Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 260312 times)

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #975 on: October 12, 2022, 06:06:43 pm »
I'm increasingly convinced that this is some form of self destructive behavior. [...]

Not referring to your post only, but to several others before: I think this kind of public remote psycho-analysis is quite impertinent and intrusive.

You (and I) might not agree with Fran's decisions. But do you really feel that entitles to try and dissect her (perceived) personality in public? We are talking about a real human being here, who may or may not read this, and who may have deep personal motives for her decisions. Could you leave her alone please?

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, mathsquid, newbrain, MK14, bdunham7, AVGresponding

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #976 on: October 12, 2022, 06:24:15 pm »
..... Could you leave her alone please?

To some extend I agree with you, but on the other hand she made herself a public figure and invites people to donate money to solve her problems. Sure it does not give the right to psycho analyze her behavior, but going on Dave his comments she is not open to helpful suggestions and that can make people wonder and speculate. It is what happens when you put yourself out there on youtube or whatever public platform.

And looking back in this thread shows it happened before, and some speculate it will happen again.

Edit: And don't forget some people thrive on this kind of talk about them. Want nothing more than being in the public eye. I'm not saying that this is the case here.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 06:28:00 pm by pcprogrammer »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #977 on: October 12, 2022, 06:50:14 pm »
I think this might just be our engineering reflexes at work -- trying to troubleshoot a problem from a distance by forming hypotheses and making debugging suggestions. But what is great when trying to help with a technical problem might be inappropriate when addressing personal matters.

The following users thanked this post: mathsquid, MK14

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #978 on: October 12, 2022, 06:53:45 pm »
And Patreon as a company may go tits up, can't exclude that possibility.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #979 on: October 12, 2022, 07:01:43 pm »
I think this might just be our engineering reflexes at work -- trying to troubleshoot a problem from a distance by forming hypotheses and making debugging suggestions. But what is great when trying to help with a technical problem might be inappropriate when addressing personal matters.

Maybe, but we are all humans and have possible insights in other things then engineering.

Crisis averted.
I heard from Fran that Patrons have come through and made up the loss, so it's business as usual, at least for now. She'll do a follow-up video.

I'm afraid this won't be sustainable. And it must be humiliating. These videos essentially boil down to begging: "Please give me more money, not because I have something new and interesting to offer, but because I need it now."

But apart from psycho analyzing, you participated yourself too, in offering some interpretation of the situation and what emotions it could bring. (No offense, just the devils advocate)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #980 on: October 12, 2022, 07:26:04 pm »
I'm increasingly convinced that this is some form of self destructive behavior. [...]

Not referring to your post only, but to several others before: I think this kind of public remote psycho-analysis is quite impertinent and intrusive.

You (and I) might not agree with Fran's decisions. But do you really feel that entitles to try and dissect her (perceived) personality in public? We are talking about a real human being here, who may or may not read this, and who may have deep personal motives for her decisions. Could you leave her alone please?
OTOH you can reason that her videos are a cry for help in some form. Yes, more psycho analysing. However,  if Fran didn't want to have this part of her life discussed publicly, then I doubt she would have made repeated video content with her sharing / discussing her financials and living situation. I'm not saying that public figures have no right to a personal life, but bringing parts of their personal life out in the open means other people are going to have an opinion about it and discuss it in public.

I have no doubt everyone here is aware Fran is a real human being who is facing some very though choices and everyone here wishes her the best.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #981 on: October 12, 2022, 07:29:19 pm »
It's hard seeing someone struggle with finances particularly when they have so much technical skills.  The main reason I'm trying to acquire technical skills is so I don't struggle with finances. 

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #982 on: October 12, 2022, 07:29:54 pm »
Maybe, but we are all humans and have possible insights in other things then engineering.

My point was that these insights should be offered in a different way than technical advice. And some should not be offered at all, or at least not in a public forum, in my opinion.

But apart from psycho analyzing, you participated yourself too, in offering some interpretation of the situation and what emotions it could bring. (No offense, just the devils advocate)

Sure. But I believe I drew the line on the right side of "intrusive". (Which is a judgement call of course; others might draw their lines elsewhere.)

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #983 on: October 12, 2022, 07:38:08 pm »
It's hard seeing someone struggle with finances particularly when they have so much technical skills.  The main reason I'm trying to acquire technical skills is so I don't struggle with finances.

Having technical skills is no guarantee to a healthy financial situation. Being able to spend your money in a sensible way is of much more importance.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #984 on: October 12, 2022, 07:41:06 pm »

My point was that these insights should be offered in a different way than technical advice. And some should not be offered at all, or at least not in a public forum, in my opinion.

Sure. But I believe I drew the line on the right side of "intrusive". (Which is a judgement call of course; others might draw their lines elsewhere.)

I agree, and will refrain from participating in talks about her. But by responding to you I'm know trapped in this thread :-DD

Offline AndyBeez

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #985 on: October 12, 2022, 08:17:53 pm »
Fran is a genuine creative person with a passion for space, technology and engineering.

Through her Fran Lab channel she has become an excellent science communicator and, ambassador for the big picture.

Fran deserves our universal respect for her long standing efforts and, our understanding for the circumstance in which she finds herself.

You go girl :-+

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #986 on: October 12, 2022, 08:22:29 pm »

Yes, when somebody makes their dirty laundry very public as Fran has done, then I absolutely feel entitled to analyze anything I can using any information that has been given to me. I am not rooting through her private emails, hacked documents or spying on her at home with a telescope, I am merely looking at what she has presented to the world and presenting a hypothesis based on what I'm seeing. If you don't want people trying to remotely psycho-analyze you, don't put your unusual behavior on public display for the world to see.

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #987 on: October 12, 2022, 08:23:47 pm »
I'm kinda wondering if she got the Microelectronics book I sent at an inconvenient time, either just before or after her last move...
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline MikeK

• Super Contributor
« Reply #988 on: October 12, 2022, 09:35:48 pm »
Whatever her problem is, Python can solve it.  :)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #989 on: October 12, 2022, 10:39:00 pm »
And the real kicker is that with the income she generates, a serious reduction of expenses can quickly build up enough cash at hand to buy her own place (or at least do a significant downpayment that makes getting a mortgage for the rest of the sum not so much of a problem).

She would still have the very real problem of not being able to get a mortgage, being a self employed (and single) Youtuber where Patreon is not actually considered income. It sucks, especially in the US I've heard. But still, I'm sure there would be a way to do, but again, she'd have to be willing to move I think. Although I do recall her saying in a video at one point that she could actually afford a mortage for a place in Philly if she were able to get a loan. Don't know if that's still the case. But either way, she'd still have the factory and two storage units rented.

I spent something like 5 years looking for a suitable storage unit for sale in my business park, it was not easy. But I eventually nabbed the biggest and best storage unit in the park.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 10:55:48 pm by EEVblog »

Offline langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #990 on: October 12, 2022, 10:47:19 pm »
And the real kicker is that with the income she generates, a serious reduction of expenses can quickly build up enough cash at hand to buy her own place (or at least do a significant downpayment that makes getting a mortgage for the rest of the sum not so much of a problem).

She would still have the very real problem of not being able to get a mortgage, being a self employed (and single) Youtuber where Patreon is not actually considered income. It sucks, especially in the US I've heard.

and afaiu getting a mortgage for a business is even worse

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #991 on: October 12, 2022, 10:56:42 pm »

She would still have the very real problem of not being able to get a mortgage, being a self employed (and single) Youtuber where Patreon is not actually considered income. It sucks, especially in the US I've heard.
and afaiu getting a mortgage for a business is even worse

Yes.

Coincidently, this video showed up as recommended, Google is spooky...

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #992 on: October 12, 2022, 11:12:51 pm »
It's difficult but not impossible, people do manage to do it. My mom is self employed and she bought her house, granted that was around 20 years ago. Fran could find somebody to cosign, or she could have downsized greatly the first time this happened and started saving up money for a large downpayment. Once a place is owned she could rent out a room or turn part of it into a separate unit for supplemental income.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #993 on: October 12, 2022, 11:23:10 pm »
It's difficult but not impossible, people do manage to do it. My mom is self employed and she bought her house, granted that was around 20 years ago. Fran could find somebody to cosign, or she could have downsized greatly the first time this happened and started saving up money for a large downpayment. Once a place is owned she could rent out a room or turn part of it into a separate unit for supplemental income.

I suggested to Fran once about potentially doing some tricky company/trust structure so it appears as though she gets a wage from a normal company.
One of the major problems of course is that she doesn't have a partner. Dual incomes looks infinitely better to the banks.
In your 50's, single, and your income mostly coming from Patreon donations for the last few years, your application would go straight in the trash. Doesn't matter if you have a 20% deposit.
I'm surprised one of her viewers doesn't work in banking and could try and help out.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #994 on: October 12, 2022, 11:32:46 pm »
There are no guarantees and it can happen to the best of us regardless of your technical skills, qualifications or life experiences. I was also self employed and built up successful business over decades with a fantastic client base and then found myself suddenly cursed with severe medical conditions at a really bad time. I had dozens of unfinished jobs and was sitting on huge amounts of expensive stock ordered specifically for those jobs.

I didn't anticipate getting so sick and due to time constraints and the complexity of the work I could not get anyone else to take over and complete the jobs. I could not invoice for the work I had completed so was never paid and ended up many tens of thousands out of pocket.

Long story short, I couldn't return to work and at 55 now find myself on full disability support after a five year tormenting battle with Centrelink (welfare my arse, they fabricate shit on the fly). Anyway, I have an entire garage and spare room stacked with stock, tools, gadgets and equipment which, in practical terms no longer has any value. I have extensive experience and knowledge in particular fields which now counts for nothing as I no longer have the ability to use or apply it.

Lessons learnt:
1.  A plan B is not good enough, and neither is a plan Z, it can all turn to shit.
2.  Buy only what you need when you need it, don't buy stuff on a whim.
3.  Get deposits from customers, particularly where there are large outlays.
4.  Friends and family are worth far more than your most valued customer.
5. Keep well, eat well and live well. All the bad stuff you do will come
back to bite you on the arse when you least expect it.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, pcprogrammer

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #995 on: October 13, 2022, 12:16:25 am »
There are no guarantees and it can happen to the best of us regardless of your technical skills, qualifications or life experiences. I was also self employed and built up successful business over decades with a fantastic client base and then found myself suddenly cursed with severe medical conditions at a really bad time. I had dozens of unfinished jobs and was sitting on huge amounts of expensive stock ordered specifically for those jobs.

I didn't anticipate getting so sick and due to time constraints and the complexity of the work I could not get anyone else to take over and complete the jobs. I could not invoice for the work I had completed so was never paid and ended up many tens of thousands out of pocket.

Long story short, I couldn't return to work and at 55 now find myself on full disability support after a five year tormenting battle with Centrelink (welfare my arse, they fabricate shit on the fly). Anyway, I have an entire garage and spare room stacked with stock, tools, gadgets and equipment which, in practical terms no longer has any value. I have extensive experience and knowledge in particular fields which now counts for nothing as I no longer have the ability to use or apply it.

Lessons learnt:
1.  A plan B is not good enough, and neither is a plan Z, it can all turn to shit.
2.  Buy only what you need when you need it, don't buy stuff on a whim.
3.  Get deposits from customers, particularly where there are large outlays.
4.  Friends and family are worth far more than your most valued customer.
5. Keep well, eat well and live well. All the bad stuff you do will come
back to bite you on the arse when you least expect it.

That must have been a really hard time.  I hope things have at least improved somewhat with disability support. 

In my late 30's now and I'm slowly learning these lessons.  My hobbies switched from snowboarding, dirtbiking and video games to hiking, home renos and growing food.  Much better for my finances and my health. 

Having no skills pretty much guarantees bad finances.  I've never thought tech skills guarantee good finances, but I think it increases the likelihood.  I think a lot of people get into electronics hoping to invent something and make lots of money.  That's always been my goal.  With a side goal of earning a good income while working from home.  I like to imagine once one acquires sufficient skills and resources, they can make that happen but I know there is a lot more to it.  I watch Dragon's Den and Shark's Tank and get inspired and then I read about Fran here and think maybe I should focus on home renos and real estate. 

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #996 on: October 13, 2022, 12:33:54 am »
I can't give guidance in regards to being successful but will say one thing, be the best at what you do even if it means focusing on one particular product or field of electronics. If your focus is on the money you will never see it, if you focus on the work then money will follow.   :)   

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #997 on: October 13, 2022, 12:39:08 am »

AI can solve it!

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #998 on: October 13, 2022, 12:46:11 am »
I did post a Python script to manage Swagbucks mining (so that viewers can mine a bit of profit to give to her) but that's no longer profitable.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #999 on: October 13, 2022, 12:55:45 am »
Having no skills pretty much guarantees bad finances.  I've never thought tech skills guarantee good finances, but I think it increases the likelihood.  I think a lot of people get into electronics hoping to invent something and make lots of money.  That's always been my goal.  With a side goal of earning a good income while working from home.  I like to imagine once one acquires sufficient skills and resources, they can make that happen but I know there is a lot more to it.  I watch Dragon's Den and Shark's Tank and get inspired and then I read about Fran here and think maybe I should focus on home renos and real estate.

Having no skills virtually guarantees failure. Success is never guaranteed no matter what, but having skills certainly increases the odds, especially if they're marketable skills that relatively few other people have.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf