Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3087058 times)

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4000 on: January 12, 2016, 01:09:05 pm »
What iceberg?  Who's sinking?
The orchestra's still playing, so everything must be ok!   ;)
Just one question .... where are the lifeboats?
You give batteriser too much credit, this is not a titanic company, more an inflatable rowingboat which is leaking air and making water  :)

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4001 on: January 12, 2016, 01:34:20 pm »

The question is... who or what will sink it? Who is going to be that magical iceberg will hit?

What iceberg?  Who's sinking?

The orchestra's still playing, so everything must be ok!   ;)

Just one question .... where are the lifeboats?
And there may not be enough, someone is going to the bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4002 on: January 12, 2016, 01:54:44 pm »
I disagree. I think many people will be so excited about owning a world-changing technology they'll instantly grab a flashlight (or whatever) and test how long it runs. They've drunk the advertising kool-aid, they'll be expecting it to go for at least a week.
And I have to disagree with that.  The general public (not the engineering crowd) would put these into their remotes, clocks, cordless mice, whatever and then convince themselves that they worked because batteries in those things don't die in a timeframe that's easily measurable.

And I disagree. A lot of Batterisers will have been bought by bloggers and people who genuinely get through a lot of batteries.

More importantly, they will convince themselves that they actually do work because they spent good money of them.  These are probably the same people that continually buy into the infomercial crap on TV.  I would be highly surprised if any of them do any kind of quantitative measurements at all.  Why would they?  They saw the video where the GPS unit lasted 5 times as long!  There's your proof.
Batteriser is much more objective than abdominal exercisers, etc. With most infomercial products it's very easy for people to blame themselves for not following the rules, not doing it every day, etc.

Offline Barny

• Frequent Contributor
  • I'm from Austria, not Australia ;)
« Reply #4003 on: January 12, 2016, 02:15:21 pm »
Within a week or two of shipping, there will be a huge database of products with before/after testing.
It needs to be done right though.
The real test is not so much with and without batteriser, it's without batteriser, and then how much extra time the product gets with the Batteriser on those "dead" batteries.
This is the when their whole 800% BS will come crashing down. It'll be a few 10's of percent at best with most products, with many (majority?) in the single digit percentage if not negative.
And that's if the product even works reliably and fits, which they have had problems on the prototype units with.

How can it be negative? If the bare battery is "dead" and it still doesn't work any longer with the batteriser attached, that would be 0% at worst, but not negative.

McBryce.
But only, when you put the Butteriser on emty cells.
If you put the Butteriser on fresh cells, there is a high chance to get negative.
Specially if you use it in an remote, clock or other low power device.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4004 on: January 12, 2016, 02:40:19 pm »
Within a week or two of shipping, there will be a huge database of products with before/after testing.
It needs to be done right though.
The real test is not so much with and without batteriser, it's without batteriser, and then how much extra time the product gets with the Batteriser on those "dead" batteries.
This is the when their whole 800% BS will come crashing down. It'll be a few 10's of percent at best with most products, with many (majority?) in the single digit percentage if not negative.
And that's if the product even works reliably and fits, which they have had problems on the prototype units with.

How can it be negative? If the bare battery is "dead" and it still doesn't work any longer with the batteriser attached, that would be 0% at worst, but not negative.

McBryce.
But only, when you put the Butteriser on emty cells.
If you put the Butteriser on fresh cells, there is a high chance to get negative.
Specially if you use it in an remote, clock or other low power device.

Yes, and now read again what Dave said: "The real test is not so much with and without batteriser, it's without batteriser, and then how much extra time the product gets with the Batteriser on those "dead" batteries.
This is the when their whole 800% BS will come crashing down. It'll be a few 10's of percent at best with most products, with many (majority?) in the single digit percentage if not negative."

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline lpickup

• Regular Contributor
  • Uncle Bobby Dazzler
« Reply #4005 on: January 12, 2016, 02:52:59 pm »
And I disagree. A lot of Batterisers will have been bought by bloggers and people who genuinely get through a lot of batteries.

If there are even 1000 bloggers out of the 7400 or so that backed the project I would be highly surprised.  I think the number of bloggers and people that bought it to debunk it is probably in the 50-100 range.  I have to think that people that are intelligent and motivated enough to do an A-B comparison (but didn't buy into it specifically to debunk it) would see that the product was BS in the first place and not waste their money.  But hey, I'm just speculating here.  I could be completely wrong.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #4006 on: January 12, 2016, 04:00:43 pm »
The next update will of course include the obligatory "well earned xmas break" message, and "we are now hard back at work delivering the best possible quality product for you".
And if they hang out long enough, the good'ol reliable Chinese new year is Feb 8th-15th or so  :-+
And if they can last beyond mid Feb, the next excuse will probably be about a shortage of staff at the factory after Chinese New Year because workers didn't return after visiting their home town.  Seen these excuses trotted out time and time again...

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4007 on: January 12, 2016, 04:13:10 pm »

If there are even 1000 bloggers out of the 7400 or so that backed the project I would be highly surprised.  I think the number of bloggers and people that bought it to debunk it is probably in the 50-100 range.  I have to think that people that are intelligent and motivated enough to do an A-B comparison (but didn't buy into it specifically to debunk it) would see that the product was BS in the first place and not waste their money.  But hey, I'm just speculating here.  I could be completely wrong.

It's moot. They aren't going to deliver anything. "Delivery" isn't in the plan.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4008 on: January 12, 2016, 05:43:12 pm »
Yes, and now read again what Dave said: "The real test is not so much with and without batteriser, it's without batteriser, and then how much extra time the product gets with the Batteriser on those "dead" batteries.
This is the when their whole 800% BS will come crashing down. It'll be a few 10's of percent at best with most products, with many (majority?) in the single digit percentage if not negative."

McBryce.

If you get a low battery warning, fit batterisers and the product no longer works that would be a negative gain wouldn't it?

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #4009 on: January 12, 2016, 06:30:25 pm »
Guys is it me getting old or were the much more pages on this thread, like 260 instead of 160?
 :-//
Where is that smoke coming from?

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4010 on: January 12, 2016, 06:46:19 pm »
Guys is it me getting old or were the much more pages on this thread, like 260 instead of 160?
Depends on browser settings I guess. I use the tapatalk app and it shows 408 pages :)

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4011 on: January 12, 2016, 06:58:40 pm »
Depends on browser settings I guess. I use the tapatalk app and it shows 408 pages :)

yup, the web based forum (with default posts-per-page setting) was up to 292, and now we are at 160.  Guess Dave or another mod had a clearout

Offline jippie

• Supporter
« Reply #4012 on: January 12, 2016, 07:03:39 pm »

Earlier today I was at page 263, now I'm at page 163, it's not you.

Maybe the server got batterised, and we're tapping into the 80% unused posts per page?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:05:16 pm by jippie »

Offline lpickup

• Regular Contributor
  • Uncle Bobby Dazzler
« Reply #4013 on: January 12, 2016, 07:04:45 pm »
yup, the web based forum (with default posts-per-page setting) was up to 292, and now we are at 160.  Guess Dave or another mod had a clearout
or the Batteroo guys somehow broke in and did their post deletion trick!

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #4014 on: January 12, 2016, 07:06:51 pm »
25 messages per page times 163 pages makes 4075 messages.
This does about match the reply number in the header of each message.
Only explaination is that the pages contained 15 messages before, now 25.
I never noticed, and they don't look too long to me as they are now.

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4015 on: January 12, 2016, 07:08:12 pm »

Yep, the default was recently changed.
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Chipguy

• Supporter
« Reply #4016 on: January 12, 2016, 07:10:40 pm »
Yep, the default was recently changed.
Yup, my conclusion as well. The number of replies fit the number of messages times the number of pages.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4017 on: January 12, 2016, 08:27:33 pm »

Correct. The setting was changed in the forum software, as mentioned in another thread. No posts have been deleted.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4018 on: January 12, 2016, 11:47:03 pm »

Correct. The setting was changed in the forum software, as mentioned in another thread. No posts have been deleted.

Boooooooo!

Don't let facts and reality get in the way of a good conspiracy theory!

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4019 on: January 13, 2016, 09:17:56 am »

McBryce.

If you get a low battery warning, fit batterisers and the product no longer works that would be a negative gain wouldn't it?

Yes, but low battery isn't dead. Dead is when the device no longer turns on.

McBryce.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4020 on: January 13, 2016, 12:29:21 pm »

Yes, but low battery isn't dead. Dead is when the device no longer turns on.

McBryce.

But many people would change the batteries at that point.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4021 on: January 13, 2016, 12:54:17 pm »
Of course, but that's not what Dave suggested as a sensible test of the Batterisers capabilities. Which is what I was originally commenting on.

McBryce.

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4022 on: January 13, 2016, 01:34:58 pm »
Quick roundup:

Stinging comments on Facebook:

More unrest on IGG:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:36:56 pm by quad »

Offline daqq

• Super Contributor
    • My site
« Reply #4023 on: January 13, 2016, 02:45:56 pm »
The shitstorm nears... I'll get out my special popcorn.
Believe it or not, pointy haired people do exist!
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4024 on: January 13, 2016, 02:48:32 pm »
I needed a top-up...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf