Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3083639 times)

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #5975 on: October 29, 2016, 11:38:11 pm »
I can just imagine what the next update will be...

Dear friends. While we have been busy shipping our Batterisers to our backers, it appears due to a system error some backers did not receive an e-mail to confirm their shipping information. If this happened to you, e-mail noreply@batteriser.com and our warehouse team we'll get this fixed up for you! As mentioned in the last update some of our backers are already enjoying their Batterisers.

That should buy them another month or two and hopefully by then, a few more people will have forgotten all about it.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5976 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:10 am »
Kentli AA step-down converter can handle 2000mA though.

Sure, but that's a LOT bigger than a Batteriser.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5977 on: October 30, 2016, 09:11:16 am »
Yes, they most certainly have changed the campaign title to "significantly"
The x8 claim still remains in the campaign below, and on the website.
The title and URL used to be:
indiegogo.com/projects/batteriser-extend-battery-life-by-up-to-8x/x/11596658#/story

Offline omgfire

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5978 on: October 30, 2016, 09:28:04 am »
Sure, but that's a LOT bigger than a Batteriser.
That's not a 18650 cell. Kentli comes in AA (2000mA) and AAA (1000mA) sizes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:34:28 am by omgfire »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5979 on: October 30, 2016, 09:47:30 am »
IMPORTANT:
Once people get these things I think it's very important to do controlled testing on as many product as people can get their hands on.
I've set up Google spreadsheet that the public can edit here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18K9c2YAT0d0QABGYGpzItbvDcgfAQCRUtloEzzfXADU/edit?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:52:44 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: samgab

Online BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5980 on: October 30, 2016, 09:50:29 am »

Are those Vietnamese mobs hired by Bob are allowed ?  :-DD
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 09:54:16 am by BravoV »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5981 on: October 30, 2016, 09:54:12 am »
Are those mobs from Vietnamese hired by Bob are allowed ?  :-DD

I was concerned about that, maybe it should be invite only so I can control who edits it?
Or maybe people post in a dedicated forum thread and I keep the spreadsheet up to date?

Offline jc101

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5982 on: October 30, 2016, 10:41:24 am »
Perhaps with a quick pic of the setup too, so no pic no data gets put into the spreadsheet.  That may discourage 'bots' from trying to skew the data?

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5983 on: October 30, 2016, 11:01:02 am »
Can't remember if someone posted this, but here is a pic of the new ones branded with "Batteroo". It's old pic - July 31 2016

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5984 on: October 30, 2016, 10:53:34 pm »
Are those mobs from Vietnamese hired by Bob are allowed ?  :-DD

I was concerned about that, maybe it should be invite only so I can control who edits it?
Or maybe people post in a dedicated forum thread and I keep the spreadsheet up to date?

Yeah, I think it shouldn't be open to tampering and sabotage. There have been at least one or two people in the Batteroo supporters camp who have not been above nasty and immature tactics and methods along the way, as we are all well aware.

But I can't WAIT to see the first reports of forum members receiving their units, and the first ACTUAL scientific field test results coming in.  :popcorn:

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5985 on: October 30, 2016, 11:15:51 pm »
So you're expecting some of these things to actually be delivered to real people?   :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5986 on: October 30, 2016, 11:51:13 pm »
Why not?   ;)

Let's play the game!

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5987 on: October 31, 2016, 12:06:20 am »
So you're expecting some of these things to actually be delivered to real people?   :-DD
They originally had optimistic goals that they won't meet, but has it been claimed they can't manufacture something with more modest specs? I thought the question is "how Modest?".

I really really really really hope they do deliver these things and Dave gets a few in his hands.  That will likely be his best video ever - he may retire on the back of his Batterooiser Magnum Opus, how could he ever beat that?
There will also by loads of videos from other engineers running tests in their labs, and even more videos from non-engineers with nothing more than consumer devices and clocks.  It would be a joy to behold!

But as has been mentioned by Dave and many others, as soon as these things get into the wild, the game is up.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:08:43 am by Delta »

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5988 on: October 31, 2016, 02:29:00 am »
They originally had optimistic goals that they won't meet, but has it been claimed they can't manufacture something with more modest specs? I thought the question is "how Modest?".

Yes, this is the thing. If the Batteroo happens to increase battery life by 20%, they'll take that as a huge victory! They'll say the critics said it couldn't be done! They'll reframe 20% as "very significant" and then if everyone used Batteroo around the world, globally, it would lead to x amount of less batteries in landfill etc etc. But 20% ain't no 800%.

The question is as you stated, how modest can these gains be to call it a victory? Surely the Batteroo will work in some cases. Let's ignore the low level battery indicator, thin sharp stainless steel, potential shorting issues, long term battery drain... as they'll be glossed over because we're all most concerned about short term performance claims.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:31:40 am by quad »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5989 on: October 31, 2016, 03:43:59 am »
The question is as you stated, how modest can these gains be to call it a victory?

In the world of spin control, marketing, hype and expectations management - they aren't going to have to show very much at all.  As long as there are some identifiable situations where there is a positive result - however small - the trumpets will sound and the banners held high.

The promise of 800% will be forgotten among the din created by the Batteroo faithful shouting from the rooftops: "It's here - and it works!!"

The fundamental issue of how well it works is a mere detail that will be glossed over - conveniently ignored ... and the engineering community will be condemned as being short-sighted and arrogant.  It's a marketing opportunity that is certainly going to get a lot of takers ... from the faithful, the hopeful and the ignorant - not to mention those who would never admit they were wrong.

IMHO, it will take several months for the hype to settle down and by then the impact of its performance being less than impressive will have melted away.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5990 on: October 31, 2016, 03:48:05 am »
The question I would like to pose is this ....

Presuming they do ship and supply the campaign supporters with their promised Batteroos .... what then?

Will they be available in stores?  Will they be available online only?  Or will they fade into oblivion?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #5991 on: October 31, 2016, 04:09:42 am »
The question I would like to pose is this ....

Presuming they do ship and supply the campaign supporters with their promised Batteroos .... what then?

Will they be available in stores?  Will they be available online only?  Or will they fade into oblivion?

In addition, if we do ever see these things on the street other than in recycle bins some device manufacturers may be required to amend their particular product specifications, or further still declare in documentation that the Batter-out sleeves should not be used under any circumstances or product operation and perhaps even warranty status may be compromised. 

You would think that Batter-who out of common decency could at least send Dave a few samples considering the substantial promotional material contained in this epic thread alone, not to mention the additional stuff that a Google search turns up because of people's diligent and tireless efforts, they are a selfish ungrateful lot as far as I can see.   ::)

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 04:31:57 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline d-smes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5992 on: October 31, 2016, 11:31:24 am »
OMG they are shipping!

Check out a key sentence in the third paragraph- 
We are working on an automated solution that will allow you to leave reviews online.
  In other words, a keyword search where reviews containing "crap", "fail", "ripoff", etc. go to the trash and reviews containing "wonderful", "I got 800%", etc. get featured on website and in new promotional campaign. 

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #5993 on: October 31, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
Wait until some genius puts a Batterpoo on a Lithium cell, and it goes off in the hold of a plane, or some child's toy.  We'll have a whole new circus to enjoy!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5994 on: October 31, 2016, 01:18:07 pm »
There is also a video on instagram. Kinda "cryptic" though. No pcb shown or the product in action.

https://instagram.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t50.2886-16/14091521_1059354024148962_793596247_n.mp4

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5995 on: October 31, 2016, 01:29:33 pm »
Wait until some genius puts a Batterpoo on a Lithium cell, and it goes off in the hold of a plane, or some child's toy.  We'll have a whole new circus to enjoy!

If you're referring to one of these, it seems that this is BOUND to happen. Classic scenario: it's the middle of the night, the torch has dead batteries... you're not thinking about whether they're lithium or not...

Seriously... what happens or could likely happen if one of these of these is inserted?

Edit: LOL, just noticed the Energiser packaging says 9X Longer Lasting.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 01:36:53 pm by quad »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5996 on: October 31, 2016, 01:32:53 pm »
There is also a video on instagram. Kinda "cryptic" though. No pcb shown or the product in action.

https://instagram.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t50.2886-16/14091521_1059354024148962_793596247_n.mp4

Alexander.

That 'video' is a joke.  Seriously.  A few seconds, no commentary and no point.

All it could ever claim to show is they have a sleeve with the new name on it.

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5997 on: November 01, 2016, 06:53:28 am »
Didn't Batteroo promise they were going to INTERNATIONAL EXPRESS [edit: exact wording they used is in my post below] deliver the products as a way to make up for the all the delays, at a significant expense to themselves, and a 9V version to boot???

... How long can we reasonably give Batteroo before we can say they have not shipped anything on the date they claimed? 

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 07:01:15 am by quad »

Offline quad

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5998 on: November 01, 2016, 06:57:50 am »
Here are the specific promises!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5999 on: November 01, 2016, 07:00:25 am »
Damn, I came here thinking someone had actually got one. Disappointed again  :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf