because my cognitive power is very limited, and I can fully focus on what interests and benefits me.
You know, like when typing: you too probably don't need to see your fingers or the keyboard to type, you just think of the things you want written, and your subconscious/motor memory takes over the mechanical part of typing. You only note if you make a typo, right?
If I were to build my own non-x86 laptop, I'd start by collecting information on keyboard, battery, display alternatives, focusing on easily available known-good OEM parts. Then, I'd design the base chassis, assuming full-aluminium underside at least doing double work as a heatsink, then see what kind of space is left over for the motherboard. While the selections themselves aren't that important –– they'd just reflect my personal preferences –– it is all that information that would be useful for anyone else building their own. For example, are there multiple keyboard modules that can be used with the same chassis? Perhaps just replacing the upper (keyboard) plastic surface? Or with an insert of some kind? Could a single motherboard support more than one type of battery, by just having more than one connector (obviously only one in use at the time), or perhaps via a "jumper" adapter?
Because the design of the motherboard is
way outside my current skill range, I haven't even doodled any designs yet myself.