Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 529227 times)

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #875 on: September 13, 2017, 03:03:54 pm »
Do Siglent have any plans for new CML+  /DL+ firmware, or is the firmware now finished ?
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #876 on: September 13, 2017, 06:34:04 pm »
I have problem with SDG2042X. It sometimes displays voltage twice higher / lower than it actually is (I know about output impedance). Last boot it the displayed amplitude didn't even change when switching between 50Ohm and HiZ. It all started after I enabled channel coupling. Anyone else experiencing this? I can't figure out the exact steps to reproduce, but it wasn't a single glitch.

Firmware version 23R3

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #877 on: September 14, 2017, 07:57:40 am »
I have problem with SDG2042X. It sometimes displays voltage twice higher / lower than it actually is (I know about output impedance). Last boot it the displayed amplitude didn't even change when switching between 50Ohm and HiZ. It all started after I enabled channel coupling. Anyone else experiencing this? I can't figure out the exact steps to reproduce, but it wasn't a single glitch.

Firmware version 23R3
A Self Cal (after warm up) should return it to factory default.
Then if you retrace previous settings while taking notes if you find a/some settings that give the trouble the factory can try and reproduce it.
Let us know if it's still not right.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #878 on: September 14, 2017, 08:34:22 am »
Then if you retrace previous settings while taking notes if you find a/some settings that give the trouble the factory can try and reproduce it.

The problem gone after reboot. Shall I still do these steps? I never done self cal or something on my instrument because it looks to be calibrated. I prefer not to mess up with calibration without a need...

A few more details: I use it as a DC source and a few times overvoltage protection kicked in (not sure why, investigating. I connect it to LM358N opamp, want to do FRA for my power supply).

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #879 on: September 14, 2017, 09:31:40 am »

The problem gone after reboot.
:-+
Shall I still do these steps?

Only if you want to track down if there is indeed an underlying problem.

I never done self cal or something on my instrument because it looks to be calibrated. I prefer not to mess up with calibration without a need...
It's an internal automated Self Cal, it takes just a few minutes once you enable it. You'll find it tucked away in the Utilities menu. Good idea to run it after any firmware update.

A few more details: I use it as a DC source and a few times overvoltage protection kicked in (not sure why, investigating. I connect it to LM358N opamp, want to do FRA for my power supply).
Use a series diode for peace of mind until you work out what's going on.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Siglent America

« Reply #880 on: September 14, 2017, 08:13:20 pm »
Do Siglent have any plans for new CML+  /DL+ firmware, or is the firmware now finished ?

Although I cannot say with 100% certainty, I do doubt that the CML+ and DL+ will have any new firmware updates any time soon.
These are  pretty mature products now.

You can always check at
www.SiglentAmerica.com
for the latest versions.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #881 on: September 14, 2017, 09:49:26 pm »

Although I cannot say with 100% certainty, I do doubt that the CML+ and DL+ will have any new firmware updates any time soon.
These are  pretty mature products now.

You can always check at
www.SiglentAmerica.com
for the latest versions.
Email to US sent.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #882 on: September 16, 2017, 09:50:56 pm »

Damn, I found the problem. Nothing to do with HiZ/50Ohm. I had inverted polarity enabled, so when I set output to +5V, the actual output was -5V. I noticed this, but I thought that was because of wrong wiring in my bnc-to-crocodile-clip adapter. So I swapped wires to compensate polarity... But channels have common ground. As a result, both outputs became connected together by grounds in DUT and in SDG2042. So, when I set voltage too high on one channel another channel got "overvoltage protection".

It took me a while to find this problem because I checked wiring without completely disconnecting another channel from DUT. So when I checked ground connection on the first channel, the second channel provided the ground path. Huh :(

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #883 on: September 16, 2017, 09:59:38 pm »

Damn, I found the problem. Nothing to do with HiZ/50Ohm. I had inverted polarity enabled, so when I set output to +5V, the actual output was -5V. I noticed this, but I thought that was because of wrong wiring in my bnc-to-crocodile-clip adapter. So I swapped wires to compensate polarity... But channels have common ground. As a result, both outputs became connected together by grounds in DUT and in SDG2042. So, when I set voltage too high on one channel another channel got "overvoltage protection".

It took me a while to find this problem because I checked wiring without completely disconnecting another channel from DUT. So when I checked ground connection on the first channel, the second channel provided the ground path. Huh :(
:)
Which is good reason to know/use the Factory Default function when you've got yourself in a pickle.
Know your instrument.  ;)

Good trap and learning experience.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #884 on: September 17, 2017, 02:10:24 am »
I see the firmware for the SDG2000 series was recently updated.

I was hoping there would be a fix in the firmware update which would allow both channels to be triggered at the same time using a SCPI command. Is this something that is impossible to do via firmware update?

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #885 on: September 17, 2017, 06:52:45 am »
Fix? I must have missed the part where that was a promised feature.

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #886 on: September 17, 2017, 03:06:21 pm »

Thanks for the reply, not quite the answer I was expecting, I meant to write 'supposedly' finished. :)

"These are  pretty mature products now."

So are the bugs! The CML+'s official launch date was only 15 months ago, so not that mature in FW time.
I've since got a PM suggesting there'll be new CML+ FW sometime soon...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 03:19:01 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #887 on: September 17, 2017, 07:57:08 pm »
Fix? I must have missed the part where that was a promised feature.

Ok, so would you recommend they fix the 120MHz sine performance?
https://youtu.be/_Mup2VnXH_k?t=1336

Both channels can be simulatenously triggered from the aux out port.
I guess I shouldn't of assumed this feature was programmable in a programmable function generator  :-DD

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #888 on: September 19, 2017, 07:23:15 am »
Which is good reason to know/use the Factory Default function when you've got yourself in a pickle.

Yeah, that would save a lot of time... On the other side, if problem gone after "reset to defaults" I could blame "buggy firmware". But it is not. At least not in this case. Good to know I can still trust my instrument :)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #889 on: September 22, 2017, 09:01:28 am »
I see the firmware for the SDG2000 series was recently updated.

I was hoping there would be a fix in the firmware update which would allow both channels to be triggered at the same time using a SCPI command. Is this something that is impossible to do via firmware update?
From the SDG2kX product manager:

About the issue of the SDG2000X:
Dual channel triggering via SCPI.
This feature is required to be added into the SCPI command list.

We have confirmed that the SCPI command below can realize it in the latest version (23R7):
C1:BTWV MTRIG (or C2:BTWV MTRIG)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline DazA1

• Contributor
« Reply #890 on: October 04, 2017, 06:39:26 pm »
Any info on a firmware update to the SHS1062 and other handheld scopes?

I have asked about this many times on here and through emails to Siglent, it seems to me they don't have much interest in this product anymore.

Are there any others waiting for an update to the SHS series scopes?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #891 on: October 04, 2017, 06:49:54 pm »
Daz
The last firmware was in March and as the factory is on a break this week we can't get any answers immediately for you, sorry.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline DazA1

• Contributor
« Reply #892 on: October 04, 2017, 07:26:22 pm »
Ok thanks for letting me know.

i am up to date with the firmware and i look forward to their response next week

Offline Andbyk

• Contributor
« Reply #893 on: October 05, 2017, 05:14:27 am »
Are there any others waiting for an update to the SHS series scopes?

I loosed any hope to get update for my SHS1102  :(

Offline DazA1

• Contributor
« Reply #894 on: October 05, 2017, 05:04:16 pm »
Well Siglent joined this forum for customer feedback they should be listening.

If more people ask for the SHS scopes bugs to be fixed on a public forum (i gave up on emails a long time ago) they might take notice.

I've said it before the hardware is good but its the firmware that lets the SHS scopes down.

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #895 on: October 05, 2017, 06:49:50 pm »
I received questions from Siglent America in personal messages, he promised to report bugs to engineers.
It was in March.
It's good that I did not buy the SHS1000, and spent only $ 400 on 806, which still spoils my nerves, it will not be a pity to break it against the wall.
If Rigol were to produce portable oscilloscopes, I would never have bought Siglent.  :--
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 06:59:52 pm by pantelei4 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #896 on: October 05, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »
Thanks guys.
Can I ask if you'd all get together and rebuild your list via PM and repost it here and we'll shove it through to the factory again when they are back on deck.
Things to mention:
Model
Current FW version
Problem
Description of how to replicate problem
How you want it to be fixed

I received questions from Siglent America in personal messages, he promised to report bugs to engineers.
AFAIK Steve is away for the rest of this week and next so we can follow up on this when he returns.

Any problems can be reported directly to the Siglent "Contact us" links on their websites where they will be passed to Tech support and then to engineers. Be sure to include as much info as you can to clearly describe the issue and maybe include screenshots as they show many of the settings used.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline clippo

« Reply #897 on: October 06, 2017, 04:31:14 pm »
I recently bought a Siglent SDS1202X-E oscilloscope (I updated to FW version 5.1.3.13) and I noticed a strange issue while doing some cursor measurements.

Maybe I am wrong or I miss something, but I think there is an issue with the Y cursor offset/scaling. The Y1/Y2 cursor values don't match the Y voltage division/offset of the selected input channel. Please see the attached plots for more details. I used the included probe with x10 setting.

Any feedback is welcome.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #898 on: October 06, 2017, 04:52:42 pm »
I recently bought a Siglent SDS1202X-E oscilloscope (I updated to FW version 5.1.3.13) and I noticed a strange issue while doing some cursor measurements.

Maybe I am wrong or I miss something, but I think there is an issue with the Y cursor offset/scaling. The Y1/Y2 cursor values don't match the Y voltage division/offset of the selected input channel. Please see the attached plots for more details. I used the included probe with x10 setting.

Any feedback is welcome.

Did you note this included in update instructions:

Update instructions
Very important!
Version5.1.3.13 optimizes self-calibration for the each channel. Perform a self-calibration once if the machine is updated from any version <5.1.3.13

After oscilloscope warm up least 30 minutes, do self cal and of course nothing connected to any input BNC's.

I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline clippo

« Reply #899 on: October 06, 2017, 07:52:31 pm »
Update instructions
Very important!
Version5.1.3.13 optimizes self-calibration for the each channel. Perform a self-calibration once if the machine is updated from any version <5.1.3.13

After oscilloscope warm up least 30 minutes, do self cal and of course nothing connected to any input BNC's.

Yes, I read the instructions and performed the self-calibration after the update as described.

But anyway, I don't have an issue with the accuracy of the measured samples. The voltage readings seem ok on the measure/statistics display and on the grid. It is the cursor display and don't see the technical reason why the cursors should be affected by the self-calibration or by the accuracy of the analog front-end since they are just a display feature for reading plotted values.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf