Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3091724 times)

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #1975 on: September 10, 2015, 03:25:19 pm »
"15 miles from France"??? So they're from Belgium, Holland, Germany, Luxemburg or Spain???

Or does he mean some small US town called France?

McBryce.

Treading water off the coast of Dover  :-DD

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1976 on: September 10, 2015, 03:26:10 pm »
There's nothing suspicious about the dislikes he's received. They're just genuine dislikes to his content. Heck, I disliked it myself. 

Yup, he of course didn't show the overlay of the views and dislikes.
His video got featured on the Batteriser page, so people saw it and they disliked it. Simple.

If that's the sort of person the batteroo team want on their side, they're welcome to him!

Probably best to let Batteriser simply self implode at this point.

BTW, I lost count of the number of people who came up to me at Electronex over the last two days and mentioned Batteriser. Just face palm after face palm.
The best comedy writers on the planet couldn't have scripted it better.

It's over. Sanity and good engineering won. Batteroo is so over-committed  and under-funded at this point it's beyond laughable. They have at least three more sets of injection molds to pay for and likely four sets of progressive dies for the sheet metal. The C and D batteries will the coup de grace if they actually try to fulfill those orders. They are literally spending tens of thousands of dollars to make a few hundred.

The sheet metal dies will be a total bastard with their current design. They need DFM help. Badly.

The plastics will be fairly expensive. Making that high zoot clear case instead of just using plastic clamshell packaging was just nuts. The C and D version sell for the same price, yet have vastly lower volume, and higher tooling and part costs. Batteroo has to be looking for a way to not build those. I think that's the purpose of the survey. The real survey should have been: "can we give you a refund and walk away?"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:25:00 pm by LabSpokane »

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #1977 on: September 10, 2015, 03:27:14 pm »
"15 miles from France"??? So they're from Belgium, Holland, Germany, Luxemburg or Spain???

McBryce.

Andorra, Monaco?

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1978 on: September 10, 2015, 03:30:48 pm »

McBryce.

Andorra, Monaco?

I knew I'd forget a few :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Godzil

• Frequent Contributor
    • My own blog
« Reply #1979 on: September 10, 2015, 03:34:32 pm »
I've genuinely didn't understood that part of his reply, but it's the most uninteresting part of it anyway
When you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective.
-- Yokoi Gunpei

Offline jancumps

• Supporter
  • New Low
« Reply #1980 on: September 10, 2015, 03:35:09 pm »

McBryce.

Andorra, Monaco?

McBryce.

Swiss, Italy  :)

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1981 on: September 10, 2015, 03:53:20 pm »
Another "quality post" from a Batteriser supporter

which he removed and re-uploaded...

thanks for making me watch that.  I think I lost some brain cells watching that garbage

if you think that's bad, watch this trainwreck:

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek
« Reply #1982 on: September 10, 2015, 03:54:22 pm »
Lakshmi Narasimha:
He is no EE. He is a "software engineer".
https://www.linkedin.com/in/lakshminarasimhanav

From his Linkedin profile, He works at a company called "Startup Inc"

One is a physicist and astronomer teacher that worked as Micron.

The other is a "software engineer".

Where they did study to get their degrees?

There's nothing suspicious about the dislikes he's received. They're just genuine dislikes to his content. Heck, I disliked it myself. 

Yup, he of course didn't show the overlay of the views and dislikes.
His video got featured on the Batteriser page, so people saw it and they disliked it. Simple.

If that's the sort of person the batteroo team want on their side, they're welcome to him!

Probably best to let Batteriser simply self implode at this point.

BTW, I lost count of the number of people who came up to me at Electronex over the last two days and mentioned Batteriser. Just face palm after face palm.
The best comedy writers on the planet couldn't have scripted it better.

This would be funnier than the Micro Men TV documentary drama  movie. What about prepare a script movie draft and find some starting talents to do it after some months? This could be the geekier movie ever made, even better if other EEvBlog friendly people collaborate. It would be amazing if being geek and hilarious at same time.

Suggested titles
- "Clamping Monkey Scammers"
- "Magical Battery Optimizer"
- "Battery Fools and Scammers"
- "Ohm's Law Violation"
- "Battery Rise Men"
- "The Incredible Scamming of Batteriser"

Or a mini series about different stuff:

- Techie criminals
- Snake Oil in Tech
- Tech Scammers

You could initiate a new section or series
EEvFiction by "That Crazy Aussie Bloke" Films.

Offline Kire Pûdsje

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1983 on: September 10, 2015, 04:22:34 pm »

McBryce.

Andorra, Monaco?

McBryce.

Swiss, Italy  :)
Why stop, since 'Holland' is mentioned (bordering France in Sint Maarten/Saint Martin), a complete (I hope) list would be: Spain, Andorra, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Monaco, Brazil, Suriname, The Netherlands.
BTW: Holland != The Netherlands, just like England != UK

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1984 on: September 10, 2015, 04:35:05 pm »
I did say I missed a few  ::)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1985 on: September 10, 2015, 04:47:34 pm »
Why stop, since 'Holland' is mentioned (bordering France in Sint Maarten/Saint Martin)
If we're going to include French overseas territories then the list will get a lot longer than that.

(But let's not...eh?)

Offline andrew.perrong

« Reply #1986 on: September 10, 2015, 05:50:53 pm »
I will just leave this here.
I got a reply from UL.

"Hello

Thank you for taking the time to contact UL to report your concern. 

UL cannot provide you with any information regarding UL projects as it is not public information. 

We are working with the company to clarify the information posted on their website.

Best regards,

MXXX. LXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Market Surveillance Analyst
Email: Market.Surveillance@ul.com
W: ul.com"

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #1987 on: September 10, 2015, 05:54:24 pm »
I have done some digging (attached pdf) and have a crazy theory that the Batteriser Fan Page YouTube channel is run by a Roohparvar (probably Ali). 

Great detective work.  I also have my suspicions this might be the case.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1988 on: September 10, 2015, 06:13:58 pm »
I will just leave this here.
I got a reply from UL.

"Hello

Thank you for taking the time to contact UL to report your concern. 

UL cannot provide you with any information regarding UL projects as it is not public information. 

We are working with the company to clarify the information posted on their website.

Best regards,

MXXX. LXXXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Market Surveillance Analyst
Email: Market.Surveillance@ul.com
W: ul.com"

What your senses say about their response? Anyone with experience dealing with UL?

Alexander.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:52:43 pm by firewalker »
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline firewalker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1989 on: September 10, 2015, 06:19:39 pm »
Hello EEVblog,

Sorry this is slightly off topic.

I have done some digging (attached pdf) and have a crazy theory that the Batteriser Fan Page YouTube channel is run by a Roohparvar (probably Ali). 

Thoughts?

P.S.
Sorry about the jpeg quality

Any thoughts? Ahem.... I think you nailed it m8!

Alexander.
Become a realist, stay a dreamer.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1990 on: September 10, 2015, 06:43:12 pm »
Isn`t this a case for the FBI? It should be clearly fradulent.

No. This isn't close to FBI material.  If they go public with an IPO, then the SEC could go after them. Right now, at worst, the FTC or CA state attorney general can make funny faces at them. That's about it.

This will go away on its own. Actually attempting to manufacture at this scale with so little money is punishment enough.

Patience.

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #1991 on: September 10, 2015, 07:18:19 pm »
This will go away on its own. Actually attempting to manufacture at this scale with so little money is punishment enough.
Patience.

It could be the reason they even did the IndieGogo campaign was because of pressure from their VC backers (SK Telecom) to establish a client base or market as a contingency of them getting their million dollar funding. This way, if an IndieGogo campaign goes sour, SK Telecom backs out.

Yes, having just over $300k to manufacture this number and variety of devices is no money at all, even in China. The die-and-tooling needed to create punches, formers and folders for the sleeves alone, not to mention the PCB fabrication line and assembly, will cost much more. Once again, if they keep to their November release (if at all) I will be a Probes The Monkey's uncle.  :D
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1992 on: September 10, 2015, 07:32:35 pm »
No. This isn't close to FBI material.
It might be FTC material though.

But anyway, the goggle-eyed people who signed up on IGG will all get what they deserve, if the claims made here for manufacturing costs are true then the Batteriser Brothers will get what they deserve too.

Let's hope the people who invested via. SK Telecom aren't stung too badly - just enough to make them wary of backing snake oil salesmen in the future.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1993 on: September 10, 2015, 07:59:55 pm »
No. This isn't close to FBI material.
It might be FTC material though.

But anyway, the goggle-eyed people who signed up on IGG will all get what they deserve, if the claims made here for manufacturing costs are true then the Batteriser Brothers will get what they deserve too.

Let's hope the people who invested via. SK Telecom aren't stung too badly - just enough to make them wary of backing snake oil salesmen in the future.

Already noted the FTC. 

I don't know SK Telecom personally, but I'm not sure that there's anyone involved that I'd put a white hat on right now.  This fiasco is very likely a combination of unrealistic promises from Batteroo coupled with unrealistic expectations from SK.  The thought that anyone was going to go from zero to full tilt boogie mass-market retail distribution in under six months and less than $1M USD with FOUR unique products ... well ... not a chance.  Not even close. 

In SK's defense, I'll say that they were probably heavily relying upon Bob Roohparvar's experience from Flextronics to guide them.  Instead we have a project that is hard to believe that anyone from Flex would believe worked from a time/resources standpoint.

There might have been a time when Batteroo could have gotten a bank loan or revolving line of credit based on the receivables from the retail orders, but those obviously evaporated since they extended the IGG campaign in the hopes that they would get enough money to go to production. 

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1994 on: September 10, 2015, 08:18:05 pm »
He has a sort of Southern US kind of accent, I would say Georgia or Alabama, maybe Louisiana.
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1995 on: September 10, 2015, 09:04:55 pm »
Well, someone at Garmin has just replied to my query, and they have completely avoided answering anything about the Alkaline battery life issue.

Again, here is my question:
"The company startup "Batteroo" with the pending product "Batteriser" have published a video in which they claim to test a Garmin Approach G3 using new Alkaline batteries, and they state that it only lasts 1 hour and 52 minutes before it dies. This claim has been widely spread on youtube, their own website, and other parts of the internet.

Can Garmin confirm or refute whether the Approach G3 will only last for under 2 hours on new Alkaline Duracell batteries, and then the batteries would need to be changed?"
[/i]

And here is their answer:
"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist you today. NiMH or Lithium batteries are recommended for the Approach G3, and the expected battery life is up to 15 hours using either of these batteries.

When determining which batteries will suit your application best it is important to note, if Lithium batteries are chosen, that two distinct types exist.

Lithium Batteries
Lithium Ion Batteries
The difference in these two types of batteries resides in the voltage each produces. Please check to ensure that the voltage listed on the battery does not exceed the voltage requirement of your GPS listed in the manual.

The difference in voltage between the two batteries is as follows:

Lithium batteries have a voltage of 1.75V and are not rechargeable
Lithium Ion batteries have a voltage of 4.2V and are rechargeable
Often Lithium batteries are the preferred choice for those choosing to use such a battery. In many cases, a Lithium battery will need to be used after its voltage has dropped below the recommended voltage listed in the device manual. It is not recommended that Lithium Ion batteries be used. In many cases these batteries exceed the limits of Garmin GPS devices and can cause irreversible damage."
[/i]

I'm fairly sure I just got one of their standard form replies. I don't think she even read my email, just saw "G3... battery life... hmm, okay, send form letter on using NiMH or Lithium batteries."

I replied, pushing for an actual considered response:

"Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your time.
However, I find that my question hasn't been answered. I understand that the recommended cells are Lithium metal or NiMH and I understand the difference between Lithium metal primary cells and Lithium ion cells, however; the Approach G3 has an Alkaline setting, so it was clearly also designed with the ability to be run on those. Sometimes, for different reasons, the only batteries available are Alkalines, such as Duracell Power Plus, and my question was: How much battery life could reasonably be expected using Alkaline cells without the use of some device to boost the voltage? Is it less than 2 hours as claimed by the Batteriser people in their media campaign? Or about half a round of golf per set of Alkaline batteries?"
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:16:23 pm by samgab »

Offline edy

• Super Contributor
    • DevHackMod Channel
« Reply #1996 on: September 10, 2015, 09:18:21 pm »
Here is the Garmin Approach G3 manual:

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/ApproachG3_OwnersManual.pdf

Page 1 - The Approach operates on two AA batteries (not included). Use alkaline, NiMH or lithium batteries.
Page 7 - Battery Type - select Akaline, Lithium and rechargeable NiMH.
Page 10 - Power source: Two AA batteries (Alkaline, NiMH or lithium)

So they now DON'T recommend alkaline or do they just not want to say anything?  :wtf:

EDIT: spelling errors.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:20:18 pm by edy »
YouTube: www.devhackmod.com LBRY: https://lbry.tv/@winegaming:b Bandcamp Music Link
"Ye cannae change the laws of physics, captain" - Scotty

Offline gore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1997 on: September 10, 2015, 09:19:27 pm »
Sounds like a regular, robotic PR type response taken right off of a template. I don't think the person answering has any idea or care for the issue being discussed.

Offline samgab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1998 on: September 10, 2015, 09:38:30 pm »
Well, someone at Garmin has just replied to my query, and they have completely avoided answering anything about the Alkaline battery life issue.

Again, here is my question:
"The company startup "Batteroo" with the pending product "Batteriser" have published a video in which they claim to test a Garmin Approach G3 using new Alkaline batteries, and they state that it only lasts 1 hour and 52 minutes before it dies. This claim has been widely spread on youtube, their own website, and other parts of the internet.

Can Garmin confirm or refute whether the Approach G3 will only last for under 2 hours on new Alkaline Duracell batteries, and then the batteries would need to be changed?"
[/i]

And here is their answer:
"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to assist you today. NiMH or Lithium batteries are recommended for the Approach G3, and the expected battery life is up to 15 hours using either of these batteries.

When determining which batteries will suit your application best it is important to note, if Lithium batteries are chosen, that two distinct types exist.

Lithium Batteries
Lithium Ion Batteries
The difference in these two types of batteries resides in the voltage each produces. Please check to ensure that the voltage listed on the battery does not exceed the voltage requirement of your GPS listed in the manual.

The difference in voltage between the two batteries is as follows:

Lithium batteries have a voltage of 1.75V and are not rechargeable
Lithium Ion batteries have a voltage of 4.2V and are rechargeable
Often Lithium batteries are the preferred choice for those choosing to use such a battery. In many cases, a Lithium battery will need to be used after its voltage has dropped below the recommended voltage listed in the device manual. It is not recommended that Lithium Ion batteries be used. In many cases these batteries exceed the limits of Garmin GPS devices and can cause irreversible damage."
[/i]

I'm fairly sure I just got one of their standard form replies. I don't think she even read my email, just saw "G3... battery life... hmm, okay, send form letter on using NiMH or Lithium batteries."

I replied, pushing for an actual considered response:

"Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your time.
However, I find that my question hasn't been answered. I understand that the recommended cells are Lithium metal or NiMH and I understand the difference between Lithium metal primary cells and Lithium ion cells, however; the Approach G3 has an Alkaline setting, so it was clearly also designed with the ability to be run on those. Sometimes, for different reasons, the only batteries available are Alkalines, such as Duracell Power Plus, and my question was: How much battery life could reasonably be expected using Alkaline cells without the use of some device to boost the voltage? Is it less than 2 hours as claimed by the Batteriser people in their media campaign? Or about half a round of golf per set of Alkaline batteries?"

Wow! I just got a lightning fast response to my reply to their reply from an actual human! Maybe replies to standard replies get escalated to second tier support right away, I don't know. Anyway, this response is much better:

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I can help you here.

Quick question, are you planning on tapping on the screen of the device every 15 seconds like they do in the sample video?

If your answer is "yes" then I can say it may be likely that you can drain the batteries very quickly.

Under normal use however, the device will last 3 or possibly 4 rounds of golf before they are too drained. So 12 - 16 hours.

I've had a set of energizers in my G5 for months and it still has enough power for me to troubleshoot situations.

Finally, I don't think I have ever heard of Batteriser or Batteroo so I'm not sure I would find any claim from them towards another companies product to be of any value.

Let us know if you have any other questions.
"

So I replied to him:
"Awesome! Thanks Sean, nice to get a considered response from a human. That's what I was looking for.

Pass my email to your boss as a good work story if you like. "

Offline warp_foo

• Supporter
« Reply #1999 on: September 10, 2015, 10:04:34 pm »
He has a sort of Southern US kind of accent, I would say Georgia or Alabama, maybe Louisiana.

No, definitely not a southern accent. I place that accent somewhere in the NE quadrant on the US.
Where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf