Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 529260 times)

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1100 on: December 22, 2018, 05:48:43 am »
Hi folks,

Is it possible to improve the accuracy of the frequency counter in the SSA3021X when measuring lower frequencies?

I am measuring the frequency of a 32.768kHz oscillator using a few different instruments and was attempting to use my SA for this.  The SCPI command allows me to grab the frequency from the first marker when it is in "Frequency Counter" mode.  And it returns a fairly high-precision value which made me hopeful that I would get accuracy commensurate with that precision.

Here is an example of the values being returned over a 10 second range (using ":CALC:MARK1:FCO:X?"):

The frequency counter in the SDG2212X tells me that it is running at 32768.011Hz with a SDev of 0.100ppm.  Both instruments are being clocked by the same 10MHz reference.

Alas, that precision seems to be unwarranted give th SA's lack of accuracy at lower frequencies.

Is there any way to get more accurate and precise frequency measurement from the SA at lower frequencies?  1Hz resolution is great at 1GHz.  But it is rather poor at 10kHz.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1101 on: December 22, 2018, 06:15:34 am »
While I cannot say with certainty, the frequency counter on there scopes is based upon a triggering level that you set, There is nothing similar on your device? I'm imagining its counting off the crest of a wave rather than the slope.

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1102 on: December 22, 2018, 06:33:06 am »
While I cannot say with certainty, the frequency counter on there scopes is based upon a triggering level that you set, There is nothing similar on your device? I'm imagining its counting off the crest of a wave rather than the slope.
The SSA3021X is a spectrum analyzer, not an oscilloscope.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1103 on: December 22, 2018, 07:56:27 am »
Yes, to clarify, the counter is either hardware, in which case its a comparitor set at some level, or in software and is essentially a cursor value, in which case its limited to how accurately the spectrum analyser can resolve it.

If its a hardware counter, there should be a way for you to set the amplitude you want it to trigger at, if its software I do not know if it can recover the frequency to such a high accuracy to measure ppm.

Offline jazper

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1104 on: December 22, 2018, 08:35:42 am »
Siglent:

Could you please fix your firmware for the SDS1x00 series with respect to the WiFi.

The changes that would be nice are:

Ability to set SSIDs with spaces in them
Passwords hidden after entry
Ability to have special characters in both passwords and SSIDs.

Thankyou.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1105 on: December 23, 2018, 08:03:21 am »
Siglent thanks you all for your support and feedback over the past year and wishes you well for the festive season and the year ahead.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
    • If you like my hacks, send me a donation
« Reply #1106 on: December 29, 2018, 11:41:01 am »
@tautech, any idea what are the SDS1x04X-E differences between HW1.3 and HW1.4
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1107 on: December 29, 2018, 11:52:57 am »
@tautech, any idea what are the SDS1x04X-E differences between HW1.3 and HW1.4
Sorry no, not yet.
I’d have to look at what versions I have when I get home.....with any luck I might have some of each.
Be another few weeks before I need some more.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1108 on: December 29, 2018, 01:41:44 pm »
So far there is atleast a new FPGA bitstream version in the HW1.4 scope, currently finding out if that applies to any scope with the 8. software, or just the new hardware version. as another poster had version 8 with HW1.3

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1109 on: December 29, 2018, 05:53:50 pm »
Can the histogram function on SDM3045X be used to record the transient behavior (DC settling) of a signal over a moderate period of time (say, ten to sixty seconds)?

If yes, how is this data displayed and can a screenshot be exported out of the meter for use in a document?

If yes, what are the minimum and maximum time window settings for such a histogram?

Thanks.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1110 on: December 29, 2018, 11:20:05 pm »
Can the histogram function on SDM3045X be used to record the transient behavior (DC settling) of a signal over a moderate period of time (say, ten to sixty seconds)?

If yes, how is this data displayed and can a screenshot be exported out of the meter for use in a document?

If yes, what are the minimum and maximum time window settings for such a histogram?

Thanks.
This thread and post should provide all the answers you seek:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-new-bench-dmm-sdm3055/msg1440594/#msg1440594
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1111 on: December 29, 2018, 11:40:00 pm »
So far there is atleast a new FPGA bitstream version in the HW1.4 scope, currently finding out if that applies to any scope with the 8. software, or just the new hardware version. as another poster had version 8 with HW1.3

it can't be any 8., i have brand new 8., but hw 1.3
I don't want to be human! I want to see gamma rays, I want to hear X-rays, and I want to smell dark matter ...
I want to reach out with something other than these prehensile paws and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1112 on: December 30, 2018, 12:12:34 am »
Care to open your top_sds1000b_fpga.bin in a text editor, and see what your bitstream creation date is, the HW4 one is 7z020clg484 2018/07/26

The following users thanked this post: jazper

Offline tinhead

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1113 on: December 30, 2018, 04:28:44 pm »
Care to open your top_sds1000b_fpga.bin in a text editor, and see what your bitstream creation date is, the HW4 one is 7z020clg484 2018/07/26

sure, my SDS displays HW1.3, but FPGA bitstream is from 2018/07/26 and binary equal to the one in 6.1.26 firmware, that's why i'm wondering what the real difference can be.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1114 on: December 30, 2018, 05:12:42 pm »
The difference is really in the HW. If it was in the FW, it would show a different FW release.

Offline t1d

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1115 on: January 06, 2019, 12:21:12 am »
I have a new SDS1104X-E. The power button blinks, when the unit is off. I am not so much concerned that the unit draws power, when off, if power is needed to maintain settings, or for some other logical reason. However, the light does not need to blink, when the unit is in this state.

A blinking light is a warning, in my/any lab. So, it is a violation of safety protocol and a constant source of concern, which requires verification, over and over.

I have seen this noted in this thread, but I did not find a solution posted. That doesn't mean that the answer is not available, it just means I did not catch it. Further, I have done my due diligence to search the manual, internet, and forum.

If you know the solution, or the location of it, please advise. Thank you for your help.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:22:40 am by t1d »

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #1116 on: January 06, 2019, 12:37:38 pm »
A blinking light is a warning, in my/any lab. So, it is a violation of safety protocol and a constant source of concern, which requires verification, over and over.
As a side note, almost all laptops I've seen use blinking light (on power LED) to indicate being in sleep/hibernate state. (Then again, some also use blinking light on battery/charge LED for warning, e.g. broken battery.)
I also have some devices that indicate being on by blinking (or more like flashing), but those are low-power battery-powered, so constant LED would use too much energy.
I've also seen devices that use blinking to indicate they are waiting for something ("ready to go/do").
Some routers/switches/modems use blinking light to indicate communication activity, though it is more common to flash the LED based on the activity, so those variants have more rapid and unsteady rate.
I have several battery chargers that indicate the charging status by blinking, some with changing pattern as the charging goes on. Once fully charged, the LED(s) are either continuously on or turned off. One charger indicated failure by continuous red LED (definitely a design flaw, considering red-green blindness).

So the blinking is not universally a warning. But I guess in a lab where warnings are to be taken seriously, there could be different standards to follow. I have only been in labs where the dangers were small enough that blinking wasn't a rule, but in some labs (and whatnot to call them) there was obligatory tour on the emergency shutdown knobs and exits.

The blinking power button when in standby (or "off-but-not-really-off") applies also to at least SDS2000X. Doesn't bother me, I almost always turn the power completely off also with an extension cord that has a switch (or simply unplug the scope). Afaik, at least that 2000X does not need power (at all) to keep the settings.

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1117 on: January 07, 2019, 01:44:07 pm »
Siglent,

Please update the SDS programming manual.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-e/msg2098552/#msg2098552

Missing decoder SCPI commands.

Offline Tjuurko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1118 on: February 11, 2019, 08:30:39 am »
A few questions about new SDM3065X-SC
SW Version ID:  3.01.01.06R2

1. What's new in this firmware?

2. How to get rid of interference when measuring large resistances (2/4 wire)?
Similar was observed on the SDM3055.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:33:00 am by Tjuurko »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1119 on: February 11, 2019, 08:38:56 am »
A few questions about new SDM3065X-SC
SW Version ID:  3.01.01.06R2

1. What's new in this firmware?
Dunno, just a few days ago sent this same question to the factory as this 6R2 FW is not yet available to download.
Sometimes Siglent does this, install a new FW at the factory soon to be followed with an official release that's sometimes even a later version.

Coax leads would be my first thought.
My 4 wire Kelvin clips are a shielded type.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #1120 on: February 11, 2019, 11:55:47 pm »
Coax leads would be my first thought.
My 4 wire Kelvin clips are a shielded type.

Tautech, I'm interesting in seeing your clips?  My 3055s with my non-shielded clips pick up a wave of my hand from 10 feet away when measuring high resistance.  These have the banana plugs on the end like the first picture.  I purchased a set previously with shielded cables and BNCs for my DE-5000, but that has a guard terminal.       

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1121 on: February 12, 2019, 12:18:18 am »
Tautech, I'm interesting in seeing your clips? 
I got mine from Pintek when I got some other stuff from them but they weren't cheap.  :o
RP-93:
http://www.pintek.com.tw/files/pintek/RP-91-92-93-DM-frond.pdf

The short split leads that connect to the Kelvin clips are quite stiff when they should be a nice supple silicone lead pair IMHO. I questioned their use of PCV leads to the clips and they took this on-board for future product improvements.
Still, I'm not sure if Pintek are really the OEM for these Kelvin 4w leads or not.

If your time to make some is not precious grab the bits needed from Franky's store:
https://www.ebay.com/str/99centhobbies
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: BillB

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1122 on: February 14, 2019, 06:04:11 am »
I just installed the latest 3.01.01.06R2 FW for the SDM3065X, I cannot see any obvious differences yet, I guess we will find out when a changeling is published.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1123 on: February 18, 2019, 01:41:50 pm »
Is it possible to have on SDS 1202X-E display measured signal(s) / net only on full screen, without bottom menu, network icon on right bottom corner and channel(s) / trigger info on right side?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:47:45 pm by josip »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1124 on: February 18, 2019, 02:55:45 pm »
Is it possible to have on SDS 1202X-E display measured signal(s) / net only on full screen, without bottom menu, network icon on right bottom corner and channel(s) / trigger info on right side?
No.
Only main menu can be hidden with the Menu button near the Power button.
If you need more info on the display use Zoom at a slow main timebase then use a faster timebase in Zoom mode and H Position to walk through the waveform info.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf