Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3804021 times)

Offline Rozzone

Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #5475 on: September 08, 2014, 10:14:17 pm »
I have 6392 75XX and it is 1.22.  It was made in estonia and its calibration date was 14 may.

Does this help?

Offline Rozzone

« Reply #5476 on: September 08, 2014, 10:32:28 pm »
Couple of questions.... Live streaming of a modified E4.  I used Marphys EXE - many thanks Marphy and all the rest of you.  Now I don't seem to be able to activate live streaming via flir tools, VLC or the Flir Camera Player.  In FLIR tools, I connect to live streaming, it works away for about 3 minutes and then returns a CAMERA_RTREE_CONNECT_ERROR. :-//

Also, I am interested in developing a telephoto converter for this camera.  Has anyone worked out what the thread for the std E4 lens mount is?  I might see if I can work out a connector that joins the therm app 19mm lens to the E4.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:42:20 am by Rozzone »

Offline ThermalGuru

• Contributor
« Reply #5477 on: September 08, 2014, 10:42:12 pm »
Thank you Rozzone. A 6392.75xx sure increases probability that the 6392.76xx is also a firmware 1.22.0.

Would feel 100% certain if someone could verify a serial 6392.77xx or later as firmware 1.22.0. Anyone?

OK, double kisses this time:  :-*  :-*

Offline wer4

• Contributor
« Reply #5478 on: September 09, 2014, 04:43:12 pm »
Thank you Rozzone. A 6392.75xx sure increases probability that the 6392.76xx is also a firmware 1.22.0.

Would feel 100% certain if someone could verify a serial 6392.77xx or later as firmware 1.22.0. Anyone?

OK, double kisses this time:  :-*  :-*
I would just ask the supplier, I believe this serial is going to be either 2.1 or 1.22. It could be when they started shipping 2.1's but could also be after they started putting 1.22 back on due to 2.1's failures.

Offline ThermalGuru

• Contributor
« Reply #5479 on: September 09, 2014, 05:18:54 pm »
I checked with Flir USA - but they claim they can not tell firmware based on serial number (unwilling or unable!?). At least it has not been sent in to service.
Retailer do not want to risk ending up with an unsold open box item and I do not want to risk loosing the 30% restocking fee.

Feel stuck between a rock and a hard place  |O. Unless someone can check a camera with later serial number than 6392.76xx and confirm firmware 1.22.0.

I have the camera on hold for a few more days, that's it.

(PS. This retailer may have a couple of more of these in stock).

Online Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5480 on: September 09, 2014, 06:38:44 pm »
Tell the seller he should open the box and look at the version on the FLIR E4-screen, if he wants to sell you his stuff then he could at least do this.

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5481 on: September 09, 2014, 06:45:47 pm »
  I dont think seller need to open it to check for S/N # is out of box or unless you want seller to check for F/W.

Offline ThermalGuru

• Contributor
« Reply #5482 on: September 09, 2014, 07:51:57 pm »
Tom9999, I asked the seller to check for firmware, but they did not want to open the box. I am not sure why that is, if they have to break the packaging in order to do so?
I know other authorized sellers have checked firmware, but these guys did not want to :(.
These guys are potentially the only guys with any 1.22.0 left in stock - if I only could have someone confirm serial 6392.76xx for me...

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5483 on: September 09, 2014, 08:03:01 pm »
Tom9999, I asked the seller to check for firmware, but they did not want to open the box. I am not sure why that is, if they have to break the packaging in order to do so?
I know other authorized sellers have checked firmware, but these guys did not want to :(.
These guys are potentially the only guys with any 1.22.0 left in stock - if I only could have someone confirm serial 6392.76xx for me...

I think maybe seller know weren't anymore old stocks that they didn't want to open it.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5484 on: September 09, 2014, 08:05:37 pm »

Not enough data points but first one with 2.1.0 showed up 5 days after Flir released the firmware update on their website. and that was 6392.85xx

So chances are you are good, but nothing that will totally ensure it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332428/#msg332428

Offline Garfield

« Reply #5485 on: September 09, 2014, 08:28:13 pm »
With the hack does it increase the E4 thermal sensitiviely from 0.15c to 0.06c?

Offline Tom9999

• Contributor
« Reply #5486 on: September 09, 2014, 10:30:25 pm »

Not enough data points but first one with 2.1.0 showed up 5 days after Flir released the firmware update on their website. and that was 6392.85xx

So chances are you are good, but nothing that will totally ensure it.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/flir-e4-the-useful-information-thread/msg332428/#msg332428

also same as S/N 6392.79xx

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5487 on: September 09, 2014, 10:35:17 pm »
AFAIK nobody has figured out the exact reason for the sensitivity difference in spec between E4 and E8 (if any) - could be sensor differences, could be more accurate calibration. I don't think any reference to it has been found in any of the config files.   
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline ThermalGuru

• Contributor
« Reply #5488 on: September 09, 2014, 10:50:04 pm »
  also same as S/N 6392.79xx

Not sure what you mean? Same as in 1.22.0?

Offline Garfield

« Reply #5489 on: September 10, 2014, 01:00:56 am »
AFAIK nobody has figured out the exact reason for the sensitivity difference in spec between E4 and E8 (if any) - could be sensor differences, could be more accurate calibration. I don't think any reference to it has been found in any of the config files.   

Thanks mikeselectricstuff.  If I understand correctly, the E4 and E8 was the same hardware except for features crippled (reduced) in firmware.  So the hack E4 should have the same thermal sensitivity as the E8?

Online Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5490 on: September 10, 2014, 01:31:31 am »
Just tested the E4 without the battery: powered by a isolated DCDC-converter and a LDO, set to 4,0V via the battery-connection (didnt use the powerpin on the FFC-connector because it wasnt hardwired to the battery, scared of damaging the board). When i then connect the micro-usb, it connects to the pc like usual and the charger thinks the "battery" is full and i just get the "connected"-icon on the lcd (again wasted sensorscreen  :'( ).
Know i just have to load the lcd-backlight-converter with another diode/resistor instead of the lcd. I cant find the converter whos responsible for the lcd. It must be the lonely IC (no partnumber) with the inductor, apart from the Dialog-Chip http://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/products/power-management/da9021 ,but im not sure and dont really care about the lost 200mA or so.
I tried connecting the command-console-txd/rxd pins to a USB/RS232-3,3V converter-cable, but the E4 restarts when i send commands via RS232 (telnet works). Do you still know the baudrate and the other stuff (i assume 8N1)?

Apart from the UART it works beautifully :) Of course its still a little bigger than your smallest thermalcam, but i fits my requirements.  :-+

Offline Pinkus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5491 on: September 10, 2014, 01:23:55 pm »
Hi there,

a few days ago I mentioned a problem with my E4. It still exists as I do not get access to it. I now need a hint how to proceed best:

What I did:
I renamed accidentely the folder FlashBFS/System/ui.d/presets.d
AND (dumb as I was) I switched USB from RNDIS to the option at the top (very probably MSD) |O

Now, when I start the camera a message appears that Appcore.exe has crashed (I assume because it does not have access to presets.d).
The camera powers up (behind the crash message the thermal picture is visible). But I cannot use any of the buttons - the E4 is not reacting, so I cannot set it back to RNDIS to correct my mistake.

I do have USB connection (= I can see the DCIM directory) but I do not get a connection through FLIRInstallNet.exe after installing the FlirDeviceDrivers. Why not? Probably because I selected MSD and not UVC at the USB menu.

I know I now should be able to enable RNDIS through the serial interface (by sending the command "usbfn RNDIS") and using the FTP program to add the missing directory, but this would mean getting a 0.5mm cable first and then opening the E4. I would like to avoid this.

Is there any other way heal my mistake without opening the E4?
E.g. copy the missing files to the directory with some autostart file. Or a hint to disable all measurement features of the display (such as box, hot spot etc.) because without anything on the screen the camera should not need the access to the folder "presets.d" thus allowing me to enable RNDIS again.

Thanks!!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:46:47 pm by Pinkus »

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5492 on: September 10, 2014, 01:35:09 pm »
Just tested the E4 without the battery: powered by a isolated DCDC-converter and a LDO, set to 4,0V via the battery-connection (didnt use the powerpin on the FFC-connector because it wasnt hardwired to the battery, scared of damaging the board).
I think there is probably a MOSFET switch between that pin and the battery, to disconnect the load during charging. I suspect that applying power to that pin would work, without any interference from the charger, though it's possible the battery manager might report a fault status in the absence of the battery.
As this node is at the exact same voltage as the battery when the battery is there I think it's unlikely there would be a risk of damage.

Incidentally has anyone actually confirmed the presence of the serial console port functionality on 1.2x? Does the 1.2x firmware package include the command-line interpreter?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5493 on: September 10, 2014, 05:53:21 pm »
For anyone wanting a more compact thermal camera that can produce 160x120 pixel images at a very reasonable cost, take a look at my Post here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/nec-avio-f30s-thermal-camera-nice-camera-at-a-great-price/msg510639/#msg510639

Its a camera by NEC AVIO of Japan, a well respected thermal camera producer. These have been used in remote controlled drones as they are both compact, light and provide both USB digital and Composite video outputs...... think Thermal camera version of a Go-Pro and you are not far off !

Mine arrived today and I am impressed with it.

Aurora
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 05:55:42 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Online Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5494 on: September 10, 2014, 06:03:54 pm »
Hmm, gotta check the usb/rs232-connection again to see if i connected it wrong or maybe they closed the UART via Firmware as you mentioned. Also will look at the debug-output to see if its still functioning (didnt check yesterday) and maybe its the same baudrate necessary for the command-UART.

Its not that i really need the UART, im just to lazy to waste a week or so to learn about Telnet-Client programming in C++ when i can go via a simpler approach.  >:D

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #5495 on: September 10, 2014, 06:44:56 pm »
For anyone wanting a more compact thermal camera that can produce 160x120 pixel images at a very reasonable cost, take a look at my Post here:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/nec-avio-f30s-thermal-camera-nice-camera-at-a-great-price/msg510639/#msg510639

Its a camera by NEC AVIO of Japan, a well respected thermal camera producer. These have been used in remote controlled drones as they are both compact, light and provide both USB digital and Composite video outputs...... think Thermal camera version of a Go-Pro and you are not far off !

Mine arrived today and I am impressed with it.

Aurora
teardown please  :D

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5496 on: September 10, 2014, 07:13:12 pm »
Mike,

Fear not, her clothes will be removed once I have made sure all is well before playing  ;)

I just weighed the camera without batteries but with battery holder and it weighs 210g.... great for a drone application  :-+
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline joe-c

• Frequent Contributor
    • Joe-c.de
« Reply #5497 on: September 10, 2014, 09:21:33 pm »
Hello,

I think the E4 has the same thermal sensitivity like the E8. But on the E4 was a "noise generator" enabled with the value of 150... this seems to be a thermal additional noise for each pixel. If you use a stock E4 and deactivate the noise generator you'll get a clean image.

So the hack does not incase the thermal sensitivity... he prevent only the deterioration of your thermal image.
Freeware Thermal Analysis Software: ThermoVision_Joe-C
Some Thermal cameras: Kameras

Offline chriseparent

• Contributor
« Reply #5498 on: September 10, 2014, 11:00:50 pm »
Couple of questions.... Live streaming of a modified E4.  I used Marphys EXE - many thanks Marphy and all the rest of you.  Now I don't seem to be able to activate live streaming via flir tools, VLC or the Flir Camera Player.  In FLIR tools, I connect to live streaming, it works away for about 3 minutes and then returns a CAMERA_RTREE_CONNECT_ERROR. :-//

Also, I am interested in developing a telephoto converter for this camera.  Has anyone worked out what the thread for the std E4 lens mount is?  I might see if I can work out a connector that joins the therm app 19mm lens to the E4.

Good luck.   Let us know how the telephoto comes along....  :clap:

Online Echo88

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5499 on: September 11, 2014, 01:14:14 am »
After fiddling around with my LA on the FLIR i got it to work with the USB/RS232-converter, Baudrate is 38400. It seems the cam just responds to the commands if sent twice, dont know why but it isnt such a problem cause i gotta poll the answer from the FLIR anyway. Gotta look if i find a nice small enclosure for the modded cam.  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf