Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2307947 times)

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #3925 on: February 08, 2019, 03:54:19 pm »
I see the word baby on them, so I’m hoping they’re baby wipe containers

Offline DDunfield

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3926 on: February 08, 2019, 03:59:26 pm »
Finally got around to tidying the lab to the point where it's not too embarrassing to take photos... Main workshop is still off-limits (project for spring!), but I did include a snap of the corner where I do smaller physical work and soldering.

Dave

Are those white, pink and blue boxes, ice cream containers?

I wish! - nope, they are "baby wipe" containers... and very old.  Kids are through school(s) and moved out several years now.
I have to confess I've not even looked in most of them in quite some time - another cleanup project!

Dave

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #3927 on: February 08, 2019, 11:31:22 pm »
You're giving me space-envy too. Or more accurately, 'high ratio of space to stuff' envy.
Conflicted with a pet hate - chipboard shelving with not enough support, thus sagging and possibly giving way at any moment.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline BFX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3928 on: February 19, 2019, 07:59:25 pm »
Have a nice Silvester and Happy New Year  :-+  :popcorn:
Last state from lab in this year :) (little bit blurry but you know alcohol and let's fire up as much instruments as possible :D)

What is that Anritsu (if it is?) with the metric shit-ton of BNCs in the front?

Looks like a Anritsu MG3681A

Exactly  8)

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3929 on: March 03, 2019, 07:07:56 pm »
Finally got around to tidying the lab to the point where it's not too embarrassing to take photos... Main workshop is still off-limits (project for spring!), but I did include a snap of the corner where I do smaller physical work and soldering.

Dave

Space can only be replaced by more space. :D Nice large benches :)

There will be a project, that will take it to the limit:

Currently working on a R&S test-receiver. Takes up most of my "dirt-work-electronic" bench and makes it actually look quite tiny :D

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3930 on: March 04, 2019, 05:19:35 am »

When I was working I was known for my "1 sq ft" rule.  That is, that no matter how big your bench is, you will fill all of it with test gear, spare parts, small tools, books, jigs, meters, probes, and all sorts of other miscellaneous crap.  That is except for one square foot directly in front of your chair.  Because that's where the magic happens.  That 1 sq ft space is all that's left for the project circuit to occupy and its the only space that will ever be empty from time to time.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

The following users thanked this post: hwj-d

Offline ajb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3931 on: March 04, 2019, 05:58:59 pm »

When I was working I was known for my "1 sq ft" rule.  That is, that no matter how big your bench is, you will fill all of it with test gear, spare parts, small tools, books, jigs, meters, probes, and all sorts of other miscellaneous crap.  That is except for one square foot directly in front of your chair.  Because that's where the magic happens.  That 1 sq ft space is all that's left for the project circuit to occupy and its the only space that will ever be empty from time to time.

I find this is often accompanied by the Law of Edgeward Creep, where your clean working area slowly fills from the back towards the front, and you inevitably find yourself working within a few inches of the front edge, where the chances of pinging critical components off into the under-the-bench abyss of no return is at its peak.

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3932 on: March 04, 2019, 07:15:56 pm »

I find this is often accompanied by the Law of Edgeward Creep, where your clean working area slowly fills from the back towards the front, and you inevitably find yourself working within a few inches of the front edge, where the chances of pinging critical components off into the under-the-bench abyss of no return is at its peak.

Personally I'm working on pushing the working area to 2 sq ft. . . .and I'm almost there  ;D
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3933 on: March 04, 2019, 07:21:10 pm »
Hehe :D

Yeah, the "bench physics". To avoid this, as the ESD-mat proved to be extremely useless, I got such a thick, heavy rubber mat with holes.
Quite pricey, but I love it. Acts like a dam to all the junk accumulating behind there and also keeps cut-offs, de-soldered parts and so on from scratching cases of equipment.

It gets cleaned out every few weeks, when enough crap is in there... will happen soon, I guess. Nice side-effect: Less of the stuff on the floor as it's kept in there.

I can only recommend anybody to get one of these, ESD-safe, practically indestructible, one bought for your whole life.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, duckduck

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3934 on: March 04, 2019, 10:36:32 pm »
Hehe :D

Yeah, the "bench physics". To avoid this, as the ESD-mat proved to be extremely useless, I got such a thick, heavy rubber mat with holes.
Quite pricey, but I love it. Acts like a dam to all the junk accumulating behind there and also keeps cut-offs, de-soldered parts and so on from scratching cases of equipment.

It gets cleaned out every few weeks, when enough crap is in there... will happen soon, I guess. Nice side-effect: Less of the stuff on the floor as it's kept in there.

I can only recommend anybody to get one of these, ESD-safe, practically indestructible, one bought for your whole life.

That looks handy! Do you know make/type or how do they call it?

Offline Johnny10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3935 on: March 05, 2019, 02:58:18 am »
I would just fill it with screws and parts from 3 different projects and still not have a place to keep the screws from the device I am working on today!
Tektronix TDS7104, DMM4050, HP 3561A, HP 35665, Tek 2465A, HP8903B, DSA602A, Tek 7854, 7834, HP3457A, Tek 575, 576, 577 Curve Tracers, Datron 4000, Datron 4000A, DOS4EVER uTracer, HP5335A, EIP534B 20GHz Frequency Counter, TrueTime Rubidium, Sencore LC102, Tek TG506, TG501, SG503, HP 8568B

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3936 on: March 05, 2019, 12:08:25 pm »
They are called "Assembly grid mat" in English.
Here, you find one: http://www.bjz.de/artikel/show/2005

And yes, the 3 kg are not a joke, this thing is quite heavy.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, exor

Offline exor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3937 on: March 06, 2019, 11:08:18 pm »
They are called "Assembly grid mat" in English.
Here, you find one: http://www.bjz.de/artikel/show/2005

And yes, the 3 kg are not a joke, this thing is quite heavy.
Thanks! They won’t sell direct to end users but I will find it somewhere!

Offline DL8RI

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3938 on: March 07, 2019, 10:17:55 am »
Ah, sorry.
Bürklin has it, and since you're EU-based, shipping should not be a total killer.
https://www.buerklin.com/en/conductive-bench-mat/p/07l306

Offline odessa

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3939 on: March 07, 2019, 12:27:14 pm »
This used to be our dining room  :)

When  I die I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandad ... Not all shouting and screaming like the passengers on his bus.

The following users thanked this post: BillyD, xrunner

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #3940 on: March 08, 2019, 03:31:02 am »
Looks much more useful, now. :-DD :-+
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

The following users thanked this post: odessa

Offline DinkyMods

• Contributor
« Reply #3941 on: March 09, 2019, 09:43:48 pm »
A shot of my little lab for playing with the electronics side of things. The rest of the gear is spread throughout the house. 3x 3D printers in the living room, one in the bedroom, oh can’t forget the 40W CO2 laser cutter occupying the kitchen table. I’m a lucky man to have a spouse that’s loves all of it and doesn’t mind our house full of toys.

Offline Yansi

• Super Contributor
  • STM32, STM8, AVR, 8051
« Reply #3942 on: March 10, 2019, 09:34:24 pm »
Where do they get girls like that?  :o

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3943 on: March 10, 2019, 09:58:13 pm »
Where do they get girls like that?  :o

I was going to ask if she had a Sister  ;)
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #3944 on: March 10, 2019, 11:03:58 pm »
I’m a lucky man to have a spouse that’s loves all of it and doesn’t mind our house full of toys.

You are a lucky man.  Mrs GreyWoolfe doesn't share your spouses love, that is for sure. |O  At least I am completely self contained in my own Woolfe Den, including the job that pays the mortgage.  >:D  The only thing that knots her knickers is my 285 foot 80 meter loop antenna that crosses over the front of the property.  When she starts complaining, I tell her that I will sell all my stuff, leave the club and get out of the hobby.  That drops the noise floor to acceptable levels.  I don't even have to bring up the---"It's better than going to the bars!" argument.  S1 is much nicer than S9 on the meter.  :-DD
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #3945 on: March 10, 2019, 11:46:08 pm »
A shot of my little lab for playing with the electronics side of things. The rest of the gear is spread throughout the house. 3x 3D printers in the living room, one in the bedroom, oh can’t forget the 40W CO2 laser cutter occupying the kitchen table. I’m a lucky man to have a spouse that’s loves all of it and doesn’t mind our house full of toys.

Damn dude, she's a keeper!  :-+

Offline DinkyMods

• Contributor
« Reply #3946 on: March 11, 2019, 12:46:45 am »
I’m a lucky man to have a spouse that’s loves all of it and doesn’t mind our house full of toys.

You are a lucky man.  Mrs GreyWoolfe doesn't share your spouses love, that is for sure. |O  At least I am completely self contained in my own Woolfe Den, including the job that pays the mortgage.  >:D  The only thing that knots her knickers is my 285 foot 80 meter loop antenna that crosses over the front of the property.  When she starts complaining, I tell her that I will sell all my stuff, leave the club and get out of the hobby.  That drops the noise floor to acceptable levels.  I don't even have to bring up the---"It's better than going to the bars!" argument.  S1 is much nicer than S9 on the meter.  :-DD

There is always the other great argument...at least you know where I’m at.  Lol

Offline DinkyMods

• Contributor
« Reply #3947 on: March 11, 2019, 12:49:37 am »

A keeper and then some! I don’t know how I hit the lottery this time. Maybe karma giving me a break after putting up with my first wife/monster.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3948 on: March 11, 2019, 12:49:51 am »

There is always the other great argument...at least you know where I’m at.  Lol
Sure, at the risk of this:

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: HobGoblyn

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #3949 on: March 11, 2019, 02:00:06 am »

A keeper and then some! I don’t know how I hit the lottery this time. Maybe karma giving me a break after putting up with my first wife/monster.

Good karma comes around. My SO puts up with the hobby. I don't ask questions about purchases for sewing and she doesn't ask questions about my lab!

The following users thanked this post: JustSquareEnough

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf