Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3088922 times)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #1250 on: September 02, 2015, 10:28:10 am »
Funny how this YT-batteriser guy seems to think that FCC-testing is about the batterylife expanding capabilities of the batteriser..

And also:
From "We don't need FCC" to "We got approval" in just one week?

Seriously: I don't have any experience with testing for the US market, but is actually possible?

Typical "try and shift the negative focus onto someone else" strategy. It's a pity for "Batteriser Batteroo" or the "Batteriser Fan TEAM" that the average reader and consumer is smarter than he is/they are.

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #1251 on: September 02, 2015, 10:35:02 am »
Has anyone looked at the Batteriser Google+ page?
Almost all of the 82 people in their "circle" are very attractive young female.

Its all included in the scammy SEO/reputation manipulation package^^^^oh Im sorry, Its called 'Growth Hacking' !!1
I seem to remember you talking about flood of those scammers when you ran your KS, same deal.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline lpickup

• Regular Contributor
  • Uncle Bobby Dazzler
« Reply #1252 on: September 02, 2015, 10:36:50 am »
UL Verification. I hereby request to see the report and documentation of the test setup and procedures. Which UL Lab did the test?

This is huge news that UL is no longer just doing safety and regulatory testing, but now even doing performance testing!  I wonder if they had to custom build the little finger thingy as well...

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #1253 on: September 02, 2015, 10:46:05 am »
Just thought I'd check out the last days comments on the IGG campaign, and came across a couple of comments that seemed like shills.
Even their registered names seem awfully suspicious, and of course this is the only campaign they've backed or commented on.
And what do you know... they all backed around the same time for $1.  It appears they forgot to click the private option until the last one.  :-DD

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #1254 on: September 02, 2015, 10:57:38 am »

I'm no legal expert but aren't some of these statements almost paramount to slanderous and defamatory.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Why is it so?
« Reply #1255 on: September 02, 2015, 11:23:08 am »
In "EEVblog #789 - Batteriser Monkey BUSTED!", where does the black and white clip at 6:05 come from?

Professor Julius Sumner Miller

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1256 on: September 02, 2015, 11:24:44 am »
Just thought I'd check out the last days comments on the IGG campaign, and came across a couple of comments that seemed like shills.
Even their registered names seem awfully suspicious, and of course this is the only campaign they've backed or commented on.
And what do you know... they all backed around the same time for $1.  It appears they forgot to click the private option until the last one.  :-DD

It just gets more comical by the day!

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
Re: Why is it so?
« Reply #1257 on: September 02, 2015, 11:26:01 am »
In "EEVblog #789 - Batteriser Monkey BUSTED!", where does the black and white clip at 6:05 come from?

Professor Julius Sumner Miller

Such as:

Offline PeterL

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1258 on: September 02, 2015, 11:33:03 am »

I'm no legal expert but aren't some of these statements almost paramount to slanderous and defamatory.
Just image having a friend of your family, using your name, and talking like that..

No serious company in the world would ever tolerate something like that.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1259 on: September 02, 2015, 11:42:15 am »
No serious company in the world would ever tolerate something like that.

And it's not just the language and attitude either. There have been threats of physical violence against a fellow 13yo blogger, documented on this forum.

Offline ljwinkler

• Supporter
    • LJ Winkler's blog
« Reply #1260 on: September 02, 2015, 11:54:57 am »
I have found a similar KS campaign from last year: BatteryVampire: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2ndlifetech/batteryvampire

At least this guy cancelled it without burying himself...

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1261 on: September 02, 2015, 11:55:14 am »
Dave, now you've got the monkey, pretty please do a 2 minute, non technical video debunking their claims once and for all.

Two new AA cells in a holder, wired directly up Probes's arse, run him until he stops. Maybe film it in time lapse with a clock in the background.
Then connect a 3v boost converter (which I'm sure you can knock up easily enough) between the batteries and Probes, and see how much longer, if at all, he runs for.

Then home for tea and medals!
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 11:57:59 am by Delta »

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #1262 on: September 02, 2015, 12:07:41 pm »
I have found a similar KS campaign from last year: BatteryVampire: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2ndlifetech/batteryvampire

At least this guy cancelled it without burying himself...

Discussed here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/batteryvampire/

Offline SteveyG

• Supporter
  • Soldering Equipment Guru
« Reply #1263 on: September 02, 2015, 12:08:49 pm »
Dave, now you've got the monkey, pretty please do a 2 minute, non technical video debunking their claims once and for all.

Two new AA cells in a holder, wired directly up Probes's arse, run him until he stops. Maybe film it in time lapse with a clock in the background.
Then connect a 3v boost converter (which I'm sure you can knock up easily enough) between the batteries and Probes, and see how much longer, if at all, he runs for.

I was thinking the same thing. They're likely using the Texas Instruments TPS61200 DC-DC converter - so buy a TPS61200EVM-179 Evaluation Module and do that exact experiment.
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgelectronics/
Use code: “SDG5” to get 5% off JBC Equipment at Kaisertech

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1264 on: September 02, 2015, 12:19:11 pm »

I was thinking the same thing. They're likely using the Texas Instruments TPS61200 DC-DC converter - so buy a TPS61200EVM-179 Evaluation Module and do that exact experiment.

It is useless. They will come up with some stupid excuse like using their custom designed asic that can do some magical stuff to get 800% efficiency.

Offline SundayProgrammer

• Contributor
« Reply #1265 on: September 02, 2015, 12:27:29 pm »

It is useless. They will come up with some stupid excuse like using their custom designed asic that can do some magical stuff to get 800% efficiency.

Exactly. From academic point of view you can do what ever you like, but to continue this debate on professional level you need to have an actual product to test and review. And when I say professional level... hmm.. this discussion between Eevblog people and Batteriser fan boys is way below that. Unfortunately.

Axel.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #1266 on: September 02, 2015, 12:38:39 pm »
The fan pictures shown above made me think that it is possible that the batteriser is trying to penetrate into toy battery market segment, namely adult-oriented toys. And it is quite possible that those toys exhibit too high cut-off voltages. For some reason they ended up using the monkey as an example of a toy instead of a vibrator.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 12:44:55 pm by Kalvin »

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #1267 on: September 02, 2015, 12:40:35 pm »

It just gets more comical by the day!

Funny thing is that the $1 backers are normally the ones slamming the creators for being scammers (e.g. Ritot)

Offline RupertGo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1268 on: September 02, 2015, 01:11:03 pm »
In the past, I've reported on numerous companies who had too-good-to-be-true 'products' that seemed to break the laws of physics but were not actually available for testing. Almost got enough for a book by now. once I work out how not to be sued. (I've been threatened with that, and UK libel laws make it a most credible deterrent.)

Some of them had pseudonymous online supporters - there's usually just one per company - who had no admitted connection to the company but conducted remarkably shrill, aggressive and intemperate online campaigns against anyone who criticised the company, regardless of how careful that criticism was. One in particular went as far as leaving me voicemails, subscribing me to large number of mailing lists, and posting stuff of a personal (and inaccurate) nature that proved remarkably counter-productive.

All you can do is what Dave's doing now: stick to the facts, keep on asking the questions that can't (or won't) be answered, and make sure that anyone who is interested in investing in or supporting the company because they think the technology has potential can find the credible criticism and inconvenient facts that indicates otherwise. More than that, is up to them.

Shrill shills give themselves away every time they post. Campaigns to denigrate or shut down online criticism leave fingerprints over everything they touch. You can't prevent this, but you can patiently and in good faith point them out - and then get on with the rest of the stuff you do. In Dave's case, that's assembling 800+ entertaining, informative (and occasionally trying!) videos that have absolutely no agenda except the one he stands by.

Look at the opposition, laugh, sigh and move on...

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #1269 on: September 02, 2015, 01:17:13 pm »
It seem that they start a new angle for their product:

I just read that article Ali posted. I had no idea how dangerous batteries can be. As a parent, I don’t care if a Batteriser can make my kid’s toy last twice as long, or eight times as long, or whatever. But I do care that a Batteriser can keep my kid safe! I think parents really need to know about this. http://www.consumer.org.my/index.php/safety/household/224-batteries-can-leak-overheat-and-rupture-causing-chemical-burns-to-your-kids

18 hour ago[/quote]
@Pierobosco, no not really. I’m naïve I guess. I thought battery companies made batteries safe for all of us to use. Like if the batteries were really that dangerous then they wouldn’t make them. Yeah, I know, LOL.

17 hours ago

Cf this $1 account: https://www.indiegogo.com/individuals/11983934/activities

"Battery safety" the batteriser make battery safer!

They should make a liporiser to make Li-Po battery safer, I think that LiPo (and all Lithium battery) is much more dangerous than alcaline or any Nickel based rechargeable battery.

And all these comments feels unnatural for me
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline neotesla

• Supporter
« Reply #1270 on: September 02, 2015, 01:49:23 pm »
this discussion between Eevblog people and Batteriser fan boys is way below that. Unfortunately.

Axel.

So you'd reckon both sides are equally to blame for that?

This is not the first time that you're leaving me with the impression that you're implying some fault on Dave's (and his supporters') side. At least be clear about it.

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #1271 on: September 02, 2015, 01:54:35 pm »
Looks like we now have a third Roohparvar working for them, now replying in the campaign comments.
https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=182102138

He's also telling that he was involved in making the Nature Man fan video, and he became part of their indiegogo team 4 days ago. That channel doesn't seem to be that independent, does it?

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #1272 on: September 02, 2015, 02:03:31 pm »
this discussion between Eevblog people and Batteriser fan boys is way below that. Unfortunately.

Axel.

So you'd reckon both sides are equally to blame for that?

This is not the first time that you're leaving me with the impression that you're implying some fault on Dave's (and his supporters') side. At least be clear about it.

I think he's allowed to have that opinion over here (if he has it :) ). Nothing wrong with that.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #1273 on: September 02, 2015, 02:06:50 pm »
The Batteriser Batteroo Google plus page is hilarious!  :-DD

Look at the attached image! Arianna Grande has changed her name apparently, and there is a guy named Barbara. The whole thing is a joke of monumental proportions! I am thinking whoever made these pages is not working for Batteroo, but against them and blackmailing them to stop before ruining things even further!  :-DD  :palm:
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #1274 on: September 02, 2015, 02:11:59 pm »
And Irma and Debora are twin sisters, just like in that fan video.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf