Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3470907 times)

carrascoso, indman and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #2275 on: July 24, 2016, 05:01:54 pm »
It depends where you are. If you are in the United States as your flag indicates, there are no free shipping options. But if you live else where, there may be free shipping options. Just to double check I changed my country to 'Russian Federation' on the site, and there were 2 free shipping options, as well as 2 faster paid shipping options.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2276 on: July 24, 2016, 06:05:48 pm »
something very important.

dont follow the advice of any assholes with video's, blogs or websites that say to re-write the firmware in a chinese USBasp.

i'm getting sick of it, the firmware in the chinese programmers is newer and better than the old 2011 firmware.
the error message you see is simply because your trying to set the timing on firmware that auto-calibrates and does not need to be set - ignore the SCK error!

Offline maxcombor

« Reply #2277 on: July 24, 2016, 06:15:05 pm »
For all beginners simpliest way is serial port programming with only 3 resistors and one jumper for reset pin, copy downloaded files in root c:\ (TransistorTester.hex and TransistorTester.eep ) I`m soldered pin header  from downside direct on atmega pins and program in three seconds .

In avrdude.conf change inverted reset to non-inverted

reset = 3

and with next 3 comands programm atmega

avrdude -p ATMEGA328P -c ponyser -P COM1  -U flash:w:"C:\TransistorTester.hex":i

avrdude -p ATMEGA328P -c ponyser -P COM1  -U eeprom:w:"C:\TransistorTester.eep":i

avrdude -p ATMEGA328P -c ponyser -P COM1 -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m

Fusebits are for default 8Mhz version.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:29:03 pm by maxcombor »

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce, flywheelz, vinceroger

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2278 on: July 24, 2016, 06:33:32 pm »
you forgot to set the fusebytes
 :o

The following users thanked this post: maxcombor

Offline maxcombor

« Reply #2279 on: July 24, 2016, 08:40:09 pm »
STJ , funny but on all 3 my peaces fuses and eeprom are programmed , but without flash . Corected commands in previous post.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 08:56:30 pm by maxcombor »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2280 on: July 24, 2016, 09:13:04 pm »
ah yes, but some people are changing the chip.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #2281 on: July 24, 2016, 11:16:45 pm »
It depends where you are. If you are in the United States as your flag indicates, there are no free shipping options. But if you live else where, there may be free shipping options. Just to double check I changed my country to 'Russian Federation' on the site, and there were 2 free shipping options, as well as 2 faster paid shipping options.
Then they need to change the description and remove the words "Free Shipping".
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline maxcombor

« Reply #2282 on: July 25, 2016, 12:58:37 pm »
User manual and shematic in pdf for mega328_color_kit , thanks bmht for photo. 

The following users thanked this post: MattP79

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #2283 on: July 25, 2016, 01:34:54 pm »

Offline fitch

• Contributor
« Reply #2284 on: July 25, 2016, 07:32:13 pm »
Hi all,
Add me to the list of owners.  Got my kit from eBay for $12.99 with free shipping.  Everything seems to work fine.

I have questions on building the firmware:
  • Is the github repository up do date with regard to the k firmware?
  • I see that there are some version issues with avr-gcc.  I have a Window10 machine which is my first choice to build on, but I can also set up Linux in a VM.  Can I build the fw with AVR Studio?  Any way to use the arduino IDE?

Thanks!

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2285 on: July 25, 2016, 09:45:04 pm »
Just because you are American?

I also don't get the free shipping option in the UK, but really - 11 pence for shipping from China? It's as good as free.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #2286 on: July 26, 2016, 01:21:15 am »
Just because you are American?

I also don't get the free shipping option in the UK, but really - 11 pence for shipping from China? It's as good as free.
No, just because it is not truthful writing that it is free shipping when it isn't.

You are the first Brit I have interacted with who exhibited a very poor attitude.
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline tom666

• Regular Contributor
    • Slovak discussion forum - AVR Component Tester (RLC/ESR & Semiconductors Tester)
« Reply #2288 on: July 26, 2016, 07:09:00 am »
Is the github repository up do date with regard to the k firmware?

GitHub repository is up do date.

I see that there are some version issues with avr-gcc.  I have a Window10 machine which is my first choice to build on, but I can also set up Linux in a VM.  Can I build the fw with AVR Studio?  Any way to use the arduino IDE?

To edit the source code and compile the firmware I recommend a use WinAVR with an updated version of the AVR-GCC. After update the AVR-GCC (I recommend to version 4.8.1) is need to use fix of the compilation error ("MSYS-1.0.dll") - applies to Win 8, 8.1 & 10.

Offline fitch

• Contributor
« Reply #2289 on: July 26, 2016, 08:40:16 pm »
@tom666
Thanks for the info.  I was going to install then update WinAVR, but the installation wanted to muck with my path, I decided I did not trust it.  Instead, I have an Ubuntu 16.04 installation running in a virtual machine, and was able to install gcc-avr and avr-libc.  This works fine, and I don't need to corrupt my Windows 10.

By the way, my tester uses an ATMEGA328P, and even though the gcc-avr installed was 4.9.2, everything built fine and fit inside the part.

Bill

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2290 on: July 26, 2016, 09:53:24 pm »
What is the age / evolution of this chip , I may have to look through my container of chips to be scraped , mostly older gear , thats why it occurred to me how long its been around ?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #2291 on: July 28, 2016, 06:54:32 pm »
A quick update about running the tester at 20MHz. I've haven't tested every component and function yet, but it's running fine so far. If everything goes well, I'll release the new version in one or two weeks. It has several improvements for the semiconductor detection and a few bug fixes.

The following users thanked this post: jct, bitseeker, maxcombor

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2292 on: July 29, 2016, 07:47:29 am »
Got a problem writing the efuse part, it is givng an error. The command issued is:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m328p -B 4.0 -e -U flash:w:"TransistorTester.hex":i -U eeprom:w:"TransistorTester.eep":i -U lfuse:w:0xF7:m -U hfuse:w:0xD9:m -U efuse:w:0x04:m

avrdude: reading input file "0x04"
avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):

Writing |                                                    | 0% 0.00s ***failed;
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.04s

avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
avrdude: verifying efuse memory against 0x04:
avrdude: load data efuse data from input file 0x04:
avrdude: input file 0x04 contains 1 bytes
avrdude: reading on-chip efuse data:

Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s

avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: verification error, first mismatch at byte 0x0000
         0xfc != 0x04
avrdude: verification error; content mismatch

avrdude: safemode: efuse changed! Was 4, and is now fc
Would you like this fuse to be changed back? [y/n]

Someone knowing what could be the cause of it?
The programmed 328p chip does however work.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2293 on: July 29, 2016, 09:25:22 am »
You can ignore that error. It's a known issue with an incorrect definition in avrdude's configuration file. From Karl-Heinz' documentation:
The program avrdude probably reports a error for setting the extended fuse efuse. The reading of unused
fuse bits is specified as ”1” for the ATmega, but the avrdude program mask the unused bits, so that
it expect a ”0” for all unused bits. Normally the efuse should be set to 0xfc, but avrdude read back
0x04 with the mask. You can change the file avrdude.conf to change the behaviour of avrdude or
you can set the efuse to 0x04.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 02:25:37 pm by madires »

Offline Willem52

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2294 on: July 29, 2016, 02:24:28 pm »
@Madires: Thank you very much for the explanation!

Offline ja421

• Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project (separate frequency ports?)
« Reply #2295 on: July 29, 2016, 07:51:59 pm »
I have read thru most of the posts but didn't see / find an answer.
I have noticed that some of the ebay clones of the project have separate ports for frequency in/out and battery voltage test.
From my limited understanding, the regular ones can do these thru the regular zip socket using pins #1 & #2 (and selecting the proper menu item)

Is there a technical benefit to getting one with separate ports vs one that doesn't ?
For simple comparison, here's two links:

This has separate ports (bottom is frequency out and voltage test; top is frequency in)
This one re-uses it's regular pins for freq in/out, and voltage test

Just curious if one is better/more robust than the other...

Offline hapless

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project (separate frequency ports?)
« Reply #2296 on: July 30, 2016, 12:36:43 am »
Normally, they can't do that through the 1-2-3 socket. From the page for the one without frequency measurement input: "B. extensions (via menu selection, and the user may want to add a few components, suitable for DIY)." Read: It won't work until you add those "few components."

BTW, you may want to fix your links.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2297 on: July 30, 2016, 01:19:39 am »
damn those chinese bastards, those sellers are calling the TFT kit a "GM328" or "GM328A"

that's going to lead to people flashing them with the wrong firmware!
i call them the "2578AY-AT" - it's printed on them!

Offline ja421

• Contributor
« Reply #2298 on: July 30, 2016, 01:27:42 am »
Thanks.  I guess I will try the 'real' version (I was having a problem finding a pcb, but I'll keep looking).
Appreciate your time & thoughts.

Any chance there is one ebay (or other) version that is considered 'better'?  I know better is subjective, but I'm going to be traveling in a small RV and am really looking for as few kit items as possible, so handling more options (ie: frequency counting/generation) is a plus...   
I have noticed a lot don't have ISP, and some have unsocketed MPU's ; which makes updating firmware harder, but not impossible... (I have read that some lock the memory?)

Anyway -- thanks. I'll keep looking around.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 01:51:16 am by ja421 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2299 on: July 30, 2016, 10:39:39 am »
The output of the PWM or squarewave signal runs via the standard probe pins. Additional probe pins are required for the Zener test and the frequency counter. There are two versions of the frequency counter. A simple one with a few parts (ATmega328) and a more complex one with a prescaler and oscillator for crystals (ATmega644). Both are depicted in Karl-Heinz' documentation.

If you like to update the tester, you'll need the current k or m-firmware. The Chinese clone vendors don't provide any updates, AFAIK. And some lock the MCUs to prevent others to read the firmware. It's  |O, since the whole project is OSHW. Anyway, it's handy to have a copy of the original firmware, just in case.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf