Author Topic: CFW for KSGER/Quicko STM32 Soldering Stations  (Read 674969 times)

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
Re: CFW for STM32 OLED Digital Soldering Station with T12 Handle
« Reply #350 on: December 04, 2020, 02:22:18 pm »
Some updates about the firmware...
I read in a forum that malloc() might eat up to 40bytes for each call!
So That would explain a lot. If for every widget you sum 40 bytes... and only settings screen had 47 widgets!

Edit: Absolutely wrong. Malloc allocates multiple of 8bytes,+8bytes for itself.
Anyway, for a total of ~80 widgets, in the end it makes a difference.
So I had to change the behavior, now I declare the variable for each widget.
It's getting a bit painful to change all the program, again, a single mistake and you go back into the Hard Fault land.
But it seems the RAM is doing well! :-+

Edit: Added almost everything, fingers crossed!...
At least now I have full control of memory usage. Added around 20 widgets more and still some memory left!

« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 05:43:34 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline cosmin1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #351 on: December 04, 2020, 06:33:16 pm »
for example, this display uses 910K...
I checked.
The brightest OLED uses 510k. Second OLED has also 510k. I switched between the OLEDs. That one board maintains the weak brightness with both displays. The FW are not exactly the same. When i switched the OLEDs, on board with F103 the whole image was moved to the left and a vertical line appeared on right of the screen.
So the firmware surely handles the brightness in different ways.

LE: maximum brightness i can get is at about 100k. Still less brighter as the old board, but acceptable.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 10:36:00 am by cosmin1 »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #352 on: December 05, 2020, 01:51:30 pm »
Be careful if you flash that board, if the brightness is set at max by software, I don't know what could happen to the display.
A resistor almost 10 times smaller than normal ...That doesn't look right.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #353 on: December 05, 2020, 01:59:05 pm »
You can also order a new display on aliexpress. For like... $3 or something. To have a spare, in case you break it.

Offline cosmin1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #354 on: December 05, 2020, 05:04:21 pm »
The board with that small OLED resistor (my friend's board) will remain as it is. It's fully functional with F103.
My board with cooked F101 has the OLED display with 510k resistor and will be reflashed as soon as i will have a proper firmware for it. Or do you think i have any chance to read the firmware from these boards?
I got the ST-link clone, installed the utility but i can't make it work or i got the wrong utility or defective St-link...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 07:03:27 am by cosmin1 »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #355 on: December 06, 2020, 12:18:33 pm »
How are you connecting it and what's the error?
Remember that if only SWDIO and SWCLK are used, you must go into the programmer settings and change reset method from hardware reset to software reset.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #356 on: December 06, 2020, 03:47:56 pm »
Argg. So tired. There were a lot more bugs hidden.
But! I fitted a ton of new menus and features, and still have some memory left.
FarenWeird Farenheit users will be happy with this one!
Brief summary:
- Restored the tip storage to 10 tips.
- Fixed a trillion of newly discovered bugs. Very few bugs remaining.
- Stripped lots of unused code and functions from the uGUI libraries. Gained a few % free flash.
- Removed the weird "push and rotate" thing to change between screens, I never liked it. Now only the classic "push to do something" is used.
- Modded the widgets to accept a bmp as a button, added a settings "Gear" icon in the corner. It looks way nicer!
- To enter the debug menu: Long press anywhere in the settings screen. Long press in each Debug screen to change the screens and exit.
- Uses hardware to compute CRC32 checksum from the settings.

Options added to the menu:
- Screen: Oled Fix (to apply the oled fix on certain displays, where the image appears shifted)
- New PWM menu:
    - Max Power (0-100%)
    - PWM Period (1-65mS)
    - Measuring delay(80-900uS)
- New DETECTION menu:
    - ADC limit (0-4100) (Limit to detect no iron connected, 4100=Never detected (Max ADC=4095))
    - Delay (After iron was detected again, delay before removing the 'No Iron detected' status. This is to prevent bouncing)
- New MISC menu:
    - Save Delay: After last system change, minimum time to pass until the system stores to the flash
    - GuiUpdate: Not related to the GUI speed, only to slow down the changes in values like temperature, voltage, to be human readable...
    - Temp Unit: Changes the system temperature between Celsius and Farenheit.
- New TIP TYPE menu. Allows changing the system between JBC and T12 tips. Note that this will reset the tip and PID data!
    - Serious warning displayed before allowing entering the screen. Using a JBC with T12 settings will totally destroy the tip, as the JBC TC output has much lower voltage.

The release will be soon!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:15:54 pm by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: cosmin1, dreamcat4

Offline cosmin1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #357 on: December 06, 2020, 04:10:09 pm »
How are you connecting it and what's the error?
Remember that if only SWDIO and SWCLK are used, you must go into the programmer settings and change reset method from hardware reset to software reset.
I tried also with Software system reset but no changes. I even updated the ST-Link to the latest firmware but that didn't helped either.
Here the pictures, i forgot to upload yesterday...
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:14:12 pm by cosmin1 »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #358 on: December 06, 2020, 04:18:33 pm »
I had a strange problem with mine,  when it used the stock FW.
There was no way to connect without manually holding the reset low. Probably debug disabled in software.
Try this take the tweezers and short the cap that goes to RST. Try to connect while shorting.
If it gives read error (read-out protected) then you must erase it.
While shorting the cap go into Option Bytes and set it to level 1, click "unselect all" in the Flash sector protection.
Remember that this will erase all the memory in the MCU.
For the RST pin, follow the stm pin 7. I think it goes to C3 but the black PCB doesn't help much...

I would start with the damaged board. Replace the roasted mcu, and try to connect.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:25:33 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline cosmin1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #359 on: December 06, 2020, 04:42:37 pm »
If i connect the St-link together with my soldering board, the utility doesn't even see the st-link. Even the st-link blue LED stops. I think it's because of the cooked STM.
First print without soldering board connected.
Second print with the board connected.

Should i try to read the healthy board with F103? Is there any risk to erase the firmware when i read?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 04:46:10 pm by cosmin1 »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #360 on: December 06, 2020, 07:45:02 pm »
You didn't replace the bad stm yet?
There's no danger in reading. But it's very unlikely you can read it.

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #361 on: December 06, 2020, 07:56:28 pm »
Actually wait! Don't write just yet. Because I forgot... there might be something useful to try.

You see the copy protection mechanism in STM32 products is what prevents you from reading the data. However the copy protection schemes only became "good enough" to hide "about 9%" of the data with these F103 series parts.

It might be possible then, if your F101 part is an older design. To in fact bypass the copy protection mechanism. However I just forgot and never bothered to look into that myself. Since I had F103 part.

Go check, do the research. And we might see if it's possible. What was the part number again, for the F101 version?

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #362 on: December 06, 2020, 08:21:10 pm »
Hey, fun times....

It turned out that i was originally confusing your F101x with the earlier F0 series. For which there was previously a way to completely bypass the copy protection.

So that would have been something that would have worked on DavidAlpha's STM32F072 part. But not on your F101....

However in attempting to check up on this today, I have since discovered a recent new research paper. That seems to improve upon the existing method, for the F103 series.

If you start at this page:

https://blog.zapb.de/one-exploit-to-rule-them-all/

And then read carefully at the bottom, where it says:

11 August 2020

There has been new links added. To the most recent paper, and if you read that PDF file. It seems to be talking about new related vulnerabilities found. In order to get at the remaining coverage 1/9th. Which previously was not readable.

Sorry this is something that did not previously exist, at the time when I was trying to read these firmwares, earlier this year. But perhaps it's possible! now?

I am not sure how difficult this would be to do. With the new techniques. So YMMV.

:-+

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #363 on: December 06, 2020, 08:25:07 pm »
Also: Those same guys also uploaded here for die image shots, to compare the "genuine" ST silicon, to the Chinese clones GD, CK etc.

https://github.com/JohannesObermaier/f103-analysis/tree/master/chip-images

Hehe  :-DD

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: December 06, 2020, 08:34:31 pm »
Very interesting, I'll have a look!

Being honest, I don't give a f...fudge for the original firmware. At least for what I got.
It's much better now, erased forever. That crap was worse than eating a bowl of Covid!
This was the original junk:

Now have a look at the latest updates:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 08:37:45 pm by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: cosmin1

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #365 on: December 06, 2020, 08:42:24 pm »
Being honest, I don't give a f...fudge for the original firmware.

I know. But the capability to go back / restore firmware helps others to try the open firmware. With fewer concerns. Which is a good thing generally for this project, to encourage others to switch.

Also it is useful to have the possibility to go back to check / compare. For example the performance. Or bugs. To check up such things, if ever needed.

There is also the possibility (in future) for other newer and higher quality commercial hardware. Which is also based on similar STM32 design. For example the newer WOKA stations. Are supposed to be pretty decent. So then it's more important to backup. Since with those version, the hardware design probably also changed a bit more.

Not that I really think I shall ever get a WOKA station now. But others might.

Offline cosmin1

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #366 on: December 06, 2020, 08:53:17 pm »
You didn't replace the bad stm yet?
There's no danger in reading. But it's very unlikely you can read it.
No, haven't replaced yet.
Surprise! The healthy board i could connect in a second! So that cooked STM will never be read.
And ofcourse, even on good STM, the firmware is not accesible.  ;D

This was the original junk:

So actually you didn't have the KSGER menu. Yours was a real junk.
This is the KSGER menu:

PS: most of all i appreciate your brightness setting menu.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 09:15:25 pm by cosmin1 »

Offline illiac4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #367 on: December 07, 2020, 05:13:35 am »
Agree. The menu on KSGER does look much better than on Quick.
Oh and btw today I have saw the review/pictures of the cheap stm32 soldering iron. It looks like it is stm32 board for real and not sct.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000183089084.html

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #368 on: December 07, 2020, 09:18:40 am »
I deciced to take a slightly different route for the screens.
Given that each screen can have its own draw function, I decided  to use that.
I deleted all the static widget labels, now the labels are drawn in the screen draw function using PutString, after that the rest of the screen is drawed on top.
This saved a huge amount of ram, around 3KB. And adds the benefit that labels no longer use ram, we can add all we want.
I'n not happy yet. There's a need to differentiate static from dynamic widgets, and treat the first as constant (no ram usage.)

And I thing its a good moment for the community to start giving some ideas!

Yep the Ksger looks way nicer. But the Quicko has much better hardware! So what does that give us?

The stock uGUI fonts are rather boring, I'm looking to change them usign this:
https://github.com/AriZuu/ttf2ugui
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 09:33:43 am by DavidAlfa »

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #369 on: December 07, 2020, 10:06:46 am »
I am not sure if it's easy to implement in the firmware, however I was hoping there is some way to sense automatically between T245 and T12.

This could be to prevent the need for the burn warning, at startup. And maybe also a way to modify the wiring to the handle, and have 2 connector jacks.

So that you can just plug in either handle, depending on the immediate task. Without needing to worry about keeps changing the setting. To avoid the danger.

However I didn't bring this up, because it seems more difficult problem. And maybe it's not so simple!

Also FYI the thermocouple resistance is also different between the C245 and the C210, enough to matter there too.

But there was another stupid feature, that you will also laugh at:

I wanted to know if we can use one of the spare GPIO pins (not used). To wire a 2nd button, or 3rd button. To make the menu navigation a bit faster / easier.

In simplest form, it's just the same button as on the rotary encoder. Because to push in the button of the rotary encoder, it's more difficult. It requires more pushing, and there is a hesitation for fear of turning the dial at the last moment.

But in addition. Having 2+ button then also enables the possibility to configure it as a dedicated "back" or "cancel" button. So that button 1 = "enter" or "ok" only. This also can make the menus faster / easier.

But we also have lots of other stuff that we want to do. Maybe those things are not matter so much. That's cool. Really I'm just happy we finally have a good open firmware! Really appreciate it!

Offline chollm

« Reply #370 on: December 07, 2020, 10:37:46 am »
Thank you DavidAlfa you are doing a great job.

As suggestions to the project, it would be interesting to support c210 tips from JBC, Another suggestion  is to create a fork for people who have i2c oled screen.

Sorry my bad english.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: December 07, 2020, 11:21:00 am »
The intention is to implement all hardware in the same base.
I already implemented hardware i2c in a test fork, when this fw is ready for release I only have to add that part.
Adding more buttons is the easiest part, but we must think how to do that.
I doubt most people will start soldering wires to the small TQFP package. It will be a minority.
Most will use the station as-is. So the addons should be implemented to be disabled by default.

Sensing the TC type by software? That's basically impossible without modifying the hardware.
You can't sense it by any means. And the voltage is neither a reliable way, as when cold they will measure similar.
Also you can't magically switch the circuitry. In any case, you can't swap T12 and JBC tips on the fly as the wiring is different.
So the menu is there, but only to be done once. You wire the station, select the Tip Type you are using, and that's all.
It can be done either switched manually in the software, or setting a jumper in hardware (useless, same thing as software)
An ok-ish way would be to use a different connector with more pins and use a dedicated pin to set the ID.
For example, assign a known resistor value for each handle type and sense the voltage with the adc.
But again that needs hardware modding. And for that we already nice hardware like the unisolder:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/index.php?topic=7218.0

There's no sense on overcomplicating it. Same for the buttons.
What will be the 99.9% of user interactions? Click on the setpoint and adjust the temperature.
Nothing else! Does it worth it adding fancy buttons and so? The encoder works pretty nice, it almost never fails detection.
Keeping in mind that my encoder is defective, sometimes it stucks between two positions.
In that condition the firmware knows it's in the middle of a movement, so the encoder button won't work until the movement is finished.
There's nothing wrong with that, it should be like that. Encoders rotate either a step to the left or to the right, but not half-steps!

How do it the Ksgers? I know some have the ability to use the JBC tips. Appart of cutting the TC trace or removing the resistor?
They should have an option in the firmware. And the same problem will happen if you use JBC with T12 settings.
The real JBC stations have current sensing, so they know when the tip is not the correct one.

I received the C245 handle, not awful but not great. The tip wouldn't get in at first, it was hitting the second contact and damaging the isolating plastic.
The contacts were too closed, also the plastic support had a pronunciated step that caused again the tip to not enter nicely.
After smoothing the plastic and slightly opening the contacts, now it seems to be doing well.

The tips look utterly crap. They're badly pressed and there' plenty of space betwen the tip and the heater in some areas.
Not tried yet, we'll see how it performs.
The thin tip, is definitely useless as it is, too sharp. I'll make the tip rounder.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 12:37:39 pm by DavidAlfa »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #372 on: December 07, 2020, 01:08:48 pm »
Well, I left you guys with a job. To propose nice fonts for the gui.
I already compiled and tried that program and it's very easy to implement new fonts!

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #373 on: December 07, 2020, 01:29:57 pm »
An ok-ish way would be to use a different connector with more pins and use a dedicated pin to set the ID.
For example, assign a known resistor value for each handle type and sense the voltage with the adc.
But again that needs hardware modding.

I think this is my point:

We want to choose the most sensible hardware mod. From a variety of options. And then implement the software support for that decision, in a unified firmware.

Because if we don't come together and agree the best hardware choice. Then different guys will each solve the problems in different ways. And there is no standard, the firmware is modded many ways for each. And it's then really confusing for others who want to come and find out.

We also want to devlop our own board, incorporating 'levels of' advanced features. So that we can populate the same pcb design with progressively more chips, etc. to add thos features not everybody wants.

And we have the same problem ther. Lets not have multiple variants of the design that implement these same features in completely different ways...

So for this we need a good open discussions for the pro's and cons of each choice. For example one way might technically be better than the other way. But result in higher BOM cost, so can that be justified?

How do it the Ksgers? I know some have the ability to use the JBC tips. Appart of cutting the TC trace or removing the resistor?

Yes... that is how it is on these blue Ve2.1S r2 pcb. Like cosin and myself. These is a trace at R11 on the pcb. So if the R11 pads are bridge joined together (0 ohm) it is in T12 mode. But when you cut that trace it becomes mode for the jbc T245. This is shown on floobydust schematic.

I think I remember some guy who moved that switching off the main pcb. Into his own simple mod. Maybe with a mosfet circuit to sense, or connect them. And make the switching happen, for example when each handle was plugged in. So that he could switch between them based on that. And have a default handle when both were plugged at the same time. As a hardware mod. But it was pretty simple and basic mod.

However another good question to know is if the KSGER pcb wiring for T245 was entirely correct. Richard Sims has put some useful details about them here, both the t210 and the t245:

https://github.com/Jan--Henrik/Otter-Iron-PRO/issues/16

For example which pins to drive the heater, and sense the TC from. I forget right now. But its in the link above ^^. Also check against the T245 cross section photo:

https://github.com/dreamcat4/t12-t245-controllers-docs/blob/master/tips-and-handles/t245-c245/t245-tip-cross-section.jpg

I perhaps this means sense the TC between c+ and gnd ?
And heat only between c+ and c-, not GND.

Wheras the construction of the C210 is different, and there must me switching. This is what Richard Sims is saying.

The real JBC stations have current sensing, so they know when the tip is not the correct one.

Yes.... this is a good way to check the heater resistance. With a shunt resistor. And measure that power.

Since we know it will vary between the T12 (9 ohm) and the T245 (2.6 ohm). Then we can use that to stop burning the tip in software. But what we don't have yet is the consensus to standardize that hardware mod. So that it is the same for everybody. Then the software only needs to implement 1 version of that. To make sure for example, there is no confusion and only 1 valid shunt resistor size (as a default, at least). Then it is actually safe for everybody. And a safe product to use, not to destroy the tips.

FOR the C245 / C210 auto switching, the guy who made the C (not pid) algorithm used an H bridge. That is a more expensive part. But it then let him have all that switching happen automatically. The 6 pin din has some pin id shorted between 2 pins.

Instead of an H bridge, maybe it would be cheaper to use some conventional magnetic relays. Or to use some mosfets together as switches. IDK.

The thing is to understand the trade offs, for BOM cost. And usability, and safety. And choose the best solution. It needs more discussion to really get a design that is good for everybody. Because different people have different opinions, and wallets. So finding the best overall trade offs, to have the best unified design... is not always what individual people will recommend.

I received the C245 handle, not awful but not great. The tip wouldn't get in at first, it was hitting the second contact and damaging the isolating plastic.
The contacts were too closed, also the plastic support had a pronunciated step that caused again the tip to not enter nicely.
After smoothing the plastic and slightly opening the contacts, now it seems to be doing well.

I see now what you mean by the isolating plastic. Those black step between the pins. Mine are not uniform, not even all the way around. And also it makes a sharp ridge.

Perhaps you can measure (for js02 bent tip), the distance in mm, from the end of the tip to the round metal collar, when fully inserted? Mine seems to stop @ 41mm.

It would be nice to check with you, to be sure it's correctly engaged:

No audible click... but after a scraping, then a feeling of less resistance. Then a soft stopping in the hand. When it gets to the end. The voltlog video says it is bad to push too hard.

Checking the resistance between pins, it seems like a good electrical connection.

FWIW those lengthwise ridge crimp lines look normal, because they also exist on the official JBC tips. Out best guess is that the manufacturer should be same chinese oem /from same factory. Thinking more towards a QC issues.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #374 on: December 07, 2020, 03:59:22 pm »
I love modifying everything, I would fill the T12 box with more pcbs and wires and whatever haha!
But maybe I didn't explain corretcly (I' don't mean to appear rude or anything!)
The actual purpose of this project is to make a compatible firmware -with- existing soldering stations, just as they come from aliexpress, ande require the minimum modding from the user.
So anyone can buy a KSGER, or a Quicko, hook 4 wires and replace the firmware.

That doesn't mean we can fork it and unleash all the power, absolutely not!
In any case, once you make your own pcb, the costs will skyrocket, not only the pcb cost, but the components, usually you can't order just 1, but a multiple of 5, 10...
And delivery costs for each thing.

So I think we can't forget that the main target of this project are these $30 stations.
And if anyone wants to add 325 mosfets, of course we can work on it!   :-DD
But I don't see merging that in the main branch. There would be a lot of important changes making it a totally different project.

The C245 slides like butter now. As I said the main problem was the second contact, the "fork" shape was too closed.
I should be like a "V" rather than "U". I don't see how you could push to hard to make a short.
The're endstops, you can't push any further. My guess is that the guy in the video bent a contact because this same reason, or who knows.
Maybe the soldered wires were not well isolated (does that seems familiar to you?)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 04:13:31 pm by DavidAlfa »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf