Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306719 times)

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
  • From Shanghai With Love
    • My Untitled Blog
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1225 on: May 05, 2015, 12:38:33 pm »
A few new items added to my bench, so now things I have:

Test gear:
  • Luyang YB4325 20MHz CRT oscilloscope with digital readouts
  • Zhenxing DT-890 3.5 digit digital multimeter
  • Fuke (not Fluke) A830L 3.5 digit digital multimeter, as a backup meter
  • Suntek A6243L 3.5 digit inductor/capacitor meter
  • u-blox 6010-based GPS module (used as time standard)

Generic tools
  • MiniPro TL866CS universal programmer (hacked into a TL866A)
  • Computers! PC running Ubuntu Linux, MacBook Pro running OS X, and a floating Windows 10 virtual machine (since both my computers have access to one common server and have VMware Fusion/Workstation, I kept that virtual machine floating there)

Microcontrollers:
  • Arduinos! Uno, Leonardo, Mega 2560 and Due, one each
  • Raspberry Pis! Model B, 2x Model B+, 2x Rev 2 Model B
  • Spare ATmega328P, ATtiny85, ATmega128, ATmega32U4, STC15L2K60S2 (8051-based 3.3V), PIC16F72 chips
  • AVRISP mkII (in transit)
  • PICkit 3

FPGA and PLD:
  • 2x Altera MAX II EPM240T100 evaluation board
  • Altera MAX II EPM570T100 evaluation board
  • Spare EPM240C100, EPM570C100 and GAL16V8 chips
  • Altera USB Blaster clone

The USB Blaster clone is the most used programming tool, as I use it as a generic USB JTAG adapter.

Partial bench shot:

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1226 on: May 05, 2015, 02:35:43 pm »
Technix -  I used to have that same Pioneer receiver unit.. a friend bought it in Germany and forgot to switch the PSU over before plugging it in in the USA.  I took it apart instead of fixing it, so I have a spare tranfo with the rectifiers still attached if you ever need one!

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #1227 on: May 05, 2015, 02:39:23 pm »
Technix -  I used to have that same Pioneer receiver unit.. a friend bought it in Germany and forgot to switch the PSU over before plugging it in in the USA.  I took it apart instead of fixing it, so I have a spare tranfo with the rectifiers still attached if you ever need one!

Thanks for the info but if it breaks down I will scout for parts myself. Transfo is EXPENSIVE to send internationally!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1228 on: May 05, 2015, 03:00:42 pm »
There have been a few shots of messy (but interesting!) work areas recently. So I thought I'd put an entry in for that competition. Not my electronics work area, just the mechanical workbench. Messy enough?
I'd say I tidy it up now and then, but that's a pretty rare event. It usually has several different wedged projects getting in each other's way. Now being no exception.

Currently it's being used for disassembly of several old rear-projection TV sets, that I'd been accumulating till I had enough to make it worthwhile. Apart from a some components to be scavenged off the boards, the main thing I want is the silicone cooling fluid between the high power CRT glass and the lenses. Optically clear, doesn't go cloudy or scummy over time, and not (particularly) flammable when it gets hot.
I wanted a big jar of it, for a project.  And now have!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:44:41 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline kakureru

• Contributor
« Reply #1229 on: May 06, 2015, 04:12:48 am »
Ah nothing like an good old RPTV..

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1230 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:37 am »
Ah nothing like an good old RPTV..

Nothing like them, for what? Wasting space? Ostentatiousness? Last gasp of an obsolete CRT technology? Cluttering the living room? Remote viewing of spiderwebs? (in the interior light paths.)

They are goldmines of parts though. You just need a jigsaw to cut the huge case plastic moldings up into pieces small enough to fit in the roley bin.
Also in some of them the huge internal mirror is cute - it's a thin plastic silvered film, stretched tight on a light aluminium frame. That silvered film is useful too.

BTW, does anyone know what that optical CRT-cooling fluid actually is? Some kind of silicone oil, I think. But where would I find a product number and Material Safety Data Sheet? And a source to purchase in bulk? That was a lot of work, just to get 3L of it.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline kakureru

• Contributor
« Reply #1231 on: May 06, 2015, 06:29:47 am »
If you ever has issues with your house floating away, one of those TVs would help allot.

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #1232 on: May 06, 2015, 09:56:30 am »
On bench, R->L: Dumb terminal (restoration ongoing), ZX spectrum+2 with ½ an IO interface, and an old PACE desoldering/soldering station.

I hope that's a cinnamon stick on your coffee, then again it looks like a shark is swimming on it.

I would ditch the Dumb terminal, it looks almost as big as my first one (VT-52), If you must have one at least go for a VT-520 (hard to find) or a VT-420, they are still vintage enough and you'll get 30% of your bench back :)

Rid of it? It's my pride and joy! It's probably one of the rarest British terminals (Internet-info wise) out there! I'm restoring it for my PDP-11 (when i find one, and I. will.  ;D)
do prefer my coffee with some bite, but it is in fact a teaspoon.
--Christoffer
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #1233 on: May 06, 2015, 10:50:13 am »
On bench, R->L: Dumb terminal (restoration ongoing), ZX spectrum+2 with ½ an IO interface, and an old PACE desoldering/soldering station.

I hope that's a cinnamon stick on your coffee, then again it looks like a shark is swimming on it.

I would ditch the Dumb terminal, it looks almost as big as my first one (VT-52), If you must have one at least go for a VT-520 (hard to find) or a VT-420, they are still vintage enough and you'll get 30% of your bench back :)

Rid of it? It's my pride and joy! It's probably one of the rarest British terminals (Internet-info wise) out there! I'm restoring it for my PDP-11 (when i find one, and I. will.  ;D)
--Christoffer

Just wondering, since I obtained a bunch of CPLDs, is it worth it creating a PDP-11 clone, running at 50MHz, using a bunch of CPLDs, 6116 SRAM chips and a few modern microcontrollers?

Offline Addicted2AnalogTek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1234 on: May 06, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
They are goldmines of parts though. You just need a jigsaw to cut the huge case plastic moldings up into pieces small enough to fit in the roley bin.
Also in some of them the huge internal mirror is cute - it's a thin plastic silvered film, stretched tight on a light aluminium frame. That silvered film is useful too.

BTW, does anyone know what that optical CRT-cooling fluid actually is? Some kind of silicone oil, I think. But where would I find a product number and Material Safety Data Sheet? And a source to purchase in bulk? That was a lot of work, just to get 3L of it.

I've also found that those mirrors are quite useful for diy laser projects since the reflective film is not under the glass.

I'm wondering the same thing about the cooling fluid, as I have about the same amount as you. I was wondering if it would be good to use as transformer oil for the odd projects.  I'll try and find it off of the schematics/parts list for RPTV's and such.   What are you planning to use it for?

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1235 on: May 06, 2015, 01:36:00 pm »

I've also found that those mirrors are quite useful for diy laser projects since the reflective film is not under the glass.

I'm wondering the same thing about the cooling fluid, as I have about the same amount as you. I was wondering if it would be good to use as transformer oil for the odd projects.  I'll try and find it off of the schematics/parts list for RPTV's and such.   What are you planning to use it for?
I remember reading that CRT projectors use glycol/glyserol so I guess projection TV's would be similar
http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Equipment_C4/Projection_TV_Forum_F24/Changing_CRT_Coolant_P15302
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-4275

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1236 on: May 06, 2015, 04:25:57 pm »
I remember reading that CRT projectors use glycol/glyserol so I guess projection TV's would be similar
http://www.tv-forums.com/forum/TV_Equipment_C4/Projection_TV_Forum_F24/Changing_CRT_Coolant_P15302
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/20-4275

Darn, now I'm disappointed. But would have been anyway, since googling it was next.
Also, I tried a quick flammability test with some - wet a piece of tissue in it, then see if it burns. Sure does. That's unfortunate since the intended application must use an absolutely non-flammable fluid. It's something vaguely like lava lamps, only quite different. Still involving thermal convection and light, and will get hot. Lava lamps are now banned due to the fire risk, I heard. Which is fair enough.

I also tested the RPTV fluid for solubility in water, and it is completely soluble. Therefore not a silicone oil. Plus one of the old RPTVs I pulled apart had bad seals, and the fluid had badly corroded the metal frame. That's what prompted me to try the flammability and water solubility, since silicone oils don't corrode metal.

Here's another thread on this stuff: http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=21007&forum=1

Incidentally, after a relaxing evening stripping components from several  RPTV board sets , here's my workbench again. Yes, it's arranged for the pic. The stripped boards were in a stack on the floor, and I'd started sorting the parts then did that arrangement for the pic too. Normally I'd just put groups in small ziplock bags as I separated them. Unlike that guy recently with the thousands of containers of carefully sorted used parts, I don't fully sort these. Just dump them in ziplocks in storage cubes by type. New parts stock are kept sorted by value, used parts just by type and more or less by size/colour and 'strip sets' - since that tends to keep identical parts together.

Edit to add:

Photocopiers are an even better source of front silvered mirrors. They have long strips of quite thick precision front silvered glass in the carriage and fixed optical path.

Since discovering it's a mix of ethylene glycol, etc, and it's water soluble, I'd say definitely not good for transformers. Will absorb water, be electrically conductive, and corrode any exposed metal.
You could just buy transformer oil? (Or if you're cheap like me, find some old junk with an oil filled transformer, and use that.)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 04:39:03 pm by TerraHertz »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1237 on: May 06, 2015, 05:33:15 pm »
The fluid is ethylene glycol, ultra pure, with a small amount of a fungicide added, so that it will be bacteriostatic and not grow anything inside it which will make it cloudy. Most likely additive will be sodium metabisulphate, probably at around 2% concentration so as to keep it free of bacteria, while staying optically clear. Do not drink it, it will be lethal both from the glycol ( which smells sweet and tastes sweet as well) and the preservative is harmful in high concentrations.

If you want transformer oil go to the local welding suppliers store, as they stock it in 1l containers for use in oil cooled welders. Otherwise air tool oil ( used in an inline oiler) is a good substitute.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1238 on: May 06, 2015, 05:42:18 pm »
I  do prefer my coffee with some bite, but it is in fact a teaspoon.
--Christoffer

to ChristofferB and other PDP-11 aficionado's:

I was going through some boxes in my other house a few nights ago and discovered a DEC PDP-11 hardware reference (softcover) in good condition. In the seventies my first mini-computer experience was with an 11/45 in a university basement. You never forget your first -sigh.

I can't remember the exact title as I do not have it in front of me but it fully described instruction sets, memory maps, front panel settings ect. and included some photographs, quite comprehensive. As I was thumbing through it I thought I will never use this again, I wonder if I should ebay it for the retro crowd as I don't want to just throw it away.  The cover still has the original uni bookstore price tag $8.95 canadian dollars (1978 value). I will sell it for $20 bux plus shipping to anyone who wants it.

Offline ChristofferB

• Frequent Contributor
  • Chemistry phd student!
    • My channel:
« Reply #1239 on: May 06, 2015, 05:44:09 pm »

--Christoffer

Just wondering, since I obtained a bunch of CPLDs, is it worth it creating a PDP-11 clone, running at 50MHz, using a bunch of CPLDs, 6116 SRAM chips and a few modern microcontrollers?

It should be doable. There's a lot of PDP-11 info and documentation out there.
--Christoffer //IG:Chromatogiraffery
Check out my scientific instruments diy (GC, HPLC, NMR, etc) Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ8l6SdZuRuoSdze1dIpzAQ

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #1240 on: May 06, 2015, 05:49:21 pm »
I  do prefer my coffee with some bite, but it is in fact a teaspoon.
--Christoffer

to ChristofferB and other PDP-11 aficionado's:

I was going through some boxes in my other house a few nights ago and discovered a DEC PDP-11 hardware reference (softcover) in good condition. In the seventies my first mini-computer experience was with an 11/45 in a university basement. You never forget your first -sigh.

I can't remember the exact title as I do not have it in front of me but it fully described instruction sets, memory maps, front panel settings ect. and included some photographs, quite comprehensive. As I was thumbing through it I thought I will never use this again, I wonder if I should ebay it for the retro crowd as I don't want to just throw it away.  The cover still has the original uni bookstore price tag $8.95 canadian dollars (1978 value). I will sell it for $20 bux plus shipping to anyone who wants it.

I would suggest you keep it and scan it up and share the PDF, instead of sell it.

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1241 on: May 06, 2015, 05:56:09 pm »
Lava lamps are now banned due to the fire risk, I heard. Which is fair enough.
Heard from whom? Mathmos still seem to be selling them, even in Australia.

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #1242 on: May 06, 2015, 05:56:52 pm »

--Christoffer

It should be doable. There's a lot of PDP-11 info and documentation out there.

I will try if I got time and get my mind around VHDL. That would be a great exercise on system design.

By the way, maybe I would take the PDP-11 architecture and boost it up to 32 or 64 bit to make it at least a little bit more modern. That would make very good use of a few 100-pin and 144-pin TQFPs.

Offline chickenHeadKnob

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1243 on: May 06, 2015, 06:11:57 pm »
technix writes,
I would suggest you keep it and scan it up and share the PDF, instead of sell it.

That's an idea I didn't consider. But some problems present, I don't have a scanner and the book is on the small and thick side which means it doesn't want to lay flat and you would get that optical distortion as the page curves toward the spine. Further it is disadvantaged by having many pages and fine print. I understand that google and other people who have large scale scan operations actually dismantle the books before scanning. I will have to think about it some more.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1244 on: May 06, 2015, 07:13:29 pm »
1. Every conceivable item of PDP-11 documentation has already been scanned
2. Please consider taking PDP-11 discussions to a more relevant thread

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1245 on: May 07, 2015, 02:02:41 am »

PM sent.
I'll gladly buy it.
Even if there are online PDF copies of the same manual, I'd still like an original.
For one thing because I have a project to scan old tech manuals in much better resolution and quality than usually found. Since I think they are historical treasures, and deserve better.
But also as I too would like to find a PDP 11 someday, to restore and play with.

The issue of needing an edge scanner for thick books is one I'm addressing. I'm fairly poor, so am hacking an existing cheap flatbed scanner to work as an edge scanner. Project in-progress, will be posting a writeup when done. Starting with an old Canon LIDE 20, which are cheaply available 2nd hand.

Edit to add:
Lava lamps are now banned due to the fire risk, I heard. Which is fair enough.
Heard from whom? Mathmos still seem to be selling them, even in Australia.

I can't recall where I got that from. Last year sometime, might have been a conversation, might be plain wrong. Googling finds nothing, except a lot of 'incandescent bulbs becoming unobtainable' teeth gnashing.
But anyway, it's not important. For other reasons the oil I need has to be non-flammable. The RPTV fluid will suffice for concept testing.

By the way, maybe I would take the PDP-11 architecture and boost it up to 32 or 64 bit to make it at least a little bit more modern. That would make very good use of a few 100-pin and 144-pin TQFPs.
Perhaps not a good idea? The architecture is obsolete, and of no interest other than historical. Might be better to keep an FPGA version true to the original? Also, cheaper if fitted in smallest possible parts.
If you want to put in extra effort, make an FPGA version complete with replica physical front panel; LEDs and paddle switches. Could be done in flat form, so you could have a working PDP 11 front panel clone hanging on a wall. Add one ethernet port with supervisor micro for remote upload and monitoring, with a remote access util for PCs (or just make it fully web/html format), so you can script the blinkenlighten...
Is that Cool or not?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 02:48:53 am by TerraHertz »

Offline smjcuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1246 on: May 09, 2015, 08:38:47 am »
My bench, the living room table, looks like the attached.

Working on a simple twin-t filter/amp AF oscillator for a test audio single for an iambic keyer I'm working on. Tried Manhattan construction for the first time - was a pain cutting out PCB blanks but worked quite well apart from some poor planning on my part.

There's a TTi PL330 PSU, an HP 6236B, a dead Tek 453, a limping Fluke 77 and a pile of tubs of components dotted around the house as well. I'm using an 8xAA pack and a current limiting resistor there as I've run out of sockets at the table and the kids nicked my extension block for iPad charging. Boo hiss. Soldering iron PSU lives on the chair as the magnetic field cocks up the scope otherwise (could do with some shielding there).

Components kept bagged in tubs. R=resistors. C=caps/inductors. S=semis. I=ICs. HT=hand tools. D/S = Don't bag/Swept (working parts box/prototype handy stuff and probe attachments)

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1247 on: May 24, 2015, 03:12:34 am »
I cleaned up my workbench from a few post ago, and only managed to add one more item to it...
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline ketil b

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1248 on: May 27, 2015, 01:52:34 am »
Hi been semi lurking here for awhile now, so I thought i would post my lab and a library shot.

thanks

ketil

Offline technix

• Super Contributor
    • My Untitled Blog
« Reply #1249 on: May 27, 2015, 06:58:47 am »
Hi been semi lurking here for awhile now, so I thought i would post my lab and a library shot.

thanks

ketil

I also had that IKEA clip-on lamp - it is really versatile!  :-+

I don't have that much test equipments and my equipment placement is integrated into my overall desk layout, with no shelf space.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf