Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306702 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4025 on: July 18, 2019, 02:40:08 am »
I'm thinking, by some of your statements in the other thread, your next stop is the TEA thread.  No need to worry, the rabbit hole has bee properly greased to help you slide down it easier. :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #4026 on: July 18, 2019, 02:10:39 pm »
I'm thinking, by some of your statements in the other thread, your next stop is the TEA thread.  No need to worry, the rabbit hole has bee properly greased to help you slide down it easier. :-DD

I'm pretty sure the TEA thread was the first place I started posting when I joined this forum!  :-DD

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4027 on: July 19, 2019, 11:44:42 pm »
That's jumping in with both feet. :-DD
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4028 on: July 19, 2019, 11:55:05 pm »
Last week I got a Bertech 2059T-18x30BKT ESD High Temperature Rubber Mat to replace my old jaycar mat (it got destroyed while desoldering SMD components), my bench looks so much better now!  :-+

Offline mindcrime

• Supporter
« Reply #4029 on: July 20, 2019, 09:51:10 am »
Last week I got a Bertech 2059T-18x30BKT ESD High Temperature Rubber Mat to replace my old jaycar mat (it got destroyed while desoldering SMD components), my bench looks so much better now!  :-+

Looks nice!   :-+ Is that an official EEVBlog Multimeter I spy hanging there???  Man, I gotta get me one of those...  :-DMM

Offline djos

• Supporter
« Reply #4030 on: July 20, 2019, 11:15:55 am »

Looks nice!   :-+ Is that an official EEVBlog Multimeter I spy hanging there???  Man, I gotta get me one of those...  :-DMM

Cheers. Yep it's the BM235 from Dave - great meter too!

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4031 on: July 27, 2019, 07:19:37 am »
Time to shove some cork on it  :) My ancient tacked onto shack bench was in need of a makeover for electronic and other uses. Also to stop yet another component or screw falling into the cracks between boards  :palm:

Why Cork over an ESD option is partly for multi use and better looks but also it is much cheaper. I did grab a 90x60 dissipative mat to go with the remodel and the other bits to wire it in place. The edge is a standard 6mm carpet edge screwed into the bench with flathead screws, it will stop any rolling bits from coming off and also makes for a hard wearing edge.

Still need to cut the rear bits and glue it down tomorrow when the Temperature is a bit warmer.

Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: hammy

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4032 on: July 27, 2019, 07:35:41 am »
Gunna seal the cork bean ?
You should do just in case you spill your coffee !  :P
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4033 on: July 27, 2019, 07:36:44 am »

Err Beer too  :popcorn: Yep couple of coats of sealant before it gets into serious use.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4034 on: July 27, 2019, 07:41:22 am »

Err Beer too  :popcorn: Yep couple of coats of sealant before it gets into serious use.
Beer, coffee and sealant fumes ?  :scared:
We'll see you again in a couple of days.  :-DD
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4035 on: July 28, 2019, 05:39:12 am »
Bean Flying on Glue fumes 2.4x0.7m and may as well take a pic because it will never be clear again  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: hammy

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4036 on: July 28, 2019, 10:13:53 am »
So I bought a new house.  I now have two man caves, both in various stage of evolution.

The gaming room/office/electronics bench:

The garage with my DIYOW solar powered lights:

The long finger plan is to square off the side door to the house with the 'garage' making a utility room and new side door that leads into the garage.  The garage will be sealed, floored, boarded and cieling'd so it can be heated.  That will make a HUGE man cave with a room of approximately 7.5m x 3.5m!  Lined on 2 sides with benches and shelving units on another side.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4037 on: July 28, 2019, 02:02:16 pm »
My present benches are kitchen worktops cut to size, big, heavy and expensive. After seeing the job that beanflying did I have decided that my next set of benches will be made from cheap timber covered in cork.

:clap:  :clap:   :clap:
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #4038 on: July 28, 2019, 07:57:07 pm »
Bean Flying on Glue fumes 2.4x0.7m and may as well take a pic because it will never be clear again  :palm:
I love that, but the sharp metal corner on the edge gives me phantom pains in my lower arms :scared:

Have you considered rounded trim from wood?  Could make it yourself, if you have a woodworking router, from say two-by-two stock. (The router is used to create a notch for the table edge, before you shape the stock.  That way you could decide exactly how high and at what angle the trim meets the table surface.)  For surface treatment, oil and beeswax is my favourite; especially nice if it gets a bit cold there, because wood won't feel as cold as metal does, for bare hands.  Cork sounds looovely.

My own work surfaces are solid wood (like kitchen worktops, but thinner; only 18mm thick).  I use food-grade mineral oil and beeswax for the surfaces, because I like the feel.  When (not if) I ding it, holding a kettle with boiling hot water on it on top usually expands the wood back, and for discoloration, sandpaper and refinishing with oil-wax mix works well.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4039 on: July 29, 2019, 01:42:20 am »
I love that, but the sharp metal corner on the edge gives me phantom pains in my lower arms :scared:

Have you considered rounded trim from wood?  Could make it yourself, if you have a woodworking router, from say two-by-two stock. (The router is used to create a notch for the table edge, before you shape the stock.  That way you could decide exactly how high and at what angle the trim meets the table surface.)  For surface treatment, oil and beeswax is my favourite; especially nice if it gets a bit cold there, because wood won't feel as cold as metal does, for bare hands.  Cork sounds looovely.

My own work surfaces are solid wood (like kitchen worktops, but thinner; only 18mm thick).  I use food-grade mineral oil and beeswax for the surfaces, because I like the feel.  When (not if) I ding it, holding a kettle with boiling hot water on it on top usually expands the wood back, and for discoloration, sandpaper and refinishing with oil-wax mix works well.

I did look at routing an edge but as I had a few lengths of this Aluminium left over from another job decided to use it up. Using it a little over the last day or so it seems fine if the seat is set correctly.

Going with Water Based Acrylic as it will most likely survive the odd spill of Beer or Coffee better  ;) I did a renovation on this little box of weights a few weeks ago with a Beeswax/Orange Oil blend and it came up really well. Using up the last of a can of coloured (to help hide spills) then a couple of coats of clear.

The other thing I didn't mention if anyone else is going down the Aluminium path with screws is I ground out the back of the Cork tiles for the heads so they sit flat.

Sanded back and time to sniff fumes. EDIT: Shot added after two coats of Stain.

Edit of the Edit: Shot of it in 'working' condition post final coats of clear varnish

« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:15:43 am by beanflying »

The following users thanked this post: hammy, Kean, Nominal Animal

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4040 on: August 04, 2019, 04:52:29 pm »
Current evolution of my man-cave. Running out of space (like everybody :) ).
6 months later, I managed to accumulate even more... erm... stuff.
I finally managed to repair the CMTA 84 Radiocommunication-Analyzer, acquired a Noise-Figure-Meter, LeCroy DSO, Modulation-Domain Analyzer, new PSU (100A :-+) and some smalls...

Now, I do not have any place for the 3D-Printer. And there's more TE to come soon. Next step is a whole reorganization of the room. Though, I do not have a clue how yet. :-//

Soldering-Desk has not changed a lot, that's rather convenient for me as is.

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #4041 on: August 04, 2019, 07:49:01 pm »
Oooo, I'm rather jealous of that 8510C system.  :-DD :-+

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4042 on: August 04, 2019, 09:47:24 pm »
A+ for Widlar poster  :-+ :-DD

The following users thanked this post: 0culus

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
The wife's walk in wardrobe
« Reply #4043 on: August 04, 2019, 10:17:14 pm »
While she's away at the outlaw's, I repurposed the walk in wardrobe. She'll be right.

The following users thanked this post: Circuitous, Electro Fan

Offline gnavigator1007

• Supporter
« Reply #4044 on: August 04, 2019, 11:03:29 pm »
Nice wine key!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4045 on: August 05, 2019, 02:01:17 am »
Nice wine key!

There’s two of them if you look more closely, redundancy you see.

More seriously, the foil cutter blade of this particular model turns out to be perfect for non-destructive prising apart a plastic enclosure of one of my products, either for when they fail final test, or for repair.

Offline tekosis

« Reply #4046 on: August 11, 2019, 09:17:13 pm »
beautiful topic. I'm following.

Offline Fergo

« Reply #4047 on: August 19, 2019, 12:41:22 am »
It's not much in terms of EE, but I finally managed to create some space for my (new) scope, soldering station and components in my little room, which also holds my music stuff (there are a couple guitars on the back wall), gaming gear, 3D printing stuff, etc...

Offline Urs42

• Supporter
« Reply #4048 on: August 20, 2019, 03:51:54 pm »
My work-bench at the CCCamp2019

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #4049 on: August 20, 2019, 06:09:54 pm »
My work-bench at the CCCamp2019

Noticed here.  ;D

Have a lot of fun,

Mounty
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf