Poll

Has the hackabiliy of the E4 made you buy one :  

Yes, I was already looking at the competition at a similar price, but the hack swung it to E4
274 (27.9%)
Yes, I'd not considered buying a TIC before, but 320x240 resolution at this price justifies it (as either tool or toy!)
444 (45.3%)
Yes, I was going to buy an E5/6/8 class of unit but will now get the E4
49 (5%)
No, but am looking out for a cheap i3 to hack
50 (5.1%)
Not yet, but probably will if now that a closed-box hack becomes is possible
164 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 803

Author Topic: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown  (Read 3803757 times)

Offline jumbo

• Contributor
Re: Flir E4 Thermal imaging camera teardown
« Reply #7400 on: November 19, 2015, 03:10:39 pm »

You can do that in the service menu, although I don't have an E4 to test that with... it works for other FLIR cameras however.

I did it! ;) so

instruction for dummies like me;)

1. Connect EXX in RNDIS mode by USB to computer with Windows XP
2. Open browser and write address 192.168.0.2 (ip of camera can be else)
3. Cick Service menu, then active and wait 60 sec
4. Go to Calibration->Enable/Disable Cases
5. Click 0 C to 650 "Enable" Submit

BTW. why when I try to turn ON from 200 to 1200 there is a message "No RBF"
Is here 3D printable lens for EXX? 45 Degree?

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7401 on: November 19, 2015, 06:28:00 pm »

Hmmmm - sounds interesting - but it wont work for cameras that have been updated to 2.3.0 due to the service menu files being removed.

I do wonder how hard it would be to restore the needed files?

I am going to look into this when I get home as I have quite a bit backed up from the prev firmware's.

Offline TimmyWilkins

« Reply #7402 on: November 19, 2015, 07:56:39 pm »
Hey guys, thanks for the hard work and investigating... Just got my E4 the other day and have a quick question. I'm running mostly Linux and while I've found instructions that  describe how to get to the USB mode menu setting [see below], when I get there, I can't actually change the current MSC + UVC mode (meaning: no matter which option I select, it does not change the current mode).

Does anyone have any advice on how to change the USB mode via the menu?

I have the an E4, 2.3.0, 1.2L.

Thanks!

e.g. http://andrew.daviel.org/E4-blog.html
 "Settings/Device Settings/Camera Information by pressing and holding the right cursor for some ten seconds. A new menu appears with USB mode, Export information and Version information"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:16:07 pm by TimmyWilkins »

Offline max-bit

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7403 on: November 19, 2015, 08:32:37 pm »
Is someone able to solve this problem?
(associated with upgrading the cameras from 1.19.8 to 2.3.0):

More on the site "fubar" http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/] [url]http://fubar.gr/hacking-the-flir-e4/[/url]  (comments)

E4 updated firmware 1.19 to version 2.3.0
 Unfortunately it does not work HACK MENU
 First, the file extension “conf” is a .cfg ( my camera) and according to the description on this page conf.cfc? (new camera)
 Secondly, when trying to use a Python script, there is a mistake:

applying 5178 bytes of delta at 000004d8
 traceback (most recent call last:)
 file “menu_conf_e4.py” line 12, in
 assert len(d) == len(delta)
 assertionerror …

E8 menu exists but it is incomplete.
 Does not work “MENU free enhancend menu”
etc …
PS
 Camera had a previous hack to version 1.19
Hack resolution from what I’ve seen has been maintained from the previous hack.
 I also wrote to the people of the website “fubar” because that’s where the problem was also prompted tem.
 Does anyone know what is the difference between conf.cfg files and conf.cfc (conf.cfc are in newer releases of cameras)

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7404 on: November 20, 2015, 01:49:32 am »

Hmmmm - sounds interesting - but it wont work for cameras that have been updated to 2.3.0 due to the service menu files being removed.

I am going to look into this when I get home as I have quite a bit backed up from the prev firmware's.

Well I believe I have restored all the needed files to operate the service menu but I am running into "Production application not available!" errors on any pages that require access to prodapp.exe. The file is present but any attempt to start it seems to silently fail as I cannot see in in the PS list.

I remember talk of messing around with it in older versions but I seem to be coming up short on a solution.

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7405 on: November 20, 2015, 02:57:40 am »
Does anyone have any advice on how to change the USB mode via

Let me save you time. The answer is no you cant change it in 2.3.0, either stock or doctored one. Just accept this.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline TimmyWilkins

« Reply #7406 on: November 20, 2015, 06:15:38 am »
Does anyone have any advice on how to change the USB mode via

Let me save you time. The answer is no you cant change it in 2.3.0, either stock or doctored one.

Ok, I thought there might have been some trick, like using another button or holding it down for longer...

Just accept this.

I've been getting this a lot recently! Will do!

Offline jumbo

• Contributor
« Reply #7407 on: November 20, 2015, 11:02:49 am »

Well I believe I have restored all the needed files to operate the service menu but I am running into "Production application not available!" errors on any pages that require access to prodapp.exe. The file is present but any attempt to start it seems to silently fail as I cannot see in in the PS list.

I remember talk of messing around with it in older versions but I seem to be coming up short on a solution.

Sorry, You misunderstand me, I have E30

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7408 on: November 20, 2015, 11:16:43 am »
A little way back in this thread we were asked about upgrading from firmware 1.19 to 2.3 and whether the hack could still be applied.

The response from others and me was to leave the camera at firmware 1.19. Sadly the reason for this is as you have experienced. IIRC some clever members of this forum managed to circumvent the encrypted protection applied by FLIR to firmware 2.3. The work-around does not work well with cameras upgraded from firmware 1.19 to 2.3 as the file structures are different. Firmware 2.3 was also stripped of useful 'engineering' functionality so that such could not be utilised to aid hacking. It was FLIRs most serious attempt to prevent the E4 upgrade to date.

Firmware 1.19 is the last firmware that not only performed well, but is also eminently suitable for upgrades and changes. It does not contain any serious anti hacking protection, or sanitisation of engineering files. Firmware 2.3 may have been tamed by members of this forum, but it remains a hobbled version of 1.19. Any improvements made to 2.3 are offset by what is lost in terms of adaptability.

For anyone thinking of upgrading from 1.19 (or 1.21/1.22) to 2.31, think very carefully about what you will gain and lose. At this time there is no reversion route back to 1.19.

Just my 2 cents as a long term user of the technology.

Fraser
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7409 on: November 20, 2015, 11:22:53 am »
the firmware 1.19.8 does not support "Realtime raw radiometric data streaming via UVC"

successful upgraded the E4 from 1.19.8 to 2.3.0 with Flir Tools
The resolution hack survived the update (nothing else to do).

the RAW stream grabbing now works fine :)

see details for RAW streaming:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-ex-realtime-raw-radiometric-data-streaming-via-uvc/msg729604/#msg729604

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7410 on: November 20, 2015, 11:29:15 am »
I added in my old post a picture from a hacked Flir One Gen 2
The Flir library make an internal upscale to 200%

I wrote here something about the new Flir One G2 with Lepton 160x120.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/flir-one-thermal-imaging-camera-teardown-and-hacks/msg801504/#msg801504

I shot comparison photos with Flir One G1, Flir One G2 , Flir E4 and Flir E40 from a motherboard.
The temperature scale is auto-level...

Flir One G2 Lepton 160x120 with hacked config file

Flir Ex 320x240

« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:31:31 am by tomas123 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7411 on: November 20, 2015, 11:34:30 am »
@Tomas123,

Some users are using the RPi and other hosts for video streaming out of firmware 1.19, but not RAW data (?). The decision to upgrade to 2.3 is dependant upon what is gained Vs what is lost. With no reversion route, the decision is not simple for some users who may need a more adaptable firmware.

I personally do not need or want streaming out of my camera so the decision to stick with 1.19 is easy.

Thanks for highlighting one of the positives relating to 2.3.

Fraser
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:43:05 am by Fraser »

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7412 on: November 20, 2015, 12:11:33 pm »
@Fraser
I think, that no more than 3 eevblog readers use the raw streaming feature  :'(

PS: What do you think about the image quality of the new Lepton sensor?

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7413 on: November 20, 2015, 01:49:23 pm »
The new Lepton 3 performance is limited by the lens system and the small microbolometer is a compromise solution in order to achieve its diminutive dimensions. That said, I am VERY impressed with what FLIR have achieved with this core. It's tiny 😀

I am a little disappointed that FLIR have seen fit to have MSX permanently enabled and to do their usual trick of degrading the image quality so that the cheaper product line does not impact on the more expensive product lines. It's just the companies marketing policy at work but it would be great to 'tweak' the APP to enable the cameras full capabilities. The cropping of the image was also an unpleasant surprise. If MSX alignment was the issue, a suitable visible light camera lens should have been used to match the thermal camera FOV. I believe the issue is actuall more to do with the poor performance of the thermal camera lens and its associated distortion. Somewhat of a waste of good pixels though.

All in all, I believe the F1G2 and the LEPTON 3 used within it, offer excellent value for money and performance in line with what I would expect of FLIR in this market segment.

And at least FLIR make their SDK freely available to users without any jumping through hoops or NDA's 👍

Fraser

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7414 on: November 20, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
I think, that no more than 3 eevblog readers use the raw streaming feature  :'(

Without a easy way for it to run on winblows - even with the awesome instructions I think it went over 99.99% of peoples heads...
I have been working with computers for 25 years and have so rarely needed to touch linux I would without question call myself a n00b and I got it running - but it was much more of a time investment then I normally put in and can see why there was so little feedback on it.

Still a cool feature none the less!

With 2.3.0 and the newer menu hack you can get very similar (but not raw) output without extra graphics on the screen on winblows with common tools already as well so that could be a contributing factor as well.

Sorry, You misunderstand me, I have E30

Ahhh - yes that could make a difference!

Still though - restoring the engineering menu on E4+ with 2.3.0 could be useful.  Still playing around trying to find out what could be stopping the prodapp service from running or if it needs other files from other folders (not just the exe) to work correctly.

Offline tomas123

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7415 on: November 20, 2015, 02:40:43 pm »
And at least FLIR make their SDK freely available to users without any jumping through hoops or NDA's 👍

The SDK is freely avaible, after an email registration. With the SDK it's simple to write apps without MSX, but currently nobody develop a nice app  :(

I think, that the Flir One "SDK License Agreement" contains no more mantraps as other license agreement
http://developer.flir.com/register/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:43:43 pm by tomas123 »

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7416 on: November 20, 2015, 03:08:16 pm »
FLIR are running F1G2 'hacker' events around the world at the moment. An interesting concept to encourage new APP development, and community buy-in to the platform.  The term 'Hacker' is not really appropriate to these events though. Developer events would be a more accurate term IMHO. Sadly we could see FLIR wishing to limit any true hacking of the hardware or firmware at such events as it likely does not suit their business model.

Maybe FLIR recognise that the user community could be a wonderful 'developer soup' from which to gain new and interesting applications that promote the product line.

I wish SEEK Thermal was as forward thinking. It could have lead to many excellent new APPS for that platform.

Fraser

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7417 on: November 20, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »
FLIR are running F1G2 'hacker' events around the world at the moment. An interesting concept to encourage new APP development, and community buy-in to the platform.  The term 'Hacker' is not really appropriate to these events though. Developer events would be a more accurate term IMHO. Sadly we could see FLIR wishing to limit any true hacking of the hardware or firmware at such events as it likely does not suit their business model.

Maybe FLIR recognise that the user community could be a wonderful 'developer soup' from which to gain new and interesting applications that promote the product line.

I wish SEEK Thermal was as forward thinking. It could have lead to many excellent new APPS for that platform.

Fraser

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7418 on: November 20, 2015, 04:11:14 pm »
Holder for macro lenses. Designed for Flir E-series. New model. Perhaps someone interesting. https://youtu.be/UG-XuUb1GrU
In the photo the photo of your hand. Black dots are pores. Through them, the skin is cooled.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:05:39 am by Uho »

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7419 on: November 20, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »
Nice images, for macro work the modified E4 plus a 3d printed lens holder beats a standard E60 hands down.
For maximum effect try rainbow or rainbow high contrast palettes, would make those images even more impressive.

Offline Detsorgsekalf

« Reply #7420 on: November 23, 2015, 09:42:09 am »
Greetings
Is it possible to measure area on a thermal image using FLIR Tools?
Can you help me to create panorama from i3 (upgraded to i7) images?
The panorama from flir tools plus is very bad.
I've read post #2085 from tomas123 about it, but I didn't understand it well.
Thank you
Yauheni
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:16:55 pm by Detsorgsekalf »

Offline OrBy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7421 on: November 24, 2015, 03:27:25 pm »
Can you help me to create panorama from i3 (upgraded to i7) images?
The panorama from flir tools plus is very bad.
I've read post #2085 from tomas123 about it, but I didn't understand it well.

What steps are you having issues at? Are you seeing errors?
I have played with making pano's quite a bit using tomas123's script.

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7422 on: November 26, 2015, 12:58:39 pm »
I am often asked about my telephoto lens for Flir E-series. I sent the lens to  friend for the test. He made a lot of tests. In the photo some of them. Comparison of digital and optical zoom. The use of the diaphragm in front of the eyepiece. Aperture increases depth of field and contrast but also increases noise. This is well illustrated by the example of the walls of the house. Some apartments have external insulation. Distance to wall about 80m.
 The results of the tests are good but I want to do even better.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:09:38 am by Uho »

Offline lwi004

• Contributor
Locking the temperature range after restart
« Reply #7423 on: November 26, 2015, 01:36:42 pm »
Hi

I have an E8+......

Can't rememebr which of the latest menu  hacks but somehwere in Dec 2014. It's 2.3.0

Is there anyway of keeping the manual range between shutdowns?

Thanks.

I'm wondering if the new presets in the advanced 2014 menu hack of Janekivi would solve this? ---------- Just installed latest update - No it doesn't save the temperature range in a preset!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:24:50 pm by lwi004 »

Offline Pauloven

• Contributor
« Reply #7424 on: November 26, 2015, 04:20:04 pm »
Nice! the first telephoto I see for E series>>>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf