Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2313349 times)

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1475 on: October 21, 2015, 08:15:27 pm »
Looking at all these pictures I've got a bit of an idea how I will arrange my new 'lab'. Next week I'll get the keys of my new house and the attic will be (partially) my new lab.
This lab will be one of the two 'man-cave-like' area's, the other is the garage for my oldtimer. Before I can set-up the lab, first we have to get the 'special area' ready for our own project just like Dave showed us in EEVblog #175.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1476 on: October 21, 2015, 08:40:59 pm »
What I notice in general is that people try to cram all their test equipment and PC(s) in a very small space. In most cases you don't need all the test equipment together. Most of my test equipment is stored on a shelve or a cabinet and I only put the equipment I need on my bench. This also makes it easy to have 2 or 3 work areas with seperate projects and their specific equipment needs.
I notice this on occasion. Depending on what they're doing, this makes perfect sense. But then I see a bench with stacks of 4+ scopes. Or 12+ DMMs. And that makes me wonder if this is a bench or a showroom for nerd gear. 

I quite often have to set my bench up for specific jobs and suffer some "downtime" when I can't work on something else until the other job is complete. My workbench is a multitool, in itself. I don't have room for stacks of redundant test equipment on/around my main work area. Can never have enough empty space. Doesn't help that I'm a slob. I can't post a pic of my workbench, because it looks like the Jim Williams ESD thread.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:51:01 pm by KL27x »

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #1477 on: October 21, 2015, 09:05:23 pm »
I agree, my bench looks cluttered to those that dont see what I do. 99% of it is used every day. Right now, my bench has to accomodate anything and everything immediately. Soldering wire harnesses, PCB building, validation, repairs, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1478 on: October 21, 2015, 10:23:06 pm »
I always say: 'Clutter is only in your mind'. If you arrange the same stuff on your desk in an organised way it will look really nice but you still have the same amount of crap on your desk. The biggest trick is to have a fixed location for each item so you can store it and find it again. If a fixed location cannot be found for an item seriously consider to throw it into the bin.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 11:44:33 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1479 on: October 22, 2015, 03:13:20 am »
I agree, my bench looks cluttered to those that dont see what I do. 99% of it is used every day.
I wish I could get up to 30%. At least 2/3rd of my clutter is stuff I can't quite figure out how to categorize and store for later. I have tried "project oriented' boxes, but some projects are so big they can't fit in 5 boxes. So random "sorta critical" stuff might remain on the bench until needed. Some projects never get finished, so you know how that goes.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1480 on: October 22, 2015, 07:23:52 am »
What I notice in general is that people try to cram all their test equipment and PC(s) in a very small space. In most cases you don't need all the test equipment together. Most of my test equipment is stored on a shelve or a cabinet and I only put the equipment I need on my bench. This also makes it easy to have 2 or 3 work areas with seperate projects and their specific equipment needs.
I notice this on occasion. Depending on what they're doing, this makes perfect sense. But then I see a bench with stacks of 4+ scopes. Or 12+ DMMs. And that makes me wonder if this is a bench or a showroom for nerd gear. 

I'm trying to organize my electronics workshop on the principle of having most test gear mounted in equipment racks, on roller bases. Then a few smallish benches for different work areas. The idea being to roll the appropriate racks near to the benches or in clusters as required.
But so far it isn't complete. For one thing the racks are supposed to be powered from one distribution rack, and that's not finished. Also, I still have too much floor clutter, so there isn't actually room to roll the racks around.
Well, it's a nice theory, and I'm gradually working towards giving it a fair trial. A workshop with about twice as much floor space would be better.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1481 on: October 22, 2015, 06:02:55 pm »
A workshop with about twice as much floor space would be better.

Yes....I am crammed into a tiny space right now. Over the years, I have always had an excess of space. When I got rid of my building and moved it all into my house, it became a lot more challenging. I am in the process of finishing another 500 square feet in the next few months, but for now, I can only have one bench and no room for roll around racks which I think would be much better. My hopes and dreams for my new, bigger space keep my mind busy at night.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1482 on: October 22, 2015, 11:01:30 pm »
Yes....I am crammed into a tiny space right now. Over the years, I have always had an excess of space. When I got rid of my building and moved it all into my house, it became a lot more challenging. I am in the process of finishing another 500 square feet in the next few months, but for now, I can only have one bench and no room for roll around racks which I think would be much better. My hopes and dreams for my new, bigger space keep my mind busy at night.

If you are doing the 'racks of gear, on rollers' thing, I hope you have a concrete floor.
It could be an extremely bad idea to do this on a timber floor. The racks get incredibly heavy, and if a roller punched through a floorboard, the rack would tip over. Damaging much gear at a minimum, and possibly killing you, worst case.

I had a close brush with death due to a rack falling over once. --->  <--- THAT close to having head crushed between fast moving and very heavy objects. No equipment damage, since the rack caught up on an adjacent structure and only went to about 25 degrees off vertical. My head had been in the space between, barely managed to jerk out of the way as the thing tipped over. Would have been squishy if I'd been slow.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1483 on: October 22, 2015, 11:16:56 pm »
Yes! For sure, I have a seamless concrete floor that is being treated with anti-static epoxy. I know what you mean about heavy - After the 2 big linear supplies go in, the multi channel DC load, and the APC in the bottom - I am over 400lbs already without counting the rack itself. After it is all done, the "heavy" rack will probably be creeping up on 600lbs. The delicate gear, will be another rack that is far lighter for sure.

Being crushed to death by a rack of power supplies is not a great way to go.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1484 on: October 22, 2015, 11:29:54 pm »
... and the APC in the bottom ...

Armored Personnel Carrier in your rack? No wonder it's heavy!    UPS?

Another thing, just in case you didn't know - don't leave the rack weight on the rollers when you're not moving it. If you have screw-downs, use them. If not, find a way to add them. Avoids developing flats on the roller wheels, and also makes the rack safer against tipping and feel more solid.

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1485 on: October 22, 2015, 11:38:02 pm »

Armored Personnel Carrier in your rack? No wonder it's heavy!    UPS?

Another thing, just in case you didn't know - don't leave the rack weight on the rollers when you're not moving it. If you have screw-downs, use them. If not, find a way to add them. Avoids developing flats on the roller wheels, and also makes the rack safer against tipping and feel more solid.

Yes, Its an APC 2200 UPS which is around 90lbs. There are two Agilent 6653A's that are around 70lbs. The Chroma DC Electronic Load system is just under 100lbs. A few other bits and pieces will add up to another 50-ish pounds.

The idea of using casters with jacks is good. It could easily sit for long periods which is not good for casters or floor. Here in CA, we have to be cautious about earthquakes as well.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1486 on: October 23, 2015, 01:16:55 am »
The idea of using casters with jacks is good. It could easily sit for long periods which is not good for casters or floor. Here in CA, we have to be cautious about earthquakes as well.

Where the rack doesn't have them built in, this is what I do: http://everist.org/NobLog/20130924_rack_roller_base.htm
At least in Australia the ground isn't trying to kill us.

Offline grimmjaw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1487 on: October 23, 2015, 02:28:01 am »
I'm curious..do you guys have fire extinguisher anywhere in your lab?

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1488 on: October 23, 2015, 02:31:51 am »
yes,  I have a few. One by the laser cutter. Some others to deal with acetone, alcohol, and other chemicals. Fortunately, never used one in the lab but i have used them for emergencies in the field.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Offline grimmjaw

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1489 on: October 23, 2015, 02:48:39 am »
Good to know.I currently updating my electronics labs and thinking getting a fire extinguisher for just in case.Great to know that I not so paranoid  :scared:

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1490 on: October 23, 2015, 03:59:24 am »
I have a couple.

Offline inteljoe

• Contributor
« Reply #1491 on: October 23, 2015, 05:27:28 am »
This is my contribution. It's nothing fancy, but it's what I can afford and what I've been able to accumulate over the last year.
Unfortunately electronics engineering is just a hobby and I am very much the amateur. That and, I don't have a lot of space or a lot of money these days for my hobbies.

I'm jealous of all the gear I've seen in this thread and one day I hope to accumulate more of my own... :-BROKE

On the bench;
Fluke 115 DMM, Siglent SDS1072CML oscilloscope, HP E3611A power supply, Hakko FX888-D soldering station, HP 3311A function generator, Hickok Model 270 function generator and an old Weller soldering station that I still use on occasion (I still have a few Weller iron's that work with it).

On the wall;
Electronics reference poster (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/crowd-funded-projects/beautifully-made-electronics-reference-poster/) and Lots of assorted probes, leads and adapters on the breaker box with magnetic hooks. I have some more leads and adapters on the wall just under the shelf in the next picture too (you can barely see it under the lower shelf).

On the lower shelf; Parts/components storage bins and containers, radios, assorted tools and wire, a Craftsman DMM, etc.
On the upper shelf; Magazines, papers/notebooks, and plastic ammo cans with assorted parts/components and other stuff.
Below the shelves is my computer, printer and other assorted stuff (not pictured).

Offline Cubdriver

• Supporter
  • Nixie addict
    • Photos of electronic gear
« Reply #1492 on: October 23, 2015, 06:05:14 am »
Where the rack doesn't have them built in, this is what I do: http://everist.org/NobLog/20130924_rack_roller_base.htm
At least in Australia the ground isn't trying to kill us.

Nice fabrication work!  Something to keep in mind if I ever get a rack set up.

-Pat
If it jams, force it.  If it breaks, you needed a new one anyway...

Online McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1493 on: October 23, 2015, 07:42:40 am »

Yup, a small CO2 device. Only had to use it once, when a PSU of an Amplifier I was about to fix spontaneously combusted.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1494 on: October 23, 2015, 09:47:32 am »

Yup, a small CO2 device. Only had to use it once, when a PSU of an Amplifier I was about to fix spontaneously combusted.

McBryce.
Yes I have one 5Kg CO2 fire extinguisher.
I never had to use it but I think it is absolutely necessary for security.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #1495 on: October 23, 2015, 11:57:11 am »
5kg CO2 and a dry chemical in case some of the solvents really get going!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1496 on: October 23, 2015, 12:39:50 pm »
Too bad the days of Halon fire extinguishers are over
They were by far the best.

Now I have CO2 extinguisher always handy in different places in the lab
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #1497 on: October 23, 2015, 03:50:44 pm »
This is my contribution. It's nothing fancy, but it's what I can afford and what I've been able to accumulate over the last year.
Unfortunately electronics engineering is just a hobby and I am very much the amateur. That and, I don't have a lot of space or a lot of money these days for my hobbies.

I'm jealous of all the gear I've seen in this thread and one day I hope to accumulate more of my own... :-BROKE

No shame in what you got there. That is a nice bench!  :-+
An old gray beard with an attitude.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1498 on: October 24, 2015, 01:58:26 pm »
Too bad the days of Halon fire extinguishers are over
They were by far the best.

Now I have CO2 extinguisher always handy in different places in the lab

Still have the scrapped halon ones. If there was a bank in country they would have gone there, but at present I just keep them around and rust free. CO2 is good, and I have one around, and a dry powder in the kitchen doorway.

Not much use having a fire extinguisher in a cupboard or in a far corner if there is a fire, like interior designers like to do. That, and a stove isolator switch behind the stove such that you have to reach through the inferno going on on top or in the oven to switch it off.........

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1499 on: October 24, 2015, 06:44:34 pm »
I got one from my grandmother when I was 13 or so after showing her my self made super candle! Its still in my parent's shed though. I do have a smoke detector in my lab. If your house is on fire just get out ASAP because the smoke will kill you long before you burn.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf