Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3473950 times)

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #4000 on: September 08, 2017, 03:41:06 pm »
https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a230r.1.14.48.76bf523DnoKUs&id=522684133706&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

This is my choice now.  Hope their sale can go up so they can do a color version.  It is socketed 328.  My mod is adding  a DC socket for power, and a stereo 2.5mm for a 3 wire microclip.

At moment still not selling on ebay, bangoo or amazon. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:43:10 pm by all_repair »

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4001 on: September 08, 2017, 05:05:19 pm »
I think we need to add a buyers guide in the documentation, something like -> if you want it with the case, this are the current options (or 3d print it), if you want it with the lithium barrery, if you want it with the rotary encoder...
I agree 100%
I've actually tried several different ways of doing this. The big issue is naming convention. When I posted the message a few pages back about making up our own names for clones, I was actually looking for a response to gauge how others reacted to this. I could call them "Larry, Curly, and Moe," but if no one adopts that naming convention it's a useless reference. In my opinion the names need to be intuitive so that they are easy to recall visually. edit: I am against using anything that sellers have created. Terms that are not present on a PCB or descriptive of the specific clone are useless and confusing to most people, especially people who need simple answers without spending days learning about the project. Any name like hiland kkmoon, m328, gm328, TFT gm328, are none distinct and useless.
   Overall, establishing names is the biggest hurdle. I am still trying to figure out the most effective way to do this.
 Once I have all of the information from the Russian thread, I hope to put together a few videos of:
(Videos are ideal because they don't have image hosting and long term storage problems)
Interesting/Entertaining
1.) DIY projects with 1-3 pics of all projects made from scratch from all forums
Useful Reference
2.) Videos of each major clone and everything visual I have collected on all forums for each one
3.) video of unique clone mods, cases, and hacks
4.) Finish my videos on the AY-AT showing every detail through programming step by step without using any spoken language

I have the FAQ draft you've seen. I also have written linked troubleshooting references (problem summary/link to problem post/link to solution post) for about half of this thread where people have had various problems that were solved. I have a reference written for all screens used, but can't call it completed until I finish the Russian thread. I have the list of all auxillary circuits for version 1. I am also working on a list of all custom projects that are documented with the files included to etch/order your own PCB. I'm working on a list of all ATmega644 and up projects. I also have a list of 'outlaw' projects I've come across that have unofficial auxillary circuits and options.
   I wanted to complete most of this before creating a new thread. I want to do this on a different forum account that I can give to Markus to control. Essentially this would create a locked wiki format within an interactive forum thread as I would create around 10 thread posts immediately after starting the thread, reserving a large amount of room for updating and posting useful information on page 1. I asked, and Dave's fine with it.
...at least that's the plan and what I've been slowly churning away at. I got around 75% done with the info on this thread before I started to see I was missing a lot of relevant material and had to broaden my data set or I would likely misrepresent a lot of information.
 -Jake
PS Why am I doing this/spending a crazy amount of time on this simple device? So Dave can call me a fanboy.... Because after getting a broken neck I spend most of my time stuck laying flat. The only digital device I can use for long amounts of time is a phone. Learning Electronics in general is more fulfilling than dominating at phone games, something I did for a long time when I thought I'd get heal quickly. I can use a device/project like this to learn a broad range of skills, and I'm a bit of a polymath ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:05:47 pm by jakeisprobably »

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4002 on: September 08, 2017, 07:44:43 pm »
I'm answering a question from YouTube comments and thought I'd paste the links here:
These describe why the Transistor Tester isn't a replacement for a LCR meter despite what is printed on some PCB silkscreens from China. Some of this information is outdated but still provides insightful perspective. For current capabilities of the device use the explanation in the official documentation.
Why the AVR Transistor Tester is not a substitute for a real LCR Meter
1. "The measurement uses charge/discharge pulses while synchronizing them with the ADC. The 8 and 16MHz testers use the same ADC clock, while the 20MHz got a..."

2. "...These $20 meters measure resistance and semiconductors as well as capacitance and ESR. They aren't really a replacement for the handheld meters.."

3. "...the doc confirms that the device will only determine ESR for caps over "(xx)". I suspect this is because the frequency is only 680Hz instead of the more traditional 100MHz. Apparently it.."

4. "The inductance measurement is quite limited by the maximum test current and the method used. It even runs the ATmega out-of spec for some µs for low inductances...."

5. Post about other DIY LCR meter circuits

Also EEVBlog thread searching 101
1.) Use the "print" button to create a text only single page version of this thread
2.) After the page loads in your browser, use your web browser's "Find on Page" feature to search for key words.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:03:01 pm by jakeisprobably »

The following users thanked this post: denimdragon

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #4003 on: September 08, 2017, 08:01:10 pm »
Meanwhile some ranges are obsolete ;) The current k-firmware measures the ESR of caps down to 20nF. And the beta of the next m-firmware down to 10nF.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4005 on: September 08, 2017, 10:50:41 pm »
Meanwhile some ranges are obsolete ;)
Thanks. That's the reason why I keep posting bits and pieces of my notes and quotes over time. It's almost impossible to filter through all of the information in this forum alone and know what is up to date and what is not. It's much easier to get multiple eyes on little bite size chunks.
   Most people probably see that info as pointless, but there are many times when the questions and conversation are broken down in a way that beginners can understand and connect with. I hope to retain some of that ease of access as I try to distil my notes.
    I wasn't aware of the basic functionality of how a LCR meter workes until I read this thread. I just haven't needed one on a project until a couple of months ago playing with DC to DC converters, so I didn't have a reason to figure them out. When I saw a bunch of $10 devices called LCR's and people buying them I figured I'd go that route first... I'd bet the farm I'm not alone on that path. So I approach the subject from that angle. That kind of approach should make a highly effective guide to this device that helps the vast majority of people that are not EE's. I'm sure EE's will find it a bit silly, but the answer to all of their questions is the easiest, even a idiot like me can answer that one: GNU tarball  :scared:

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4006 on: September 11, 2017, 12:18:51 am »
Just uploaded the complete retrace of the AY-AT.
https://youtu.be/mRMRtrzh6rI

The following users thanked this post: madires, edavid, mauroh, bitseeker, pepe10000

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4007 on: September 11, 2017, 05:25:12 pm »
A couple of extra images are attached that show just the top and just the bottom traces with all the same color coding. Most people probably don't have a use for these but it's just one extra dimension to add to the equation.
    I'm using this to learn the PCB side of KiCad. I figure it's easier to start learning by trying to create something similar to what I already have in my hands than it is to try to create a new project from scratch. This is why I haven't uploaded my KiCad files yet. If I can pull it off I should have a PCB clone of a clone soon...and maybe a 3d model... If I can figure out how to do all this stuff :)

Also Notice
   To anyone that may not be aware, I have tried my best to matchup all of my schematics and part designators to the main schematic in Karl-Heinz PDF documentation. This means you can read his detailed information about the project while using the schematics I have shared to learn about this device. This is why the part designators are a bit odd looking at first. I have added extra part designators for the additional circuits on this device. I chose to add these in succession to the existing ones. This has also left a few gaps in the numbers that mirror the gaps in the main schematic.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:04:55 pm by jakeisprobably »

The following users thanked this post: MikeL

Offline tablatronix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4008 on: September 11, 2017, 06:40:49 pm »
do you have high quality images or front and pack of pcb? I forgot to take some nice flat pictures of the board before I started putting it together,

The following users thanked this post: denimdragon

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4009 on: September 11, 2017, 07:35:37 pm »
do you have high quality images or front and pack of pcb?
Not really. I used to have a budget photography studio and a medium sized eBay operation but had to leave all of that to an old business partner due to physical limitations. I do everything in my videos with a phone camera, and makeshift junk. I don't have a proper DSLR or a squared camera setup any more. I could build a square rig with junk I have laying around but phone sensors/lenses introduce too much distortion into the image. This link has the series of pictures showing the way I created the top and bottom traces overlay. They are not high quality or square. I only have these images from the sketch app. I don't have the original back images that I chopped up to create it. The bottom image is a composite of 3 images used to Aline everything close enough to follow the traces. The top layer holes were maped on their own layer, then overlayed onto the bottom image. This allowed me to trace the bottom images in a way where I could connect the traces to the top layer holes and make adjustments where needed.
  I started the newest video with these same top/bottom trace maps. I showed this method in more detail in an older video, but I wanted to make something that was easier to follow this time.
  Again, unlike most people, I have an enormous amount of time available to play with this kind of stuff due to physical limitations. I am forced to use a phone for about 90% of anything I want to do because it's light weight and manageable with my injuries. So everything I do is a bit wonky.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #4010 on: September 11, 2017, 08:45:38 pm »
It's pretty cool what you accomplish with a phone. The schematic-to-PCB tracing video was pretty neat.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: jakeisprobably

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4011 on: September 11, 2017, 09:30:30 pm »
do you have high quality images or front and pack of pcb? I forgot to take some nice flat pictures of the board before I started putting it together,

Here you go...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 09:32:55 pm by edavid »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #4012 on: September 11, 2017, 09:50:15 pm »
Again, unlike most people, I have an enormous amount of time available to play with this kind of stuff due to physical limitations. I am forced to use a phone for about 90% of anything I want to do because it's light weight and manageable with my injuries. So everything I do is a bit wonky.

Sorry to hear that you are wonky, I also am a little.

Do you like watching YT videos?  I put together this list

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/dd/msg1093983/#msg1093983

And I am working on adding suggested "topics" or "subjects".   For example I will make recommendations on different subjects like scopes, op amps, transistors, etc.

Here is some of the work I have done on Op Amps:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/op-amp-youtube-videos-my-list-of-the-best-28-on-the-basics/msg1299245/#msg1299245

Since this is a popular topic I am thinking of adding Transistor Checkers as a subject.

I could use some help. If you could pick from 5 fo 10 good videos (channels) on this subject, I will include them and be very grateful.

The addition of recommendations to the sheet is being worked on by Brumby.  It is not there yet.  I do have the Op Amp selection in a sheet in the latest version that you can download from here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/dd/msg1299782/#msg1299782

thanks
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

The following users thanked this post: upsss, jakeisprobably

Offline upsss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4013 on: September 13, 2017, 09:51:56 pm »
@ez24, for a 114 year old male you are looking great. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: ez24

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4014 on: September 13, 2017, 11:34:00 pm »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #4015 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:23 am »
that list is missing a couple of important entrys!

Thanks they will be in the next upload
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline hpapagaj

• Contributor
« Reply #4016 on: September 15, 2017, 09:41:47 pm »
Hello all,

I am looking to buy this type of tester, but I can't decide which one to buy.

This is the cheapest what I found, but it's without case:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-DIY-kits-ATMEAG328-M328-Transistor-Tester-LCR-Diode-Capacitance-ESR-meter-PWM-Square-wave-Frequency/32815242766.html

Second one is with case:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2016-DIY-KITS-ATMEAG328P-M328-Transistor-Tester-LCR-Diode-Capacitance-ESR-meter-PWM-Square-wave-Signal/32785578867.html

Third says that it's the latest model (including DS18B20, DH11, IR decoder). It is true? Or the first two is the same?

There is one more version, with older 1.05 FW, but what I like in this is that it is sold wih probes:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/M328-version-ESR-Tester-Meter-Transistor-Capacitance-Inductance-PNP-MOS-NPN-JFET-free-shipping/32745769814.html

Can I use probes with the first 3 version? I am thinking in attaching probe wires directly into the "grill" connector (sorry I don't know the exact name) - I want to test in-circuit components too (I know that it's not ideal scenario).

All suggestions are welcomed.  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 09:56:58 pm by hpapagaj »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4017 on: September 16, 2017, 10:44:30 am »
AFAIK the clones with a fixed IR receiver module run a modified firmware supporting only two IR protocols. The m-firmware supports 10 IR protocols and a few variations of some protocols. And you can simply connect an IR receiver module to the three probe pins (a fixed module is supported too). I'd recommend to choose a clone which allows you to upgrade the firmware easily (DIP socket or ISP header).

Offline MikeL

• Contributor
« Reply #4018 on: September 16, 2017, 11:52:37 am »
Wow, very nice job!  I recently got one of these delivered to me in non-working condition, now I may be able to figure out why.
Thank you!

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4019 on: September 16, 2017, 04:01:53 pm »
Is there a schematic example of the touch screen implementation floating around somewhere that I have not seen or noticed?

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4020 on: September 16, 2017, 04:43:14 pm »
Adding some more info as I research the touch screen option. The controller is a ADS7843 12 bit ADC. Also note the part number XPT2046 is a functional equivalent.
Texas Instruments HTML page for ADS7843
Direct link to TI PDF for ADS7843

I assume the touch screen controller circut is somewhat like the random schematics attached? I'm trying to understand how the test button and MCU Vcc control circuit work with the touch screen ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 04:46:34 pm by jakeisprobably »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4021 on: September 16, 2017, 05:03:34 pm »
Adding some more info as I research the touch screen option. The controller is a ADS7843 12 bit ADC. Also note the part number XPT2046 is a functional equivalent.

I assume the touch screen controller circut is somewhat like the random schematics attached? I'm trying to understand how the test button and MCU Vcc control circuit work with the touch screen ;)

The ADS7843 simply shares the SPI with the display and needs two additional IO pins for /CS and /PEN_IRQ. The circuit isn't that interesting, because you can buy LCD modules with touchscreen and ADS7843 included. If the module doesn't got a pull-up resistor for /PEN_IRQ you should add an external one.

The following users thanked this post: jakeisprobably

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4022 on: September 16, 2017, 05:16:58 pm »
The ADS7843 simply shares the SPI with the display..
  So is it basically like using the rotary encoder option (+2 extra pins for the touch screen)?

Would you use this with a separate test button and the PNP/NPN MCU controlled power circuit or is this limited to a on/off power switch?

Can the touch screen option run in parallel to the rotary encoder?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4023 on: September 16, 2017, 05:59:28 pm »
Yes, you still need the power/test push button for powering on and selecting the tester's mode. The touch screen UI provides a software test button which can be used in parallel after powering on the tester. And the touch screen can be used in parallel with a rotary encoder or increase/decrease push buttons. The m-firmware has a simple UI framework which maps different user input types to virtual keys.

Offline jakeisprobably

• Regular Contributor
    • Upcycle Electronics
« Reply #4024 on: September 16, 2017, 08:02:06 pm »
Thanks. That really helps me understand how the touch screen option fits in. I'm almost finished copying all 44 circuit options into a single KiCad schematic. I just need to figure out an easy way to show the circuit options hierarchy on one schematic document. I haven't figured out if it's better to use a giant flat schematic or the hierarchical layouts in KiCad to create a PDF to share with others. I've been working on different ways to show the options and flow... haven't found one I like yet.
  I'm also trying to figure out how to upload, maintain, and store files on GitHub. Then I can just upload a bunch of half finished junk and really confuse people  :scared:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf