Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 745257 times)

Offline Sergio66

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #1475 on: June 27, 2020, 02:36:26 pm »

One way I think may work is to save the waveform file to Udisk, and open it on the AWG menu. Unfortunately, I tried many many times both on the EasyWave and EasyWave X, both failed |O.

And yes I found one truly successed way to send a user wave to the AWG, by create it on OTHER AWG and probe it to a channel, let's say C1, then select C1 as user wave source. But it's such a stupid and useless method :-// These are the responsibilities of siglent, they provide the AWG but don't make it work properly, Hope we can see some improvements in firmware updates.

Tan

Hi Tan,

I also tried as a first step to save the waveform file to Udisk and open it in the AWG menu, but it was not working: the name of the file is correctly shown on the screen, but the waveform generated remains the previously selected (no error message).
The problem is that I don't know which is the sintax accepted for the .csv file and if the one I generated (with EasyWaveX) has the correct one.

By the way, I was not even succeeding to provide the waveform captured by another channel: could you please explain me, step by step, how you succeed to do that?

I've never really used any version of easywave to make waveforms as it is in general limited and all it is making is a csv file that i can directly enter data into

that said i do have X installed and just had it make me a basic stair stepper 512k points and saved the csv to a usb stick

Had no idea the scope had an arb on it but went right to it and loaded the file and it worked fine, just let it use the default sdg6000.. noted it had no drop down for the scope in the listbox

Sending waveforms to any siglent product has always been haphazard... you are almost always better served using a usb drive in my experience

Hi Elasia,

basically what you did with EasyWaveX is similar to my trials generating csv file: the difference is that in my files, since in + the SDS2000X datasheet a 16k AWG memory is specified, I always used a much lower number of points.
Here I'm attaching a very simple csv file I created, that is not correctly loaded by the scope: maybe you can easily find which is the issue or sintax not accepted.
On the other side, I'd be very grateful to you if you can upload a csv file that you succeeded to load on the scope, generating any waveform (maybe, the basic stair stepper you mentioned):
this should be working also in my side and would be a good starting point for me to understand how to create the csv file.

Thanks!

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1476 on: June 27, 2020, 03:44:38 pm »
Yeah it failed to load in mine as well

I dont think it liked that it was such a tiny sample but it never displays anything for an error loading

Try setting up a file with many of them at the rate you want them to pulse at

Offline Sergio66

• Contributor
« Reply #1477 on: June 27, 2020, 04:25:53 pm »
I just tried generating the csv files (using the default sdg6000X) for a very simple sinewave at 1kHz, with 16k samples (16384) or 512k samples (524288): both are not loaded.

Up to now I never succeeded to load a wave in any way. So, if anyone can upload a working csv file, it would be very helpful for me.

Further, when I select "Channel" in the AWG menu, the only effect I get is that the AWG output is turned off: nothing else happens, even asking me (as I was expecting) which
analog channel I want to use.

....maybe I'm missing something trivial..... :(

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1478 on: June 27, 2020, 04:50:54 pm »
Pretty sure its bugged... basically it fails to load for X reason and wont tell you why.. try this one.. you will see its the same formatting

Have to wonder if the console puts out any error code

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1479 on: June 27, 2020, 04:55:45 pm »
Pretty sure its bugged... basically it fails to load for X reason and wont tell you why.. try this one.. you will see its the same formatting

Yep..

cp /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin
cp: can't stat '/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin': No such file or directory
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info"
I/O error : Read-only file system

Offline Sergio66

• Contributor
« Reply #1480 on: June 27, 2020, 06:10:29 pm »

Hi Elasia,

I tried the files you attached, but it's failing in my side! Is it correctly loaded in your scope? If this is the case....  :palm:

Yep..

cp /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin
cp: can't stat '/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin': No such file or directory
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/usr/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
rm -f /usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info
I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/bin/siglent/usr/mass_storage/U-disk0/positive_pulseDC1000ppm.info"

Looking at the output of your console, I noticed something strange: it seems the system is trying to load positive_pulseDC1000ppm.bin
instead of positive_pulseDC1000ppm.csv! I suppose you did not create a .bin file.....

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1481 on: June 27, 2020, 06:37:07 pm »
Yeah its trying to do some sort of conversion and getting lost.. i managed to get it to load a couple of times with enough fucking around.. its suppose to load the csv file

I'd assume if you made a bin file of the format it wants inside of it, it would work

Offline Billy33

« Reply #1482 on: June 27, 2020, 09:09:04 pm »
I did some frequency response measurements and used a NanoVna and a NanoVna V2 as uncalibrated poor man's signal generator (Stimulus -> CW-Freq) to compare before and after an upgrade.
The probes were not tested, just the generator via SMA cable plus BNC adaptor into the 50R terminated channel input.

The following users thanked this post: Joao Carvalho, Tankj

Offline Sergio66

• Contributor
« Reply #1483 on: June 28, 2020, 10:01:30 am »
Yeah its trying to do some sort of conversion and getting lost.. i managed to get it to load a couple of times with enough fucking around.. its suppose to load the csv file

I'd assume if you made a bin file of the format it wants inside of it, it would work

Elasia,

I suppose you already noticed that: the testwave you uploaded is exactly IDENTICAL to the StairUp pre-defined waveform, that is the default selected when you choose Arbitrary Type.
So, when I tried to use this csv file, I firstly selected a different waveform and then to use the csv, to check if the file is correctly loaded, changing back to the StairUp waveform
(...and this never happens).

Please write it up with care and add it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/

It you can also document it with screenshots and waveform files I can put you in touch with Tech support so to be sure it gets fixed in coming FW updates.
TIA.

I'm willing to add this to the bugs/missing features/requests list, but at first I'd like to be sure there are no errors in my side (....nor a problem of my scope....which would be a really nasty case): in my side,
I'm not even able to load a waveform from an analog channel, which is something I understood someone else succeeded to do.

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1484 on: June 28, 2020, 10:38:22 am »
Mine was more likely related to something unrelated i am working on

attached is what it tries to convert your file into, the only way to load the arb with a custom file is to have a read/write usb drive to load it from which means you have to console in and remount it as such

Offline Tankj

• Contributor
« Reply #1485 on: June 28, 2020, 12:04:01 pm »
By the way, I was not even succeeding to provide the waveform captured by another channel: could you please explain me, step by step, how you succeed to do that?

Sure, it's a very simple operation, just hidden in the channel menu, Easily overlooked:)
channel menu-->applied to-->AWG  (this will save the wave to internal Arb storage)
AWG menu-->Arb Type-->stored-->channel  (this will load saved wave)

There are some points to note:

1, the saved wave is not in the RAM but a dedicated storage, you can recall it any time after you send wave to AWG, even restarted.

2, It's better to have a Single cycle displayed on the screen when you save it to AWG, so as to get the correct frequency output. because this  function will save the entire screen and treat it as a single cycle.

Say if you have a 1kHz waveform and you put 5 cycles displayed on the screen, then you save it to AWG. When reload that wave from Arb, and set Arb to 1kHz, you will get a 1kHz but one count with 5 cycles, which is actually a 5khz waveform.

3, This "Copy" mothe will inevitably contents the output distortion, sampling error and front-end noise to the waveform, It can only be treat as a temporary method before siglent fixing the remote or USB import bugs.

PS. I've also never successfully loaded a .CSV file :-//
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 12:13:17 pm by Tankj »

Offline Tankj

• Contributor
« Reply #1486 on: June 28, 2020, 12:29:57 pm »
Please write it up with care and add it here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-bugs-missing-features-feature-requests/

It you can also document it with screenshots and waveform files I can put you in touch with Tech support so to be sure it gets fixed in coming FW updates.
TIA.

Hello tautech, I've already feedback these problems to my dealer here in China, also some other bugs such like the system response is prone to freeze when use zone trigger with zoom mode.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1487 on: June 28, 2020, 02:48:43 pm »
It would be nice if you could post it in the bug and feature thread too.

Offline Sergio66

• Contributor
« Reply #1488 on: June 28, 2020, 10:11:15 pm »

Sure, it's a very simple operation, just hidden in the channel menu, Easily overlooked:)
channel menu-->applied to-->AWG  (this will save the wave to internal Arb storage)
AWG menu-->Arb Type-->stored-->channel  (this will load saved wave)

There are some points to note:

1, the saved wave is not in the RAM but a dedicated storage, you can recall it any time after you send wave to AWG, even restarted.

2, It's better to have a Single cycle displayed on the screen when you save it to AWG, so as to get the correct frequency output. because this  function will save the entire screen and treat it as a single cycle.

Say if you have a 1kHz waveform and you put 5 cycles displayed on the screen, then you save it to AWG. When reload that wave from Arb, and set Arb to 1kHz, you will get a 1kHz but one count with 5 cycles, which is actually a 5khz waveform.

3, This "Copy" mothe will inevitably contents the output distortion, sampling error and front-end noise to the waveform, It can only be treat as a temporary method before siglent fixing the remote or USB import bugs.

PS. I've also never successfully loaded a .CSV file :-//

Hi Tan,

thanks a lot: now I can load the waveform from the analog channel. So, at least, we are experiencing the same troubles with CSV files....

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1489 on: July 03, 2020, 07:55:12 pm »
Still no deskew fixture in my hands... :(
No response to my mails, no response in the live chat, really disappointing.
If it doesn´t arrive in the next week, I want my money back.
And hopefully I got it back then.  >:(

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1490 on: July 04, 2020, 08:36:32 pm »
Thank you. I appreciated your humor.
But for serious measure, I will look for a serious device. Of course.

Out of curiosity, what's the unit of measurement of "Device Seriousness"? Would 10 MegaSeriousnets do? :-DD

I wouldn't wait with bated breath for any reply to this question, despite the unfulfilled promise of "getting back with an answer tomorrow" (it's been a month without any further appearance in this thread since he made that promise). Whilst he's been a member for just over three years, he's only posted 13 times with the last 6 of them being here in the space of an hour blowing a whole 546 day's worth of activity in the process, almost doubling his activity rate to 0.011 posts per day!  :)

I suspect the contrast in price between a "Toy" that would still more than suffice to answer the question "Did that BW licence upgrade actually have any effect or not?" and a professional grade RF Signal Generator capable of permitting flatness curve measurements to +/-0.1dB or better costing tens of thousands of dollars must have prompted a "Shoot from the hip" posting which he's now probably regretting (I do know that feeling all too well  :-[ :palm:).

I've been reading this thread for almost a fortnight since viewing Dave's and The Defpom's review / teardown videos and this unchallenged assertion that this toy 35 to 4000MHz VFO module would be of no use whatsoever as a cheap means of verifying whether or not a BW upgrade has actually taken effect, has been irritating me over the past week since reading famalex's posts. Personally, I'd expect with 500MHz being only 12.5% of a 4GHz BW, it would more than suffice for making such sanity checks on the new BW limits of a hacked 'scope.  ;D

I rather think that, since nobody else has mentioned the merits (or not) of a "cheap toy" VFO module, rather than return to apologise for his hasty dismissal of this "toy", he's decided to keep his head below the parapet and keep shtum - let sleeping dogs lie and all that. TBH I think, given the seeming lack of interest, I'd do the same. ::)

I've been pondering the need to upgrade my SDS1202X-E "Toy" (it had only cost a mere £365 just 18 months ago  >:D) over the past 3 or 4 weeks ever since I started running comparative phase stability tests between my mark I and mark II basic GPSDO designs using my "Toy" FY6600-60M function generator (a mere bauble at just £76 plus a few bits 'n' bobs for upgrade components, circa another 60 quid tops) to externally trigger it with a 10MHz Sinc pulse which, trimming for temperature changes once every few hours using the 2GT effect to fine tune the ppt variations (mostly diurnal temperature variations with an all but invisible ageing component) that still manage to afflict the 10MHz ovenised crystal oscillator reference (with 3n502 clock multiplier chip) that has replaced the original 20ppm rated 50MHz smd XO.

I'm looking at the ionospheric effects on the phase of the 10MHz disciplined OCXO in each GPSDO. Both are basic hardware PLL designs with M8N gps receiver modules, the first using a TC of 500, the second, using a more ambitious TC of 5000 in order to tame these sub subsonic phase modulations.

In order to get some idea of the level of these phase shifts, I needed an independent, free running reference that's at least stable enough in frequency from hour to hour for these phase shifts to be revealed for what they really are, sub subsonic phase modulation noise created by imperfect GPS correction data for changes in the ionosphere's electron density. My upgraded toy FG fulfils this need quite nicely (Yey! Yet another win for "Toy" T&M kit  >:D ).

Commodity priced navigation only GPS receiver modules aren't the best choice for such basic hardware PLL driven designs. If you want to avoid using a microcontroller to function as a long time constant DSP PLL using a Kalman filtering algorithm to filter out the sub subsonic (mHz to uHz range) phase modulation noise, a timing module is the only alternative way to achieve such low sub subsonic phase noise performance with a traditional hardware PLL setup.

I finally located and ordered a cheapish (41 quid delivered) M8T module a few days ago - the trouble is it's from a Chinese reseller on Amazon and estimated delivery is the beginning of August :( . Hopefully, I'll have taken delivery of an SDS2104X+ a week or two earlier. :)

Being able to actually observe the triggering waveform on a third channel (along with all the tunable triggering options this brings, plus a 20 fold reduction in triggering jitter) is just one of the many improvements I'm looking to obtain by splashing out some £1260 on an SDS2104X+ (I'm currently negotiating a 5% discount off the UK price with my DSO supplier, Labtronix - with luck, I might hear some good news on that front by Monday).

I've only seen one other UK supplier (but, afaicr they're not an official Siglent distributor - I could be wrong). I'll have another look for other UK based T&M kit resellers who might be prepared to offer an EEVBlog (or any) discount whilst I await Labtronix's answer.

If any other UK based EEVBlog members have any UK supplier recommendations to offer, now would be the ideal time to step forward with all your money saving recommendation(s).  :) ::)

JBG
John

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1491 on: July 04, 2020, 08:40:47 pm »
JBG, take your pick:
https://www.siglenteu.com/how-to-buy/

United Kingdom
Labtronix
 7 Durrell Close, Loughborough Leicestershire, LE11 5FA, UK
 44 (0)1509 434245
 www.labtronix.co.uk
 enquire@labtronix.co.uk

United Kingdom
PASS Ltd
 1 Alberto Street, Stockton on Tees, TS18 2BQ UK
 44 (0)800 247 1600
 www.tester.co.uk
 info@tester.co.uk

United Kingdom
Telonic Instruments
 Unit 5, The Business Centre, Molly Millar’s Lane, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG41 2QZ, UK
 44 (0)118 978 6911
 www.siglent.co.uk
 info@telonic.co.uk
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1492 on: July 04, 2020, 09:17:49 pm »
 Wow tautech! That was a bloody fast response!  :)

I'd barely finished "Proof" / Vanity reading my actual post as it appeared in the the thread, seconds after hitting the send button, before refreshing the page to see your instant reply.

Many thanks for providing that short list. Labtronix has been my sole DSO supplier for the past 18 months (although TBH, that SDS1202X-E has been my one and only purchase so far.  ;) ).

I've had a look at the other two suppliers' web sites and the second one seems to have jacked up their pricing by some 14.2% over the RRP of the SDS2000X+ series as shown here:

https://www.tester.co.uk/siglent-sds2000x-plus-super-phosphor-oscilloscopes-4-channels

The third one, Telonic Instruments, Like Labtronix, seem to be sticking to the RRP guidelines.

Obviously, tester.co.uk need not apply as my (or anyone's) supplier for Siglent kit but Telonic Instruments might be worth pursuing for a discount price.

Once again, my thanks for such a swift and helpful response (2 out of 3 isn't a bad hit rate  :) )

JBG
John

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1493 on: July 04, 2020, 09:38:29 pm »
If I remember it right, buying by welectron/germany using all goodies can save up to appx 10% off.
(EEV blog coupon, prepaid bonus)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1494 on: July 04, 2020, 10:36:48 pm »
Nah, it's 6.9% (5% for EEVBlog and 2% for prepaid: (1-0.95*0.98)*100 = 6.9). However, with the recent VAT reduction to 16% in Germany, I was able to save another few %. In the end I saved around 9.34% compared to the official price in June with 19% VAT. Yeah, that's right, I finally could convince myself to jump onto the Siglent bandwagon. Went for a SDS5034X (still with full option promotion) though. So, offtopic here.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1495 on: July 05, 2020, 12:39:42 am »

That is nuts... try calling up Siglent NA to send you one.. will cost a bit extra with no discount or anything but they do have them sitting around.. if you get any flak about shipping you could get it to me and i'll send it out via whatever then just pay me via paypal

It takes them less than a day to send me anything, every order i've done with them for rare items i want now has showed up the next day.. but im also an hour away

https://siglentna.com/product/power-analysis-deskew-fixture/

Also tell them your story and maybe they will take pity on you and make right what siglent eu is fucking around on tarnishing siglent's name

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1496 on: July 05, 2020, 07:06:04 am »

That is nuts... try calling up Siglent NA to send you one.. will cost a bit extra with no discount or anything but they do have them sitting around.. if you get any flak about shipping you could get it to me and i'll send it out via whatever then just pay me via paypal

It takes them less than a day to send me anything, every order i've done with them for rare items i want now has showed up the next day.. but im also an hour away

Also tell them your story and maybe they will take pity on you and make right what siglent eu is fucking around on tarnishing siglent's name

Siglent.eu is not  Siglent's EU office. That is some dealer that snatched domain and playing dumb like they are Siglent, the factory.

Siglent EU offices are at siglenteu.com  ( in a same manner as siglentna.com : Siglent North America)

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1497 on: July 05, 2020, 09:00:51 am »
Good Morning John,

I got mine from Welectron after asking all the german distributors for their special price via Mail.
After a nice mail exchange with the owner I bought it there with 5% off and Paypal payment.
The device arrived two days later. With the reduced VAT in Germany (16%) as Martin mentioned
it should be worth a try.
Yesterday I ordered a SDG2042 there and noticed that they now offer  a free financing via Paypal with
6 or 12 monthly payments (of course you loose the other discounts) but may be it helps someone.
(I stopped my efforts with the FY6900 and decided to invest now in a tool that fulfill better my needs but
that‘s a story for the other board)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:58:37 pm by Bad_Driver »

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1498 on: July 05, 2020, 11:44:33 am »

Siglent.eu is not  Siglent's EU office. That is some dealer that snatched domain and playing dumb like they are Siglent, the factory.

Siglent EU offices are at siglenteu.com  ( in a same manner as siglentna.com : Siglent North America)

Oh it was that guy? I thought he ordered from siglenteu.com and been going wtf this whole time.. that sucks

Offline Johnny B Good

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1499 on: July 06, 2020, 11:25:06 pm »
Good Morning John,

I got mine from Welectron after asking all the german distributors for their special price via Mail.
After a nice mail exchange with the owner I bought it there with 5% off and Paypal payment.
The device arrived two days later. With the reduced VAT in Germany (16%) as Martin mentioned
it should be worth a try.
Yesterday I ordered a SDG2042 there and noticed that they now offer  a free financing via Paypal with
6 or 12 monthly payments (of course you loose the other discounts) but may be it helps someone.
(I stopped my efforts with the FY6900 and decided to invest now in a tool that fulfill better my needs but
that‘s a story for the other board)

Good evening to you, Bad_Driver,

Apologies for the delay in responding but I've been rather busy sorting out a discount deal with telonic.co.uk for an SDS2104X+. I've ordered mine from them just this afternoon with a nice discount. I'm expecting delivery sometime the end of this week or else the middle of next barring any unforeseen delays.

I'd have gotten a discount out of Labtronix if I'd enquired a week sooner to catch their last bulk order on these models (they're not usually a stocked item) and it would likely be another 8 weeks to the next bulk order opportunity to get a discounted price, otherwise I'd have placed my order with them (on the "Better the Devil You Know" principle - they've never once let me down but then I've only ordered just the one item from them 18 months ago, namely an SDS1202X-E  :) ).

I realise this is off topic but I'm curious about why you didn't choose the slightly cheaper SDG1062X over the SDG2042 which only goes to 40MHz versus the 60MHz (both sine and square waves) of the former as an upgrade over the FY6900. Presumably, you were more attracted by the 16 bit resolution and the touch screen interface than an upper frequency limit to match that of the FY6900.

I've been looking at the specifications in detail (again!) on both the SDG1000X and the SDG2000X series function generators (the only model ranges within reach of my wallet that aren't a complete joke novelty item compared to even an FY6600-60M for more than twice its price (eg the SDG805 and SDG810 single channel 5 and 10MHz models).

The SDG1062 to my mind,  looks a little more attractive as an upmarket replacement for my much improved FY6600-60M but I won't be making a purchasing decision right away until I've concluded my upgrade efforts with the FY6600 (upgrading those 85 ohm 20dB attenuators to 50 ohm pads and, maybe a PSU upgrade if testing with battery power and a 7805 validates the benefit of such). OTOH, like you, I might just have done with my toy FG and treat myself to a brand spanking new SDG1062 ::) - I think I can manage without the additional 2 bits of resolution and a touch screen  :) .

JBG

John

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf