Author Topic: Program that can log from many multimeters.  (Read 489461 times)

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Program that can log from many multimeters.
« Reply #1450 on: February 07, 2021, 12:23:59 am »
As of today, I am a proud owner of a rebadged Korad KEL102 electronic load. Opened it, on the PCB it identifies as Korad, and the USB connect also comes up with a Korad ID.
Managed to download a Korad software package from a trusted german retailer, extracted the USB virtual COM driver installed it and was ready  to go.
(Attention: You can connect to that virtual COM with Putty or similar program to set off the commands, BUT you have to turn local echo on, and probably flow control off)

Name of the Unit is: Stamos Soldering S-LS-60, got it to work by adding the below snippets to the Korad103.txt definition file:

#metadef
#idString S-LS-60
#name Stamos S-LS-60
#handle Stamos S-LS-60
#replaceText MaxPower 150

Up until now, I only did some short tests via USB, as the next days will be packed with other stuff. Network tests etc. will hopefully be done the next weekend, as I have some free days off work after that. Nice thing: My Agilent U1272 agrees to the measured voltage with +/- 1mV, which is well within spec of those devices...

Note: Got that unit from a german/polish reseller, brand new, for a bit under 200 € incl. shipping- whereas a "genuine" badged KEL102 goes for around 300€ from trusted shops in germany...

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1451 on: February 07, 2021, 09:26:46 am »
It seems about the same. But I noticed a difference between DL24P and JL24. DL24P sends data once every second regularly. On the other hand, JL24 sends data 3 to 5 times every second. It's continuous and fast. I recorded short movies of Termite outputs for both.

Does this give you any clue?

Could you do it again with the JL24 and post the hex dump from Termite (for a couple of seconds), together with the readout.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1452 on: February 07, 2021, 09:28:44 am »
#metadef
#idString S-LS-60
#name Stamos S-LS-60
#handle Stamos S-LS-60
#replaceText MaxPower 150

I will add this to the next release, but I have changed the handle to "SLS60". It must not contain spaces (Because it is used as a variable name) and a short handle is preferable.

The following users thanked this post: nightfire

Offline nightfire

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1453 on: February 07, 2021, 09:39:52 am »
Thanks!

Yes, the Name itself contains dashes, and at least they did the rebadging up to the point where in the *IDN? string the device identifies itself correctly as a S-LS-60 containing dashes, followed by version and serial...

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1454 on: February 07, 2021, 09:50:55 am »
Yes, the Name itself contains dashes, and at least they did the rebadging up to the point where in the *IDN? string the device identifies itself correctly as a S-LS-60 containing dashes, followed by version and serial...

A correct *idn? is four fields: brand,product,serial_number,firmware_version
A lot of the cheap Chinese equipment gets this wrong and for some devices the definition has code to fix it. The popup "List all connected devices" will show the serial_number and firmware_version from a correct *idn? string.

Offline jk2017

• Contributor
« Reply #1455 on: February 08, 2021, 05:47:38 am »

Could you do it again with the JL24 and post the hex dump from Termite (for a couple of seconds), together with the readout.

Attached is photo of JL24's screen and Termite dump. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1456 on: February 09, 2021, 01:38:23 pm »
V1.53 is up
Again a minor update.
   Added: JTorch JL24
   Fixed: Some issues with select control and expression and :enable:/:visible: tags.
   Added: :format: tag to all settings with floating point numbers

JL24 needs to be tested and see what parameters is transfers. I did not get any energy values with the test data, but I can calculate that locally if I have power.

The :format: tag can be used to change from the general SI format in number input fields.

Offline jk2017

• Contributor
« Reply #1457 on: February 09, 2021, 08:58:45 pm »
V1.53 is up

JL24 needs to be tested and see what parameters is transfers. I did not get any energy values with the test data, but I can calculate that locally if I have power.

It seems to be working, thank you! TC is reading values from JL24. I logged values for a few seconds while running a 53 W load on JL24. I attached a screenshot and a photo of reading for your examination.

TC is reading energy values as well. However, JL24 has a bug and the transmitted energy value (kWh) is completely wrong. I read TC's document about Math page. If I use SumTimeHour on JL24.Power, I should be able to calculate the energy in Wh, correct?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 02:41:25 am by jk2017 »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1458 on: February 10, 2021, 08:19:38 am »
If I use SumTimeHour on JL24.Power, I should be able to calculate the energy in Wh, correct?

Yes.

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
    • DiscountMissiles: my portfolio and landing page
« Reply #1459 on: February 11, 2021, 09:48:30 pm »
Will it be possible to add in the Hameg HM7044 quad power supply to the supported devices list?

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1460 on: February 12, 2021, 02:06:07 pm »
Will it be possible to add in the Hameg HM7044 quad power supply to the supported devices list?

Yes, but I cannot do it, I do not have the supply.

You can do it yourself, check some of the already included power supplies: TTI, R&S

If you have specific questions, I may be able to answer them.

When you have done it post you definition in this thread.

To start a definition you right click in the combobox (on the Load devices page) and select "Create new SCPI definition", it will help you getting the fist few steps done.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 02:08:33 pm by HKJ »

Offline joxelito

• Contributor
« Reply #1461 on: February 13, 2021, 05:56:14 pm »
I am facing a strange problem when using two units at the same time.
DL24 and RD6012. When I connect one of them they work perfect.
When starting both of them I have dropouts in the readings from the DL24.
Voltage, current, capacity reading jumps from correct to zero and back.
Only when I connect to the two units. See pictures.

I found same problem using multimeter and dc load together
BMM values sometimes drop to zero, DC Load are always correct.
Swapped switch, cables, no change

Increasing readingDelay on device definition file significantly reduced drops:
Code: [Select]
; Accept this delay when reading values (seconds)
#readingDelay 60

The best solution to remove all drops I found, is defining a new math value with dropout filter in muy scripts.
The filtered value eliminates dropouts and graphs are clean
For example:
Code: [Select]
#math VoltageFiltered A DropOutFilter 30 (nameValue(bmm))
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 07:30:51 am by joxelito »

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1462 on: February 15, 2021, 01:39:00 pm »
A simple demo project showing how to use a Arduino with TestController:

[url=http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino1%20UK.html]http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino1%20UK.html
[/url]

If there is interest I can make a article about more advanced interfacing with Arduino or show some examples on simple applications.

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1463 on: February 15, 2021, 04:57:07 pm »
That would be interesting, just ordered some ADS1115 (16bit ADC) modules and some ACS712 currentsense modules.
Like to experiment with them and learning Arduino better.
In my opinion it is an good opportunity with Testcontroller to make interfaces als you like and need.
Arduino is so an good option to make your own test equipment, make what you need.

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1464 on: February 16, 2021, 07:36:59 pm »
I am facing a strange problem when using two units at the same time.
DL24 and RD6012. When I connect one of them they work perfect.
When starting both of them I have dropouts in the readings from the DL24.
Voltage, current, capacity reading jumps from correct to zero and back.
Only when I connect to the two units. See pictures.

I found same problem using multimeter and dc load together
BMM values sometimes drop to zero, DC Load are always correct.
Swapped switch, cables, no change

Strange. When I use DL24 and RD6012 together, then just the
DL24 has al lot of dropouts. The RD6012 always gives good readings.

BTW. With DL24 alone I have sometimes a dropout, once after ten minutes,
another try after a half an our. Not predictable.
I also gonna look at an filter function.
The dropout is not an big problem for reading, it also aborts the load.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1465 on: February 17, 2021, 04:39:42 pm »
The dropout is not an big problem for reading, it also aborts the load.

Try running TC from a DOS box and post if there are any error messages when the load fails. Do not run in debug mode, just normal, some errors will be shown outside debug mode.
You can also do it from debug mode, but I still want the messages from the DOS window.

The DL24 protocol is not supposed to fail or dropout, it will automatic retry, but it may die on a program error.

Offline joxelito

• Contributor
« Reply #1466 on: February 17, 2021, 06:27:12 pm »
A simple demo project showing how to use a Arduino with TestController:

[url=http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino1%20UK.html]http://lygte-info.dk/project/TestControllerArduino1%20UK.html
[/url]

If there is interest I can make a article about more advanced interfacing with Arduino or show some examples on simple applications.
Some basic function like relay on / off for controling end of charge of LiIon battery with non programmable PS  would be nice.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1467 on: February 18, 2021, 06:02:49 am »
Some basic function like relay on / off for controling end of charge of LiIon battery with non programmable PS  would be nice.

I have already made a digital I/O example where you can connect a relay to one of the outputs, but I need to add a few more examples before I publish.

The following users thanked this post: joxelito

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1468 on: February 18, 2021, 06:40:56 pm »
Try running TC from a DOS box and post if there are any error messages when the load fails. Do not run in debug mode, just normal, some errors will be shown outside debug mode.
You can also do it from debug mode, but I still want the messages from the DOS window.

The DL24 protocol is not supposed to fail or dropout, it will automatic retry, but it may die on a program error.

OK, cannot try at this moment, will take a look as soon as possible.

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1469 on: February 19, 2021, 04:33:55 am »
Ok so updates: My Korad KA3005P isn't responding due to the test controller sending the "0A" character appended to the end of the "*IDN?", couldn't get tinkering with the #eol to fix it either, really getting a headscratcher here.

Second, the Hameg power supply arrived and I'm hilariously lost again on the control interface writing, can't quite figure out how to enable 8n2 and just a carriage return. Further the readout and separation into vars isn't super well documented in the files and I'm not sure of the difference between the ASCII/Modbus/SCPI drivers?
Here's the Hameg manual, the important stuff is on page 24/25. https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/hameg-archive/HM7044_D_E_F_S.pdf
Any help would REALLY be appreciated, Thanks!

Offline Pukker

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1470 on: February 19, 2021, 01:08:32 pm »
I have tested DL24 with testcontroller from Command prompt.
Works as normal, with Dropouts, and NO errors in Dos box.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1471 on: February 19, 2021, 01:20:42 pm »
I have tested DL24 with testcontroller from Command prompt.
Works as normal, with Dropouts, and NO errors in Dos box.

That is a bit strange, as long as I receive messages I will update the value and if the serial port fails or there are trouble decoding the driver will fail with a error message to the console.
The only way it can stop silent is if the ATorch device stop sending data without closing the connection.

Offline HKJTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #1472 on: February 19, 2021, 01:36:04 pm »
Ok so updates: My Korad KA3005P isn't responding due to the test controller sending the "0A" character appended to the end of the "*IDN?", couldn't get tinkering with the #eol to fix it either, really getting a headscratcher here.

No CR or LF:
#eol \_

Use CR
#eol \r

But the standard driver needs a CR or LF at the end of each received message or it will not work.
The #eol setting only works for selected drivers, the "Scan serial ports" setting do not now the devices and always uses LF

Second, the Hameg power supply arrived and I'm hilariously lost again on the control interface writing, can't quite figure out how to enable 8n2 and just a carriage return. Further the readout and separation into vars isn't super well documented in the files and I'm not sure of the difference between the ASCII/Modbus/SCPI drivers?

The default baudrate is 9600N82, you can include the N82 in the baudrate setting box.

The drivers are for different types of devices:
SCPI: Most modern quality bench test equipment.
SCPIx: Typically used for some Chinese equipment where they have not found out how to implement SCPI correctly, may also be useful for some older equipment from around the dawn of SCPI
ASCII: Devices from before SCPI and some other equipment.
MODBUS: This protocol is mostly for industrial usage, but some cheap test equipment also uses it. It is a binary protocol.

Here's the Hameg manual, the important stuff is on page 24/25. https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/hameg-archive/HM7044_D_E_F_S.pdf
Any help would REALLY be appreciated, Thanks!

This do not look like SCPI, but must be done with the ASCII driver. I am not impressed with the commands, read back functions are missing and you have to decode everything from the "READ" command. That makes it easy to add 8 columns for voltage & current values, the bad part is that the setting popup will not show the currently selected parameters.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1473 on: February 19, 2021, 01:43:04 pm »
Hi HKJ,

thanks again for your great work!
I realy appreciate your Arduino efforts. I was away from this board for a while. In this time I played a little bit with ESPEasy and
found it very handy. But I have no clue how to connect it's serial output which reports the measurements of the available sensors
with TC  :-//
I was looking for a simple solution for temperature measurements with DS1820 sensors. Since I'm a little bit rusty with programming it would be great if one of your (coming) examples brings this popular and cheap temperature sensor into TC!  Thanks in advance!

Offline ArsenioDev

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1474 on: February 19, 2021, 11:24:43 pm »

No CR or LF:
#eol \_

Use CR
#eol \r

But the standard driver needs a CR or LF at the end of each received message or it will not work.
The #eol setting only works for selected drivers, the "Scan serial ports" setting do not now the devices and always uses LF

Any possibility of integrating modified capability into the SCPIx driver to allow arbitrary EOL commands? May help down the line with integrating different cheaper weird comms protocol chinese instruments or older units.

Aha! The lead on using ASCII is going to be a huge help, back at taking a crack at that interface document.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf