Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2307889 times)

Offline demute

• Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #4650 on: January 12, 2023, 06:42:37 pm »
My pretty lab that measures 4 m x 3 m. Lots of gear and total LED power from various LED-strips is 1.5 kW. The other side of the room is occupied by my kids' electronic projects. Then there's the 3d-printing room as well.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 10:18:45 pm by demute »

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4651 on: January 12, 2023, 06:54:34 pm »
total LED power from various LED-strips is 1.5 kW

!

!!

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4652 on: January 12, 2023, 07:28:10 pm »
Looks pretty good. Lots of room to expand. I'd add another layer of shelving just below what you have. Then you could move some of that equipment up off the bench top and have more room to work.

My pretty lab that measures 4 m x 3 m. Lots of gear and total LED power from various LED-strips is 1.5 kW. The other side of the room is occupied by my kids' electronic projects. Then there's the 3d-printing room as well.

Offline demute

• Contributor
« Reply #4653 on: January 12, 2023, 08:09:54 pm »
Looks pretty good. Lots of room to expand. I'd add another layer of shelving just below what you have. Then you could move some of that equipment up off the bench top and have more room to work.

Sounds like a good suggestion, thanks for the tip  :-+

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4654 on: January 13, 2023, 01:20:08 am »

The open curtain at night gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I hope that side of your place is not visible from the outside or it could be an invitation to  a burglar.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline srb1954

• Super Contributor
  • Retired Electronics Design Engineer
« Reply #4655 on: January 13, 2023, 06:03:15 am »

The open curtain at night gives me the heebie-jeebies.  I hope that side of your place is not visible from the outside or it could be an invitation to  a burglar.
With 1.5kW of LED lighting it is probably visible to the ISS!

Offline demute

• Contributor
« Reply #4656 on: January 13, 2023, 08:18:17 pm »

It's not visible at all from the street and the curtain is only open when I'm in the room.  :)

Offline demute

• Contributor
« Reply #4657 on: January 13, 2023, 08:36:47 pm »

With 1.5kW of LED lighting it is probably visible to the ISS!
:-DD
Actually the rated power is even higher, 1.5 kW was what I measured at the power supply. But I should be able to go higher than that: The ceiling lamp you see in the picture consists of 60 cans and each can has a 2 m led strip wired around it, each led strip is rated at 14 W/m, giving a total power of 1680 W. Then there are 3 led strips over the bench, each 4 meters long with 4 W/m/color and they are RGBTW, which gives me another 200 W. So the rated power is more like 1880 W. The can lamp would get very hot though, if all strips would be turned on at max for a prolonged time  :bullshit:  (the cans are empty  :popcorn: )

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4658 on: January 13, 2023, 09:44:29 pm »
I can't possibly see any reasonable explanation to have this insanity  :-//
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4659 on: January 13, 2023, 10:05:38 pm »
Long overdue for a lab photo shoot. Arrangement is constantly in flux, the recent theme is power electronics, so the gear I pack on my limited bench space is mostly for power stuff.

My lab is in my bedroom (you can see my bed on the top right corner of the bench shot), and space is at a premium.

As the EE hobby dominated my life and actually became my day job, I have donated away a whole load of book and clothes, and converted my shelves and wardrobe into storage  ::)

Things might look cramped, but in Hong Kong, this amount of space is already a real luxury, and I am proud of what I have slowly built up over the years.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, edavid, Kean, 4cx10000, Mortymore, BILLPOD, Detlev

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4660 on: January 18, 2023, 04:48:50 pm »
... like a bomb hit it as usual.

"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4661 on: January 24, 2023, 01:43:57 pm »
Been a few changes at hippy towers since my original post, mainly due to my ole scope giving up.New scope,old bench power supply moved into the old scope case,old scopes built  in signal generator re cased,old home brew sig gen tweaked and re cased to match,the final straw being a new bench multimeter all meant the old layout didnt work,and heres wot we end up with
Bench  is 151cm x 60cm and in a previous life was  the door to the cupboard that was originally in this space
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 01:45:42 pm by themadhippy »

The following users thanked this post: rdl, exor, bigfoot22

Offline jonpaul

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4662 on: January 24, 2023, 02:19:50 pm »
Accumulated since 1970s, TEK, HP GenRad lab,
For digital audio, magnetics, HV, power.
two  benches are custom made.

On request pix #2 is part of my High Voltage probe/Power Supply/product/magnet9cs designs.

Your thoughts and feedback appreciated!

Jon
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:58:34 am by jonpaul »
Jean-Paul  the Internet Dinosaur

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, TopQuark, exor, TizianoHV

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4663 on: January 24, 2023, 03:02:38 pm »
Accumulated since 1970s, TEK, HP GenRad lab,
For digital audio, magnetics, HV, power.
two  benches are custom made.

Your thoughts and feedback appreciated!

Jon
Please show more of your "High Voltage" bench / testgear / equipment, if you can.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4664 on: January 24, 2023, 06:36:07 pm »
Your setup reminds me of when I had my bench in a closet. Not much room, but I actually feel like I had more fun back then.

Bench  is 151cm x 60cm and in a previous life was  the door to the cupboard that was originally in this space

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4665 on: January 24, 2023, 07:18:41 pm »
Looks fine to me. Cosy can be a good thing.

Also I've seen quite a few peoples setups here in AU and they are just as 'cramped' as yours is. Just because we have a large country doesn't mean that we have a large amount of space for electronics, quite often the rest of the house is used for family or something else and electronics labs are on the lower end of the priority list.

Yea cozy is nice, besides having to take solder fume extraction really seriously, I rather like the setup I have.

What brand of screwdrivers do you use?

I am glad you asked, I might have a mild obsession for screwdrivers and hand tools  :P . Screwdrivers are a mix of PB Swiss, Wiha PicoFinish, and Wera. Other pliers, crimper, tweezers type of stuff are mostly Knipex, Engineer, Erem and Ideal-tek. I generally try to stay away from steel produced north of the border where I live  ::) , maybe with the exception for Iwiss crimping tools for terminals I rarely crimp.

The following users thanked this post: exor, bigfoot22

Offline TizianoHV

• Regular Contributor
    • My Website
« Reply #4666 on: January 25, 2023, 10:54:36 am »
Please show more of your "High Voltage" bench / testgear / equipment, if you can.

[/quote]
No need to say more  >:D. Here my lab, with HV side and precision side.

34970A, Keithley 2790, Hp 6114A, 0-4kV 1mA precision DCDC converter (I built the case), homemade AC power supply (with variac, over current protection, and some safety for HV stuff)

100kVAC 5kVA trafo, 140kVDC using rectifier+cap, voltage dividers (some homemade) and a 24kV surge arrester used as a short duty 34kV zener to obtain stable DC voltage ::).

(edit- forgot a photo)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:10:07 am by TizianoHV »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, PlainName, trophosphere, Kean, 4cx10000, exor, beanflying, NA5B, Trader, Detlev, bigfoot22

Offline med6753

• Super Contributor
  • Tek nut
« Reply #4667 on: January 25, 2023, 03:15:07 pm »
Time for an update I guess since my lab seems to be always changing and acquiring new equipment. And also demonstrates that you can have your lab in your living space and doesn't have to hidden in a closet or basement. That assumes of course that you are single, independent, and answer to no one. All the benches/shelves are wooden construction designed and built by me. And you don't need to be a carpenter or cabinet maker to make it sturdy or attractive. Just basic hand power tools. On bench 1 is a Tek 465B getting it's vertical attenuator switch decks cleaned/adjusted and vertical compensation checked. Common issue on these old scopes due to their age and prior Gorillas beating on them. Bench 2 in the far right corner is the boat anchor section with two more hidden under the bench.       

An old gray beard with an attitude.

The following users thanked this post: trophosphere, bigfoot22

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4668 on: January 25, 2023, 04:06:14 pm »
Finally tore the desk down, got the Kallax backing shelves up and ... it's starting to look better already and nowhere near finished.  LED back lighting and moving more stuff in.

Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

The following users thanked this post: trophosphere, bigfoot22

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4669 on: January 25, 2023, 05:09:19 pm »
No need to say more  >:D. Here my lab, with HV side and precision side.
Holy Voltage...!!! Wins the Crazy Lab contest of the year!!  :scared:  :-+
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: TizianoHV

Offline Tyewr

« Reply #4670 on: January 28, 2023, 01:50:58 am »
1701559-0Here are the workbenches in what I expect will be my retirement house (although that retirement process isn't going so well - I hate do drop my existing customers cold-turkey).  Most of the stuff has been moved off the right-hand bench now, so both benches are fairly usable.  The left-hand bench is primarily for embedded systems and other general electronics; the right-hand bench is more targeted at vintage audio and musical gear.

The workshop is based around a ShopSmith that I got a bit carried away with, and a few other machine tools.  I'm now expanding into another bay of the building, which will accommodate the table saw, planer, and a few tools from this picture in a much more spacious layout.
~~
Mark Moulding
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 01:52:56 am by Tyewr »

The following users thanked this post: edavid, richnormand, exor, Detlev, bigfoot22

Offline Spawn

• Frequent Contributor
  • ³²µ º'ºººº³²
« Reply #4671 on: February 01, 2023, 08:10:58 am »
An update of my lab after exactly 9 years ago I posted here.

Since new photobucked's policies, my pictures are not showing anymore on that link.

Luckily I could save my pictures from photobucket, so here how my lab looked like, I just moved in to my new house back then and got one of the rooms to use it as a lab.

I was really happy with the new space, I thought it was big enough, and I was wrong... I wanted all my stuff in there for my hobbies, not just the electronics lab.
So... Welcome to my mess:

Where is your electronics bench you might ask, I still have everything and added a couple more things, (removed a lot of things I almost never used and stored away)

In the old picture, you will see my old Proxxon lathe, I sold that because it was not powerful enough, it was usable but with a lot of care and patience, but I regret selling it after a while, so got myself another lathe last year, with a milling attachment, and I love it. But when I use it, I have to cover up my electronics part of my bench to avoid flying metal chips getting into the equipment.
I fully modified the lathe and milling head to my needs, converted the lathe to a VFD controller and new motor.

Here a full front view of the bench, electronics, airbrush and metalworking part combined on one bench.

I also have 3D printers as a hobby and I restore old vintage sewing machines, you don't see the sewing machines on the pictures since I keep them in another room. A man can't have enough hobbies, I guess  |O

Here 2 of my 3D printers and part of the tools board, I have one smaller 3D printer on the right side. I don't use the SLA 3D printer anymore, the cleaning and curing took too much of my time...

In the corner just next to the door, is a shelf with my Proxxon and battery powered Bosch tools, just in front of that I got 2 silent compressors for my airbrushing and cleaning stuff.

Here is a full view of my tool board, I had to find a way to store my Bosch batteries and drills, impact drivers and some other power tools, so I printed holders for those and mounted upside down on the shelf.

I got a small wooden drawer last week to store my most used test lead attachments and two scope probes, it is so easy to grab it from there than searching in a box full of attachments, I printed a deep holder and put it under my analog multimeter to store my test leads, there is another print next to my Owon multimeter to hold two another test leads. To keep the test leads of my Owon from my bench, printed a holder to wind it up there.

I really love these wooden drawers, I already had one for a while for my lathe and milling attachments/tools:

I like neat and clean work environment, so I try to keep my bench always clean as possible, it is a hard task with a limited space like mine but after a day of use I store my projects in containers and put them on top shelves. So when ever you get into my hobby room it looks like just the same as on above pictures.

We do have bigger rooms, but can't agree with my wife to move in one of those, she says "Space is not your problem, you get too much stuff, and you will fill another room in couple years" Don't tell her, but I think she is right  ;D
« Last Edit: February 01, 2023, 08:21:54 am by Spawn »

The following users thanked this post: Smokey, Mortymore, exor, mankan, pcprogrammer, bigfoot22

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4672 on: February 01, 2023, 09:41:39 am »
It is a good thing that the lathe is a compact. Works well with the room. 8)

My dad also had an EMCO, but not as fancy as yours. We sold it after he moved to a retirement home.

You do have a nice setup though, very neatly organized.

We do have bigger rooms, but can't agree with my wife to move in one of those, she says "Space is not your problem, you get too much stuff, and you will fill another room in couple years" Don't tell her, but I think she is right

Yep, that is a problem with hobbies. No space is big enough  :-DD

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4673 on: February 01, 2023, 05:50:59 pm »
It only takes minutes to turn back into a mess!

The following users thanked this post: bigfoot22

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4674 on: February 01, 2023, 07:31:11 pm »
Since new photobucked's policies, my pictures are not showing anymore on that link.

A big reason why using EEVBlog's image features is recommended.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf