Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3083844 times)

Offline apis

• Super Contributor
  • Hobbyist
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #4850 on: March 24, 2016, 08:28:39 am »
It is not against the law to have a ridiculous idea you think might work, be technically wrong about the claims, ignore the experts (because you think you are the expert), be horribly inept at executing on it, and then still having hope when it all falls apart.
It's not illegal to be stupid but if there is malicious intent (mens rea) it would be illegal I suspect*. Might be difficult to prove which is which though, beyond reasonable doubt. (* I'm in no way a lawyer)
It's the reason they never shipped the media kits as promised. Once they ship a single unit the game is up.
I had forgotten about the media kits :-DD

Offline AmmoJammo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4851 on: March 24, 2016, 09:23:55 am »
Don't forget, they're still selling a non existent product via their webpage..

Where people aren't just throwing money at an idea in the hope it goes in to production..

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4852 on: March 24, 2016, 09:31:36 am »
Hi,

I stumbled across www.TradeMarkia.com. One of the sections that they have is Trademark Bullies. Here is the listing for Energizer:

http://www.trademarkia.com/opposition/bully-energizer?fn=energizer

You can see that Energizer is contesting or has contested the following:

Energize America

Goingup - On the grounds that have used 'keeps going'

Batteriser

EnerStation

Luxury Energized - In the context of used automobile dealership

Dermal Energizer - Context spray bottles for use with personal care products in the nature of facial, body and hand sprays

Broadbeam - On the grounds that it is descriptive.

etc..

There is a massive list of Trademarks filed by Energizer:

http://www.trademarkia.com/trademarks-search.aspx?tn=Energizer

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4853 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:29 am »
It's not illegal to be stupid but if there is malicious intent (mens rea) it would be illegal I suspect*. Might be difficult to prove which is which though, beyond reasonable doubt. (* I'm in no way a lawyer)

Impossible to prove unless it's admitted.
Not that anyone is ever going to take them to task legally for it anyway. They know that.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4854 on: March 24, 2016, 12:16:01 pm »
Sorry if this has been posted earlier but can't find it.

Unbelievable!  :o  :scared:  it looks like Batteroo has received an Excellence in Best Practices Awards on a gala.  |O

http://www.office365today.com/news/2016/03/16/8333008.htm

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4855 on: March 24, 2016, 12:31:06 pm »
Yes, Frost and Sullivan is an awards-for-money company, kinda like those "Who's who" books.

Online Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #4856 on: March 24, 2016, 12:38:35 pm »
Yes it was pointed out a page or two back and if you Google F & S Bullshit there are a few good articles that give a clear indication of how they create their own award categories for particular clients for nothing more than a licence fee, also some very good insights from pissed off employees.

A clear example that anyone can walk into a trophy shop, make a purchase and then plonk it on their mantelpiece....... ::)

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #4857 on: March 24, 2016, 01:20:23 pm »
Sorry if this has been posted earlier but can't find it.

Unbelievable!  :o  :scared:  it looks like Batteroo has received an Excellence in Best Practices Awards on a gala.  |O

http://www.office365today.com/news/2016/03/16/8333008.htm

The more intriguing thing is that company who won such crap award really love to show them. I remember the first company that I work for, when they won such an award, they proudly hang is on a wall to be saw by everyone, and I remember an internal email about it.

No one was dupe in the company, but meh, I never understood that concept (as for my colleagues)
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4858 on: March 24, 2016, 02:30:34 pm »
It is a self paid recognition for yourself price? That is sad, so sad, an indication on its own that something is not right so it seems.

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4859 on: March 24, 2016, 05:53:01 pm »
Don't forget, they're still selling a non existent product via their webpage..

Where people aren't just throwing money at an idea in the hope it goes in to production..

I've wondered about that. If you exclude the indiegogo saga of crowdfunding, the batteriser website belongs to them and is on display, collecting money with no guarantees of delivery. Hell, even production is in question. How long can one keep it up.  :-//

Offline chris_leyson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4860 on: March 24, 2016, 06:13:44 pm »
Only a week to go and we are into April. What are the odds on an "earthquake in Taiwan" excuse coming up pretty soon.

Offline g.lewarne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4861 on: March 24, 2016, 07:07:42 pm »
More meaningless non-committal drivel.  Also, who are "they"

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4862 on: March 24, 2016, 08:06:29 pm »
Only a week to go and we are into April. What are the odds on an "earthquake in Taiwan" excuse coming up pretty soon.

My prediction/guess/whatever (speculation)..... the CM will 'unexpectedly' fail to meet the shipping date....but the last update transferred responsibility to the CM  as a result of batterers teams 'diligence'.... therefore, such an event wont be batterisers fault.... just some CM in some far off country.....

"two of our executive team members have been in China and Taiwan working very closely with our contract manufacturer these past few weeks. As a result of this productive collaboration and our team’s diligence, our Contract Manufacturer has confirmed their commitment to ship Batterisers this coming March."
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:11:24 pm by ChunkyPastaSauce »

Online Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #4863 on: March 25, 2016, 01:23:45 am »

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4864 on: March 25, 2016, 04:54:02 am »
From an alleged Frost & Sullivan Roohparvar interview dated July 2015:
VS: What kind of customer feedback mechanism do you have in place to ensure that the product development and innovation matches market and customer needs?
  BR: From the start, Batteriser is committed to maintaining a strong online presence, which will allow for customers to contact us whenever they’d like. Consumers will be able to reach out to us through our web site, via e-mail, and via social media like Facebook and twitter.
  Further, one of the critical elements of our crowdfunding campaign is early shipping of product and direct feedback access to the Batteriser team, allowing for an active dialogue between our team and our early-adopters.
  As we enter broader distribution, we will continue to take consumer feedback very seriously, by scaling up our CRM tools to facilitate swift communication.

Time to scale up your CRM tools, Bob... [cricket noises]

The full article here: https://www.frost.com/sublib/display-market-insight.do?id=295404655

Allow me to translate:

"From the start, Batteriser is committed to maintaining a strong online presence..."
It's an online campaign started on an internet website.

"...which will allow for customers to contact us whenever they’d like. Consumers will be able to reach out to us through our web site, via e-mail, and via social media like Facebook and twitter."
Our customers can contact us whenever they like, but they aren't guaranteed a reply from us. In fact, they can reach out all they like, we probably won't read any of their correspondence. On the off-chance we do and we don't like what we read, we will continue maintaining our strong online presence by logging onto the internet and deleting their posts as we see fit.

"Further, one of the critical elements of our crowdfunding campaign is early shipping of product and direct feedback access to the Batteriser team, allowing for an active dialogue between our team and our early-adopters."
Our "product" is make-believe coupled with lies and vague "updates" (thus enhancing our "strong online presence"). We've used the internal code name of "project bullshit". We've been committed to shipping our product of 'bullshit' right from the start and will continue to honour that commitment. Oh, also, our "team" is just a couple of blokes, we just like to use the word "team" to make ourselves appear far bigger and more important than we actually are. Technically it fits the dictionary definition, check it with our legal team if you like.

"As we enter broader distribution, we will continue to take consumer feedback very seriously, by scaling up our CRM tools to facilitate swift communication."
As more people get the shits with us and we continue spreading bullshit, we are further enhancing our "strong online presence" by removing even more posts than we do now in a timelier fashion. Also, we've used all the money already to buy new toys for ourselves, faster internet connections and holidays to the beach.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:57:34 am by Halcyon »

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4865 on: March 25, 2016, 07:27:41 am »
Someone stated he was told shipping is now moved to late April

and

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 07:31:29 am by ChunkyPastaSauce »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4866 on: March 25, 2016, 09:09:44 am »
My prediction/guess/whatever (speculation)..... the CM will 'unexpectedly' fail to meet the shipping date....but the last update transferred responsibility to the CM  as a result of batterers teams 'diligence'.... therefore, such an event wont be batterisers fault.... just some CM in some far off country.....
"two of our executive team members have been in China and Taiwan working very closely with our contract manufacturer these past few weeks. As a result of this productive collaboration and our team’s diligence, our Contract Manufacturer has confirmed their commitment to ship Batterisers this coming March."

That "their" immediately stood out when I read that. It was inserted very deliberately I'm sure.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #4867 on: March 25, 2016, 09:25:53 am »
Yes it was pointed out a page or two back and if you Google F & S Bullshit there are a few good articles that give a clear indication of how they create their own award categories for particular clients for nothing more than a licence fee, also some very good insights from pissed off employees.

First cabs off the rank:
http://ipvm.com/reports/should-you-trust-frost-&-sullivan-awards
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/frost-sullivan-c272270.html
https://billanddave.wordpress.com/2007/06/03/frost-sullivan-award/

Trigger warning:
http://ww2.frost.com/about/best-practices-recognition/impact/

Frost & Sullivan Best Practices Awards are independent, research backed accolades that identify the market's true leaders and innovators.

The Awards provide:

Independent Validation and Endorsement 
Augmented Branding
Bolstered Customer Outreach and Media Attention
Distinguished Recognition of Unique Products/Services in the Market
Validation of Employees' Accomplishments
Attractive Insights into the Award Recipient's Value to Customers, Investors, and Executive Talent

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #4868 on: March 25, 2016, 09:37:58 am »

That "their" immediately stood out when I read that. It was inserted very deliberately I'm sure.

The teams 'diligence' part stood out to me as well ... 'due diligence' is part of US corporate law. Also, contracts you may sign with another party often state you need to do due diligence.

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4869 on: March 25, 2016, 04:07:19 pm »
I am assuming that Batteriser checks this forum from time to time, so:

Bob, It would really calm people down if you show evidence that you are doing something with their investment. A simple, quick, picture of the Batteriser on the production line would do you a world of good.

... and I'm sure I'm going to get some commentary from the locals....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:31:02 pm by akohler »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4870 on: March 25, 2016, 05:05:03 pm »
I am assuming that Batteriser checks this forum from time to time, so:

Bob, It would really calm people down if you show evidence that you are doing something with their investment. A simple, quick, picture of the Batteriser on the production line would do you a world of good.

... and I'm sure I'm going to get some commentary from the locals....

How does the hand up the bum feel?

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4871 on: March 25, 2016, 05:06:19 pm »

Ummmm... that would require him to actually be doing something.

Which he isn't.

I don't know how many times this has to be pointed out to people, but: Batteroo aren't manufacturing anything and have no intention of manufacturing anything.

I mean: Why waste $100,000 (or whatever) on manufacturing something that will be the end of their little game. That would be stupid. I'm sure they'd prefer to spend that money on new suits and fancy lunches with potential victims^Winvestors.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 05:07:56 pm by Fungus »

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4872 on: March 25, 2016, 05:21:51 pm »

How does the hand up the bum feel?

What in the world does that mean?

Offline akohler

• Contributor
« Reply #4873 on: March 25, 2016, 05:25:32 pm »

Ummmm... that would require him to actually be doing something.

Which he isn't.

I don't know how many times this has to be pointed out to people, but: Batteroo aren't manufacturing anything and have no intention of manufacturing anything.

I mean: Why waste $100,000 (or whatever) on manufacturing something that will be the end of their little game. That would be stupid. I'm sure they'd prefer to spend that money on new suits and fancy lunches with potential victims^Winvestors.

Yes, of course, I know, no kidding, duh. Thanks for spewing out what we all already know about Bob and Batterer.  Way to state the obvious.

I am just trying to be diplomatic with batteriser, perhaps to encourage them to calm people down without everyone else responding with the obvious which you were so quick to do.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4874 on: March 25, 2016, 05:27:22 pm »
I am just trying to be diplomatic with batteriser

:-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf