Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 529332 times)

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1000 on: February 10, 2018, 10:44:18 pm »
After some weeks of use, my only wish is that a new firmware would fix the "Intensity Adjust" feature so that when you turn the knob the intensity would immediately adjust unless, of course, we are in some menu mode where it is used for selection.
I hope Siglent will put some attention to this small but important for user-friendly-UI detail.

In early firmware versions (only for the SDS2k back then) the "Intensity Adjust" knob did exactly that. Many users (me included) didn't like that, as this control is used a lot for selecting items and adjusting values in the menu system. Many of us inadvertently changed the trace intensity quite often. Especially people like me, who virtually never change the trace intensity, started to hate this feature. I certainly did not miss it, when it was gone at one point - but I never requested that. Quite the opposite.

When I noticed there are still people who expect to change the trace intensity at any time without digging into a menu, I sent the following note to Siglent:

The universal control knob is labeled “Intensity Adjust” on the front panel of the scopes, but the intensity can only be adjusted when the corresponding menu item on page 2 of the Display menu is selected. I for one like it this way, because I rarely ever adjust the intensity anyway, but some folks seem to consider it vital to have an intensity control immediately available all the time. Dave for instance uses it a lot whenever he’s looking at intensity graded waveforms. Maybe add another menu item to the Display menu where users can chose whether the permanent intensity adjustment is active or not. 

This was the 4th of December in 2017. Quite obviously, this has not been implemented yet, but it is on Siglent's todo list and up to now, it has not been declined.

I see. It certainly depends on user preference.

When I look at the current presentation of this knob the "Intensity Adjust" label seems most prominent but in reality it is mostly a selection knob as you point out.

A suggestion for future models would be to reserve and label this knob "Select" only and then perhaps introduce an "Intensity Adjust" button which can be used in combination for quick access.
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1001 on: February 10, 2018, 10:53:04 pm »
After some weeks of use, my only wish is that a new firmware would fix the "Intensity Adjust" feature so that when you turn the knob the intensity would immediately adjust unless, of course, we are in some menu mode where it is used for selection.
I hope Siglent will put some attention to this small but important for user-friendly-UI detail.

In early firmware versions (only for the SDS2k back then) the "Intensity Adjust" knob did exactly that. Many users (me included) didn't like that, as this control is used a lot for selecting items and adjusting values in the menu system. Many of us inadvertently changed the trace intensity quite often. Especially people like me, who virtually never change the trace intensity, started to hate this feature. I certainly did not miss it, when it was gone at one point - but I never requested that. Quite the opposite.

When I noticed there are still people who expect to change the trace intensity at any time without digging into a menu, I sent the following note to Siglent:

The universal control knob is labeled “Intensity Adjust” on the front panel of the scopes, but the intensity can only be adjusted when the corresponding menu item on page 2 of the Display menu is selected. I for one like it this way, because I rarely ever adjust the intensity anyway, but some folks seem to consider it vital to have an intensity control immediately available all the time. Dave for instance uses it a lot whenever he’s looking at intensity graded waveforms. Maybe add another menu item to the Display menu where users can chose whether the permanent intensity adjustment is active or not. 

This was the 4th of December in 2017. Quite obviously, this has not been implemented yet, but it is on Siglent's todo list and up to now, it has not been declined.

I see. It certainly depends on user preference.

When I look at the current presentation of this knob the "Intensity Adjust" label seems most prominent but in reality it is mostly a selection knob as you point out.

A suggestion for future models would be to reserve and label this knob "Select" only and then perhaps introduce an "Intensity Adjust" button which can be used in combination for quick access.
Many Siglent DSO's have 2 ways to adjust intensity; from within the Display menu or/and using the Multipurpose encoder. I just checked my SDS1104X-E that has the latest FW installed and indeed intensity (at this time) can only be adjusted from within the Display menu.
I fully expect Siglent will offer dual intensity adjustment types to align the 4ch X-E UI with their other models.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1002 on: February 11, 2018, 12:39:00 am »

Well, if Siglent ever sports an extra button near the "universal control knob" - this is what the "Intensity Control" actually is called among insiders ;) - then I would strongly vote for a confirmation button (= Select), so that we don't accidentally change the current selection when pushing the encoder. Of course, we could safely push the encoder whenever we want to adjust the trace intensity instead.

I actually wished Siglent would do that - but that can only be wishful thinking for some future model of course. And then there's always a good chance they will refuse to change the function of the encoder push button "because they have always done it that way and customers are used to it and might prove unable to cope with a different UI philosophy". Oh, I wished Microsoft would have had similar concerns when they totally changed  the user interface of their office package from version 2003 to 2007...

In any case, the instant trace intensity function of that knob is long history. I cannot even remember when it vanished, it's a long time for sure, maybe even with the first version of the SDS1202X-E already. That would be almost a year ago. On the SDS2000X however, the intensity control still works the way you want it - and drives me crazy ;)  well, not really...

Offline lundmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1003 on: February 11, 2018, 01:19:56 am »

Well, if Siglent ever sports an extra button near the "universal control knob" - this is what the "Intensity Control" actually is called among insiders ;) - then I would strongly vote for a confirmation button (= Select), so that we don't accidentally change the current selection when pushing the encoder. Of course, we could safely push the encoder whenever we want to adjust the trace intensity instead.

I actually wished Siglent would do that - but that can only be wishful thinking for some future model of course. And then there's always a good chance they will refuse to change the function of the encoder push button "because they have always done it that way and customers are used to it and might prove unable to cope with a different UI philosophy". Oh, I wished Microsoft would have had similar concerns when they totally changed  the user interface of their office package from version 2003 to 2007...

In any case, the instant trace intensity function of that knob is long history. I cannot even remember when it vanished, it's a long time for sure, maybe even with the first version of the SDS1202X-E already. That would be almost a year ago. On the SDS2000X however, the intensity control still works the way you want it - and drives me crazy ;)  well, not really...

Yes, the situation is now clear to me. You are a MS Office guy and I'm a Linux LibreOffice guy - hence the different take on input controls ;)
https://lxi-tools.github.io - Open source LXI tools
https://tio.github.io - A simple serial device I/O tool

Offline dave356

• Contributor
« Reply #1004 on: February 11, 2018, 03:51:44 am »
Just posted my thoughts over on the SDS1202-E thread about the compensation issue.
Very disappointed in SIGLENT over this.

I guess they just don't care enough.
I liked their equipment enough and was thinking about getting a Sig DMM and function gen.
Think again!

« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 03:55:04 am by dave356 »

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline mr.fabe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1005 on: February 12, 2018, 08:49:25 am »
Just posted my thoughts over on the SDS1202-E thread about the compensation issue.
Very disappointed in SIGLENT over this.

I guess they just don't care enough.
I liked their equipment enough and was thinking about getting a Sig DMM and function gen.
Think again!
It seems as if Siglent's presence in these forums may be selective on particular issues such as the compensation problem.  I hope I am wrong in my thinking, however, based on their awareness of this problem and their unwillingness to address the issue head-on, they may be hoping the issue dies and goes away.  They have an excellent opportunity to resolve this in front of the eevblog community and be a customer focused company as they state in their corporate mission statement.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #1006 on: February 12, 2018, 09:51:56 am »
That, and its decoders that can't decode properly.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1007 on: February 28, 2018, 02:33:46 am »
Guys.
I was just browsing through Siglent websites and noticed a new version of EasyScopeX that came out a few weeks back. Not seen it mentioned on the forum so I bring to your attention for those that use/need it.

1.02.01.19 (Release Date 02.05.18 )
48 Mb
https://www.siglentamerica.com/download/5404/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1008 on: March 05, 2018, 07:42:16 pm »
I manged to brick my SPD3303X-E, I went into Easypower to upgrade via USB from firmware 1.01.01.02.03 to 1.01.01.02.05.  I thought I had it running but it was stuck at 7%, - I did not select 'Firmware Mode', 'Normal Mode' was selected.

Anyway, it all hung, the windows program crashed, and I ended up power cycling the PSU, now I get nothing but all the front lights.  Is there a way to get out of this or does it need to go back?

[EDIT] I just sent an email to info@siglent.com with same info as here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:52:52 pm by Gandalf_Sr »
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1009 on: March 06, 2018, 08:13:40 am »
I manged to brick my SPD3303X-E, I went into Easypower to upgrade via USB from firmware 1.01.01.02.03 to 1.01.01.02.05.  I thought I had it running but it was stuck at 7%, - I did not select 'Firmware Mode', 'Normal Mode' was selected.

Anyway, it all hung, the windows program crashed, and I ended up power cycling the PSU, now I get nothing but all the front lights.  Is there a way to get out of this or does it need to go back?

[EDIT] I just sent an email to info@siglent.com with same info as here.
Suggested recovery procedure here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-spd3303x-e/msg1444941/#msg1444941
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1010 on: March 06, 2018, 11:11:31 am »
Thanks Tautech, fixed now that I RTFM! 

For users too lazy to read the friendly manuals (like me), the solution is simply to press in the twisty-twiddly-turny knob while powering on, that brings up a special firmware update mode screen and USB works again.  The one thing to remember is that, in this recovery mode, you have to select the "Firmware Mode" radio button before using easypower to upload the .ADS file. 

Also, for Windows 10, 64 bit users, it's best to run easypower in Windows 8 compatibility mode (Right-click the desktop icon, select the compatibility tab, and check the Windows 8 compatibility check box - only needed once as it 'remembers' this setting).
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1011 on: March 10, 2018, 11:19:16 pm »
From a thread in Repair:
Hi!
I have an oscilloscope one day after purchase. Siglent SDS 1202X-E.
Worked during the day and turned off the power button at night.
In the morning the button blinks, but when I press it it goes out and the oscilloscope does not turn on. Now it does not blink and the oscilloscope does not turn on.
Under the guarantee I can not send. I went through 9 circles of customs hell to transport the oscilloscope to my country. Now I can not even think of sending him back to the seller. Especially since I ripped off the warranty seal, hoping to find the malfunction myself.
Tell me where there can be a problem. What are the first steps I should take to find this malfunction.
Contact Siglent Hamburg to resolve this issue !
http://siglenteu.com/lxwms.aspx?id=1110

PS.
It's a new scope, we DON'T repair them !
Have it replaced or the parts to fix it supplied under warranty.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 11:23:28 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline EEhopeful.

• Contributor
« Reply #1012 on: March 14, 2018, 02:49:23 am »
Today, a new review in Amazon regarding they still shipping the BA serial number, actually 2 of them in the last few days.  If Siglent is monitoring this blog, why is allowing this to happen? Amazon is not a technical store, so I do not blame them, but Siglent should give the order to recall those SN. Is this, "let's hope the unknowing hobbists buy them and we then have no responsibility" mindset any good for any company?

Offline dave356

• Contributor
« Reply #1013 on: March 14, 2018, 01:57:14 pm »
It's all about the money.

Offline frompmr

« Reply #1014 on: March 16, 2018, 08:17:38 pm »
Quote from: frompmr
Hi!
In the morning the button blinks, but when I press it it goes out and the oscilloscope does not turn on. Now it does not blink and the oscilloscope does not turn on.
Under the guarantee I can not send. I went through 9 circles of customs hell to transport the oscilloscope to my country. Now I can not even think of sending him back to the seller. Especially since I ripped off the warranty seal, hoping to find the malfunction myself.
Tell me where there can be a problem. What are the first steps I should take to find this malfunction.
Quote from: tautech
Hey. Thanks for the help.
I figured out what the problem is.
The power supply does not work in the oscilloscope.
I ripped off the seal and opened the oscilloscope.
On the terminals of the power supply connector that connects to the motherboard there are no voltages.
I began to look for a malfunction and came to the conclusion that the impulse transformer does not work. If other parts can be bought in the store, then such transformers are not sold, since each power unit has its own individual transformer.
I wrote in support of Siglent and explained to them the problem.
They said they would try to send me a power supply.
When they do this I do not know, but also do not know if they will send it to me at all.
Since they replied that they would try to send, not send out for sure.
I could take another power supply and convert it to this oscilloscope.
But in the power supply and on the motherboard there is no indication of pinout of the connector for voltages.
Therefore, I would like to ask for help. Can someone give me a pinout of the voltage in the power supply for this oscilloscope?
I asked them about it, but they did not say anything. Perhaps this is their secret.
You also asked for a link to the correspondence with the support of Siglent, but at the end of the letter they write that I have no right to disclose correspondence.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1015 on: March 16, 2018, 09:54:39 pm »
Hi!
On the terminals of the power supply connector that connects to the motherboard there are no voltages.
I began to look for a malfunction and came to the conclusion that the impulse transformer does not work. If other parts can be bought in the store, then such transformers are not sold, since each power unit has its own individual transformer.
When they do this I do not know, but also do not know if they will send it to me at all.
But in the power supply and on the motherboard there is no indication of pinout of the connector for voltages.
Therefore, I would like to ask for help. Can someone give me a pinout of the voltage in the power supply for this oscilloscope?
I asked them about it, but they did not say anything. Perhaps this is their secret.
You also asked for a link to the correspondence with the support of Siglent, but at the end of the letter they write that I have no right to disclose correspondence.

I think it is wise now that you wait Siglent and not play game with some other power supply! At this time I believe they send new PSU for you.

Also they do not tell voltages with specifications and pins perhaps because they do not want you start play this game with some unknown PSU what may in worst case damage your scope main board. After play with some unknown PSU there is not any kind of warranty.

Product have failed PSU and it have 3 year factory warranty.

You can ask how and when they will send it to you. Time table depends also where they have this spare part.
Now you have to be a little patient.

(Later if really can not get new PSU then can look other solutions)
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1016 on: March 16, 2018, 10:02:04 pm »

I guess the support staff don't know such technical details, we might have to ask R&D at the factory in Shenzhen. We could certainly try that, but I do hope you will not actually need it but receive a replacement PSU instead. It just may take some time as logistics can sometimes be a bit complicated with different spots scattered around the world (Factory in China, Siglent Europe in Germany, You in Moldova) involved, so please be patient.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1017 on: March 16, 2018, 11:58:04 pm »
Hi!
:-+
Thanks for the update.
A new PSU is the best solution.
It will probably take a couple of weeks or more for you to receive the PSU so as others have said please be patient.
As yet there is no Service manual for X-E models but in time there will be one.
Fingers crossed nothing else has been damaged.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline DazA1

• Contributor
« Reply #1018 on: March 28, 2018, 07:31:09 pm »
Just wondering if there is any update on the new firmware for the SHS handheld scopes.

Last post form Siglent America (mid January) said about a couple of months?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1019 on: March 28, 2018, 07:37:53 pm »
Just wondering if there is any update on the new firmware for the SHS handheld scopes.

Just checked the Siglent webpages and there's nothing new yet.

Steve from the US might like to find out and give an update.

Edit.
From Tech support:
About middle of May, we will release the SHS800/SHS1000 firmware.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 03:35:49 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #1020 on: March 29, 2018, 12:49:15 am »

+1  :-+

Offline DazA1

• Contributor
« Reply #1021 on: March 29, 2018, 06:20:30 pm »

Ok thanks for the update.

I hope it will fix all the issues that stop these scopes from being a really useful tool.

Offline pantelei4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1022 on: March 29, 2018, 07:22:01 pm »
From Tech support:
Three years are waiting for the promised.
Russian saying.  |O

Offline Stu5

« Reply #1023 on: May 10, 2018, 11:42:04 pm »
Hello,

I've just got a new Siglent SDS1104X-E, and as soon as I started the probe compensation I noticed a rather odd artifact. I've seen lots of other issues on the forum, but not this one:

Viewing the 1kHz calibration signal with 1X probe is fine from 10V/div to 200mV/div. When I go to 100mV/div (and the relay clicks), the bottom part of the square wave turns into a ramp (please see images for a clear understanding). The steepness of this ramp then varies with turning the vertical positions (not zoom) knob.

1Xprobe - 500mVdiv:

1Xprobe - 100mVdiv:

I noticed that the problem didn't appear when using the 10X probe setting, so I decided to go back to 1X setting and manually attenuate the signal using a pot across the calibration terminals:
- Reducing the amplitude of the square wave from 3.0V to 2.7V (checking amplitude by going to 500mV/div) causes the ramp to become less steep, and for the lowest point of the square wave/ramp to rise to 330mV (which the oscilloscope also reports from the measurement figures)
- Reducing the amplitude further makes the offset go back down, and the ramp disappear, until the square wave looks completely correct when it's amplitude is at 1.25V.
- All of the changes described above are continuous and change smoothly as I turn the pot to change the calibration signal amplitude:

1Xprobe - signal attenuated to 2.62V - 500mVdiv:

1Xprobe - signal attenuated to 2.62V - 100mVdiv:

1Xprobe - signal attenuated to 1.20V - 500mVdiv:

1Xprobe - signal attenuated to 1.20V - 100mVdiv:

The images explain it best, but here are some other points:
- It happens regardless of triggering or coupling mode
- It happens on all channels
- If you stop the acquisition at 200mV/div and zoom in to 100mV/div, the waveform does not develop the ramp problem
- If you stop the acquisition at 100mV/div and change the vertical positionin, the ramp does not change steepness. (these checks are to rule out a memory problem)
- firmware 7.6.1.20 R2

I can't think of anything else for now. Hopefully I'm not just doing something daft!

Any thoughts appreciated...

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1024 on: May 11, 2018, 01:41:59 am »
Hello,

I've just got a new Siglent SDS1104X-E, and as soon as I started the probe compensation I noticed a rather odd artifact. I've seen lots of other issues on the forum, but not this one:

I can't think of anything else for now. Hopefully I'm not just doing something daft!

Any thoughts appreciated...
Welcome to the forum Stu.

You are doing something daft but only because you're not aware of this behavior in a DSO.
Simply, you're over-driving the inputs beyond what they're capable of managing.
This comes up reasonably frequently on the forum so don't think you're the first to experience it or be embarrassed to post about it. It serves as a good refresher for those that don't know about it.
All brands are affected.

Best advice is to keep the waveform amplitude within the vertical boundaries of the display and if you need to investigate the peaks of the waveform then work within the datasheet Offset Range parameters:
https://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2018/02/SDS1000X-E_DataSheet_DS0101E-E03A-1.pdf
Vertical System P8.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf