Author Topic: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)  (Read 3083300 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: EEVblog #751 - How To Debunk A Product (The Batteriser)
« Reply #5425 on: May 08, 2016, 02:22:10 pm »
Recently, we were also notified that many customers had problems accessing certain features on our website. Upon further investigation, we realized that our website had been hacked. Someone had entered a few lines of code that blocked our customers from seeing the videos and Q&A section of our site, as well as blocking them from placing orders. That issue is now resolved, but It is very obvious to us that we are under attack. Given that we plan to disrupt the $15 billion/year battery industry and drastically reduce the number of batteries in landfills, we are not surprised.  We are grateful that we are not fighting this fight alone, and that these delays have not deterred our supporters. To be clear, we are not saying or implying that Energizer had anything to do with the hacking of our website; but merely that we are being attacked on many fronts.

When is doubt, milk a story that's worked before and started all this!
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2928997/batteriser-is-a-250-gadget-that-extends-disposable-battery-life-by-800-percent.html

Bob Roohparvar tells a killer story of industrial espionage. He says the robbery occurred last October at his Batteroo office space in a sprawling Silicon Valley office park. The target was intellectual property surrounding Batteriser, a simple metal sleeve that promises to give consumers up to eight times more life from their disposable batteries, AAA through D.

The crooks clearly knew the building layout, and exactly what they were looking for—namely, a breakthrough technology that, if legit, could blow the lid off an alkaline battery industry that’s worth $3.4 billion annually in the US alone.

“It was a very, very professional job,” says Roohparvar. “They passed by all the offices with open doors, and then banged the hell out of my door, breaking it in. The doorknob was slammed so hard into the wall, it got stuck in the plaster. They took my hard disk and a bunch of USB drives. They took our Batteriser samples. They knew exactly how much time they had before the police would respond.”

Roohparvar, who has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering and a long career in power management

including a VP stint at Broadcom and a CEO stint at FlexPower, says he’s not worried about the theft, because Batteriser has full patent protection. But once the battery manufacturers grasp what Batteriser can do—assuming it works as advertised—they might be worried by this simple gadget, which will cost just $10 for a pack of four when it goes on sale in September.

Offline 6581

• Supporter
« Reply #5426 on: May 08, 2016, 03:19:48 pm »
"Unfortunately the new longer product name does not fit very well on the batterooster sleeves and may cause compatibility and/or fitting issues with some devices. Legal costs have drained all the money raised to build the batteroosters, we are thankful for your continuing support and help to raise more money to fight evil battery mafia. Let's save children and whales together!"

Offline rrinker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5427 on: May 08, 2016, 04:01:43 pm »
 Or, in s few weeks or a month, a new plea. "Our analysis has shown that converting all of our designs to use an alternative name not infringing on Energizer would exceed our available capital. Therefore we are starting a second round of crowdfunding for all our believers to make our (insert new name for product here) dream a reality."

Maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas.....

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5428 on: May 08, 2016, 05:27:49 pm »
Thanks for your patience during the last year, while we reworked everything to use our new name.

Unfortunately, I regret to announce that, due to yet another lawsuit by Big Battery, we will not be able to ship under the Battacell name. Though we believe their claim to be baseless, we have already begin rework in hopes of shipping next year, and hope for your understanding and patience. Rest assured, you will receive your Battovacs.

Offline mikerj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5429 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:32 pm »
Anyone see Phineas and Ferb? Bob reminds me of Doofenshmirtz and his gadgets that always backfire, so it should be called the "Batterylifeextenderinator"

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5430 on: May 09, 2016, 12:36:41 am »
"Unfortunately the new longer product name does not fit very well on the batterooster sleeves and may cause compatibility and/or fitting issues with some devices. Legal costs have drained all the money raised to build the batteroosters, we are thankful for your continuing support and help to raise more money to fight evil battery mafia. Let's save children and whales together!"
No, there was nothing wrong with the size of the Batterooster text, but the subsequent barriers to entry put up by shiny-arsed pen-pusher bureaucrats insisting on CE, UL, FCC and WEEE symbols and certifications. So many logos, not even enough room on the D cell Batterooster could comply!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5431 on: May 09, 2016, 02:21:12 am »
Or, in s few weeks or a month, a new plea. "Our analysis has shown that converting all of our designs to use an alternative name not infringing on Energizer would exceed our available capital. Therefore we are starting a second round of crowdfunding for all our believers to make our (insert new name for product here) dream a reality."
 Maybe I shouldn't give them any ideas.....

Too late, they follow this forum closely. Probably already working on the new campaign...

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5432 on: May 09, 2016, 04:13:52 am »
Too late, they follow this forum closely. Probably already working on the new campaign...
They are probably waiting for us to come up with a fully working design as we try and reverse engineer the idea. WattSekunde's effort (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-751-how-to-debunk-a-product-(the-batteriser)/msg933313/#msg933313) was pretty good, but I think it can only do a few hundred milliamps. It is all our fault.

Have to admit, I was thinking "there is no way a tiny SMD inductor can handle the current". I did some calculations and I was surprised to find that 0.8mm and 0.9mm high inductors are available that can handle up to 4A at the minimum practical inductance of about 200nH. With a 0.1mm thick metal core circuit board, it could work...sort of.

Offline Biff383

• Regular Contributor
  • Oh Crap!!!
« Reply #5433 on: May 09, 2016, 05:06:04 am »
  Hmmm a new name, maybe Batteroops?

Offline amspire

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5434 on: May 09, 2016, 05:18:51 am »
How about Vaporiser short for Vapourware Batteriser? Can come in different scents, such as the Male Cow Byproduct scent.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5435 on: May 09, 2016, 05:26:18 am »
How about Vaporiser short for Vapourware Batteriser? Can come in different scents, such as the Male Cow Byproduct scent.

The "iser" part of that will have the same trademark hassle as they currently face.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5436 on: May 09, 2016, 12:11:01 pm »

Sounds awfully close to this product...

Don't want Procter & Gamble coming after you!

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5437 on: May 09, 2016, 12:15:51 pm »
Just in from a dutch news website: Paypal stops the 180 days buyer protection for Indiegogo and other crowdfunding sites after 25th of June.
This is due to the growing number of crowdfunding campaigns that fail to deliver (currently 9%). Personally I think it is the Batteriser campaign that has them worried  :D

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full

Offline StuUK

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5438 on: May 09, 2016, 12:47:53 pm »
Just in from a dutch news website: Paypal stops the 180 days buyer protection for Indiegogo and other crowdfunding sites after 25th of June.
This is due to the growing number of crowdfunding campaigns that fail to deliver (currently 9%). Personally I think it is the Batteriser campaign that has them worried  :D

Sensible move on Paypals part....

Offline FrankBuss

• Supporter
    • Frank Buss
« Reply #5439 on: May 09, 2016, 05:00:52 pm »

Interesting, they stop the purchase protection for crowdfunding, government and gambling payments. Right, all the same, you don't get anything back from all of them :)
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Electronics, hiking, retro-computing, electronic music etc.: https://www.youtube.com/c/FrankBussProgrammer

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5440 on: May 09, 2016, 06:11:32 pm »
So that is a hell of a good news to crowdfunding scammers, isn't it? No worries now about "contributions" been pulled by Paypal.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5441 on: May 09, 2016, 06:17:26 pm »
So that is a hell of a good news to crowdfunding scammers, isn't it? No worries now about "contributions" been pulled by Paypal.

I don't think that was ever a real danger to them. This is just Paypal trying to save themselves some work.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #5442 on: May 09, 2016, 08:43:02 pm »

Hurry up !   You only have until  June 25 to buy your Batteriser using PayPal.
Just think how famous you will be if you get one.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5443 on: May 09, 2016, 09:09:07 pm »

Indeed, but I find it strange that Paypal didn't just withdraw their services to the crowdfunding outfits based on excessive unrecoverable refunds. After all, I am sure if I had the level of chargebacks the crowdfunders seem to suffer, Paypal would have no qualms in telling me where to go, that is their standard MO after all.

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5444 on: May 10, 2016, 08:48:37 am »

Indeed, but I find it strange that Paypal didn't just withdraw their services to the crowdfunding outfits based on excessive unrecoverable refunds. After all, I am sure if I had the level of chargebacks the crowdfunders seem to suffer, Paypal would have no qualms in telling me where to go, that is their standard MO after all.

And loose the 4% they charge on every transaction!?? Unlikely.

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5445 on: May 16, 2016, 06:09:22 pm »
So any Updates?
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

Offline meeder

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5446 on: May 16, 2016, 06:20:56 pm »
Awfully quiet at this moment.

The following users thanked this post: ccs46

Offline ccs46

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5447 on: May 16, 2016, 06:22:00 pm »
Agreed. Maybe they are trying to make their getaway.
Normal people... believe that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet. - Scott Adams

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5448 on: May 17, 2016, 01:25:39 am »

What's with not putting that last update on the actual Updates page in the IGG campaign?
Trying to publicly hide it?

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
« Reply #5449 on: May 17, 2016, 02:53:14 am »
Trying to publicly hide it?

Most probably...  But, why wouldn't they? 

They seem to always try to evade, deceive, misdirect, dupe and defraud...

Simply the latest :palm: in this sad, sordid, sorry saga...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf