Author Topic: Yet another cheap thermal imager incoming.. Seek Thermal  (Read 1020016 times)

Offline Seeker

• Contributor
Re: Yet another cheap thermal imager incoming.. Seek Thermal
« Reply #1525 on: January 18, 2015, 12:46:25 pm »
You probably could find heat loss points reasonably well by feel, but you'd have to stick your flesh in every suspect cranny...the SeeK (and similar) can tell you instantly whether or not you actually have a leak, and (if so) where it is, from one wide angle view. No contest.
Facile argument, is my opinion.

Offline efahrenholz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1526 on: January 18, 2015, 03:32:21 pm »
@Seek,

If you still read the thread, do you have any plans to work on the pixel drift compensation? It works as advertised, but it needs refinement. It heavily affects any scene lower than the sensors temperature. I was getting horrible noise. Surely this isn't read noise? Perhaps you would implement a quality mode, low quality being 4 frames averaged, medium being 8 and high being 16. I'm sure a lot of people could give up the refresh for finer quality. Even at 16, it's still about 2.5 fps. I would believe 8 would be a happy middle for most people. That would help eliminate a lot of drift noise, while still providing a useful framerate. It might even be useful to capture a NUC of the same number of frames, so in medium quality mode, a NUC frame should be 8 averaged frames. I think this would allow your product to compete with the smoother image the new flir one will produce.

Offline WS-PI

• Contributor
« Reply #1527 on: January 18, 2015, 04:36:40 pm »
does someone know if it would help to cool the case of the SeeK to reduce the noise? I am thinking about attaching an peltier element to the case and lower the temperature about 10 or 15 degree. But if someone knows already that it would't help I do not want to wase time and money trying it.

Offline efahrenholz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1528 on: January 18, 2015, 05:31:03 pm »
Nobody has publicly posted results. In scientific thermal imaging, the temperature is stabilized. Either by cryogenic, Stirling or peltier. Give it a shot, shouldn't be too hard. Just make sure it's controlled. You can't stick a peltier on without a control circuit. A simple arduino, mosfet, thermocouple and resistor should be the hardware to drive it, and a simple sketch to pwm drive the fet. Might need a PID approach.

Offline frenky

• Supporter
    • Frenki.net
« Reply #1529 on: January 18, 2015, 06:12:30 pm »
I have a small peltier module in the "future projects drawer". ;)
Might give it a try with seek module.

Offline feral2

« Reply #1530 on: January 19, 2015, 03:34:23 pm »
Here's a tutorial video (not mine) that was just posted on a DIY post-processing MSX-style visual/thermal video overlay technique:

For anyone wondering, the visual video was captured by a separate handheld camera (iPhone 4).

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1531 on: January 19, 2015, 04:37:12 pm »
After the failure of the original lens, I tried to replace it. That's what I did. A camera with a lens of 25 degrees. And the photo that I did. Members who have broken their SeeK, don't throw it away the lens. I need it. I can change it to a lens for the macro photos with a focus 50mm. Or buy from you.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 07:43:19 pm by Uho »

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: January 19, 2015, 05:02:15 pm »
This photo was taken 12 degrees lens. It has a diameter greater. Sensitivity above. Picture taken from 2m.

Offline levi47

« Reply #1533 on: January 19, 2015, 06:26:16 pm »
Has anyone worked on a linux driver for the Seek? i would like to combine the UV-NIR camera of the raspberry pi as an overlay with the thermal images... maybe sweep the full field of view of the camera module or use a zoom lens that approximately matches that of the seek.

Also, can anyone point me to latest version of the compiled seeker windows program?

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1534 on: January 20, 2015, 03:42:23 pm »
Today saw the error of the program. Incorrectly saves the photo. No heat on the display image. Mode Imager + photo.

Offline Lurchbox

• Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: January 20, 2015, 06:56:01 pm »
http://www.miguelvp.com/ForMike/Seek/ latest version of seeker i know of, make sure you download the DLLS and download ZAdiag to setup the drivers for the seek.

Has anyone worked on a linux driver for the Seek? i would like to combine the UV-NIR camera of the raspberry pi as an overlay with the thermal images... maybe sweep the full field of view of the camera module or use a zoom lens that approximately matches that of the seek.

Also, can anyone point me to latest version of the compiled seeker windows program?

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: January 21, 2015, 12:51:26 am »
Has anyone worked on a linux driver for the Seek?
Do you mean Linux kernel module?
Look many posts ago-someone showed... decompiled Java source code of Seek before attempt to correct gradient and there are Java routines to talk with Seek MPU via USB, so even Python Linux code can easy catch Seek thermal image frames, but I prefere C/C++ code while working with small ARM Linux distros talking to Seek devices.
However, no rush to release any code for the moment-I think Seek should do it and pay for this someone...
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline rjardina

• Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: January 21, 2015, 01:25:11 am »
Today saw the error of the program. Incorrectly saves the photo. No heat on the display image. Mode Imager + photo.

When you take a photo like this, it actually takes two images, and no thermal data is lost. One just becomes an over lap. But I noticed both images are taken at slightly different time due to the temperatures are off from one another. Which can be seen on the high measurement on the kitty-cat and the low on the VFD.

Offline Lurchbox

• Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: January 21, 2015, 02:26:05 am »
Just got an Nvidia Shield tablet, waiting on a Micro USB extension cord to arrive.

Miguelvp did you get the Jetson board yet? I am tempted to get one, being able to hook up any LVDS display would be nice.  O0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:27:54 am by Lurchbox »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1539 on: January 21, 2015, 02:30:45 am »
I did get it, but I don't have enough time to jump into it yet.

Offline bsliv

« Reply #1540 on: January 21, 2015, 04:34:54 am »
gizmodo.com is announcing the Seek XR, a mechanical upgrade the original Seek allowing zoom with detection out to 2,000'. 

The units are on thermal.com for $299.  No lens by itself tho.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 04:36:47 am by bsliv »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1541 on: January 21, 2015, 05:32:11 am »
Nice move by them, $100 for almost no parts :)
It's like the difference between a 16GB tablet or a 32GB one or a 64 GB one

Offline encryptededdy

• Frequent Contributor

Offline Uho

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: January 21, 2015, 10:59:56 am »
I saw a photo of a thermal imager with a zoom. The diameter of the lens is not changed. Means that at maximum zoom - sensitivity decreases 3 times.

Online mikeselectricstuffTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #1544 on: January 21, 2015, 11:29:54 am »
I saw a photo of a thermal imager with a zoom. The diameter of the lens is not changed. Means that at maximum zoom - sensitivity decreases 3 times.
Would be good if it will also do close-ups, but still looking less attractive now Flir have announced a 160x120 Lepton.

I do wonder if this development is a side-effect of them having to change the lens holder design due to the gradient issue

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Seeker

• Contributor
« Reply #1545 on: January 21, 2015, 12:25:11 pm »
Re: the reduced accuracy of the SeeK below 20oC...
Some snow on the ground here...snowfield reads 6oC, as opposed to 0oC given by my cheap Chinese IR thermometer. Be nice if that can be fixed on the next SeeK update.

Re: the zoom lens version--it looks then that the zoom image would just be a glorified blowup of the standard image? Useful maybe for picking out a hot blob in the distance...

Offline -jeffB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1546 on: January 21, 2015, 01:52:04 pm »
Re: the zoom lens version--it looks then that the zoom image would just be a glorified blowup of the standard image? Useful maybe for picking out a hot blob in the distance...

No, it's apparently an "optical zoom", not a "digital zoom" -- you still get real 206x156 resolution across the entire zoom range. It's not like blowing up the middle of the zoomed-out image; it's more like moving three times closer to your target. Photographers call that "zooming with your feet", and that's fine for some subjects; I'd rather not try it when imaging an intruder, or an alligator, or something on the other side of a busy highway.

I don't know how the image quality (focus, sensitivity) will vary as the zoom changes. I'd love to see -- heck, I'd love to do -- the kinds of image benchmarking that you see in reviews of conventional optical zoom lenses.

Offline Seeker

• Contributor
« Reply #1547 on: January 21, 2015, 02:29:52 pm »
Yep that's what I meant by "glorified"...with the lens being no wider than before there's less IR entering on zoom, so giving a degraded--albeit larger--image.

Online Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1548 on: January 21, 2015, 03:31:57 pm »
It will be interesting to know how the zoom feature has been created. It normally required three lenses, with the middle one moving. It is possible to create a zoom function using two lenses with one (front) moving in and out of the seconds (rear) optical axis to create a variable zoom effect. Zoom with a single lens would be 'interesting'.

The lens also needs to remain focus free (fixed focus)...... quite a challenge !

Hopefully we will find out in due course.

I hope Seek are putting effort into improving the electronic and software design, as well as the optical path.

Aurora
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 03:39:15 pm by Aurora »
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Offline efahrenholz

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1549 on: January 21, 2015, 05:55:56 pm »
My bet is on a three Lens system. The extra $100 gets you the two additional elements and the modified lens housing. The lenses being the majority of the cost. R&D was probably complete before Seek ever released the original module, retooling probably began after initial release of the module. They had to retool to be able to handle two formfactors. Might explain some of the delays they experienced initially. Parts are being manufactured now, and they are likely building a small inventory, but the non zoom module will still outsell. My best guess is the zoom model will produce very blurry images, terrible temperature accuracy and low contrast, thanks to seek limiting the smaller temperature spans. At 1x, it will be noisier than the fixed lens model.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf