Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2306842 times)

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1350 on: July 29, 2015, 03:18:21 pm »
Orange is a Guitar Amp company i believe.

Offline Obin

• Contributor
  • Hi
« Reply #1351 on: July 29, 2015, 07:22:13 pm »
^ Correct. Thats the Orange Micro Terror, a small guitar amp. I sometimes enjoy messing around with guitar effect circuitry, and it's there for testing and practicing guitar stuff. When I added the shelf to the desk there was a empty spot, and it fit!

So sorry, no fancy/rare measuring device :D

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1352 on: August 01, 2015, 03:24:48 am »
Just recently upgraded with a DS1054z. compact, but serves its purpose!

The function generator is the chinese brand from ebay right? is it a 'okey' or 'never touch it' instrument?

Offline Obin

• Contributor
  • Hi
« Reply #1353 on: August 01, 2015, 08:25:34 pm »
Just recently upgraded with a DS1054z. compact, but serves its purpose!

The function generator is the chinese brand from ebay right? is it a 'okey' or 'never touch it' instrument?

http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/221413594674 That one to be exact. It's ok. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is the sweep function.
One thing that bugged the sh*t out of me was the loud beep it produced everytime you changed a value. A little duct tape over the small speaker took care of that ;). Certainly not a "never touch it instrument", if it broke and I would be short on cash, I'd buy it again for sure :)

Offline Aodhan145

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1354 on: August 01, 2015, 08:32:11 pm »
As I have some new kit and to prove to Tautech that I do use my DSO now.....
:-DD
Nice old CRO you have....
And you need a cat.

You stop picking on my CRO  :rant: . it is always good to ensure you have a back up however newer you go, on top of that I dont tend to throw old things out, remember, we are all getting older, imagine being replaced be a newer version , my tools have feelings too !.

The Tek 2235 is my only scope it works great. I don't have enough for a digital scope. What is wrong with it?

Offline RickBrant

• Supporter
« Reply #1355 on: August 01, 2015, 10:04:17 pm »
My tortoise shell queen Trinny came up to me in my garden as I was planting veg out of the blue, rubbed against me and let me pick her up, she stayed for 5 years till the evil shit next door who hated her ran her over, I asked about and everyone said she was a wild cat no one owned or wanted. She used to sleep at the top of my bed across my head !. She was lovely, but I would still not let one near my kit.
So sorry to read that. Torties pick their person, and she obviously had picked you.

"God made the cat, that man might have the pleasure of caressing the tiger." - Fernand Mery
"banging meter needles into stop pins since 1965"

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1356 on: August 01, 2015, 10:36:27 pm »
As I have some new kit and to prove to Tautech that I do use my DSO now.....
:-DD
Nice old CRO you have....
And you need a cat.

You stop picking on my CRO  :rant: . it is always good to ensure you have a back up however newer you go, on top of that I dont tend to throw old things out, remember, we are all getting older, imagine being replaced be a newer version , my tools have feelings too !.

The Tek 2235 is my only scope it works great. I don't have enough for a digital scope. What is wrong with it?

Nothing.  Enjoy yours like I enjoy mine.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1357 on: August 06, 2015, 05:12:32 am »
Had to show off the new oscilloscope.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 05:14:40 am by trophosphere »

Online Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1358 on: August 06, 2015, 05:32:10 am »
@ Trophosphere ,, What is the 2U rackmount piece of kit on your bench.
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline trophosphere

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1359 on: August 06, 2015, 05:42:53 am »
@ Trophosphere ,, What is the 2U rackmount piece of kit on your bench.

Rohde & Schwarz SML03 Signal Generator

I got it off of Ebay for about 500 USD and repaired it so it was a pretty good deal.

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #1360 on: August 23, 2015, 06:56:06 pm »
I've just recently built this and I hope to fail a lot, learn a lot and have loads of fun at this desk.

Offline Daniel_Reyes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1361 on: August 24, 2015, 01:06:28 am »

Here is my lab. I have a variable linear power supply build to start next week, an oscope to fix and a 25mhz sig gen in the mail.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1362 on: August 24, 2015, 01:21:38 am »
I've just recently built this and I hope to fail a lot, learn a lot and have loads of fun at this desk.

All those probes and clip leads there waiting for something ... anything ... to measure.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1363 on: August 24, 2015, 07:49:01 am »

Nicely built workbench!
One thing though - those lower support panels on the left, with the way you've run the grain horizontally rather than vertically - you know wood planks are very bendy and prone to sudden failure across the grain? Especially when made of glued pieces like that.

If by "fail a lot" you don't mean dropping all your test gear at once, it might be a good idea to add some vertical stiffeners to that.  Just saying.

Edit: Or, does the far left tall vertical piece go all the way down? That would do it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:51:07 am by TerraHertz »
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #1364 on: August 24, 2015, 08:08:50 am »
Nicely built workbench!

Thanks man! It's my first 'woodworking' project, and I'm reasonably happy with the result.

[...]you know wood planks are very bendy and prone to sudden failure across the grain?

I did not know that, but it was my intuition so;

Edit: Or, does the far left tall vertical piece go all the way down? That would do it.
It does indeed and I did hope it would suffice. Though, I'll see about adding some 'reinforcements' to the design down the line :)

All those probes and clip leads there waiting for something ... anything ... to measure.  :)

I've also ordered a bunch of components which will keep the drawers and the test leads in company :) I'll probably post again down the line when the bench is actually in use  :-/O

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1365 on: August 24, 2015, 11:14:44 pm »
Some really nice benchs since my last visit to this thread.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1366 on: August 25, 2015, 12:25:36 am »
I like the solid real wood. Unfortunately it is quite expensive over here.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #1367 on: August 25, 2015, 02:29:37 am »

1" x 12" by 96" pine common board is $19.44 USD here in the US at the big box home improvement store.  Interestingly enough, 1" x 8" by 96" pine common board is 31 cents more!  I wish I had access to a biscuit joiner, I would redo the top of my workbench with it.  They are way too expensive for a single use.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #1368 on: August 25, 2015, 02:49:34 am »

I was in Ikea at the weekend, and in the discount section they had a couple of the butcher block counter tops with a few dings on the end.  Would make a perfect workbench.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1369 on: August 25, 2015, 12:36:11 pm »
I was in Ikea at the weekend, and in the discount section they had a couple of the butcher block counter tops with a few dings on the end.  Would make a perfect workbench.

A cheap source of solid workbench tops, is used solid-core doors. They are made of glued together wood strips, with masonite laminated on the outsides. Extremely strong and very heavy. Also because they are junk there's no need to worry about messing up the surface.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1370 on: August 25, 2015, 11:20:25 pm »

A cheap source of solid workbench tops, is used solid-core doors. They are made of glued together wood strips, with masonite laminated on the outsides. Extremely strong and very heavy. Also because they are junk there's no need to worry about messing up the surface.

That's what I use for one of my benches :) I use a large 'doorblank' fire door that is about 2.15m x 0.95m and it's about 45mm thick.

As you say, they can be very heavy! Some blank firedoors can weigh 75kg! I think mine weighs about 35kg and it is a really solid construction and a good thickness and it has a really nice finished outer layer like a regular door. I think it cost about £60.

You can get some cheaper doorblanks that aren't as strong if you use them as a bench though. Some aren't designed to have lots of weight in the middle as they are only really meant to block fire. It took a lot of web research to find this one and I ended up buying it from a local depot that had them in stock. Definitely one of my better purchases :)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:10:20 am by G0HZU »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1371 on: August 26, 2015, 01:22:33 am »
My bench begins with a 7' executive desk that is 42" deep. The desk is up on blocks since the orginal legs wouldn't support a third of the weight it has on it now.
24" deep shelves 6' long are held up with home made spacers made from 2X4s.
Painted my special shade of Candy Apple Flat Black.

I paid $60.00 US for the desk, getting it home would have been a problem but the used office furniture store delivered it for free.
There is all kinds of potential good deals for workbenchs out there just waiting to be had.

Sue AF6LJ

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #1372 on: August 26, 2015, 01:26:42 am »
Love the mallet.  8)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #1373 on: August 26, 2015, 01:54:28 am »
Love the mallet.  8)

we cal it the irish air cooled fine adjusting tool here
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1374 on: August 26, 2015, 03:13:41 am »
My bench begins with a 7' executive desk that is 42" deep. The desk is up on blocks since the orginal legs wouldn't support a third of the weight it has on it now.
24" deep shelves 6' long are held up with home made spacers made from 2X4s.
Painted my special shade of Candy Apple Flat Black.

I paid $60.00 US for the desk, getting it home would have been a problem but the used office furniture store delivered it for free.
There is all kinds of potential good deals for workbenchs out there just waiting to be had.
Is that a halli sitting on the end of your desk?
If you want to get rid of all that obsolete stuff above your desk let me know. :)
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf