Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2309854 times)

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1875 on: March 27, 2016, 02:16:41 am »
 Definitely some outside the box thinking. Plus, what else are you going to do with the leftover LED strips after all the shelves have theirs?

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #1876 on: March 27, 2016, 03:27:44 am »
My father came to visit last summer and we built this.
Features
- 12 AC outlets along the back
- computer desk slides in and out
- fully adjustable shelves
- peg board across the entire back
- cabinet door is a whiteboard on one side, peg board on the other
- lighted shelves (remote control, dimmable) and lighted floor
- shelf frame isn't fastened to the bench top, neither is the bench top itself fastened to the base. So it comes apart for moving, yet it's still very sturdy.

So for a hobbyist workbench in an apartment, it works great and I really like it.
And yup, that is the third edition of "Art of Electronics" sitting on the shelf.  :-+

I really like this setup a lot. I too am a hobbyist and I too live in an apartment. It can be difficult sometimes to manage the available space and make it work to your advantage. Well done.

I will have to take a few updated pictures of my setup. But I have a small maybe 6' x 6' "room" (no door) in my apartment where I have everything setup. Thankfully I didn't have to build something like you did, but I like your modular construction.

By the way, I've been thinking of picking up the "Art of Electronics", is the price tag really worth it for a hobbyist?

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1877 on: March 27, 2016, 09:43:00 am »
As somebody who just dropped his last opto-coupler on the floor and then spent twenty minutes looking for it I can appreciate floor lighting. Unfortunately the shops will be closed until Tuesday so I will have to wait until then to get some LED strip.

10/10 for this idea.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1878 on: March 27, 2016, 02:28:57 pm »
...lighted floor...
Nice.  :-+ Seems you may have started a trend with it as well.   :popcorn:

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1879 on: March 27, 2016, 02:47:49 pm »
Normally, one wouldn't think much of a lighted floor, but it's actually incredibly useful. Instead of having to grab a flashlight if you drop something, just flick a switch and the floor lights up like a christmas tree. It's a nice touch, imho.
I have a UDL (Under Desk Lamp) for that for decades.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline lapm

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1880 on: March 27, 2016, 05:29:51 pm »
My father came to visit last summer and we built this.
Features
- 12 AC outlets along the back
- computer desk slides in and out
- fully adjustable shelves
- peg board across the entire back
- cabinet door is a whiteboard on one side, peg board on the other
- lighted shelves (remote control, dimmable) and lighted floor
- shelf frame isn't fastened to the bench top, neither is the bench top itself fastened to the base. So it comes apart for moving, yet it's still very sturdy.

So for a hobbyist workbench in an apartment, it works great and I really like it.
And yup, that is the third edition of "Art of Electronics" sitting on the shelf.  :-+

Damn i better not let my wife see that or she starts nagging why i cant have as clean work desk for electronics...  :-DD
Electronics, Linux, Programming, Science... im interested all of it...

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1881 on: March 27, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »
Its a work in progress. I cleaned it up after my last client. No way would you want to view it while I am working on something. I have had a lab for over 50 years

Today March 2016:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6757916/the%20bench.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6757916/the%20room.jpg

In !966 in my parents basement in Montreal at age 13:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6757916/File%20Mar%2013%2C%203%2018%2048%20PM.jpeg

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #1882 on: March 27, 2016, 08:05:11 pm »
Its a work in progress. I cleaned it up after my last client. No way would you want to view it while I am working on something. I have had a lab for over 50 years

Today March 2016:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6757916/the%20bench.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6757916/the%20room.jpg

In !966 in my parents basement in Montreal at age 13:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6757916/File%20Mar%2013%2C%203%2018%2048%20PM.jpeg

That is a nice bench!  :-+ You even have A/C for those hot Summer days.  :clap:
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1883 on: March 27, 2016, 08:07:56 pm »
grouchobyte WOW! That was a nice work-bench/lab! Clean and tidy and lots of goodies!  :-+

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1884 on: March 27, 2016, 08:12:25 pm »
Heres one when I am actually "working" on a fiberoptic project for my client... I was just about to setup some measurements with a PicoScope, circa 2014

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6757916/bobglobus/selfie%20in%20the%20lab.JPG
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:57:34 pm by grouchobyte »

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1885 on: March 27, 2016, 08:33:03 pm »
Heres one when I am actually "working" on a fiberoptic project for my client... I was just about to setup some measurements with a PicoScope, circa 2014

What model of PicoScope is it? We got a bunch of them at work, a couple of 2000 and 3000 series. The model I use most frequently is the automotive scope 4425 with floating ground, which is also used solely for teaching students in how to use a scope in automotive electronics.

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1886 on: March 27, 2016, 08:45:28 pm »

What model of PicoScope is it? We got a bunch of them at work, a couple of 2000 and 3000 series. The model I use most frequently is the automotive scope 4425 with floating ground, which is also used solely for teaching students in how to use a scope in automotive electronics.

I think its a model 4824 if memory serves me correctly. .....8 channel 20 mhz usb3 model. My client owned it and just loaned it to me to log multichannel data. Quite convenient, actually.

Thinking about getting one, but want more BW and 8 to 16 bit selection, and USB 3 simply because USB 2 is clunky and doesnt feel like a scope. Also running native on a MAC is a must. Running under windows in VMware sucked but I was getting paid, so I did not care.

FYI: I do everything on MACs. I hate Windows and most POS things related to it  |O

@grouchobyte
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:51:01 pm by grouchobyte »

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1887 on: March 27, 2016, 09:24:37 pm »
@grouchobyte Thanks for info! Think all PicoScopes has USB 3 now, software for MAC users and some of them, if my memory serves me right, 8 to 16 bits resolution. Of course it is up to the user to choose either a pc or a bench scope, but for many applications like serial decoding like CAN bus, which comes free with the scope, and other measurements it does its job well. In my lab, which I will take a snap on and put up here, I got bench instruments.

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1888 on: March 27, 2016, 09:30:54 pm »
@4cx10000

I only showed you a an image of my lab/office where I do my consulting and hide from my wife. There is another place where all my older Vintage gear is stored and past projects are archived. Some good stuff and more goodies lurk just around the corner. I do try to just give away stuff I rarely use, like to University labs, deserving students, etc. I dont do the ebay thing. For me, its "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to boat anchors or boxes that can hurt me ( too heavy) :-/O

BTW: are you in Stockholm? Last time I was in Sweden it was 1987 and I was visiting my client, Erricsson, in Hudiksvall. I remember it was Surstromming season. Reminds me of some comfort jewish food growing up. A bit smelly, though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:44:48 pm by grouchobyte »

Offline ECEdesign

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1889 on: March 27, 2016, 10:35:43 pm »

Awesome setup!  Someday I hope to have a lab setup like that.  Im in progress of setting up a lab as part of a grant.  Ill upload some pics once I get things setup.

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1890 on: March 27, 2016, 11:04:56 pm »
@4cx10000

I only showed you a an image of my lab/office where I do my consulting and hide from my wife. There is another place where all my older Vintage gear is stored and past projects are archived. Some good stuff and more goodies lurk just around the corner. I do try to just give away stuff I rarely use, like to University labs, deserving students, etc. I dont do the ebay thing. For me, its "out of sight, out of mind" when it comes to boat anchors or boxes that can hurt me ( too heavy) :-/O

BTW: are you in Stockholm? Last time I was in Sweden it was 1987 and I was visiting my client, Erricsson, in Hudiksvall. I remember it was Surstromming season. Reminds me of some comfort jewish food growing up. A bit smelly, though.

We need pictures of that, too!!   :D

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline grouchobyte

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1891 on: March 27, 2016, 11:19:23 pm »
@4cx10000

-Pat

http://www.magnetmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/surstromming360.jpg

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1892 on: March 27, 2016, 11:52:50 pm »

Yupp that's it!  :-+ No, i am not from Stockholm, I live in northern Sweden, far from the capitol and I am happy for that  8)I think It is more common to eat surstromming where I live than in southern of Sweden, actually I was quiet surprised to read about the surstromming season. We can say that surstromming is a more or less, but more smelly, kind of Sushi  :-DD My cousin, whose surname is the same as the company, worked for Ericsson's but now retired. Know what you mean by "give away", I am in same position ie, you suddenly come to an end where all things is just to much, even though you build something every single day the rest of your life, there will still be a lot of junk for the kids to take care of  :palm:

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1893 on: March 27, 2016, 11:53:40 pm »
@4cx10000

-Pat

I meant a picture of the bolded part!!!   :o   :palm:   :-DD

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #1894 on: March 28, 2016, 12:31:28 am »

Here using the VNA to measure out an RF amplifier:

Next up is a Spectrum Analyzer with tracking generator.  Top candidate is a used Agilent E4402B ESA-E.  I think it would look very nice on the shelf above the VNA. :)

Offline vze1lryy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1895 on: March 28, 2016, 02:00:35 am »
Back when it was actually a bid tidy and neat. This is an addition to the building put in by the last tenant, it was a shitbox. I had to fix the roof so it would stop leaking, and it has a few holes in the floor I need to fix. It's tiny, but I made it work for me.
Louis Rossmann
Component level motherboard repair technician.

Offline tino_so

• Contributor
« Reply #1896 on: March 30, 2016, 12:55:38 am »
Back when it was actually a bid tidy and neat. This is an addition to the building put in by the last tenant, it was a shitbox. I had to fix the roof so it would stop leaking, and it has a few holes in the floor I need to fix. It's tiny, but I made it work for me.

Hey Louis, thanks for sharing, it looks pretty tidy indeed! Everything in its place and a place for everything.

Maybe you have mentioned this before on your videos, but I missed it (btw I really enjoy the content you share in Youtube!). At which resolution are you running the large LCD monitor?

Cheers,
Tino

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1897 on: March 30, 2016, 09:51:16 am »
Not mine, but I thought others might like to see this web find.
A couple of days ago I found a nice Soniq 32" LCD, model L-32V11C-AU. Tonight looking around for info on it (especially a service manual), I found this - an Australian forum for scrap metal scavengers. It's quite interesting. And here's someone's recycling workshop:
   http://scrapforum.com.au/album/8335-my-piece-of-paradise

Click through the pics. Cool space. Note the bush building style - tree trunks for main uprights, some 2x4s horizontally, then recycled corrugated iron cladding. I like it. F*ck building regulations.

Also, now I know what's inside the Soniq before I even open it. http://scrapforum.com.au/forum/tv-monitor-sound-video/lcd-tv-s-monitors/4581-scrapping-an-lcd-tv-soniq-l32v11c
Very little apparently. Will it be bad caps? We'll see.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1898 on: March 30, 2016, 01:21:23 pm »
All his profits went into that energy drink.

I believe I have a Soniq in the workshop (the pos that they are). Mine has a steel frame and a more expensive looking power supply so perhaps older. I also have a 32" thin bezel Dick Smith, a 46" Sony Bravia and a 22" Samsung, all intercepted before they got into the nasty scrappers hands.

But get this someone threw out a 72" the other day, those 1 year warranties ;)
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1899 on: March 30, 2016, 04:21:46 pm »
Well, this is not all I have, there is lots of junk and another workbench in the basement. Anyhow, one could say that it clearly shows that I am up to something. Could have cleaned it up a bit before I took the picture, but I wanted to show you all that I am an human being...  ::) As you also can see, in order to make the pictures more exciting, all instruments are powered.  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf