Author Topic: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??  (Read 956798 times)

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
Re: FTDI driver kills fake FTDI FT232??
« Reply #1425 on: November 02, 2014, 02:38:19 pm »
I LOVE this thread!!!  I have to 'disappear' from the net for a weekend due to a 'far more important' hobby of mine (drag racing)...  Not only do I come back to find another whole BATCH of politically induced BULLSHIT from 'the paid troll', I also had to waste several HOURS 'fixing' the data-logger connectivity of several VERY high end drag racers (who now consider me to be an absolute 'I.T. deity'...  Go figure!!!).  Naturally, after having remedied their issues, I explained (impartially? Yeah right, they KNOW me better than that!!!) the reasons why their time proven systems had suddenly turned into custard.  The 'news' spread through the venue like an Santa Ana bushfire and they all want me to build them a new USB-RS232C cable that will take the big FTDI question totally out of the equation!  Even the Top Fuellers who already had GENUINE FTDI chips in their systems.....  (Racepak and RPM seem to supply a 'custom' VID / PID on their FTDI equipped cables as do many others).  It's simply not worth them 'risking' a $200k motor on some NASTY $20 cable!
I probably SHOULD be thanking FTDI for the extra business, but in reality, I am NOT an EE...  I just 'hit keys' and electronics is merely a hobby.
Perhaps FTDI needs to mix a bit more Ammonium Nitrate into their Nitromethane next time so they can 'go out in style'....  OKLAHOMA style...
Anyway, I have a bunch more in this thread (from the 'paid trolls')....  Might be more posts from me real soon

Small world, I used to do Drag racing games for PCs that actually will output RacePak data and we worked with them to actually distribute it with the games :)

Great group of people, and I miss those times (late 90s early 2000) We even hooked the simulator to a Christmas tree for a head to head on the Skoal museum.

We also sponsored the NHRA moto1.net Nationals in Va.

If you know Capps and see him, say hi from me, awesome guy that helped us a lot and was very passionate for our game.

Edit: saw your other reply. I guess the crewchiefs shouldn't buy cheap equipment, kidding. :)
I concede.

Edit: found a picture on the internet of the simulator, not a good one (the picture that is), but there was some video about video games and racers and they did show it in there on ESPN a long time ago.
Btw the tree was hooked via RS232 but we always used physical ports.

Source:
http://www.tmgeventmarketing.com/port10.htm
Since TMG remodeled the Skoal Racing mobile marketing unit in 2004, over a half-million consumers have enjoyed visiting the display.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:27:48 pm by miguelvp »

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1426 on: November 02, 2014, 03:08:23 pm »
I'm just curious, why not using silabs chips? CP21xx can offer the same functionality with reduced cost, and spi/i2c options. Why stick to FTDI craps? Personally I prefer silabs chips because:

a. counterfeits are less common;
How do you know that?

The 'news' spread through the venue like an Santa Ana bushfire and they all want me to build them a new USB-RS232C cable that will take the big FTDI question totally out of the equation!  Even the Top Fuellers who already had GENUINE FTDI chips in their systems.....  (Racepak and RPM seem to supply a 'custom' VID / PID on their FTDI equipped cables as do many others).  It's simply not worth them 'risking' a $200k motor on some NASTY $20 cable!

The ones that had a problem already were risking their motors with NASTY $20 cables built with fake parts. If the FTID drivers brick your cable you know you had a piece of shit built with fake parts of unknown quality and origin which ought to to be replaced.

Your answer is to replace all the cables with something using another part because the other part makes it harder to know when you have a piece of shit built with fake parts.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: November 02, 2014, 05:06:30 pm »
I've been playing with electronic gadgets from 8 yrs old, practice over a decade trained me how to tell whether a part is genuine or not.

Perhaps you will share your insight. So many here are claiming it is virtually impossible to build product without fake parts.

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: November 02, 2014, 05:18:35 pm »
The ones that had a problem already were risking their motors with NASTY $20 cables built with fake parts. If the FTID drivers brick your cable you know you had a piece of shit built with fake parts of unknown quality and origin which ought to to be replaced.

Your answer is to replace all the cables with something using another part because the other part makes it harder to know when you have a piece of shit built with fake parts.

The main risk is future FTDI actions. Staying away from anything related to FTDI reduces the risk. FTDI became its own enemy. This is the brand suicide Dave mentioned in his video. It's that simple.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1429 on: November 02, 2014, 05:42:49 pm »

Back under your bridge, troll. We're not playing...

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: November 02, 2014, 05:55:59 pm »
The main risk is future FTDI actions. Staying away from anything related to FTDI reduces the risk.

There is no risk if you are not using fake parts - so as I keep saying if you want to get away with using fake crap of unknown quality and origin then avoiding FTDI parts is a good idea.

If you don't want to be using fake crap of unknown quality and origin then you have more reason to use FTDI parts now than you did before the recent driver release.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1431 on: November 02, 2014, 06:02:50 pm »
Re: Rufus:

There's no point in addressing Rufus, he is read-only.

To tell if a chip is faked/refurbished, simply look at its marking. Reputable ic vendors will use laser beam to print their markings, while other vendors may use old school silk printer. Also, even if some small companies do have laser markers, they won't have the best ones. Their markings may not be as "crispy" as genuine ones. You can always buy one sample from digikey, or download a high resolution picture of a genuine chip, and compare it with your samples.

If you read the earlier posts, you will see that the genuine FTDI parts have printed markings, while at least some of the fake ones are laser marked  :-//

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: November 02, 2014, 06:18:28 pm »
[There is no risk if you are not using fake parts - so as I keep saying if you want to get away with using fake crap of unknown quality and origin then avoiding FTDI parts is a good idea.

If you don't want to be using fake crap of unknown quality and origin then you have more reason to use FTDI parts now than you did before the recent driver release.

With ideal supply chain you are right. With real world supply chain FTDI is risky because units will pass QC and will later fail in the field when FTDI will escalate their counter measures.

For designers, the practical thing to do is keeping FTDI out.  It's that simple.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1433 on: November 02, 2014, 06:31:30 pm »
There is not a single engineer wants to use fake chips, but shamely, their bosses may.

Sure and when FTDI come out with an effective if somewhat brutal method of detecting fakes a proportion of 'engineers' here scream "Oh shit I didn't want to know" and I should take measures so I won't know in the future.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: November 02, 2014, 06:46:52 pm »
Rufus is not a *troll*, if you look at his postings, he is actually a very intelligent person and a competent engineer.

Now I will have to go back through my old posts to find something I can use to dispute that assertion :)

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: November 02, 2014, 06:47:19 pm »
there *ARE* some FTDI paid trolls on this thread.

You think they are and they are are two different things.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: November 02, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »
But when an otherwise intelligent person is making illogical arguments to support a position, then you know that there is a hidden agenda.

What's logical or not is highly subjective. What's illogical to you may be perfectly logical to somebody else, and vice versa.

Either way, it is best not to impart bad intentions on people who disagree with you.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: November 02, 2014, 07:47:31 pm »
there *ARE* some FTDI paid trolls on this thread.

You think they are and they are are two different things.

Perhaps.  But when an otherwise intelligent person is making illogical arguments to support a position, then you know that there is a hidden agenda.  As an example, just listen to some USA politicians sometime with your ears open, when they are trying to convince you that something that *is* is not, or that something that *isn't* is....

re: "intelligent person is making illogical arguments to support a position, then you know that there is a hidden agenda."

May be there is a hidden agenda, but may be not.   We all on occasion dig our heels in.  At times, our heels got dug in so far it became a "reflex instinct" to fight to the finish...

Many of us here are in occupation with moments of high pressure and/or long hours with excessive stress.  Such condition often cause some to be irritable, or short tempered, or stubbornly unreasonable at times.

We all have our stubborn moments...

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1438 on: November 02, 2014, 08:08:13 pm »
May be there is a hidden agenda, but may be not.   We all on occasion dig our heels in.  At times, our heels got dug in so far it became a "reflex instinct" to fight to the finish...

Many of us here are in occupation with moments of high pressure and/or long hours with excessive stress.  Such condition often cause some to be irritable, or short tempered, or stubbornly unreasonable at times.

We all have our stubborn moments...

I strongly disagree!

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: November 02, 2014, 08:21:16 pm »
Wow, that philosophy wouldn't last two minutes in a proper customer-support organization. How astonishingly clueless about the end-user support world.

Please elaborate on how you think the entire all industries all fields of work end user support world should work. Does everyone get a personal IT support person standing by their side to guide them through the terribly complex process of pointing, clicking, and typing into this strange box the strange person calls a computer?

Which by the way if you want I can do it for you personally for free online to fix the FTDI PID issues if you have any. In IT support if the person is at an ends of their ability then yes people take over but you shouldn't hand hold 100% of the time and must adapt to the situation and person your talking to. For an IT group fixing things like this is peanuts compared to a bad windows update that wasn't caught in deployment testing which can cause many more problems.
I LOVE this thread!!!  I have to 'disappear' from the net for a weekend due to a 'far more important' hobby of mine (drag racing)...  Not only do I come back to find another whole BATCH of politically induced BULLSHIT from 'the paid troll', I also had to waste several HOURS 'fixing' the data-logger connectivity of several VERY high end drag racers (who now consider me to be an absolute 'I.T. deity'...  Go figure!!!).  Naturally, after having remedied their issues, I explained (impartially? Yeah right, they KNOW me better than that!!!) the reasons why their time proven systems had suddenly turned into custard.  The 'news' spread through the venue like an Santa Ana bushfire and they all want me to build them a new USB-RS232C cable that will take the big FTDI question totally out of the equation!  Even the Top Fuellers who already had GENUINE FTDI chips in their systems.....  (Racepak and RPM seem to supply a 'custom' VID / PID on their FTDI equipped cables as do many others).  It's simply not worth them 'risking' a $200k motor on some NASTY $20 cable!
I probably SHOULD be thanking FTDI for the extra business, but in reality, I am NOT an EE...  I just 'hit keys' and electronics is merely a hobby.
Perhaps FTDI needs to mix a bit more Ammonium Nitrate into their Nitromethane next time so they can 'go out in style'....  OKLAHOMA style...
Anyway, I have a bunch more in this thread (from the 'paid trolls')....  Might be more posts from me real soon

Wait wouldn't the fact that your tricking people into paying you money by taking advantage of the news be the very definition of a paid troll? You have a clear conflict of interest in that your directly benefiting by your own admission.

A custom VID/PID part would not be affected by this PID change issue so your in fact lying to your customers to induce them to give you work they don't need done. This is beyond unethical.

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1440 on: November 02, 2014, 08:31:48 pm »
Rufus is not a *troll*, if you look at his postings, he is actually a very intelligent person and a competent engineer.  To me at least, he seems to like a good fight, and in general seems to engage in contrary thinking to the rest of the forum on many occasions.  There is nothing wrong with that, and it keeps all of our minds sharp as a bonus.  BUT-- there *ARE* some FTDI paid trolls on this thread.  I will leave it up to you to ferret them out...  Look for things like: supporting FTDI's actions [of releasing a driver containing trojan malware] no matter how flawed the logic; and: not having any other postings on any other thread except for this one...  Good hunting!

I think it has been shown that you're an outright liar so I wouldn't put much stock in your claims,

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ftdi-driver-kills-fake-ftdi-ft232/msg541760/#msg541760

Edit: grammar corrected (your > you're), minor error (a > an)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:17:50 pm by a210210200 »

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1441 on: November 02, 2014, 08:47:36 pm »
Rufus is not a *troll*, if you look at his postings, he is actually a very intelligent person and a competent engineer.  To me at least, he seems to like a good fight, and in general seems to engage in contrary thinking to the rest of the forum on many occasions.  There is nothing wrong with that, and it keeps all of our minds sharp as a bonus.  BUT-- there *ARE* some FTDI paid trolls on this thread.  I will leave it up to you to ferret them out...  Look for things like: supporting FTDI's actions [of releasing a driver containing trojan malware] no matter how flawed the logic; and: not having any other postings on any other thread except for this one...  Good hunting!

I think it has been shown that your a outright liar so I wouldn't put much stock in your claims,

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/ftdi-driver-kills-fake-ftdi-ft232/msg541760/#msg541760

Come now, digging your heels in is one thing, lets avoid getting too close to personal attack.

If there was indeed an inconsistent statement made, one could point it out and ask for an explanation.

Rick

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1442 on: November 02, 2014, 08:53:20 pm »
... x 158
I'm curious, but not so much that I want to read through every one of your posts in this thread (curiously this thread alone). Have you, or can you categorically deny any affiliation with FTDI?

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:16 pm »
Come now, digging your heels in is one thing, lets avoid getting too close to personal attack.

If there was indeed an inconsistent statement made, one could point it out and ask for an explanation.

Rick

It is just a completely factual statement or if you don't think that just tit-for-tat.

A personal attack would be like in direct response to my reply,
"You are obviously a "shill" for FTDI." which both implies that I'm somehow being paid to write my opinion which I find ethically abhorrent and highly offensive that someone would claim that and then have the gall to say he did not later saying that it was proof again that I was (assuming no one read far enough back to top that off).

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:36 pm »
I think it has been shown that your a outright liar so I wouldn't put much stock in your claims,

And I think you are an FTDI paid operative that was sent here to distract us from the real trolls. Show us your bank statement if it's not true.

Seriously, people have the right to have different opinions. Otherwise it would be boring here. No need to go personal. Even if FTDI has trolls here, so what, if you don't agree with the opinion they express don't adopt them.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #1445 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:43 pm »

It is very ironic the link you refer to shows you critisizing another for poor grammar when you say here:

Please stop your personal attacks as it is against the forum rules and reduces your reputation here. I also must say that I believe you are trolling but I could be wrong. It is just that it seems you joined just to defend FTDI.

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: November 02, 2014, 09:08:21 pm »
... x 158
I'm curious, but not so much that I want to read through every one of your posts in this thread (curiously this thread alone). Have you, or can you categorically deny any affiliation with FTDI?

Yes I do categorically deny any affiliation with FTDI, I'm an employee at the University Of British Columbia and I designed a few boards with FTDI chips and that is it just as many others have here and saw the fuss after finishing another project and decided to jump over to the board after catching up on youtube subscription uploads.

If you are at UBC pm me and we can arrange a meeting and I can give you a tour of where I work. I don't think it is good for internet security reasons to go posting a mountain of information.

Also this is just the main thread I'm sitting on and it is not in fact true that this is the only thread I comment on, I'm a new user and the first thread I jump into is usually going to start with a bang. I deliver quality service which in comments means a whole wall of words it is just how I write in general.

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1447 on: November 02, 2014, 09:10:59 pm »

And I think you are an FTDI paid operative that was sent here to distract us from the real trolls. Show us your bank statement if it's not true.

Seriously, people have the right to have different opinions. Otherwise it would be boring here. No need to go personal. Even if FTDI has trolls here, so what, if you don't agree with the opinion they express don't adopt them.

Seriously your going to ask me to post my bank statement that is pretty odd request to ask. No one should post that kind of information to a public forum PM me and I can meet in person if you want at my place of work. People do have the right to have an opinion but when they start claiming things like you are it isn't opinion when they contradict themselves.

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: November 02, 2014, 09:12:46 pm »

It is very ironic the link you refer to shows you critisizing another for poor grammar when you say here:

Please stop your personal attacks as it is against the forum rules and reduces your reputation here. I also must say that I believe you are trolling but I could be wrong. It is just that it seems you joined just to defend FTDI.

I don't think your reading it correctly I'm not criticizing the grammar I'm showing that he is making a highly contradictory statement by saying he never directly mentioned me when he did in fact have an entire post equating me to FTDI.

Edit: Grammar wars is just the flavor of the post the meat of it is his own quotes contradicting himself. Also there is a huge difference between defending a point of view and being paid sponsor to write a script. It is a highly personal attack to claim that someone is just a paid puppet.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:20:42 pm by a210210200 »

Offline a210210200

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1449 on: November 02, 2014, 09:33:35 pm »
This post is a bit different because it is from another IP address which is a UBC workstation that I have remote access rights to for support and processing data remotely. So if any admin/mod wants to check it should resolve to UBC.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf