Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2308871 times)

Offline george graves

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1900 on: March 31, 2016, 10:24:33 am »
If these two work benches ever had sex and produced a love child, I think it would be a perfect thing!

Offline Aeternam

• Supporter
    • Schartz Engineering
« Reply #1901 on: March 31, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »
This is me.

On the PSU you see rev 0.3 of my current project (an electronic load), on the far right are the remains of rev 0.2; rev 0.1 is in the bin (it went up in flames) :-+ Next to this bench is another table with a computer running LTSpice, Eagle and the Arduino IDE.

Since I spent the best part of the weekend cleaning up the mess that accumulated over the past months I decided to use the free space to read up on a few things. Current subject: BJTs :palm:

Next acquisition will most likely be a bench DMM.

The following users thanked this post: PixieDust

Offline MarvinTheMartian

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1902 on: March 31, 2016, 11:01:19 pm »
I had set up a post of my own - should have put it in this topic instead. Doh!  |O

This is my lab...https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/beginners-new-lab-existing-test-gear-any-good-for-starters/msg908806/#msg908806
Reviving my old hobby after retiring! Know so little...only one thing to do...watch Dave's videos and keep reading the forum! ;-)

Offline markhing

« Reply #1903 on: April 01, 2016, 03:07:16 am »
I'm just starting out and putting together some gear to work on Arduino projects. I found most of it on eBay (the Macbook air is from craigslist). I was fortunate to find a guy who was retiring and selling off lots of equipment from his Telco lab, so I managed to pick up some decent gear for decent prices.

The bench is built into a small corner of the garage (about 8ft x 2ft).

Next item to get is an oscilloscope. Looking at the DS1054z.

Offline shempe

• Contributor
« Reply #1904 on: April 01, 2016, 09:30:19 am »
Living in a apartment, space is essential, my wife granted me 3m² (32ft²) so I took it :)
Good to have 3,1m (10 feet) high rooms.

btw. there is another row above the upper row.... and a roller blind for the front  :-DD
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 09:39:33 am by shempe »

Online Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #1905 on: April 01, 2016, 09:36:16 am »
Living in a apartment, space is essential, my wife granted me 3m² (32ft²) so I took it :)

Bloody hell... That is crammed...
At least my wife granted me 14m²... But i am not in an apartment, so that makes it a bit easier.
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1906 on: April 01, 2016, 10:30:53 am »
I hope that wall is made of sturdy bricks. If that ever collapses, they'll need a week to find you under it all!

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline shempe

• Contributor
« Reply #1907 on: April 01, 2016, 10:38:01 am »
Many wall anchor´s and a wall thickness of 80cm 36cm on this wall helps alot  |O Building is 1910
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 10:42:09 am by shempe »

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1908 on: April 01, 2016, 10:47:29 am »
Come to Cologne, where a wall can vary from "needing a Hilti industrial hammer" to "poke with a screw-driver" to make a hole (all in the same wall!).

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ChunkyPastaSauce

• Supporter
« Reply #1909 on: April 01, 2016, 10:50:24 am »

btw. there is another row above the upper row.... and a roller blind for the front  :-DD

lol. Where are you going to put the next one?

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1910 on: April 01, 2016, 10:53:04 am »
It seems to me that less granted sq meters from your wife the more tidy workbench, am I rigjt?

Offline shempe

• Contributor
« Reply #1911 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:44 am »

Come to Cologne, where a wall can vary from "needing a Hilti industrial hammer" to "poke with a screw-driver" to make a hole (all in the same wall!).
yes my wall between rooms are straw filled .. better not to hang something on it ...

lol. Where are you going to put the next one?

There is still much space left, in the left 19" department the 2 old psu´s are there only temporary and in the right 19" department the stuff above the DMM goes in the storage.
So much space left for good old 19" stuff.
And for one or 2 Keithley size meters is also spare space.

It seems to me that less granted sq meters from your wife the more tidy workbench, am I rigjt?
Workbench tidy is like the tide it comes and goes.
But you definitive think more how to store, organize and optimize your space.

Offline 4cx10000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1912 on: April 01, 2016, 11:23:58 am »
@george graves

If these two work benches ever had sex and produced a love child, I think it would be a perfect thing!

I agree!  :-DD

Workbench tidy is like the tide it comes and goes.
But you definitive think more how to store, organize and optimize your space.

I agree on that too. My workbench was a total disaster when I took the photo. I have had to many projects running lately, but usually my workbench - and that is really true  8) - use to look a lot better. Less work area demands a more strictly posture to what is on the bench, there should not, as in my case, be a lot of crap and things that does not belong there...  :-[ Maybe I got to much workspace?  :-DD

Offline vze1lryy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1913 on: April 04, 2016, 12:50:35 am »
Back when it was actually a bid tidy and neat. This is an addition to the building put in by the last tenant, it was a shitbox. I had to fix the roof so it would stop leaking, and it has a few holes in the floor I need to fix. It's tiny, but I made it work for me.

Hey Louis, thanks for sharing, it looks pretty tidy indeed! Everything in its place and a place for everything.

Maybe you have mentioned this before on your videos, but I missed it (btw I really enjoy the content you share in Youtube!). At which resolution are you running the large LCD monitor?

Cheers,
Tino

4k. Anything less and I'd go blind on the schematics.
Louis Rossmann
Component level motherboard repair technician.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1914 on: April 04, 2016, 01:42:45 am »
@ Shempe : what is the dmm(19inch) that is besides the Keithley?
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline shempe

• Contributor

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1916 on: April 09, 2016, 06:38:44 am »
OK,

I've talked a few times about getting photos up here, here is the workshop as it stood 2 weeks ago. Just after these photos were taken, everything was stripped back to bare concrete and brick wall.

I will upload the photos of the new workspaces when it is more complete than it is now, but there are new cupboards, benches and racks. It is coming along nicely, but still has a long way to go.

Offline CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1917 on: April 09, 2016, 06:42:41 pm »

@bson, From front to back what is the depth of you workbench? It looks like maybe 40 inches or so? Also, it looks like you've got a Rigol DP832 on the left. Is the back of the Rigol flush with the back of the bench or does it overhang some?

I'm asking because I want to add a new bench to my limited workspace but am having a hard time deciding on what size to get. I have a DP832 and another power supply that is around the same depth and I would like the bench to be deep enough to have enough space out in front of the power supplies (even though they will probably be off to the side, really just trying to get an idea). I don't think I will have the room for something quite as deep as what you have, but was thinking I could probably fit a 36 inch deep bench, and if yours is around 40 inches then I think a 36 inch would work fine for me.

I appreciate any answers you can give. Thanks.

Offline Vgkid

• Super Contributor
If you own any North Hills Electronics gear, message me. L&N Fan

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1919 on: April 10, 2016, 09:09:53 am »
OK, There has been a few weeks since the photos in my last post were taken (Only uploaded a few days ago though)

This is the main bench, nothing is wired up yet, but I think the layout of everything is going to be quite good while allowing for rearrangement when new gear inevitably gets acquired.

There is a small 19" rack on this bench with the full height 19" rack beside it. There is still a bit of gear to wire up (I have a HP 6050A load mainframe that sits on top of the bench top 19" rack).

The equipment on the bench from bottom left is

On the bench - Rigol 1054Z, Manson HCS-3402 PSU, JBC DDE-2 2 tool control unit (The other hand piece will be on my other bench behind me)
First shelf - TTI TGA-1230 10MHz Arb waveform generator, Keithley 2015, HP 3478A, Rigol DP832, Zimmer LMG95 Power Meter

Small 19" rack - Acme PS2L-1000 Load bank, HP 6012A DC Power supply 0-60V / 0-50A (Up to 1KW), Agilent 34970A DAQ.

Big 19" rack - Chenbro computer case which will be built up for the workshop computer, EDC E100RC DC voltage reference, HP 3457A, HP Z3801 GPSDO, Racal Dana 9478 Frequency distribution unit. I have a Genrad resistor decade box and a ESI SR1 1? resistor on the shelf.

Other gear not shown which is sitting in the cupboards etc... (These are not used very often, so taken out when needed) Fluke 105B series 2 scope meter, Agilent U1733C 100KHz LCR meter, YZX Studio miliohmeter, various current clamps, probes, DMM Check plus, another HP3478A, HP3456A.

Other benches not clean / sorted enough to photo yet have 2 x TTI PL330 30v 3a linear power supplies, Manson DPD-3030 2 channel 30v 3a linear supply, Manson 15V 45A switch mode power supply, AWA Audio oscillator and a AWA THD Meter

Then the big toys that rarely get used and I have NO idea where to put them, so they are sitting on a trolley that can be moved. 3H Industries Swinger 2-100 100A / 1KW DC load, 3H Industries Swinger 2-300 300A 2.5KW DC load, Chroma 1200VA AC source.

I think that's all the gear that is lurking around, all that is on my list at the moment to get is a frequency counter like a HP 53131A / 53132A
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 10:39:47 am by PTR_1275 »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1920 on: April 10, 2016, 12:56:53 pm »
Very Nice.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1921 on: April 10, 2016, 01:34:43 pm »
I'm really surprised at how people like to store equipment directly on the bench top. I keep almost everything up on shelves because I want as much space as possible for projects.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1922 on: April 10, 2016, 01:40:16 pm »
I'm really surprised at how people like to store equipment directly on the bench top. I keep almost everything up on shelves because I want as much space as possible for projects.

That's why I particularly like TE that use VESA monitor mounts, so with a gas spring articulated arm they can go anywhere you choose and take up no bench space.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1923 on: April 10, 2016, 01:46:43 pm »
I work on various sized projects, from small items through to vehicle fridges, solar panels and generators. The bench behind me (Not pictured) has nothing on it for the very purpose on working on these larger items. There is a soldering iron, hot air station and tool chest beside the bench. I wanted to have more space on this bench than I had in my previous setup which is why everything on the bench is set back further than the shelf. The scope is on the bench as that is the best spot in my opinion, the meters, AWG, power meter and rigol power supply are all at eye level, but far enough forward that I can reach it easily. While it is my bench at work, everything listed and in the photos is my personal gear.

There is a 3rd bench that has been setup for the other guys to use (I'm the only tech here, but the others can do basic things) which should keep them away from my bench. That 3rd bench has a dedicated battery test area set up for doing cycle charge / discharges of batteries. The biggest set we have had to do testing on was 48v 1600Ah at the C100 rate which was fun to put through the tests.

Hopefully I will have some completed photos of the workshop within a few weeks so you can see the bigger picture.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1924 on: April 10, 2016, 02:01:11 pm »
I should probably give some measurements to give some perspective. The bench is made from 2100 x 900 x 30 pine (The same that Dave used for his benches). I have some 12mm thick Jarrah strip that is being prepped and will be screwed onto the front edges as a protective / replaceable bumper. The work surface is 960mm high, my old benches were 900mm and I found they were a bit too short if I was standing at them. These are probably a little bit high for sitting (I use a drafters chair which can go quite low and surprisingly high. When I am at a comfortable sitting position my feet are probably 5-10mm off the ground which is not ideal, but a footrest makes it nice and comfy.

From the front edge, I have 680mm to the blue plastic drawers that are on the bench top. I have 1500mm from left edge to the bench top rack.

There is a bookshelf off to the left, that is my "library" of equipment manuals. I have PDF's of them all, but I prefer flicking through pages. Every sheet is in a protective sleeve and they are in lever arch binders made of clear plastic with a zipper to keep them together (Probably not the best description), or the smaller manuals are in display books that are then in plastic document boxes. I have tried to print copies of everything, data sheets, user manuals, service manuals etc...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf