Author Topic: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply  (Read 377526 times)

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RuiDeng Riden RD6006 DC power supply
« Reply #850 on: November 04, 2021, 06:29:21 pm »

Hopefully Unisoft offers his opinion in response to your questions. For me, I have a RD6018 with the 800 Watt supply and case that was advertised with it. Later, I purchased a RD6006P when it was released. Happy with both. For the 6006P I got a Meanwell 48 Volt, 280 Watt desktop PS (i.e. a brick) which I assumed would be floating but for some reason MW connected the protective ground to the negative output. Got around that with a modified (probably illegal) power cable. So my 6006P is quieter electrically and acoustically. Even under no load the 800 Watt supply runs its fan (quite loud) for a few minutes every 20 minutes. The MW supply is higher quality, its specs say > 95% efficient and only gets warm under a (200 Watt) load test.

Ah, one down side I noticed while experimenting with Unisoft's new "green power" option. The relay in the 6006P is rated at 30 VDC at 10 Amps. So running "green power" mode > 30 Volts (or charging a battery at > 30 Volts) output might risk some arcing in that relay. I expect Unisoft can fix this in his firmware :-)

When in "green power" mode, the options under the battery setup are disabled (I assume). The one I miss is the timer. Could that be enabled for "green power" mode? There is no visual indication when "green power" mode is active, but there is an acoustic one: the click of the relay when the on/off lit button changes state. Also noticed that the relay is not bistable (it is normally open) so when the input power is removed in "green power" mode the relay will open. IMO that is good.

Thank you for your opinion, I'm not going to use the green function, I prefer to leave the green terminal as is. so no problem to me :) concerning input power supply I only use home built power transformer and lithium battery packs so output is cleaner, in this last case it was necessary a protection feature, that's the new "min input" feature I asked unisoft to add. I thank him for that. This feature protects my battery packs from overdischarging when used as input power source. A must have!

Offline ElectricPower

• Frequent Contributor
  • I have many opinions but have no idea
    • Turer, fjas & slabberas
« Reply #851 on: November 05, 2021, 04:11:56 am »
I have assembled my new RD6006P and tested it.

No noise from the fan and the fan is not starting uprapidly when powering on. All works wery good :)

I can see an 0.001 voltage off regards to the set voltage, but i assume it is a little voltage drop?

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #852 on: November 05, 2021, 12:42:40 pm »
Ah, one down side I noticed while experimenting with Unisoft's new "green power" option. The relay in the 6006P is rated at 30 VDC at 10 Amps. So running "green power" mode > 30 Volts (or charging a battery at > 30 Volts) output might risk some arcing in that relay. I expect Unisoft can fix this in his firmware :-)

That's interesting. I actually took a quick look for a replacement relay but couldn't find any with contacts rated for more than 30VDC. I'm starting to think that maybe that's as high as they go in that form factor. Found plenty rated for higher current, though.

Offline ElectricPower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #853 on: November 06, 2021, 12:10:51 am »
My last Riden has arrived today :)

Now, i have one RD6006P and two RD6018. I love these :)

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #854 on: November 06, 2021, 10:41:11 am »
I'm thinking about buying the RD6006P does your custom firmware have the exact same features of the RD6006?
yes, exact the same.

Since you have both units do you think it's worth the upgrade to the "P" unit?
I have no idea, it all depends on your needs.

I know from what I read it has less ripple and more precision, but besides that will I gain anything else?
nothing else.
Perhaps someone who uses them more actively will be able to provide more comments.

I've been wanting to ask for a while, what's planned for the "under construction" menu?
Then I planned to add the ability to edit calibrations.
Now I'm not sure if this is necessary.
Maybe someday someone will suggest something interesting.

"green power" mode
Interesting name for the option.
I thought about how to name it, so that it was clear and that the string would fit.
Maybe someone will suggest something else? (max 14 chars).

The relay in the 6006P is rated at 30 VDC at 10 Amps. So running "green power" mode > 30 Volts (or charging a battery at > 30 Volts) output might risk some arcing in that relay.
I expect Unisoft can fix this in his firmware :-)
Yes, this problem exists.
How to fix? Just limit the output voltage?
And if someone still needs more than 30V? The stock firmware does not limit the output voltage.

When in "green power" mode, the options under the battery setup are disabled (I assume).
Sure

The one I miss is the timer. Could that be enabled for "green power" mode?
What timer?
What problem with
SHIFT + UP 
Options: "Timer mode", "Timer off", "Timer on"
(And in "--- Appearance ---" menu, option "Timer icon", to visually see the left time in the icon)

There is no visual indication when "green power" mode is active...
There is no space on the screen :(

The following users thanked this post: ptluis

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #855 on: November 06, 2021, 11:15:32 am »
RD6012P already available for order (now have discount 2021.11.5 - 2021.11.10 PST)
https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005003472332331.html
https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79655

PS: No custom firmware is planned for the RD6012P.
However, as well as investing in its purchase.

Offline AlexTee

• Contributor
« Reply #856 on: November 06, 2021, 12:20:27 pm »
Let's organize a fund raising to obtainin a RD6012P for Unisoft. First of all, he deserves one, and second, if he decides to release a firmware for it, he will have it available on his desk :)
I'm in.

The following users thanked this post: dougg, Eltax1693, ghoes, trazor, trmntr

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #857 on: November 06, 2021, 03:36:02 pm »

I've been wanting to ask for a while, what's planned for the "under construction" menu?
Then I planned to add the ability to edit calibrations.
Now I'm not sure if this is necessary.
Maybe someday someone will suggest something interesting.

That would be a nice feature since it will avoid the need for a PC when minor adjustments are needed. I vote for that.  :-+
I change locations frequently and some times the calibration deviates a small value. I calibrate them in summer at 30º room temperature and now with 16º room temperature and more humidity they display/output a little deviation. All equipment up and running for 1 hour.

For example one of my units in August 30º celsius:
  Set voltage: 4.20V
  Display/Real output:4.199V

Set voltage: 3.30V
  Display/Real output: 3.29(7)(9)V

Today 16º celsius:
  Set voltage: 4.20V
  *Display 4.18(0)(2)V
  Real output:4.19(0)(1)V

Set voltage: 3.30V
  *Display 3.28(6)(7)V
  Real output: 3.29(5)(6)V

So this feature would be nice addon  :-+

Offline Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #858 on: November 08, 2021, 11:51:25 am »
Dear UniSoft,

First of all, I'd like to thank you for the great FW that turned my newly bought PS into a dream device.
I consider myself lucky for buying the RD6006, because at the time of purchase I wasn't aware of this custom FW.

I've been playing with this device for a week now, started with the factory FW, then 1c, now 1d.
I have also done the external red led mod, with the exception of not drilling the circuit board but running a thin enamelled wire under the ON/OFF switch rubber/gasket to the other side of the board.
No problem with the switch, it works like before.
Didn't make any pictures and there is no way in hell I'm desoldering the terminals again.

Here is a picture of the wire turning and disappearing behind the crystal.

It is taped down by a small piece of sellotape so it doesn't flap around in the breeze:)

Here is a drawing how I routed the wire.

I found the same size red led on an Attiny85 board and used an 83 Ohm resistor to get the same brightness as the green one.

Another pic of  my CR2032 mod, it's fixed to the board by a drop of hot glue.

I have tested the 1c FW quite thoroughly and came up with the below list divided into 3 sections: bugs, new layouts, new function ideas.
Please take into account that I have no previous experience with professional lab PS, so my ideas are not backed by knowledge and may be impractical. Feel free to use my ideas in your next FW release.

bugs, issues
      - when changing between Default Layout/Customisable Layout with the right/left arrows, there is a vertical position mismatch on the right side of the display, rows jump up a few pixels. Easy to see when same data is displayed on both layouts.

- OPP not displayed in Layout 1 despite switched on

- Default Layout remnants visible under Layout 1

- Take Ok & Mem Hint interference, confusing when both options are ON
         - Press M1 twice accidentally, then M2, press Enter, you may think you recalled M2, but it's M1
         - Mem Hint times out while Take Ok does not, so in the above example you do not press Enter, M2 disappears, M1 comes back and stays there
      - Cannot set ORP color, option missing
      - SaveGraphSett. was fixed, did not work in 1c
      - V-set I-set cannot be set 0 using the keypad only the encoder. OVP and OCP can be set both ways
      - No cancel button when setting V-set, I-set, OVP, OCP, OPP with the encoder.
         When using the keypad entry I can cancel the new value by pressing either V-set or the encoder button.
         There are 4 ways to exit the setting: press V-set/I-set, press Enter, press the encoder, or wait for timeout
         All of these save the new value when the encoder is used
      - Keypad entry not working setting numerical/time values in menus. Only encoder can be used.
      - Save multi position not saved in most menu locations, can only be used in V-set, I-set, OVP, OCP, OPP

new layouts
      Dumb Power Supply
         As simple as it gets. Display only the output, when pressing V-set, I-set, OVP or OCP, display/set the corresponding values.
         CV, CC function as virtual leds.
         Largest font possible.

Analog Power Supply
         Just a sketch of what I imagined. Needs some advanced graphics calculations to make it nice with the moving needles, scale and everything. I don't even know if this is possible.

White Background
         Maybe some people like it inverse.

OK, I cheated, those are not standard colors. Can custom colors be added, using RGB codes, or the palette is fixed?

new functions
      - Finer Backlight/screensaverbr adjust (maybe even PWM values)
      - Mem hint 1-20sec by 1 sec intervals
      - Take Ok and Take Out name confusing, rename MemConfirm and MemInstantOut
      - Key Beep length adjustment in milliseconds
      - AutoPwroff beep n seconds before actual Pwr off
      - Led checks at poweron before screen on : off, light all, except output led, running effect
      - Buzzer: startup beep ON/OFF (while led checks), Comm buzzer could also be under Buzzer config
      - Graph window and menu navigation: up/down arrows press and hold for fast scrolling
      - Show somewhere in Graph Display Layout what window size is set
      - Add graph for RL and V-BATT
      - Ext led color config: make a submenu listing all functions/modes: CV CC OVP OCP OPP OTP etc.
         Any one of them can be assigned to any of the 6 colors: G, Y, R, flashG, fY, fR
         without ext led mod only 2 color choice Green, flashGreen
      - Layout selector, which layouts are used when pressing the arrows, could be like the buzzer config, each layout can be ON or OFF
         Default layout cannot be disabled
         Check when disabling current layout to jump back to L0
         To prevent laststate store illegal value
      - new settings for analog layout, like dial range 0-12V for example
      - How to add another language?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2021, 12:22:09 pm by Maxie »

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #859 on: November 08, 2021, 05:34:29 pm »
layout bugs

I don't have any problems with layouts as you do. My units are from the first 8000 batch. maybe your unit has a different LCD? All work just fine.

As for other bugs and issues, you'll find detailed answers if you search this topic and read the user manual here:
 https://eevblog.com/forum/testgear/custom-firmware-reference-document-for-riden-rd60xx-power-supplies/

press and hold is something it can't be done because of hardware limitations

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #860 on: November 08, 2021, 06:28:57 pm »
- V-set I-set cannot be set 0 using the keypad only the encoder. OVP and OCP can be set both ways

I bet nobody notice that, no one enters "zero" on the keypad, me included  :) nice catch  :-+

When using the keypad entry I can cancel the new value by pressing either V-set or the encoder button.
         There are 4 ways to exit the setting: press V-set/I-set, press Enter, press the encoder, or wait for timeout
         All of these save the new value when the encoder is used

If I press V-set and then type a value on the keypad and then decided to cancel I press V-set again and the "new value" is canceled. The old setting remains.
"wait for timeout" looks long enough, I didn't have time to wait and see if it exits.

Offline Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #861 on: November 08, 2021, 07:41:50 pm »
maybe your unit has a different LCD?
Yes, I recently got mine, serial 30k. ST7789

press and hold is something it can't be done
Ok, I'm sorry if I suggested duplicates, I had no time to read the whole topic yet.

The cancel button issue is only when you use the encoder to change value. Keypad is OK.

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #862 on: November 09, 2021, 04:46:30 am »
A question for Unisoft. Does the firmware see a negative voltage on the main current shunt when power is driven into a RD60xx(p) supply? I tried this carefully at 5 Volts and 0.1 Amps with my RD6018 output wired to my RD6006P output. If I carefully increase the voltage then the other Riden dispalys 0.00[00] Amps when it is obviously sinking power. If a negative current is detected (implying power into the Riden), then that would certainly be a good criteria for turning off the PS when in "green terminal" mode. That could be a useful feature when using a Riden with battery charging circuitry which can involve bidirectional power flows.

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #863 on: November 09, 2021, 07:24:00 am »
Does the firmware see a negative voltage on the main current shunt when power is driven into a RD60xx(p) supply?
Not!
Hardware does not support this functionality.

Offline ptluis

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #864 on: November 09, 2021, 02:00:40 pm »
Yes, I recently got mine, serial 30k. ST7789

could be that, on my 2 units the LCD is ILI9341 , Model: Z240IT010 v0.1

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #865 on: November 09, 2021, 04:14:16 pm »
- when changing between Default Layout/Customisable Layout with the right/left arrows, there is a vertical position mismatch on the right side of the display, rows jump up a few pixels.
this not a bug!
each parameter group (INPUT), (V-SET, I-SET), (OVP, OCP, OPP), (... Battery info, etc ...) is separated by a small gap.
To be able to fit 6 rows (including 3 gaps (example: INPUT, V-SET, I-SET, OVP, V-BAT, ...)) I have to decrease the size of the gap.

- OPP not displayed in Layout 1 despite switched on
OPP is not displayed simply because it is turned OFF.
Since version 1d: OVP, OCP, OPP are no longer displayed if they are OFF (i.e. set to 0).
NOTE: OVP, OCP set to 0 (OFF) is equal to Maximum (i.e. OVP set to 0 is equal to OVP = 62.000V, but on the screen (except Layout 1) it will show --- OFF ---)

- Default Layout remnants visible under Layout 1
This bug I know, affected only Ah, Wh

- Take Ok & Mem Hint interference, confusing when both options are ON
   - Press M1 twice accidentally, then M2, press Enter, you may think you recalled M2, but it's M1
   - Mem Hint times out while Take Ok does not, so in the above example you do not press Enter, M2 disappears, M1 comes back and stays there
I see...
mem hint pops up while confirmation dialog is active.

- V-set I-set cannot be set 0 using the keypad only the encoder.
It have no sense, so I not allowed to enter 0

- SaveGraphSett. was fixed, did not work in 1c
it is stores settings in MCU Backup SRAM (that memory is powered by battery, so will not work without battery)

same as in stock firmware...
when using encoder changes applied in real time, so there is nothing to cancel.

- Save multi position not saved in most menu locations, can only be used in V-set, I-set, OVP, OCP, OPP
it is only for: V-set, I-set, OVP, OCP, OPP

Dumb Power Supply
   Largest font possible.
completely useless.
Font only (~60x110) (numbers + 'V', 'A', 'W', '.', Will take about 12KB
The memory is limited (FLASH still free around 40KB, RAM already almost no free space, FRAM already no free space).

Analog Power Supply
I don't even know if this is possible.
Technically possible, but completely useless. Again, this takes a lot of memory.

those are not standard colors. Can custom colors be added, using RGB codes, or the palette is fixed?
actually colors are RGB565...
There are no space in FRAM (only 512B) to store so many settings.

The following users thanked this post: myf

Offline Maxie

• Contributor
« Reply #866 on: November 12, 2021, 03:23:03 pm »
Thank you for your answer.
I still love this little gadget and the custom FW even more.

Offline ElectricPower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #867 on: November 13, 2021, 04:15:26 am »
Finally... my last Riden is screwed together and all three supplyes is placed. All works perfectly :)

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #868 on: November 13, 2021, 05:35:52 am »
Finally... my last Riden is screwed together and all three supplyes is placed. All works perfectly :)

Don’t you have the fan noise when the power supply is switched off. 3 of them I imagine it will be loud.

Offline ElectricPower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #869 on: November 13, 2021, 09:21:21 am »
No, the fan do not kicks in before i give them a goog amount of load. In normal use i do not hear any fan at all. Completely quiet. I do not understand all the videos on Youtube that sayes that. I just can't hear any fan at all in normal use.

Offline sotos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #870 on: November 13, 2021, 11:59:49 am »
No, the fan do not kicks in before i give them a goog amount of load. In normal use i do not hear any fan at all. Completely quiet. I do not understand all the videos on Youtube that sayes that. I just can't hear any fan at all in normal use.

The power supply that I have, also I know from other people the fan works continuously, you must switch it off completely. It’s not Riden fault for it.

Offline ElectricPower

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #871 on: November 13, 2021, 12:02:54 pm »

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #872 on: November 13, 2021, 12:17:20 pm »
There's one specific model of internal power supply (I think it was the one bundled with early RD6018) that comes with an always on built-in fan. Unless you've got one of these, fans don't spin until loaded.

Offline ygi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #873 on: November 13, 2021, 02:35:27 pm »
Hey UniSoft, here's a (small) bug report for you.

I'm running firmware V1.34.1d on a RD6012.
Layout 4 displays I-OFF at 1/10th of what Current cutoff is set to in the menu. For example, if I set current cutoff at 20mA, layout 4 will display I-OFF: 2mA.
My testing indicates that the setting itself is disabling output at the expected current as set in the menu, only the layout is incorrect.

Thanks for your work :-+

The following users thanked this post: UniSoft

Offline UniSoft

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #874 on: November 13, 2021, 07:18:21 pm »
Some updates...
https://mega.nz/file/9lMVha7A#KJNN_WOBqJyCZf8KIIIZF8nv3Ys86f4i8T4Eu240hYE

RD60062_V1.36.1e.bin (RD6006)
RD60065_V1.40.1e.bin (RD6006P)
RD60121_V1.34.1e.bin (RD6012)
RD60181_V1.36.1e.bin (RD6018)

• + With the "Green Output" option enabled (previously "GreenTerm=>Out"),
    Temperature/MEM/SHIFT are displayed in GREEN (no space for a separate icon).
  • + Show window size on Graph Display Layout.

• + Added a calibration menu (similar to the software on a computer). The password is the same!
      (at the bottom of this menu, there is a text line with CW/CCW counters, these are for testing the Encoder.
       The counters are reset with UP/DOWN buttons. I did it just for myself, but decided to leave it as is.)
       How to use:
         Enter the password, press (ENTER)
         If the password is correct, the calibration menu will be displayed.
         There are all the necessary parameters (including Back V-BAT and BackInput which are unavailable in software).
         After selecting a parameter, the corresponding formula is displayed at the bottom of the display, according to which the firmware calculates the values.
         The changes are applied immediately (in RAM), so you can see the result.
         Click on (SHIFT)+(Dot) sets the selected parameter to the factory setting.
         Select the desired action and press (ENTER) (!!! The cursor must be on the button !!!)
           * NOP     - No Operation (does nothing, exit the menu without resetting the password)
           * CANCEL  - Cancels all settings (loads current values ​​from EEPROM)
           * STORE   - Stores current changes to EEPROM
           * RESTORE - Restores factory calibrations (from a backup copy. Similar to holding the button (1) at power on).
         Click on the encoder resets the password and closes the menu
          (!!! Calibrations are not saved/restored. All changes will remain until reboot !!!)

• + menu "--- Power Settings ---"
        + Added option "Max V-SET" sets limit for V-SET.
  • + menu "--- Display ---"
        + Added two parameters "Very Slow" and "ExtraSlow" to the "Update Rate" option, averaging the last 8 or 16 samples, respectively.
  • + menu "--- Charge Batteries ---"
        + Added "AutoSetLayout" option to automatically switch Layout when a battery is detected (Charger Mode),
          when the battery is disconnected, it will return to the previous Layout (unless you switched manually)
  • + The "Home" menu has been slightly rebuilt, some options have been moved to separate groups:
        @ "--- Appearance ---"
            + Added option "7SegInact.Elem" to disable highlighting of inactive elements in 7-Seg
        @ "--- V-SET/I-SET/OVP/OCP/OPP ---"
            # "Timeout" (бывшая "IVSet Timeout").
            # "Save Mult.".
            # "Skip Exit" (бывшая "SkipExitIVSet").
        @ "--- Memory ---"
            # "Hint" (previously "Mem Hint").
            # "Confirmation" (previously "Take Ok").
            # "Instant Out" (previously "Take Out").
            # "SHIFT Table" (previously "ShiftMemTable").
        @ "--- Buzzer ---"
            + Added option "PwrOnBeep" - sound when RD turned on.
            + duplicated "Comm Buzzer" option.
        @ "--- Colors ---"
            + "ORP" - sets the ORP color in the status bar.
            + "Ah (L1)", "Wh (L1)" separately sets the color of the corresponding elements in Layout 1.
  • * Fixed bug with offset Ah\Wh lines in Layout 1.
  • * Fixed bug with Mem Hint popup overlapping confirmation dialog.
  • * Fixed bug with displaying I-OFF (RD6012, RD6018)

Layout 1 (Small Font)

« Last Edit: November 13, 2021, 07:21:51 pm by UniSoft »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf