Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306913 times)

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #2375 on: October 07, 2016, 07:51:00 pm »
very nice smoke vent. Few people have that in a home lab

Oh, I thought that was the exhaust of the wash dryer used to preheat pcb's :)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline SoundSpud

« Reply #2376 on: October 07, 2016, 09:40:19 pm »

Ah yes, my bodged together extraction system! Simply a very powerful (and very noisy) CPU fan with integrated duct on the end of some dryer hose :p

I found out pretty quickly that with my face 6 inches from the PCB, pushing an 0402 LED into place, I was inhaling far too much of the fumes despite slowly breathing out while soldering. This thing does a fantastic job, able to pull the (visible) smoke from the tip of the iron even at great distances. Can't even smell it.

Unfortunately it also has a tendency to "extract" the 0402 component itself if placed too close  :-DD

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2377 on: October 07, 2016, 11:58:55 pm »

Ah yes, my bodged together extraction system! Simply a very powerful (and very noisy) CPU fan with integrated duct on the end of some dryer hose :p
Unfortunately it also has a tendency to "extract" the 0402 component itself if placed too close  :-DD

+1 on the home made fume extractor. If it's too powerful, add a potentiometer so you can drop the voltage when working on small components. Otherwise, you might need more parts inventory. :D
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Faith

• Supporter
« Reply #2378 on: October 08, 2016, 03:33:36 am »

Haha nice job. That was the first thing that caught my eye too!

For myself I use an IQAir HealthPro 250 right next to my bench where I solder.

Kinda costly but I did purchase it about three years ago and it runs 12 hours a day on a timer in my study anyhow so that I come home to nice clean air.

I usually prefer not to have anything which causes to much air circulation since it can be pretty hot where I live.

Part of the problem living right next to the equator >,<"...
<3 ~Faith~

Offline razberik

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2379 on: October 11, 2016, 10:44:20 pm »
I finally finished the setup of my home lab with all intended ideas for a while. Technically I have my lab+office+workshop in the kitchen. ;D
It can be seen:

1.) EE-related bench overview from a distance. There is a Markus from IKEA. Quite comfortable chair. There is a shelf with assorted parts and various junk on the left.
2.) EE-related bench close. Does it need some explanatory ? There can be seen a shelf on the right with photo centrum, solder centrum, charging centrum, various junk centrum.
3.) LED lighting ON. Therefore quite unbalanced photo.
4.) LED lighting close.
5.) LED lighting detail.
6.) Reloading press bench.
7.) Woodworks and other dirt/dust-related works bench. Most of the time used by my GF with her textbooks.
8.) A lot of dogs and cats were shown in this topic. Nobody have fluffy cuddly rats ?

There is quite a lot of junk and mess all around the place, but it I don't really care about it while I maintain clear overview of my property. :D

Offline amitchell

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2380 on: October 14, 2016, 11:21:23 pm »
My humble desk where I learn.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2381 on: October 14, 2016, 11:32:55 pm »

Looks good. You have the essentials: scope, DMM, coffee warmer. ;D

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2382 on: October 14, 2016, 11:54:39 pm »

Wished my life looked so simple  :-DD :-DD :-DD  People tell me I need to see a doctor.  If I do, I will say your setup is mine so he does not lock me up.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2383 on: October 15, 2016, 08:17:38 am »

Hmm... Blank PCBs but no soldering iron, something is wrong there...
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline pelule

• Frequent Contributor
  • What is business? It’s other people’s money
« Reply #2384 on: October 15, 2016, 10:12:19 am »
Whe I published a view to my working bench, I shortly had the idea, to clean it up before. But I refused.
It was quite clean once, I just had build it.
Now it shows the real life. :-//
But still far away from famous Jim's.  :phew:
You will learn something new every single day

Offline Falkra

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2385 on: October 15, 2016, 01:08:36 pm »
Well, this looks quite messy. But it is a very nice mess.  :-+

Offline amitchell

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2386 on: October 15, 2016, 02:24:39 pm »

I reflow and solder in the kitchen under the hood vent.  :-+ I try to keep the heat away from my walnut desk. I had a tanatalum cap incident a while back that left small black divots in it.

Offline jwrelectro

« Reply #2387 on: October 16, 2016, 11:08:49 pm »
I do not think I have posted to this thread before so I would like to add my YouTube link to my lab tour.
https://youtu.be/cgLyX4cN9nQ

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #2388 on: October 16, 2016, 11:24:24 pm »
I do not think I have posted to this thread before so I would like to add my YouTube link to my lab tour.
Snap-On chair? whoa where did you get those  :o

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2389 on: October 16, 2016, 11:32:27 pm »

Damn nice setup, I have some of the same test equipment here also. I'm also a ham.  :clap:
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #2390 on: October 26, 2016, 07:22:57 pm »
Still my EE/CS combo bench but this time I have a mess of debug probes in a semi-permanent installation.

And here is a closeup of the probes

Either Windows 10 or Intel have bugs in handling more than a few USB devices off a hierarchy of USB hubs.

Offline SkyMaster

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2391 on: October 26, 2016, 10:36:53 pm »

Snap-On chair? whoa where did you get those  :o

Snap-on "branded" chair.

Those are typically made by Alltrade, a Californian company with manufacturing capabilities in Asia.

These Snap-on "branded" chairs were sold by Costco a few years ago.

There is no chair on the Alltrade website at the moment http://www.alltradetools.com/catalog/5_snap-onr-

But is also possible that these chairs were only available through Costco. I bought several Snap-on branded, made by Alltrade, LED Worklight at Costco a few weeks ago, and this is not on the Alltrade website either.

:)

Offline dansan

• Contributor
« Reply #2392 on: October 27, 2016, 05:47:00 am »
Here's my home electronics lab.  Space was at a premium, so I set it up in the closet of a spare bedroom that is otherwise being used as an exercise room.  Most of the equipment is pretty ancient, except for the digital scope and the LCR meter.  Next equipment acquisition will hopefully be a new Hakko soldering iron to replace the dying Weller, which itself was originally a dumpster dive acquisition.

Over the summer, I used the lab to introduce my college-bound nephew to electronics.  His final summer project, which he chose on his own, was to design and build an AM radio using discrete transistors (no ICs).  He was quite proud when he finally got it working (and so was I).

Equipment:
* Rigol 1052E 50 MHz Digital Oscilloscope
* Hitachi V-1065 100 MHz Analog Oscilloscope
* Wavetek 148A 20 MHz Function Generator
* HP 5315B Frequency Counter
* Topward TPS-4000 Triple-Output Power Supply
* DIY Two-Output Power Supply
* Fluke 8025B Multimeter
* DER EE DE-5000 LCR Meter
* Weller Fixed-Temperature Soldering Iron

The storage drawers above contain various resistors, capacitors, inductors, transistors, diodes, digital and analog ICs, sensors, servos, Arduinos, Raspberry PIs, etc. that I've collected over the years.

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2393 on: October 27, 2016, 11:08:56 pm »

I have two of those Harbor Freight narrow tool cabinets under one of my electronics benches as well.  They're great for the money!

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #2394 on: October 29, 2016, 05:00:46 pm »
Coming soon......

New 400ft2 (37m2) lab / assembly room. Was once a garage, but I am finishing it with insulation, drywall, climate control, anti-static epoxy floor, lots of lighting, etc.

The pick and place machine is sitting on my back porch, strange sight. This workbench is a dream come true.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 07:11:36 pm by rx8pilot »
Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2395 on: October 29, 2016, 07:04:14 pm »
Still my EE/CS combo bench but this time I have a mess of debug probes in a semi-permanent installation.

And here is a closeup of the probes

Either Windows 10 or Intel have bugs in handling more than a few USB devices off a hierarchy of USB hubs.

Its windows.  Intel hardware with a decent OS handles USB fine.

What is the clear thing on top of the pickit

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2396 on: November 01, 2016, 02:38:33 am »
OK, I'll bite.  Here are a couple of shots of my space.  We lately moved into this house and I was able to negotiate this room as my "workroom" as we call it.  A couple of owners ago it used to be an attached garage then was renovated to convert it into a living room.  It never had very good insulation so can get quite cold in the winter.  The next owner converted it into piano studio and added a gas fireplace (!)  I wonder how many guys like us can say they have a fireplace beside their bench but it can warm the place very well on a very cold day in Canada after about an hour.

The first shot is taken standing on the steps up to the kitchen and main house.  I am still trying to sell the drafting board as I don't use it for much anymore except to put it as level as it can go and spread parts/drawings out on it.  The lovely old Nestler drafting machine is gone as I sold to someone in Tucson last year.  Under it are a Tek 535 scope which doesn't work (but probably could be fixed), a HP single-pen chart recorder that I still (after 34 years) have supplies for, and a small B&W NTSC picture monitor.  On the mantel is a W German tube radio, a Loewe Opta which doesn't work and beside it an Eddystone 750 which does very well.  To the right of the FP are several cabinets of drawers with almost every 1/4W 5% value in the E24 set from 1R0 to 10M, many 2W 5% and some higher power resistors.  Also about 30 drawers of trimmer pots and almost as many values of panel-mounted pots.  Unseen on the floor beside the FP is a HP 141T spectrum an for up to 1.3 GHz.

In the next shot is my electronic bench showing my working Tek 547 on its dolly, the lab PC (now replaced with a laptop).  I designed and built the bench a few years ago so that the "bridge" shelf could hold a significant load.  The best thing I ever did was make sure there were plenty (20 total) of outlets on it.  Going from L-R on the bench are a HP 1741 analog storage scope (REAL HP!), an HP bench supply with what was a Heathkit function generator on top.  The innards of the Heathkit have been completely replaced with a home brew circuit for sine/sq/triangle and noise generation.  Next is a Sony speaker for audio testing, a Tek 465 then Weller soldering station.  The bench is covered with a grounded static mat.  I have two of these as I used to have two identical benches but had to leave one behind in the old house.  I couldn't figger out how to fit both of them into this space so left one behind in the old house at the behest of the shyster who bought it (thats another story).  I like the stool very much since it has a long vertical travel so I can adjust it for taller or shorter benches.  Hanging from the front edge of the bench is a great hot air gun with nozzle attachments I got at Princess Auto for CAD$15.  On top of the bridge are a Tek 5103N analog scope with plugins that allow vertical sensitivity from 20 V/cm right down to 10 uV/cm and ability to apply DC offset and various HF and LF filters.  Also great for analog debug/characterization.  Next is a Grundig comm receiver Satelite 800 that I use to listen to good ole boys on 80m.  It has a cheap Fluke 1910 counter with terrible calibration however I lately built a WWV receiver with built-in ovenized 10 MHz oscillator that I use as reference for the counter.  As display the box has a single LED which displays the difference frequency between the two and will settle down to within 1 Hz in about an hour so I can trust the counter now.  A lot of my projects are made for $0 from stuff on hand so that's why I didn't go the GPS-disciplined route. :P  Beside that are stacked an HP 3580A spectrum an. fpr 0Hz - 50 Khz, an HP 8112 50 MHz pulse generator.  To the right of the bench is a Tek 7904 that I have with 6 plug-ins (gotta love cranking the sweep right out to 0.5 nSec/cm just cause I can).  The two drawer units seen in this shot are standard kitchen drawers with a peice of MDF screwed on top and painted.  A home-built tube-based bench power supply, a Tek logic analyzer, some vintage scopes, a ginormous isolation transformer, etc sit underneath.  Right at the bottom of the shot you just might be able to make out the cover of Jim Williams book The Art And Science of Analog Circuit Design.

The third shot shows the other (mechanical) bench I built about 26 years ago, as seen from the first bench.  We have various woodworking tools here including the small drill press, a swivelable (no matter how I spell that the red underline won't go away) bench vise small tools on the peg board and lots of screw drivers.  This bench used to be 8 feet long and no matter how I arranged the room it didn't fit so well.  So I put hinges on the right two feet and folded it up.  When its up the screwdrivers are a hazard to traffic near the outside door and when its down no traffic is possible but it accomplishes what I wanted which was access to the door and wall near it where fasteners are and as well eight feet of bench when I needed it.  Under the bench on a wheeled platform are a chop saw, scroll saw, bench grinder, palm sander, jig saw, tile cutter, Dremel, etc.  In the two small drawers are drill bits, files, etc.  The carpenters vise on the front is practically useless but maybe if I make wooden jaws flush with the top for it it may be useful.  To the side is a small table saw the makes a bloody racket when used and really makes the air cleaner earn its keep.

Standing at the mech bench and facing left show us the fourth shot.  We see my drum kit (doesn't everybody have a drum kit?) the stereo system my chalkboard for To-Do lists and sometimes for quick idea illustrations.  To its left is the old dentists cabinet filled with parts (ICs, switches, heat sinks, connectors, small proj boxes, wire, relays, glory box, etc).  Above in drawers are caps, HV caps, inductors, crystals and oscillators, LEDs heat shrink and mist small mech bits.  The door leads to a small room that uses up the rest of the old garage floor space where other misc storage is for bigger glory boxes, wood pieces, some more test gear (home-built tube curve tracer, etc)

This doesn't include my office space where my library and PC which I used to write this is.

I always have about 6 projects going on at any time from custom guitar-related builds to antique radio restoration or some gizmo for myself.  If there seems to be a lot of HP stuff here, take my word for it that I didn't plan it that way, its just the way the smokin' deals came through.  Anyway I like older technology and everything here still works (except for the Loewe Opta).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:08:15 am by basinstreetdesign »
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, jonovid

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2397 on: November 01, 2016, 08:06:32 am »
Cool pics, basinstreetdesign. It's been ages since I last used a drafting machine.

The following users thanked this post: basinstreetdesign

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #2398 on: November 05, 2016, 09:27:53 pm »
Pillar drill, drum kit, vice. Everything a real man needs!
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2399 on: November 05, 2016, 10:09:26 pm »
Is this green surface a digitizer? But where's the monitor? Does it also function as a monitor? Wow!!!  :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf