Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2313312 times)

Offline dimkasta

• Regular Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #2675 on: April 26, 2017, 11:50:19 pm »
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Really appreciate the input

But as I said, at this point I do not have the energy or the time for woodworking. I have too much stuff to do as it is, and I'd rather spend the little personal time I have in things I (currently) find more relaxing :)
Although woodwork can be quite therapeutic itself :)

I will just add some longer extension screws on the feet and just live with one of the tables being ~5cm higher than the other.

Offline Dielectric

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2676 on: April 27, 2017, 07:27:02 pm »
If I understood correctly, he needs to cut 0.5cm off of one end to squeeze two of these between 2 walls, in which case the cut end would be snug against a wall.  So finishing it or covering it with laminate is unnecessary. If it was me, I'd just file or sand the top edge of the cut smooth and perhaps use a strip of white duct tape across the cut end before putting it up against the wall.

If it's going to be a semi-permanent installation, then a small bead of white silicone caulk between the top cut edge and wall might also be a good idea.

There could be a problem, depending on how cheap IKEA was being that day.  Those look like their standard Lack tables, which are made like hollow-core doors so there isn't much meat on the ends.  5mm might be all there is before you expose empty space, which isn't very good for a torsion box.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2677 on: April 27, 2017, 08:23:17 pm »
i suppose you could cut it down and then cap off the end with thin plywood, properly bonded that should in theory retain the strength.

Offline palindrom71

• Contributor
« Reply #2678 on: April 27, 2017, 08:35:57 pm »
The only piece of my lab I can show shameless :palm:
Cheers, Marcin

Offline Messtechniker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Old analog audio hand - No voodoo.
« Reply #2679 on: April 27, 2017, 08:57:00 pm »
You may find an additional arm rest to the left an right useful.
I did anyway when dissecting out salivary glands from 3 day old
fruit fly larvae.  8) Yep - Drosophila melanogaster - you know the one.
Even so, I have not yet come around to do smd work. Trying to
avoid such as the plague, although not being jittery yet.
Agilent 34465A, Siglent SDG 2042X, Hameg HMO1022, R&S HMC 8043, Peaktech 2025A, Voltcraft VC 940, M-Audio Audiophile 192, R&S Psophometer UPGR, 3 Transistor Testers, DL4JAL Transistor Curve Tracer, UT622E LCR meter

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2680 on: April 28, 2017, 02:05:30 am »
palindrom71 I've got a similar microscope.

I removed the base and reattached it so the platform is at the rear. I put a heavy metal block on it to act as a counterbalance.

I found it worked much better as the boards can sit on the desk surface, it also puts the eye pieces a little lower.

Offline palindrom71

• Contributor
« Reply #2681 on: April 28, 2017, 07:03:14 am »
Unfortunately it's not a good option for me, as I use backlight often. Great feature for pcb w/o ground plane. I'll have to make additional led ring around objective though. BTW, its price tag is identical to Rigol 1054z  :-+
Cheers, Marcin

Offline MrMetthew

• Regular Contributor
  • Where it all comes down to : i = c (dv/dt)
« Reply #2682 on: April 28, 2017, 07:49:59 am »
That's just awesome!

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #2683 on: April 28, 2017, 08:16:28 am »
Every lab need a Jacobs Ladder, so here's mine:

Videos (embedded HTML5 / ogg, may not work on anything else but firefox)  here:
http://wunderkis.de/britzel/index.html
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2684 on: April 30, 2017, 01:54:55 am »
Speaking of arcs... my main workshop has two doors; one for me and one for the cats. Pic1.
The cat flap is good in theory, but not so great in practice. One cat is too thick to ever figure it out. And one of the local possums is smart enough to use it, to get to the cat food bowls inside. That's bad enough, but having got inside it also then decides to explore for comfy possum nests.

Which in a large workshop there are plenty of, among the expensive and precious equipment and storage areas.
But I highly disapprove. Anyone who knows how destructive possums always are will understand. They chew everything (including wiring - both signal and mains), and their pee is corrosive enough to eat through stainless steel (an actual thing that happened here.) Also they pee everywhere they go, to mark their path. So hopefully people won't frown on the next part too much.

Pic 2 is a small hand held Tesla coil. These are normally used to find vacuum leaks in glassware, by observing where electrons can get through, causing more visible ionization in the low pressure internal gas.
It's currently taped on a stick, so it can be poked into small spaces in cupboards and other difficult to access spaces a possum would like. This setup is the result of a recent argument with Mr Possum, over whether he's allowed in my workshop. The Possum Prod (Tesla on a stick) worked pretty well, and wins that argument on the spot.

Fortunately that time he'd chosen a cupboard full of non-electronic stuff (lab glassware and kitchen utensils mostly) so the Tesla coil could be used without destroying equipment.  But possums are incredibly stubborn, and he came back in the next night briefly. I guess the next step is a cage trap and transporting to some very distant bushland.

Pic 3 shows the type of arcing these little units make. Nothing visible unless it's held within an inch of something. Concrete, possum...

Pic 4 is it in contact with a light bulb. The glass is still insulating, so there's ionization streamers radially on the surface, and a capacitively  coupled streamer inside.

Pic 5 is a few seconds later. A point on the glass has heated up enough from the high frequency dissipation, to become conductive. The hot spot glows, there's no side streaming, and a stronger internal ionization path.

20170502 edit to add pic:  A funny looking cat.
20170505 edit to add pic: Caught. Will be relocated to a nice new (and distant) bush home today.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 11:54:13 pm by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2685 on: April 30, 2017, 02:38:06 am »
Speaking of arcs... my main workshop has two doors; one for me and one for the cats. Pic1.
The cat flap is good in theory, but not so great in practice. One cat is too thick to ever figure it out. And one of the local possums is smart enough to use it, to get to the cat food bowls inside. That's bad enough, but having got inside it also then decides to explore for comfy possum nests.

Which in a large workshop there are plenty of, among the expensive and precious equipment and storage areas.
But I highly disapprove. Anyone who knows how destructive possums always are will understand. They chew everything (including wiring - both signal and mains), and their pee is corrosive enough to eat through stainless steel (an actual thing that happened here.) Also they pee everywhere they go, to mark their path. So hopefully people won't frown on the next part too much.

Pic 2 is a small hand held Tesla coil. These are normally used to find vacuum leaks in glassware, by observing where electrons can get through, causing more visible ionization in the low pressure internal gas.
It's currently taped on a stick, so it can be poked into small spaces in cupboards and other difficult to access spaces a possum would like. This setup is the result of a recent argument with Mr Possum, over whether he's allowed in my workshop. The Possum Prod (Tesla on a stick) worked pretty well, and wins that argument on the spot.

Fortunately that time he'd chosen a cupboard full of non-electronic stuff (lab glassware and kitchen utensils mostly) so the Tesla coil could be used without destroying equipment.  But possums are incredibly stubborn, and he came back in the next night briefly. I guess the next step is a cage trap and transporting to some very distant bushland.

Pic 3 shows the type of arcing these little units make. Nothing visible unless it's held within an inch of something. Concrete, possum...

Pic 4 is it in contact with a light bulb. The glass is still insulating, so there's ionization streamers radially on the surface, and a capacitively  coupled streamer inside.

Pic 5 is a few seconds later. A point on the glass has heated up enough from the high frequency dissipation, to become conductive. The hot spot glows, there's no side streaming, and a stronger internal ionization path.
;D
My Telsa on a stick is .22 calibre as we're allowed to shoot them here.  >:D

Yep. they love vacant sheds especially when the weather has broken to our Autumn and Winter.
When I was a kid we loved hunting them up in trees where they slept, we didn't get many as we only were allowed pocket knives back then and we soon learnt to respect their sharp claws and teeth.  :wtf:
In the following 50 odd years I must have shot thousands.....which reminds me there's another one I saw the other night in the tree behind the house....another that needs dealing to.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2686 on: April 30, 2017, 02:42:06 am »
The cat flap is good in theory, but not so great in practice. One cat is too thick to ever figure it out.

I have a flap in the door leading into my garage from my kitchen, which my cat knows how to use very well.

The funny thing is if I'm in the kitchen she will wait at the door for me to open the main door, instead of using the flap.

Go figure ...  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2687 on: April 30, 2017, 02:46:17 am »
The cat flap is good in theory, but not so great in practice. One cat is too thick to ever figure it out.

I have a flap in the door leading into my garage from my kitchen, which my cat knows how to use very well.

The funny thing is if I'm in the kitchen she will wait at the door for me to open the main door, instead of using the flap.

Dogs have masters............Cats have servants.  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.   Come visit us at EMEX Stand #1001 https://www.emex.co.nz/

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, Cubdriver

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2688 on: April 30, 2017, 02:48:34 am »

Dogs have masters............Cats have servants.  :P
However, who said you can't train cats ?

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2689 on: April 30, 2017, 02:54:44 am »
However, who said you can't train cats ?

Yea I've seen that, and it's impressive, but the more amazing thing is that cats can actually train humans:o
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2690 on: April 30, 2017, 04:29:18 am »
Cats being trained to use a bell is a ruse. They're just playing along in order to empower themselves with the ability to call their servants from a distance. Don't try to "train" them to use a smartphone. You have been warned. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2691 on: April 30, 2017, 04:32:44 am »
The Possum Prod (Tesla on a stick) worked pretty well, and wins that argument on the spot.

Sounds like you need to mount the Tesla on a stick beside the cat door along with an RFID transceiver and microcontroller. Then, put corresponding chips on your cats. Door opens without proper ID? Vacuum leak test engaged!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2692 on: April 30, 2017, 05:32:43 am »
I was once able to train a cat to use the toilet. I never could get her to flush it though.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #2693 on: April 30, 2017, 09:08:46 am »
Sounds like you need to mount the Tesla on a stick beside the cat door along with an RFID transceiver and microcontroller. Then, put corresponding chips on your cats. Door opens without proper ID? Vacuum leak test engaged!

Hmmm... And the failure mode is???
I'd thought of that. Too much trouble and risks zapping my cats. A better way is just having an IR camera outside looking at the cat flap, and monitor inside at my desk. Plus the ZAP button. But despite the video-game-like satisfaction factor this still has flaws. In that possums are so stubborn I expect the 'training' wouldn't be reliable.

Trapping and relocating the cute little destructo-monster seems the best way. That doesn't involve an axe. (Since we're not allowed to shoot them here.)
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2694 on: April 30, 2017, 09:36:58 am »
THz, they're suckers for a flour and aniseed lure in low light conditions so shouldn't be hard to entice into a cage trap.
Bit of aniseed rag tied onto the cage trip trigger should do the trick. Half a nice apple works well too.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:46:26 am by tautech »

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2695 on: April 30, 2017, 05:35:07 pm »
Today I am working on the case for the Dos4ever uTracer.
Re-purposing a Microsense capacitive meter.
Works great case has handles, meter, detachable lid, 20vdc power supply, switches and fits PC Board perfectly.
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2696 on: April 30, 2017, 07:05:28 pm »
I thought my DSA was not exactly a space saver but you have 2 of them!  :o
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2697 on: April 30, 2017, 08:47:38 pm »
If you put some old HP Linear power supplies and a Dell Server Rack next to them they don't look so big.
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2698 on: May 01, 2017, 12:11:20 am »
Here is my work bench. I never quite feel it's optimized, no matter where I put something it seems to be the wrong spot. I recently replaced my 11302A and 8920B with lunch box replacements. I like the extra space and at least now it's easy to move things around ( the 11302A and 8920B pretty much had permanent locations ). I'm thinking of making some movable racks to stack some things but not sure what I want to do.

For now, this is the way it looks. It's 8 feet wide and 3 feet deep. The top shelf is not really sagging.

Joel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2699 on: May 01, 2017, 03:08:09 am »

Hmmm... And the failure mode is???
I'd thought of that. Too much trouble and risks zapping my cats.

Certainly. It was not intended to be a serious project concept. Who knows how reliable and consistent RFID would be in such a setup.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf