Author Topic: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog  (Read 529283 times)

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent Technical Support join in EEVblog
« Reply #1225 on: November 01, 2019, 02:22:52 pm »
I looked thru the calibration chapter of the sdg2000x service manual and found something a little confusing.
There are references to Python scripts "prepared previously", as in
 "Double click and run the script FeedbackAdjust.py prepared previously."

Are these scripts described somewhere, or downloadable or are you supposed to design them on your own?
I found a link to a package of provided calibration scripts in the service manual for the sdg5000 awg,

http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-gjjrj.aspx?id=4705&tid=16&T=2

but that link leads nowhere, even after correcting the misspelled word "prodcut"
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 02:25:02 pm by n3mmr »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1226 on: November 01, 2019, 02:33:26 pm »
Waybackmachine has the site archived: https://web.archive.org/web/20171015034532/http://www.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-gjjrj.aspx?id=4705&tid=16&T=2

Unfortunately the download link aren't. Fortunately I did find the page that has them: http://old.siglentamerica.com/prodcut-gjjrj.aspx?id=4705&tid=16&T=2

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, n3mmr

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1227 on: November 01, 2019, 04:21:12 pm »
Now I'd like to be assured that these python scripts, dated late 2017, are actually still appropriate to use.

Tautec? Performa01?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1228 on: November 01, 2019, 05:43:01 pm »
Sorry, I'm not up to date with this, but Tautech should be able to help.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1229 on: November 01, 2019, 06:58:26 pm »
Now I'd like to be assured that these python scripts, dated late 2017, are actually still appropriate to use.

Tautec? Performa01?
Many Cal scripts have changed AFAIK so to have a better production processes.

Best you contact Siglent Hamburg to get the latest ones:
info-eu@siglent.com

If they aren't holding them in Hamburg it's already the weekend at the factory so it might be a few days until they get back to you.

BTW, make it clear exactly what you need the Cal script for and what you're trying to adjust.
All communications can give Siglent valuable feedback on their products and hints of what they can do better.
Be clear on what you need/want and give good examples why.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1230 on: November 03, 2019, 07:41:21 am »

Tautec? Performa01?

info-eu@siglent.com

If they aren't holding them in Hamburg it's already the weekend at the factory so it might be a few days until they get back to you.

BTW, make it clear exactly what you need the Cal script for and what you're trying to adjust.
All communications can give Siglent valuable feedback on their products and hints of what they can do better.

There is no pressing need, I just discovered a confusing aspect of a document that Siglent actually invites you to download.
Are these scripts only available subject to some condition or are they supposed to be a tool for anyone wishing to calibrate their 2000x series awg-s?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: November 03, 2019, 07:57:41 am »

Tautec? Performa01?

info-eu@siglent.com

There is no pressing need, I just discovered a confusing aspect of a document that Siglent actually invites you to download.
Please share.
Are these scripts only available subject to some condition or are they supposed to be a tool for anyone wishing to calibrate their 2000x series awg-s?
Generally for Cal labs with the correct traceable calibrated gear for an semi-automated calibration.
A program on a PC runs the script which in turn controls the instrument and the calibration equipment.

For SDG2000X models there's a guide of all the steps starting on P44 Chapter 3 Calibration
http://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2017/10/SDG2000X_ServiceManual_SM0202X-E01A.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1232 on: November 03, 2019, 11:35:20 am »
I'll rephrase:
I have no pressing need for these scripts right now: I'm only asking because finding a calibration chapter in the service manual for the 2000x, a chapter that mention various scripts to use in calibrating the generator, and then finding no information on how to create or get these scripts, THAT was really confusing.
So I have already shared what I found confusing.

Offline fabrizio_fabrice

• Supporter
« Reply #1233 on: November 03, 2019, 02:37:27 pm »
Different subject, a question for Siglent or a knowledgable rep:

Does the SDS1202X-E have a 'vertical channel' trigger mode?   I miss that!   If it does not have it now, please add it in a future update.

There are several instances where I was confused by finding different terminology in the User Manual vs. what's displayed by the scope (updated to latest firmware.)
  • No mention of the front panel calibrator output.  Calling it 'Probe Comp' means I didn't find it. (Would also like to know its nominal output amplitude.)
  • User manual refers to the 'Eres' feature as 'High Resolution'.  Makes sense... after you know what it is.
  • The bits added feature is not mentioned at all.  A few words explaining how the setting interacts with other features would be nice.
That's all I've noticed so far, not completely through it yet.   But it really needs a 'vertical mode' trigger choice!

Fabrice

Experience is what you get just after you need it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 03:42:52 pm by fabrizio_fabrice »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1234 on: November 03, 2019, 03:57:36 pm »
Different subject, a question for Siglent or a knowledgable rep:

Does the SDS1202X-E have a 'vertical channel' trigger mode?   I miss that!   If it does not have it now, please add it in a future update.

There are several instances where I was confused by finding different terminology in the User Manual vs. what's displayed by the scope (updated to latest firmware.)
  • No mention of the front panel calibrator output.  Calling it 'Probe Comp' means I didn't find it. (Would also like to know its nominal output amplitude.)
  • User manual refers to the 'Eres' feature as 'High Resolution'.  Makes sense... after you know what it is.
  • The bits added feature is not mentioned at all.  A few words explaining how the setting interacts with other features would be nice.
That's all I've noticed so far, not completely through it yet.   But it really needs a 'vertical mode' trigger choice!

Fabrice

Could you please explain what you mean by  'vertical channel' trigger mode in this context ??

Offline fabrizio_fabrice

• Supporter
« Reply #1235 on: November 04, 2019, 12:40:57 am »
Easiest to explain by contrasting behaviors of scopes with or without 'vertical mode' triggering.

With:  The scope has two analog input channels, both initially active.  Set up trigger parameters (slope, coupling, etc.) on whichever.  Enable Vertical channel trigger mode.  If either channel is stopped, or probe removed, triggering automatically switches to the input channel still running, with the same trigger parameters (I think).

Withouth (Siglent).   With 2 operating channels, set up trigger on either one.   Without vertical mode, if the channel selected as trigger input is stopped, disconnected, etc., the operating channel continues looking for trigger on the non-operational channel, and fails.   To re-establish trigger on the still-operating channel, one 'rows the UI' to selected that channel for the trigger input.

On the Sigalent, some operational modes (can't recite which, off the top), apparently default to trigger from channel 1 even though only channel 2 is running.

You could row the UI a different way, to hide one channel rather than turn it off, and the scope would continue to display the other channel as before.  But if the non-operational channel probe is removed to, say, select a different circuit node, the operating channel likely ceases to trigger.

Have you ever used a scope with 'vertical channel' trigger mode?

-Fabrice

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1236 on: November 04, 2019, 01:26:53 am »

Has anyone. :)  25.3bn pages says: No results found for "vertical channel trigger mode".

"'vertical mode' triggering" is better, but sounds just like ALT triggering.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/can-your-dso-do-this/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 01:38:40 am by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

The following users thanked this post: fabrizio_fabrice

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: November 04, 2019, 01:33:21 am »
Yes in nearly all cases you must assign the trigger to a particular channel except when the trigger source is AC line or EXT. With the latest SDS1202X-E FW (and other models) the trigger assigned channel can be hidden so to only have the trigger referenced channel of interest shown.

Assigning triggers really couldn't be easier, a press of Trigger Setup and select the Source.

Then of course there is Auto setup for those that have trouble understanding and driving a DSO.
Me, well I want to be master of the instrument and not let it try to be my master and think it knows best.  :--

So I might select and set Ch1 to some clock, hide it and use Ch2 for investigation of any clock related signals.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline fabrizio_fabrice

• Supporter
« Reply #1238 on: November 05, 2019, 01:42:09 am »
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:38:40 am by StillTrying »
Yes, like that and my Tek 2246-1Y.  Suspect many others, for nearly forever.  Not too many here familiar with analog scopes, huh?   :-/O

But are you saying that the Siglent has a ALT trigger mode?
-Fabrice
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 01:45:01 am by fabrizio_fabrice »

Offline fabrizio_fabrice

• Supporter
« Reply #1239 on: November 05, 2019, 02:10:55 am »
Yes in nearly all cases you must assign the trigger to a particular channel except when the trigger source is AC line or EXT. With the latest SDS1202X-E FW (and other models) the trigger assigned channel can be hidden so to only have the trigger referenced channel of interest shown.

Assigning triggers really couldn't be easier, a press of Trigger Setup and select the Source.
Understood, but why should that even be necessary?  To force the user to do it that way?

There are drawbacks to hiding a channel.  Like, losing trigger when you remove the hidden channel's probe, to select another test point, for one.

But, you said "in nearly all cases".  What's the exception?

I just don't get it.   Why would a scope with only two inputs force the user to go button-pushing rather than offer the option to automatically switch the trigger to the other channel when the first is turned off?   After all, you can still do it your way.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:18:02 am by fabrizio_fabrice »

Offline fabrizio_fabrice

• Supporter
« Reply #1240 on: November 05, 2019, 02:41:57 pm »
Posted by: StillTrying
« on: Yesterday at 01:26:53 am » Insert Quote
Quote from: fabrizio_fabrice on Yesterday at 12:40:57 am

Has anyone. :)  25.3bn pages says: No results found for "vertical channel trigger mode".

Yes, like that and my Tek 2246-1Y.  Suspect many others, for nearly forever.  Not too many here familiar with analog scopes, huh?   :-/O

I never gave second thought to the exact behavior of the Tek vertical mode trigger, because "it just worked".  This is the operator manual definition:
866970-0

Multiple purposes, but it selects only displayed inputs, in the order specified.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 05:11:38 pm by fabrizio_fabrice »

Offline StillTrying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1241 on: November 05, 2019, 05:02:39 pm »

The CML+ does, it's a much simpler & basic scope than the Xs and X-Es.

ALT gives each channel it's own trigger level, x-timebase and sample rate, but if there's no trigger on a channel it sticks on that one channel waiting for the ~0.8sec AUTO timeout. Turning off a channel that's used for triggering makes no difference to the triggering, - the turned off channel can still be used as the trigger.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 10:19:15 pm by StillTrying »
.  That took much longer than I thought it would.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1242 on: November 05, 2019, 07:27:32 pm »

The CML+ does, it's a much simpler & basic scope than the Xs and X-Es.
X-E has ALT too but it's for both rising and falling edges on the nominated channel which makes it useful for eye diagrams.

ALT gives each channel it's own trigger level, x-timebase and sample rate, but if there's no trigger on a channel it sticks on that one channel waiting for the ~0.8sec AUTO timeout. Turning off the channel that's used for triggering makes no difference to the triggering, - the turned off channel can still be used as the trigger.
In X-E's, if the trigger nominated channel is turned OFF triggering is lost but the channel can be left ON and hidden.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline fabrizio_fabrice

• Supporter
« Reply #1243 on: November 07, 2019, 03:19:41 am »
Then of course there is Auto setup... .
Thanks for the suggestion.  New to this scope, I hadn't tried it.  So I did, but it seemed to default to Ch1, despite it being OFF and Ch2 ON. 
...for those that have trouble understanding and driving a DSO.
Regardless, my request stands: a trigger source option that will switch from an OFF channel to an ON channel, like the Teks.

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1244 on: November 12, 2019, 07:59:28 pm »
I've got a SDM3045X that works fine but does not want to take new firmware.  I'm currently at 2.01.01.07 and it will not take either 5.01.01.03 or 5.01.01.05R3.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1245 on: November 12, 2019, 08:43:00 pm »
I've got a SDM3045X that works fine but does not want to take new firmware.  I'm currently at 2.01.01.07 and it will not take either 5.01.01.03 or 5.01.01.05R3.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.
V2 ?  :-//
My records don't show any V2 FW !

Have you followed the update instructions exactly ? (attached)

Otherwise PM me for another solution.  :)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1246 on: November 13, 2019, 03:11:07 am »
I can navigate to the ADS file and tell it to upgrade, then it rapidly says failed...

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: November 14, 2019, 03:47:59 am »
I can navigate to the ADS file and tell it to upgrade, then it rapidly says failed...
Check PM for proposed factory solution.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline cvanc

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1248 on: November 14, 2019, 08:15:20 pm »
Tautech fixed me right up - thank you!

Offline n3mmr

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1249 on: November 17, 2019, 08:53:13 am »

Tautec? Performa01?

info-eu@siglent.com

I wrote to info-eu@siglent.com about two weeks ago.
And they haven't replied yet.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf