Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2309558 times)

Offline d3javu

• Regular Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #575 on: January 03, 2014, 06:14:45 pm »

Yep, formply.
Apart from that  and a crapload of angle brackets it's pretty much a garage scrap heap special. I figure I'm not likely to get water anywhere in a hurry, and if I get desperate I can get some sealer and paint on it.

I'll keep melamine in mind for Mk III though.  :)

Hey, congratulations addtfoot!!  :-+ , personally i hate to use brackets for shelving. I came across this: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S59895846/ , it seems like a nice way to add shelves without drilling the wall but then the maximum weight stated is 10kg. :-//

Offline iceisfun

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #576 on: January 03, 2014, 08:23:54 pm »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #577 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:02 pm »

I'll keep melamine in mind for Mk III though.  :)

If you go to a built in kitchen manufacturer ask them nicely if they have any offcuts or reject sheets, or removed ones. Free or very cheap, and plenty good for a worktop. A few scuff marks and chips are not going to worry somebody who will be dropping a hot soldering iron on it at some time.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #578 on: January 03, 2014, 10:34:01 pm »
andfoot, I used rails and adjustable brackets.  There are shelving brackets up to 18", mine are 11.5".  Not sure why they are not 12" :-//.  This way you can adjust shelving height as things or moods change.  I use medium density fiberboard for my shelves (1/2") and 3/4" for my work surface.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #579 on: January 04, 2014, 12:34:58 am »
andfoot, I used rails and adjustable brackets.  There are shelving brackets up to 18", mine are 11.5".  Not sure why they are not 12" :-//.  This way you can adjust shelving height as things or moods change.  I use medium density fiberboard for my shelves (1/2") and 3/4" for my work surface.
How ironic you should mention shelving...  ;) I just finished cutting the steel to make the frame to finally add some shelving to the workbench I built last year. A friend is going to weld it up tomorrow, then I can drill for fasteners, and finally hit it with spray paint.

For the actual shelving, I'm using a similar adjustable setup, but found 16" deep, 3/4" thick laminated shelves (melamine on particle board). Will add 1"x1" steel angle to strengthen them up a bit to make sure it won't sag, even though it will have 3 brackets to support it. The angle will also add a lip so the equipment to help prevent me from knocking it off, as I'm a bit of a klutz (inner ear problems, trying to get it sorted).   :-[

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
« Reply #580 on: January 04, 2014, 12:46:49 am »
I was tempted to go the adjustable shelving route but in this case the shelving is being used to provide support to the uprights (it's freestanding) so I needed it to be pretty rigid.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #581 on: January 04, 2014, 01:00:42 am »
I was tempted to go the adjustable shelving route but in this case the shelving is being used to provide support to the uprights (it's freestanding) so I needed it to be pretty rigid.
What I've built is also free standing (it will bolt to the rear legs of the table).

I would have preferred 1.5" square tubing, but it was more money than I was willing to spend. So I went with 1.5" angle instead (same material the table is made of, but weight just pushes down in it, so flex isn't a concern). Hopefully it will be strong enough not to try and flex towards the front of the table (wanted to keep anything structural off of the table top).

Offline Dr. Frank

• Super Contributor
« Reply #582 on: January 07, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »
Got two of them, at least.
Analog & Digital.
First one in the basement, 2nd one in the night.

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #583 on: January 07, 2014, 10:24:06 pm »
I don't think I've posted this here, so here goes.  Here's a video tour of my lab...
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

The following users thanked this post: RobHon

Offline Po6ept

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #584 on: January 07, 2014, 10:51:12 pm »
Here is the current setup.  I have a lot more space available out in my shop, but here in the desert it is too hot to work out there eight months of the year.  I can't justify the air conditioning cost so I keep it all inside.

I need a better strategy for managing cables.  They take on a life of their own like a nest of snakes.   

Offline lowimpedance

• Super Contributor
  • Watts in an ohm?
« Reply #585 on: January 07, 2014, 11:11:21 pm »
I don't think I've posted this here, so here goes.  Here's a video tour of my lab...

Nice "stacks" of gear, a place for everything and everything in its place! :-+.  Just love those old TEK oscilloscopes with the 465B being my first when I got my first job way back when....  (got to get one as a memento).
The odd multimeter or 2 or 3 or 4...or........can't remember !.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #586 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:42 am »
Thanks. Now you've got me drooling.   >:D  :P

Amazing restoration work IMHO.  :)

Here is the current setup.  I have a lot more space available out in my shop, but here in the desert it is too hot to work out there eight months of the year.  I can't justify the air conditioning cost so I keep it all inside.

I need a better strategy for managing cables.  They take on a life of their own like a nest of snakes.   
Nice and clean.  :) Mine usually looks like a tornado hit it.

I have to ask though, what's with the carpet on the bench? Just for impact/non-scuff protection when there's no ESD issues?

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #587 on: January 08, 2014, 01:47:44 am »

Try Velcro ties, i use them on my computer desk and if you dont thread them through them-self it is very quick to rewire, 

Offline Po6ept

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #588 on: January 08, 2014, 07:05:03 am »

Nice and clean.  :) Mine usually looks like a tornado hit it.

I have to ask though, what's with the carpet on the bench? Just for impact/non-scuff protection when there's no ESD issues?

Thanks, but the clean state never lasts very long...  :-\ 

That's exactly what the carpet scrap is for.  It keeps radios and other equipment from getting scratched up while I pull the covers off.  I need a nice ESD mat.

Offline Po6ept

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #589 on: January 08, 2014, 07:06:36 am »

Try Velcro ties, i use them on my computer desk and if you dont thread them through them-self it is very quick to rewire,

Thanks for the idea.  I'll give that a try.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #590 on: January 08, 2014, 12:12:07 pm »

For those that are on a budget, this 45 foot roll of garden Velcro for tying plants is under three dollars US.  Got it at my local garden store.  It's not as reusable as the regular Velcro but for tying wires behind the bench it works great, can be cut to the size needed and you can pull it apart and reuse it at least 10-20 times.

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: January 08, 2014, 12:30:52 pm »
I use to be a video editor..(well still am) - and we had to deal with way more cables then any electronics lab.  One trick I found was to mark the level of your desk, and paint anything below it black.  Cables disappear.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #592 on: January 08, 2014, 01:05:58 pm »
I use some of these "Supreme Pro Cables: CT10 Cable Strips" velcro ties bought at my local musical instrument store. There's a small hole in them so you can make a loop around the wire itself so they stay put while you use the wire rolled out.
Nice for laptop and phone chargers and other wires you often bring with you.

http://www.4sound.dk/shop/kabel-i-metermaal/supreme-pro-cables/ct10-cable-strips.html

You can find similar cheaper at Aliexpress and eBay. For example these:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/910586/search?SearchText=velcro
http://stores.ebay.com/beautyzz2009/_i.html?_nkw=7pcs+velcro
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300946548084
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261357098891

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:37:23 pm by AndersAnd »

Offline robrenz

• Super Contributor
  • Real Machinist, Wannabe EE
« Reply #593 on: January 08, 2014, 01:24:10 pm »
Same thing here at a better price.  100 pieces for $6.49

Offline orion242

• Supporter
« Reply #594 on: January 12, 2014, 04:37:18 am »
Same thing here at a better price.  100 pieces for $6.49

Perfect!  Thanks!

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #595 on: January 12, 2014, 04:59:30 am »
I need a nice ESD mat.
Sorry I missed this bit.  :-[

You might want to take a look at this store on eBay for a 2 layer rubber ESD mat.

Lots of ready-made sizes, can specify color (blue, grey, green), and textured or smooth finish (smooth only in 30" wide, which is what I bought). Can also do custom sizes if you need it, and excellent prices for US & Canada (where seller is located, and mats are made there as well FWIW). Just install the ground snap that comes with it, and you're ready to go (very easy to do).

Hope this helps.  :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #596 on: January 19, 2014, 05:12:03 pm »
I am using a lean model for my home mini lab. It is in my home office and wanted to keep things simple and with small footprint, such that I 'fold up' the lab when I am doing other things and I don't let the chaos built up as it usually does. The solution was getting a large toolbox where I can store tools and parts and being self discipline on not buying stuff I don't really need and not buying big things if smaller ones are good enough. So far it works very well. I can find things easily whenever I need them and freeing and cleaning the desk takes no more than 10 minutes.

Here are a few pictures

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #597 on: January 19, 2014, 07:33:50 pm »
I am using a lean model for my home mini lab. It is in my home office and wanted to keep things simple and with small footprint, such that I 'fold up' the lab when I am doing other things and I don't let the chaos built up as it usually does. The solution was getting a large toolbox where I can store tools and parts and being self discipline on not buying stuff I don't really need and not buying big things if smaller ones are good enough. So far it works very well. I can find things easily whenever I need them and freeing and cleaning the desk takes no more than 10 minutes.
Wow, that's a clean bench!  ;D

I like the toolbox, but sadly, I don't have the room right now to even think about one. Seriously considering adding some pegboard to the back of mine once I finish up the shelving system I'm currently working on.

BTW, it's hard to tell, but is that a Metcal solder station in the upper right corner of the first pic?

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #598 on: January 19, 2014, 07:58:40 pm »
BTW, it's hard to tell, but is that a Metcal solder station in the upper right corner of the first pic?
I'm sure that's a Metcal MX-500 soldering system like this: http://wiki.ladyada.net/tutorials/library/smt/metcaliron.html

Offline kxenos

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #599 on: January 20, 2014, 12:34:29 am »
Well, here's my bench. I know, it's a mess!
Note: The purse on the chair is not mine  :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf