Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 529290 times)

Offline josip

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1125 on: February 20, 2019, 01:48:09 pm »
No.
Only main menu can be hidden with the Menu button near the Power button.
If you need more info on the display use Zoom at a slow main timebase then use a faster timebase in Zoom mode and H Position to walk through the waveform info.

I don't see any point in hidden menu, because signal viewing area will not resize. Menu will be replaced with black background.

Let say that there is some menu on LED TV that steal area from picture. When setup is done, menu disappear, and user can enjoy in full size movie. During changing audio volume, level is displayed on LED TV, and when it is done, disappear again.

I don't see any reason why option that enable similar behavior like LED TV for example, not exist on scope. When I complete all channels setup, I don't need to see anything on scope except signals waveform on full screen. Coding on PC, and manually triggering from PC. Just turning my head to scope to see what changed on waveform.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1126 on: February 20, 2019, 04:01:28 pm »
No.
Only main menu can be hidden with the Menu button near the Power button.
If you need more info on the display use Zoom at a slow main timebase then use a faster timebase in Zoom mode and H Position to walk through the waveform info.

I don't see any point in hidden menu, because signal viewing area will not resize. Menu will be replaced with black background.
In Decode mode, the decoded line fills the space where the menus were when they are OFF.

In the SDS1004X-E main thread we discussed other uses for the menu space like using it for more measurements.
Maybe we can discuss it more there:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bugi

• Regular Contributor
  • Hobbyist using the ultra slow and unsure method
« Reply #1127 on: February 20, 2019, 09:26:36 pm »
I don't see any reason why option that enable similar behavior like LED TV for example, not exist on scope. When I complete all channels setup, I don't need to see anything on scope except signals waveform on full screen. Coding on PC, and manually triggering from PC. Just turning my head to scope to see what changed on waveform.
Just a quick note that it would need to indeed be an option, as there are cases where the menu/settings staying visible is actually important. Scopes are often doing/showing a little bit more complex stuff than a TV channel which you forget as soon as your brains drop to entertainment mode, and it can be important to see more than just the waveform (or its mere change), so comparing to TV isn't quite fitting, although it is otherwise a clear example case. And then there is sometimes the need show the current settings in a screenshot.

Offline scottLobster

« Reply #1128 on: February 23, 2019, 07:51:06 am »
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with the SPI triggering/decoding on my SDS1202X-E.  First time using it, wondering if I need to file a warranty claim or if I'm just missing something:

I rigged up an Arduino to send a test SPI byte every half second, and can confirm that MOSI/MISO/CLK/CS signals are there via edge triggering.  However  upon switching to SPI triggering the scope doesn't trigger regardless of any configuration I've been able to come up with in the last four hours.  |O Google brought me to you guys! :)

Things I've tried so far: 
  • I followed the "SPI Triggering and Serial Decode" section of the manual here (linked to from the SDS1202X-E product page): https://mediacdn.eu/mage/media/downloads/SDS1104X-E_User_Manual_UM0101E-E02B.pdf  Still no triggering.
  • Given that I'm currently measuring MOSI and CLK (although I've tried other configurations), I set CS to CLK Timeout and put it as high as it would go.  No effect.
  • I spelled out the exact byte I was transmitting when setting MOSI as the trigger, no effect.
  • I set the expected byte to all zeros, all ones, and all Xs, same results.
  • Confirmed that the SPI settings on the Arduino (data length, the precise byte, etc) are matched to the scope, aside from frequency.
  • Updated my firmware to 5.1.3.13 (The latest I could find)
  • Serial Number (if it matters): SDS1EBAQ1R4465

So is there anything obvious I missed in the above?  Could the scope be expecting a specific clock frequency for SPI?  Is there a special required combination of inputs (given that his is a 4-part signal on a 2-channel scope)? Or can someone give me a confirmed list of steps that work so I can confirm if SPI triggering is broken or not?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:53:42 am by scottLobster »

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1129 on: February 23, 2019, 08:31:52 am »
@scottLobster, I cannot know your exact settings, but here is what could go wrong when even [All Same X] refuses to trigger:

- wrong data length
- wrong signal settings

Be aware that serial triggers and decoders are completely separate modules and have their individual settings (data length, bit order, channel assignments, threshold levels), which should be the same for both.

In order to avoid setting up everything twice, there is the [Copy Setting] menu in the decoder, which allows to set up the trigger by using [Copy To Trig]. Of course this assumes that the decoder is already set up properly, especially the signals and their respective threshold levels.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:05:59 am by Performa01 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1130 on: February 23, 2019, 08:57:48 am »
I followed the "SPI Triggering and Serial Decode" section of the manual here (linked to from the SDS1202X-E product page): https://mediacdn.eu/mage/media/downloads/SDS1104X-E_User_Manual_UM0101E-E02B.pdf  Still no triggering.
Latest manual is here:
https://www.siglentamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDS1000X-E_UserManul_UM0101E-E03A-1.pdf

Updated my firmware to 5.1.3.13 (The latest I could find)
Latest version is 1.3.23 and you can find it here:
https://www.siglentamerica.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/digital-oscilloscopes/#sds1000x-e-series

A note for the future, Siglent websites have the most up to date support for manuals and software, I strongly recommend you get your needs from them as they are most up to date.

For further assistance with your decode issues, use the Print button to grab screenshots onto a USB stick and upload them into a post using the Attachments link at the foot of the posting page.

Now some tips, 500ms bytes will have you into Roll mode, much slower than typical data streams so speed things up a little so you can use 50ms/div or faster. You can set custom Baud rates but maybe use one of the standard ones in the Decode menus. If just using an Edge trigger, multiple edges within a packet will cause the scope to retrigger so set the Holdoff to a little longer than the packet for stable triggering.....you need stable triggering first to get any meaningful result.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #1131 on: February 23, 2019, 09:47:32 am »
Watch my review video for the SDS1104X-E (I’m pretty sure I showed serial decoding).

#320 Siglent SDS 1104X-E 4 Channel Scope Review
https://youtu.be/kuiDj1iwOwk

I have other Siglent scope reviews as well, so you may want to refer to those also if this one isnt clear enough.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline scottLobster

« Reply #1132 on: February 23, 2019, 07:01:47 pm »
Well, it's working now.  Thanks for the responses guys!

I'm honestly not sure exactly what I did.  I updated the firmware to 1.3.23, but even after that and confirming settings for the 12th time it still didn't trigger on the SPI signal.  To see if this was a more systemic issue with serial triggering I switched over to UART (and correspondingly switched the Arduino to produce a UART signal) and was able to get a semi-stable image of the signal with UART triggering, gave up on trying to stabilize it perfectly (having confirmed that the serial trigger was at least working somewhat), and switched back to SPI.  And now it's working fine. 

Best theory I can come up with is the UART triggering caused something in the serial triggering circuitry to reinitialize, perhaps combined with the firmware upgrade.  But that's a wild guess.

Regardless, appreciate the help!

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1133 on: February 23, 2019, 08:07:43 pm »
The settings for UART and SPI are pretty well isolated on these devices (most of the parameters are seperatly stored) And that setting file is one of the few things that persist across power cycles, Did you set the correct thresholds for your SPI signals?

Offline mroek

• Contributor
« Reply #1134 on: February 23, 2019, 11:56:10 pm »
I've just started playing with my new SDS1104X-E (came with the latest firmware installed), and I have a couple of minor bug reports, so I figured this thread might be the place. The first one isn't really a bug, it is just a minor spelling mistake. If you go to save/recall and recall the factory setup, the on-screen pop-up notification (after the operation is finished) uses the word "Defaut" instead of "Default" (I don't remember the full sentence, and I don't want to default my scope at the moment to check). I suggest Siglent engineers just do a search in their language files for this word, in case it's been copy/pasted also to other places.

The other one is a very minor UI bug. If you enable for example channel 1 and 2, and then press the button for channel 2 twice (to turn that channel off), then the oscilloscope automatically lights up the button for channel 1 (as it should), but the soft menu at the bottom of the screen still pertains to channel 2, which has just been turned off. To get the correct menu for channel 1, you need to press the button for channel 1 again.

It would be natural if the soft menu actually followed the channel button that is lit (unless of course some other menu is used). Not really a problem, just slightly illogical.

I also have a feature request, and that is to have two math channels, where the second math channel can be used for less demading operations (not FFT, obviously). The main reason for this wish is to be able to use all four channels to act as two "poor man's differential probes". A second math channel would allow this, and would be very nice to have, even if this method has obvious limitations if high accuracy is needed.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1136 on: March 27, 2019, 08:42:38 am »
When will the updates for  SDG6000X be available?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1137 on: March 28, 2019, 05:01:39 am »
FYI, latest units come with 6.0.01.29R10, available on Siglent websites.

I'll ask the factory when a newer version is expected.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1138 on: March 28, 2019, 09:58:43 am »

Yep, that's the version mine came with.. It has few bugs (TurboTom documented them well, i had few new glitches myself)..
Nice, capable hardware, once debugged will be great siggen. In comparison with Rigol, I miss AWG waveform preview when selecting, and sequence mode (to be able to stitch a sequence of different waveforms).

Anyways, i appreciate your help.
Thanks !

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #1139 on: March 28, 2019, 10:04:54 am »
And may as well ask, any time frames on when the 1000x-e may see an update?

Offline colorado.rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1140 on: March 28, 2019, 12:42:40 pm »
Firmware upgrades for SDS2000X and SDS2000X-E models available from the support web pages:

https://www.siglentamerica.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj.aspx?id=15
Holy shit! They actually made digital channels available via SCPI on the 2000X.  I've been asking for this for years.  Always told it's not possible.

Way to go, Siglent!   :clap:

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1141 on: March 28, 2019, 08:41:53 pm »
Firmware upgrades for SDS2000X and SDS2000X-E models available from the support web pages:

https://www.siglentamerica.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/
https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/firmware-software/
http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj.aspx?id=15
Holy shit! They actually made digital channels available via SCPI on the 2000X.  I've been asking for this for years.  Always told it's not possible.

Way to go, Siglent!   :clap:
Yes I did a double take on that too.  :o
I well remember you asking for it.

No reply from the factory as yet WRT other FW release dates.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1142 on: March 29, 2019, 06:12:50 am »

Yep, that's the version mine came with.. It has few bugs (TurboTom documented them well, i had few new glitches myself)..
Nice, capable hardware, once debugged will be great siggen. In comparison with Rigol, I miss AWG waveform preview when selecting, and sequence mode (to be able to stitch a sequence of different waveforms).

Anyways, i appreciate your help.
Thanks !
Some good news:
1. SDG6000X firmware is ~4 weeks away.
2. IQ option will be enabled for 30 trial uses.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1143 on: March 29, 2019, 12:04:25 pm »
... option will be enabled for 30 trial uses.

Isn't that a novelty for Siglent?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1144 on: March 29, 2019, 07:17:01 pm »
... option will be enabled for 30 trial uses.

Isn't that a novelty for Siglent?
For the SDG6000X yes, in that for the IQ option no free trial use period was previously available.

Strangely enough I asked if IQ trial usages were available a couple of weeks back and someone in Siglent must have thought it was a good idea to add it into the next firmware or they were working on adding it already.

This addition of free trial usages for SDG6kX now matches all other existing product lines that have either 30 trial usages or a timed hour usage count down for their paid options.

It's not the first time we've seen Siglent add an free option usage period into existing equipment, for SDS2000 and later 2kX versions when Power Analysis option was released it came with a free trial usage period.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Plasmateur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1145 on: April 08, 2019, 04:50:21 am »
Please, please, please make the following features available for the following products.

SDG2000X
SDG6000X

1.) -----
Both channels can burst off a software trigger, instead of just one channel or the other.
It would be exactly as if the AUX port had received a trigger signal. (Is this really that hard to implement?)

It would be even better if a software trigger could burst both channels and the AUX port sends it's square pulse as well.

------------------------------------------------------

2.) -----
Burst and Sweep enabled at the same time. This really needs to be a thing.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1146 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:59 am »
Please, please, please make the following features available for the following products.

SDG2000X
SDG6000X

2.) -----
Burst and Sweep enabled at the same time. This really needs to be a thing.

1.Burst and Sweep enabled at the same time. That would be awesome.
2. And again, Sequence mode, like Rigol and Keysight have. 

Offline janekivi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1147 on: April 09, 2019, 07:22:34 pm »
Always have been using siglent.com as an source of "educationally interesting" firmware files,
but now it is somehow... expired? Is this end of Siglent?

Offline BillB

• Supporter
« Reply #1148 on: April 09, 2019, 07:26:55 pm »
Always have been using siglent.com as an source of "educationally interesting" firmware files,

Yikes!  Maybe they forgot to pay their hosting bill?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1149 on: April 09, 2019, 07:28:37 pm »
:-DD
Yeah I noticed their servers were down.

Wee hours in the morning there ATM so hopefully websites will be up in the next few hours.
You can still get your "educationally interesting" files here: https://www.siglenteu.com/service-and-support/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf