Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 745666 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #1450 on: June 21, 2020, 11:14:44 am »
Did anyone take the trouble to check one of Dave's teardown videos to see what kind of oscillator is in Siglent scopes? A good, stable oscillator usually is not very small and easy to spot.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1451 on: June 21, 2020, 11:44:22 am »
@2N3055
I'm not so sure if I can follow the reasoning about deeper memory needing higher long term accuracy of the timebase. Honestly I actually don't see that direct dependency there.
Anyway, note that the PLL will usually also introduce phase noise and jitter to some degree. Typically, this is worse than that of the actual oscillator.

@nctnico
Why would it be big? We'd not talking about an OCXO here. It's most probably a smallish SMD TCXO withich doesn't look any different from a normal crystal oscillator.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1452 on: June 21, 2020, 12:17:28 pm »
@2N3055
I'm not so sure if I can follow the reasoning about deeper memory needing higher long term accuracy of the timebase. Honestly I actually don't see that direct dependency there.
Anyway, note that the PLL will usually also introduce phase noise and jitter to some degree. Typically, this is worse than that of the actual oscillator.
In case of an oscilloscope that won't be the case. Usually there is a high performance PLL in there to get rid of the short term jitter otherwise the jitter introduces too much noise on the sampling clock.
@nctnico
Why would it be big? We'd not talking about an OCXO here. It's most probably a smallish SMD TCXO withich doesn't look any different from a normal crystal oscillator.
Well... a good TCXO is a bit larger than a regular crystal. For example, this one has slightly better specs compared to Siglent's spec for the SDS2000X Plus: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/connor-winfield/DOT050V-010.0M/CW842CT-ND/4726007  It is over a cubic cm in size.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:44:34 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Joao Carvalho

• Contributor
« Reply #1453 on: June 21, 2020, 07:01:06 pm »
nctnico, that's a really nice TCXO +-50 ppb, and not very expensive.

Best regards,
Joao Carvalho
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:24:29 am by Joao Carvalho »

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1454 on: June 21, 2020, 07:27:37 pm »
Did anyone take the trouble to check one of Dave's teardown videos to see what kind of oscillator is in Siglent scopes? A good, stable oscillator usually is not very small and easy to spot.

User the defpom had make some hi-res pics from the board:

http://www.thedefpom.com/randomfiles/Siglent_SDS2104XPlus_High_Res_Photos.zip

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1455 on: June 21, 2020, 08:25:13 pm »

User the defpom had make some hi-res pics from the board:

http://www.thedefpom.com/randomfiles/Siglent_SDS2104XPlus_High_Res_Photos.zip

I took a look at the pictures but couldn't find anything that really stands out as a high quality oscillator. The most likely candidate I can spot is X4 which could be a TCXO or MEMS oscillator (package marked by BOTTA). It seems to be a standard crystal oscillator package but I don't know which exact part it is.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:33:08 pm by nctnico »

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1456 on: June 21, 2020, 08:30:00 pm »
I took a look at the pictures but couldn't find anything that really stands out as a high quality oscillator.

Me too.
Maybe it´s on the other side of the pcb…. :-//

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1457 on: June 21, 2020, 09:03:17 pm »
I took a look at the pictures but couldn't find anything that really stands out as a high quality oscillator.

Me too.
Maybe it´s on the other side of the pcb…. :-//

I never saw one when I had it open... i almost went for pics of the other side but it was too much a pain in the ass to dick around with and threw in the towel

Offline Sergio66

• Contributor
« Reply #1458 on: June 26, 2020, 03:34:11 pm »
Hello everybody,

is there anyone succeeding to provide to the AWG integrated in the scope a user defined waveform? Here I'm trying from a couple of days, but I'm not yet
able to succeed, interfacing the scope to my PC (with Windows 10) both via USB or via LAN (in any case the behavior is the same, with the two interfaceses).

As a first step, I installed in my PC the NI-VISA version 19.5. After that, I tried installing both EasyWave ver.1.01.01.38R1 and EasyWaveX ver.1.1.0.13
(it's not well specified whether EasyWave or EasyWaveX have to be used).

Firstly with EasyWaveX, the SDS2104X Plus is detected as an oscilloscope (of course) and I found no way to send a waveform, since no AWG is detected.

Then, with EasyWave, with both USB and LAN connection, it is possible to send the waveform to the scope, but as soon as the send command is launched,
the program unexpectedly closes, without any message or error. Further, trying to acquire a waveform from the scope, the waveform is correctly received
as a shape, but the values are not correct: the 0V / 300mV squarewave for probe compensation is acquired with levels of about -40mv / 350mV
(not sure of that, but this is happening also acquiring with EasyWaveX).

Browsing the Siglent website, I found the IVI Driver: are they needed or related to this issue? In case they are needed, it's not clear to me how to install them....

Thanks!

Sergio

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1459 on: June 26, 2020, 07:58:32 pm »
Siglent deskew fixure :

Still the delivery status is on "Paid"....after 11days I´ve payed directly for this.
Siglent.eu ? Never more...

Status changed, wo-hoo..

They kidding me.... >:(
Still nothing in my hands, very annoying.  :--

Nearly a month passed by without getting the deskew fixture... :(
One 13th june they set the status to "shipped", nearly a week later they told me, well, we must have a look at our warehouse, because of corona there are troubles, bla-bla....and still letting the status to "shipped" !
Now, on 26th june, the status still be "shipped" without getting anything so far.
Also I wrote them two times to send the item to the adress where I´m working and asked for a confirmation - No reactions, shipping adress is still my private adress.
Poor, really poor from siglenteu.
Wait the next week and then I want my money back, ordering the fixure somewhere else.
Never ever, this dealer will be on my blacklist.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1460 on: June 26, 2020, 08:01:52 pm »
Never ever, this dealer will be on my blacklist.
No surprise there. I would have warned you if you posted your intention to order from them... OTOH if the item really is shipped then they can't change the address afterwards. At most it may be possible to have it delivered at a parcel shop / pick-up spot.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:03:53 pm by nctnico »

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1461 on: June 26, 2020, 08:09:07 pm »
I "talked" to them via the online live chat, asked them, which deliver company they used to ship.
As the answer was UPS, I asked them if the adress could be changed (Behaviour from UPS here if they couldn´t deliver it directly to you, is pain in the ass.).
Yes, just write us a email....And so I did, long time ago before the status was changed to shipped..
And even in this first try I pleased for confirmation....Nothing.
Actually I got an idea what "shipped" means....Shipped from china.... ::) :P
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 08:10:50 pm by Martin72 »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1462 on: June 26, 2020, 08:32:56 pm »
I "talked" to them via the online live chat, asked them, which deliver company they used to ship.
As the answer was UPS, I asked them if the adress could be changed (Behaviour from UPS here if they couldn´t deliver it directly to you, is pain in the ass.).
Yes, just write us a email....And so I did, long time ago before the status was changed to shipped..
And even in this first try I pleased for confirmation....Nothing.

Jesus you still dont have it?  |O I saw you were the last post and was looking for a review post  :palm:

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1463 on: June 26, 2020, 08:50:14 pm »
Just wondering... do you have a tracking number? I'd insist you get a tracking number or a refund.

Offline rattnallen

• Contributor
« Reply #1464 on: June 26, 2020, 08:55:16 pm »
As far as I know, siglent.eu is a 'One man show' - JR Special Electronics (Jonas Rijnders)

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1465 on: June 26, 2020, 08:58:41 pm »
Nico,
It is confusing...

See pics below, on the same day I got the confirmation of the item was shipped and from netherland standaard post, they await the item to deliver, with tracking number....

Offline jvenema

• Contributor
« Reply #1466 on: June 26, 2020, 09:11:32 pm »
Siglant.eu get its parts from siglant hub in Germany. So they come from China to Germany, then to the Netherlands and then back to Germany. Does not sound like the most ideal route. Siglant.eu is very dependant of what it gets from germany, if they get assigned a small number because Netherlands is small compared to Germany and people from outside the Netherlands also order their stuff here, then the waiting lines, can become very large.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1467 on: June 26, 2020, 09:17:48 pm »
At all it would no problem for me, if they would play with open cards from the beginning.
Sorry sir, we don´t have it in stock, we must order this from china, it takes some weeks before we got it and then you could get it...No problem.
If they told me that - But they don´t.
Thumbs down, nothing else.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 09:21:31 pm by Martin72 »

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1468 on: June 26, 2020, 09:24:56 pm »
At all it would no problem for me, if they would play with open cards from the beginning.
Sorry sir, we don´t have it in stock, we must order this from china, it takes some weeks before we got it and then you could get it...No problem.
If they told me that - But they don´t.
Thumbs down, nothing else.
Nope, it comes from Siglent in Hamburg like jvenema describes.
If Hamburg haven't got them in stock then it comes first from the factory in Shenzhen.

Resellers don't have access to factory stock like we authorized distributors.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1469 on: June 26, 2020, 09:40:18 pm »
Ah, OK.

But it wouldn´t change a thing of the behaviour from siglent.eu

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1470 on: June 26, 2020, 10:02:57 pm »
Import it from the states? the NA office turned my last order around in a day

https://siglentna.com/product/power-analysis-deskew-fixture/

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1471 on: June 26, 2020, 10:04:02 pm »
Nico,
It is confusing...

See pics below, on the same day I got the confirmation of the item was shipped and from netherland standaard post, they await the item to deliver, with tracking number....
This only means that the shipment has been announced to the shipper but no actual package has been handed to the shipper yet.

Offline Tankj

• Contributor
« Reply #1472 on: June 26, 2020, 11:01:14 pm »
Hello everybody,

is there anyone succeeding to provide to the AWG integrated in the scope a user defined waveform? Here I'm trying from a couple of days, but I'm not yet able to succeed....

Hi Sergio,

I have experienced same problems as you, and I'm still confused too. I know the EasyWave X is a newly developed EasyWave. The older EasyWave will crash if send waves to AWG of SDS2000X+, and the new one... it NOT even let you do this at all |O  Since I don't have a siglent SDG generators, don't know how it works on SDG series, but this software seems like it just wasn't designed for an oscilloscope even the manual says "use EasyWave to create a user waveform".  It's almost like a disaster when you using these softwares with SDS2000X+, the only thing I can do is capture waves to PC, but as you said the data is very inaccurate makes this function useless, beside we can store the waveform on the Udisk.

One way I think may work is to save the waveform file to Udisk, and open it on the AWG menu. Unfortunately, I tried many many times both on the EasyWave and EasyWave X, both failed |O.

And yes I found one truly successed way to send a user wave to the AWG, by create it on OTHER AWG and probe it to a channel, let's say C1, then select C1 as user wave source. But it's such a stupid and useless method :-// These are the responsibilities of siglent, they provide the AWG but don't make it work properly, Hope we can see some improvements in firmware updates.

Tan

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1473 on: June 26, 2020, 11:23:44 pm »
Hello everybody,

is there anyone succeeding to provide to the AWG integrated in the scope a user defined waveform? Here I'm trying from a couple of days, but I'm not yet able to succeed....

Hi Sergio,

I have experienced same problems as you, and I'm still confused too. I know the EasyWave X is a newly developed EasyWave. The older EasyWave will crash if send waves to AWG of SDS2000X+, and the new one... it NOT even let you do this at all |O  Since I don't have a siglent SDG generators, don't know how it works on SDG series, but this software seems like it just wasn't designed for an oscilloscope even the manual says "use EasyWave to create a user waveform".  It's almost like a disaster when you using these softwares with SDS2000X+, the only thing I can do is capture waves to PC, but as you said the data is very inaccurate makes this function useless, beside we can store the waveform on the Udisk.

One way I think may work is to save the waveform file to Udisk, and open it on the AWG menu. Unfortunately, I tried many many times both on the EasyWave and EasyWave X, both failed |O.

And yes I found one truly successed way to send a user wave to the AWG, by create it on OTHER AWG and probe it to a channel, let's say C1, then select C1 as user wave source. But it's such a stupid and useless method :-// These are the responsibilities of siglent, they provide the AWG but don't make it work properly, Hope we can see some improvements in firmware updates.

Tan
Please write it up with care and add it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/

It you can also document it with screenshots and waveform files I can put you in touch with Tech support so to be sure it gets fixed in coming FW updates.
TIA.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1474 on: June 27, 2020, 01:42:38 am »
I've never really used any version of easywave to make waveforms as it is in general limited and all it is making is a csv file that i can directly enter data into

that said i do have X installed and just had it make me a basic stair stepper 512k points and saved the csv to a usb stick

Had no idea the scope had an arb on it but went right to it and loaded the file and it worked fine, just let it use the default sdg6000.. noted it had no drop down for the scope in the listbox

Sending waveforms to any siglent product has always been haphazard... you are almost always better served using a usb drive in my experience

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf