Author Topic: FranLab is getting evicted  (Read 259948 times)

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Re: FranLab is getting evicted
« Reply #1525 on: December 18, 2022, 06:44:33 pm »
Saw Fran's live Patreon show today.
TLDR;
Yep, daily views are down 90% from Sept when she was on the hampster wheel doing a video per day.
But even now being back on the hampster wheel the views have not recovered. Her channel has basically tanked completely  :(
Lost half the Patrons she gained during the big push a few months ago, and continuing to drop, so it seems that plan didn't work. There just aren't enough patrons coming in to replace the ones leaving, not even close.
She will cancel doing the live Patreon shows as she realises that Patrons just don't engage, only like a dozen viewing today. (Myself and other Youtubers see the same thing BTW, Patrons do no engage with content, they just use it as a donation mechanism).
She has now realised that doing things just to please the Patrons didn't work.

Problem is now that if the views don't recover, and the algorithm doesn't stop punishing her for some reason, then the channel will wither and die. The graph she showed was brutal, the algorithm really seems to be punishing her.

Rent on storage is $1000/month which is much less than I thought. But main problems are taxes and that rent increases are going up like 10% every year. They don't have fixed rental agreements like we do here. Still claims Philly is the cheapest big city in the US.

Unless views recover, I suspect that even if she ditched the storage unit and the workshop, and only had the apartment lab, she would still struggle with just the Patreon and Youtube income.
Doesn't sound good at all  :(

I'm disappointed but not surprised. Frankly I stopped watching her videos when they turned into soap operas about her personal life and financial situation more than presentations about interesting technology. I suspect a lot of viewers were similarly turned off by that and have gotten weary of the repeating cycle. Loads of people went the extra mile trying to help her but now they are realizing the pattern is just going to keep repeating. I've tried to help various people out in the past and observed there are some that just need a boost and then they get their life together and keep going while others coast to a stop as soon as you stop pushing. Fran appears to be one of the latter. She is so dead set on operating within certain very rigid constraints that failure is inevitable, why should I support that?

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1526 on: December 18, 2022, 07:10:24 pm »
She is so dead set on operating within certain very rigid constraints that failure is inevitable, why should I support that?

It is not just a matter of, WHY help? But more a matter of, I don't think it is readily possible to help such people.  But there could be ways, so I don't want to close my mind to solutions, too easily.

The fundamental gist of it, seems to boil down to.  They are free to make their own decisions and do what ever they like (where legal etc).  Going on to them too much, to change their ways, especially when it DOESN'T directly affect oneself.

Can often be counterproductive, and simply make the person more stubborn and determined, to follow their ways, than ever.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 07:12:14 pm by MK14 »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1527 on: December 18, 2022, 07:21:53 pm »
Frankly I stopped watching her videos when they turned into soap operas about her personal life and financial situation more than presentations about interesting technology.
I stopped watching jpheisz' (I Build It, etc.) channels, because he so often mentioned what kind of videos he'd like to make but won't, because they wouldn't bring him enough Youtube income to make it worthwhile.  It somehow made me feel slightly guilty/complicit as if I was being unfair, as a viewer: being part of the reason for him having to make videos that make him money, instead of videos that he'd like to make.

With close friends and family, such social pressure often works, but on Youtube, it seems more likely to backfire horribly.

There is a strange but interesting social component at play here, wrt. Youtube and other media channels, and I'd be willing to wager it also has to do with how patrons support content, even when they don't actually watch (all/most) of that content.  It's not just charity (or being socially responsible adult, supporting those doing things you want done, or being people you want to exist), there is also a fairness/reciprocality component to it (you make things I enjoy, and I feel the need to compensate/reward you for your efforts).  But also a certain type of familiarity (when the creator opens up), and anonymity (because the creator cannot know what we do, except only statistically), especially when users/patrons/viewers never comment or chat, or use pseudonyms like myself.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 07:24:50 pm by Nominal Animal »

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #1528 on: December 18, 2022, 07:45:01 pm »
I just stop watching all the channels that constantly whine about "the algorithm". I don't care, it is your job to figure it out. I too have a job that sometimes sucks and I don't always get to do exactly what I want.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: tom66, nctnico, bitwelder, bson, ebastler, Fgrir, MK14

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1529 on: December 18, 2022, 08:02:34 pm »
I just stop watching all the channels that constantly whine about "the algorithm". I don't care, it is your job to figure it out. I too have a job that sometimes sucks and I don't always get to do exactly what I want.
Agreed. It is like complaining a soldering iron is hot.  :)
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1530 on: December 18, 2022, 10:55:16 pm »
By some extraordinary coincidence even Mustie1 did a Q&A about Youtube and the Algorithm in his latest video today. Very unusual for him to do that. He did it whilst rebuilding a carburetor. He also added that he has bills to pay on storage and shop space he uses for his youtube work. So in that respect he is a bit like Fran.

That says to me every youtuber has the algorithm in mind.

We all do if it's our full time job, or a serious part of our income.
Like Fran I also have 4 spaces (lab, home, two storage units). Difference is I own them instead of rent.
I was paying close to AU$40k/year for a few years on rent on the bigger space, and I had a full time employee, and at one point the business ran out of money. Simple cash flow issue. I recovered and it wasn't a big deal, but I talked about it in some video and on the amp hour. It's one of the reason why I scaled back to the smaller lab I own, and I haven't replaced David2 who left.

So I think I'm as close to Frans situation as anyone and here are the differences:
1) I own my spaces, not rent. Fran can't own due to all the reasons discussed, so she is stuck renting.
2) I have additional income sources through branded meters. I've tried to talk Fran into this before but she said logistically it's very difficult shipping stuff from where she is.
3) I have a forum and website with additional advertising income

I think we all know she need to reduce expenses, but I think she needs to look into an additional income source as well.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1531 on: December 18, 2022, 11:01:54 pm »
One thing she mentioned that caught my ear, and also someone commented on the video about it too, is that she said she bannes all "trolls" who leave negative comments.
I'm sure she gets a lot of horrible stuff, but she did mention that she is effectively banning viewers, and that doing this might be contributing to the algorithm punishing her.
Probably not the best approach if you need the get the numbers back up.
She is getting crushed by the algorithm though for probably more than one reason. I wouldn't like to be in that position.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, MK14

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: December 18, 2022, 11:15:53 pm »
One thing she mentioned that caught my ear, and also someone commented on the video about it too, is that she said she bannes all "trolls" who leave negative comments.
I'm sure she gets a lot of horrible stuff, but she did mention that she is effectively banning viewers, and that doing this might be contributing to the algorithm punishing her.
Probably not the best approach if you need the get the numbers back up.
She is getting crushed by the algorithm though for probably more than one reason. I wouldn't like to be in that position.

Fran, seems to treat their business(s), much more like as if they were part of her hobby and personal possessions, rather than as a separate business entity.  I think that is part of the cause, of much of the problems.

Because (as you just said), unlike a personal hobby, which doesn't need to make any money and you can, just about do what you like with it.  A business, needs to make a profit (or at least break even, unless someone wants to chuck cash at it, from their own resources), and its cash flow and costs, need to be sensibly managed, keeping emotions largely out of running it.

On the other hand, I don't know Fran (personally), and I could be jumping to conclusions, from my relatively limited amount of information, about the situation.  But I'd prefer Fran to get the best possible business advise, and I DON'T THINK, I'd be the one, to give it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 11:24:07 pm by MK14 »

Online Nominal Animal

• Super Contributor
    • My home page and email address
« Reply #1533 on: December 18, 2022, 11:26:26 pm »
I think we all know she need to reduce expenses, but I think she needs to look into an additional income source as well.
It's not just income, it's important for ones long-term well-being, too, to be aware of and have several options for the future.

If you are hard set on one specific path, rejecting all alternatives, the stress can become crushing, overwhelming.  There is no need for that, because us technical people have plenty of opportunities to thrive.  It all starts from knowing oneself, and what makes one happy and productive.

I really see Fran squeezing herself into a tighter and tighter corner, rejecting all alternatives, because the ground looks scary and this here is familiar and feels safe.

The following users thanked this post: MK14, james_s

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1534 on: December 18, 2022, 11:27:25 pm »
That is a good point. I typically solve lack of money by making more money. Not by spending less. But I'm prepared to make radical changes.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2022, 11:30:40 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: December 18, 2022, 11:35:24 pm »
That is a good point. I typically solve lack of money by making more money. Not by spending less.

Yes, but if you have got, unnecessarily huge outgoings, reducing/changing/eliminating those big costs, can also be part of the solution (financially speaking).

E.g. You're paying $4,000 / month, to Hire/Lease an over the top, expensive car, but only earning $2,000 a month.  Ending the car contract, returning the car, and buying a (one off cost) $2,000 cheap, used car.  Might be the best way forward.  If you can get a higher salaried or additional job as well, great.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: December 19, 2022, 12:51:07 am »

At this point I don't think it is possible to reduce expenses enough, she's probably going to have to find a regular job of one sort or another, something that is not all that easy at that age, although if one is willing to work retail or such there are loads of places that can't find enough labor, at least in my area. Last year it took me 45 minutes to find someone at the local big box home center to find someone that was able to cut and thread a piece of iron gas pipe for me. They were that short staffed.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1537 on: December 19, 2022, 12:54:48 am »
That is a good point. I typically solve lack of money by making more money. Not by spending less. But I'm prepared to make radical changes.

A good friend of mine was doing that, and he was always broke. It was when I finally told him he needs to stop focusing on earning more and focus instead on spending less that it finally clicked and he got things in order. It's easy to spend a virtually unlimited amount of money. People that win millions from the lottery are often broke within a few years because they don't grasp how easy it is to spend vast amounts of money.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #1538 on: December 19, 2022, 01:08:26 am »

2) I have additional income sources through branded meters. I've tried to talk Fran into this before but she said logistically it's very difficult shipping stuff from where she is.

That is the lamest excuse ever. The shipping options available in the US are nothing short of amazing and affordable compared to many places. There is also the option of Amazon(I know the percentage they take is painful, but it means much less daily work).
VE7FM

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1539 on: December 19, 2022, 02:09:26 am »
At this point I don't think it is possible to reduce expenses enough, she's probably going to have to find a regular job of one sort or another, something that is not all that easy at that age, although if one is willing to work retail or such there are loads of places that can't find enough labor, at least in my area. Last year it took me 45 minutes to find someone at the local big box home center to find someone that was able to cut and thread a piece of iron gas pipe for me. They were that short staffed.

I see several ways out of this:
1) The views and/or Patreon magically recover and the algorithm gifts her the ability to just continue along for another year or whatever. Which I'm sure she'd do it that happens.
2) Radically lower expenses by moving storage/shop and even apartment. But she has ruled that out, so that's that.
3) Get some extra income by getting into some decent profit margin branded merch or something else. My store for example brings in a huge chunk of my income. She has expressed that this is not easy where she is, but doesn't mean it's not an option.
4) Take paid video sponsorships. Even I'd do this if it meant the difference between keeping the channel alive and going back to a day job.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1540 on: December 19, 2022, 02:20:20 am »
1) The views and/or Patreon magically recover and the algorithm gifts her the ability to just continue along for another year or whatever. Which I'm sure she'd do it that happens.
2) Radically lower expenses by moving storage/shop and even apartment. But she has ruled that out, so that's that.
3) Get some extra income by getting into some decent profit margin branded merch or something else. My store for example brings in a huge chunk of my income. She has expressed that this is not easy where she is, but doesn't mean it's not an option.
4) Take paid video sponsorships. Even I'd do this if it meant the difference between keeping the channel alive and going back to a day job.

I think you are confirming, that the bottom end of the barrel has been reached, and almost nothing is flowing out of it.

1) I think you stated it in a way, which shows it is very unlikely to happen.
2) Already states it is eliminated.  Even if they changed their mind, it is getting late in the day.
3) It is easy to say stuff like that.  But if the viewership has already tanked, vary badly.  It is partly too late, for that to be viable enough.
4) But if the viewership has already fallen off a cliff, and the trend continues.  Sponsors would be reluctant to do it, wouldn't pay much (for low view counts), and would still need arranging.

The thing is, buying a property, does take significant capital, organizing and still needs some kind of income stream (paying off any loans/soaring-interest rates, repair bills, many other costs/bills, etc).  Even if it is potentially less/cheaper, in the longer term, compared to renting.

But as you suggest, maybe things can suddenly go back up again, and perhaps good opportunities will come along.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 02:24:37 am by MK14 »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #1541 on: December 19, 2022, 02:42:52 am »

I think you are confirming, that the bottom end of the barrel has been reached, and almost nothing is flowing out of it.

1) I think you stated it in a way, which shows it is very unlikely to happen.
2) Already states it is eliminated.  Even if they changed their mind, it is getting late in the day.
3) It is easy to say stuff like that.  But if the viewership has already tanked, vary badly.  It is partly too late, for that to be viable enough.
4) But if the viewership has already fallen off a cliff, and the trend continues.  Sponsors would be reluctant to do it, wouldn't pay much (for low view counts), and would still need arranging.

Yes, but you have to plan and play the game as if you are going to win.
I've seen channel way smaller do paid promotion and/or reviews of stuff.

Offline Kasper

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: December 19, 2022, 02:59:29 am »

There are a few youtube channels that are by far my favorite.  I watch every video  sometimes multiple times and I recommend them to friends.

I rarely comment on youtube but for these channels. Sometimes I back them up when people make inaccurate criticism.  Other times I question or disagree with them.  It means I'm interested in what they are saying and I'm offering a tiny bit of knowledge as thanks for the huge amount they've given me.  Sometimes I'm just wondering why they have a different view, wondering if I'm missing something and hoping they'll explain.

I think the most engaged viewers are the ones that will question you.  I'm not sure how Fran differentiates between negative troll, and engaged / inquizative fans but too much sensitivity here could lose some reliable followers.

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, MK14, james_s

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: December 19, 2022, 03:29:52 am »
Yes, but you have to plan and play the game as if you are going to win.

You're right.  Also, if a significant Youtube channel, does a very big sponsorship deal.  E.g. A big oscilloscope giveaway, two free high end ones, per week for a month.  The sponsors, may possibly help significantly advertise the offers/competition/youtube video, themselves.  As really, the more viewers who see it and participate, the bigger the value they get, from those valuable oscilloscopes, they were giving away.

But if such sponsorship deals, only keep Fran afloat, for a few weeks at a time, assuming they stubbornly insist on keeping things, the same as they are now.  I.e. With expensive rentals.  It would only be delaying things.  But it could work out.

I'm torn/conflicted here.  Between dealing out doom and gloom, in the hope it might get Fran (directly, indirectly or slightly), to change course, and handle the property situation, much more efficiently and effectively.
Verses being the nice guy, and being hugely optimistic about the situation.

EDIT:  On reflection, I was being too harsh and critical.  The viewership drops, have only been quite a recent thing.  It could just be a temporary blip and/or readily solvable by Fran.  I was over-reacting to short term trends/information, and partly jumping to conclusions.
Presumably with a youtube channel.  Sometimes experimentation and fine tuning is needed, to refine the sweet spots.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 03:48:23 am by MK14 »

Offline jonovid

• Super Contributor
    • JONOVID
« Reply #1544 on: December 19, 2022, 08:18:16 am »
Diode Steering For Displays by FranLab in 2015
this breadboard electronics project in my opinion was the peak of her youtube channel. when I discovered it why back then. but sadly in slow decline with less & less diy electronics
over the years.
Diode Steering For Displays by FranLab was picked up by hackaday.
https://hackaday.com/2015/02/25/diode-steering-and-counting-with-a-555/
Hobbyist with a basic knowledge of electronics

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1545 on: December 19, 2022, 09:12:46 am »
That is a good point. I typically solve lack of money by making more money. Not by spending less.

Yes, but if you have got, unnecessarily huge outgoings, reducing/changing/eliminating those big costs, can also be part of the solution (financially speaking).

E.g. You're paying $4,000 / month, to Hire/Lease an over the top, expensive car, but only earning $2,000 a month.  Ending the car contract, returning the car, and buying a (one off cost) $2,000 cheap, used car.  Might be the best way forward.  If you can get a higher salaried or additional job as well, great.
Ofcourse but in the end you can't control all expenses. You need to have a warm home and eat. And it would be nice to make sure your kids have a good education and go on a vacaction every now and then. There is a difference between living and surviving. Making more money can make that difference.

Me as well. Companies are remarkably keen on getting 'influencers' to show their items. Edit: Youtubers with 5 times less subscribers compared to Fran can get sponsorship deals.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:01:44 am by nctnico »

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1546 on: December 19, 2022, 09:21:37 am »

I don't understand this.  Even if it is difficult to run a warehouse from her location in Philly, she doesn't have to do the shipping herself.  She can use a fulfillment company or just do a branding deal with a company that throws her a cut for the sales or an annual licencing fee etc.

It sounds like another psychological wall being created to prevent a solution being found.

The following users thanked this post: james_s

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #1547 on: December 19, 2022, 11:04:51 am »

I don't understand this.  Even if it is difficult to run a warehouse from her location in Philly, she doesn't have to do the shipping herself.  She can use a fulfillment company or just do a branding deal with a company that throws her a cut for the sales or an annual licencing fee etc.
It is not that simple. You still need to get production going, do testing, etc. I sell the differential HF probe I designed but the labour & time associated with production, testing, packaging and shipping prevents me from advertising it on a large scale. A fullfillment company will only take care of shipping. My wife can take care of that if push comes to shove.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #1548 on: December 19, 2022, 11:39:45 am »
It is not that simple. You still need to get production going, do testing, etc. I sell the differential HF probe I designed but the labour & time associated with production, testing, packaging and shipping prevents me from advertising it on a large scale. A fullfillment company will only take care of shipping. My wife can take care of that if push comes to shove.

Custom electronics is one thing, but even something like merchandise or nik-naks could be done hands-off.

With something like a custom multimeter I suppose it depends on how much of a modification is made before testing is made.  I haven't seen how involved Dave was in the compliance testing side of the 121GW -- perhaps he has a video on this I haven't seen.  It depends on how far Fran wants to go with this.  I can imagine that there are manufacturers of less bespoke effects boxes who'd like to have Fran's name on something that had a lot of input from her in the design process, but after that they chuck 5% of all sales her way or something.  She handles some of the promotion and marketing.  It's a compromise compared to a hand made device, but better than nothing for her fans, right?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2022, 11:42:16 am by tom66 »

Offline AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #1549 on: December 19, 2022, 01:22:01 pm »
Does she even do merch? Quite a lot of the channels I like to watch seem to have started doing this in the last year or so, presumably it pays.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf