Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2308011 times)

Offline rolycat

• Super Contributor
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #1400 on: August 30, 2015, 10:57:57 am »
Found a B&W image of my home lab about 1985-1986 or thirty_ish years ago.
Guess the test gear..

The scope on the cart is a 7834.
Plugins are two 7A19 amplifiers (with the variable delay option), 7B85 and 7B80 timebases.
$20,000+ in that one mainframe, at 1985 prices.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:01:47 am by rolycat »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1401 on: August 30, 2015, 12:42:47 pm »
Found a B&W image of my home lab about 1985-1986 or thirty_ish years ago.
Guess the test gear.. and camera used to make this image.

Bernice

I love it especially the Tek scope.
Sue AF6LJ

Offline JackP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1402 on: August 30, 2015, 07:13:07 pm »
How much of that do you still own?

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1403 on: August 31, 2015, 07:41:50 am »
Most, not all.

Starting from the left of the Tek 7834 on the cart:

hp 3575A Gain Phase meter, it's long gone. It was replaced with a early hp 3570A & 3330B network analyzer rig, eventually replaced by hp 3577A, most recently hp 3577B.

Krohn Hite 4100A push button oscillator, long gone. It had low distortion and was a good pushbutton freq select oscillator.

On the Tek Lab3 cart, 7834-2x 7A19 with delay option, 7B80, 7B85. Still have this and never needed any service all those decades. During this time this O'scope was used to look at one shot nanosecond events related to timing for 16/22 bit sampling A/D converters made by Analogic as part of a project I was working back then (a really good DSO does a better job today). The timing was critical as there were more than one of these converters involved. These measurements involved sub nanosecond & microvolt performance. Until one works with stuff like this, the appreciation of what it takes to make systems like this work really well can be easily taken for granted.

Below the Tek 7834, Tek TM504 with DM501A, FG501A, PG501 and freq counter. The frequency counter is long gone, the others share a TM503 as needed. None of these needed any more than normal cal-check over decades of service.

The bottom lives the other Tek 7000 plug-ins. 7A14 current probe plug-in, 7A22, 2x 7A26, 7A13 all still in service to this day. In the Lab3 cart drawer is a pile-O-probes and stuff.

Lurking behind the Tek lab3 cart is a Tek 547, 1A4, 1A5, 1A7A, P6042 that would be used when the 7834 was not needed to both would appear if both were needed.

On the bottom shelf:

2x hp 3400A (TRMS voltmeter), hp 400E (AC voltmeter), hp 427A, hp (volts-ohm meter), hp 4332A (LCR meter), hp 5210A (freq meter used as a FM discriminator for the 141T), Keithley 175 DVM, Krohn Hite 2200 ( used a LOT, output stages abused-died more than once and shorted tant caps on occasion) all still in service today except for the hp 3565A which is parked.

Top shelf:

hp in-house test fixture isolated variac with meters for current & volts and 0-140VAC + 0 to 280VAC outlets. These were never sold but used within hp as needed. hp 3569B DVM have several of these, the AC volts goes to 10Mhz and more (parked in storage with the others). On the end is a Boonton 71A LC meter, full scale from 1pF to 1000pF, 1uH to 1000uH has DC bias at the test terminals and meter off to allow use with a recorder or system The test freq is 1Mhz, very accurate, stable over time and used fire bottles. This 71A has never given any trouble over all these decades of service. There is a hp 8600A marker/counter used with the hp8601A, both are long gone.

In the foreground of the table top is a hp 141T system with several plug-ins from 20 Hz to 18.6 Ghz, tracking generator (not in this pix). The 141T system (cost more than the Tek 7834 system on the cart back then) is long gone, replaced with hp 8569A and recently 8566B. There was a  hp 8410A network analyzer in process and a Boonton 250A that does not appear as it was too far off to the side.

There was a LOT of test gear, parts and much more not seen in this image.

Today, much has been passed on or upgraded as technology and work related requires it.

This was one of the perks of being in Silicon Valley back in those days and having family at hp. Back then computing were institutional items, Apple was just a bud, Silicon chip fab was cranking full till. National Semi was the analog leader, Linear Technology was just starting, Fairchild was nearly dead, hewlett packard in it's hey-day, Tek in it's hey-day, Wavetak, Systron Donner and a host of other instrumentation companies were really going. Most of SV was military, RF-microwave, Instrumentation or chip fab. The Foothill Flea was were all this stuff and more would appear as a parking lot sale. Land and houses were still reasonable, Fruit Orchards were still selling fruit at their side walk stands..

Much of this stuff was purchased at the Foothill Flea, hp employee auctions, local surplus dealers.. There was just SO much of this back then. Many of the instruments needed fixing in various ways. So much can be learned from fixing and keeping this stuff in service and in cal. I have lost count of what instruments have passed my way over the years. There is a file cabinet full of service manual of most instruments that have passed my way over the years. Documentation was gold back then before most of these service manuals were on the web today.

Image was made using a Sinar 5x7 view camera, think the lens was a Rodenstock 115mm f6.8 Grandagon, film is Kodak T-Max 400. Hint to this is found on the upper right hand corner as sheet film notches noting film type, image proportions would identify this image as 5x7.

Been at this for too long.

Bernice

How much of that do you still own?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:47:41 am by Rupunzell »

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1404 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:39 pm »
jack P

Thanks for the buck fifty tour
Sue AF6LJ

Offline JackP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1405 on: September 01, 2015, 09:39:07 pm »
Wow, amazing! Thanks for that, Bernice!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1406 on: September 02, 2015, 03:48:34 am »

[snip: tour of Smaug's and Aladdin's treasures combined]

This was one of the perks of being in Silicon Valley back in those days and having family at hp. Back then computing were institutional items, Apple was just a bud, Silicon chip fab was cranking full till. National Semi was the analog leader, Linear Technology was just starting, Fairchild was nearly dead, hewlett packard in it's hey-day, Tek in it's hey-day, Wavetak, Systron Donner and a host of other instrumentation companies were really going. Most of SV was military, RF-microwave, Instrumentation or chip fab. The Foothill Flea was were all this stuff and more would appear as a parking lot sale. Land and houses were still reasonable, Fruit Orchards were still selling fruit at their side walk stands..

Much of this stuff was purchased at the Foothill Flea, hp employee auctions, local surplus dealers.. There was just SO much of this back then. Many of the instruments needed fixing in various ways. So much can be learned from fixing and keeping this stuff in service and in cal. I have lost count of what instruments have passed my way over the years. There is a file cabinet full of service manual of most instruments that have passed my way over the years. Documentation was gold back then before most of these service manuals were on the web today.

This was why I spent most of my working life feeling quite sad about living in Australia (and being poor.) This was the kind of equipment I could only dream about, only ever saw in pictures. And why in recent years I still indulge an urge to buy/obtain that kind of old test gear - it's compensation for earlier deprivation and this seems like a perfectly good reason to me. Also I love the wonderful manuals that are as awesome as the gear itself. (Not nearly so awesome in crappy low-res poorly scanned and awkward to read on-screen web copies!)

I'm intensely jealous. Also would like to say, please don't ever throw out that file cabinet of manuals. They are much more historically precious than many people like to believe. If you did suddenly need the space, please contact me. guykd at optusnet.com.au  I can arrange reasonably affordable shipping to Oz.

Thanks for the tour!
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1407 on: September 02, 2015, 05:54:47 am »
That file cabinet of service manuals and the other over stuffed book shelf of data books are going no where. These are valuable archives of not only devices from years gone by, they are part of the history of science and technology. There are data books going back to the early 1970's and to the time when semi companies mostly stopped publishing them. Each year at work, there would be a boxes of new data books that would appear. Some would stay at work, some followed me home. Service manuals would appear at the swap and lease where, they would not sell for much at all and often service manuals would appear by the box full and the seller insisted on the buyer taking the entire box, not just one.

There are a number of independent cal labs in and near SV that have very extensive libraries of service manuals. They offer paper copies upon request with a modest fee. Many of the more popular instruments from that era can be found on the web, but not any where near all that was available from that time.  Much the same applies to semiconductor and numerous other electronics devices. This is why I have kept these vintage data books and catalogs as more often than not, this information can be so very valuable.

There is SO much that can be learned from those hewlett packard, Tektronix, Systron Donner, Gigatronics, Fluke and many other's service manuals that is not often appreciated. Some of the very best circuit and systems designers I know spent years of their youth studying what was in these service manuals and learning what made these instruments work and why. Two of well known individuals who spent a LOT of time studying these service manuals and tinkering with test gear from this era are Jim Williams & Bob Dobkin. Stories of other with a similar history can be found on the Analog footsteps blog page:
http://analogfootsteps.blogspot.com/search/label/Bob%20Dobkin

This is the prime reason why there are often post form me about saving and repairing instrumentation from this golden era.

There is a LOT more than just the math to fully understanding how a circuit and it's environment behaves as a unit system. Spending time with these instruments can be an excellent teaching and learning experience.

The current foundation from which much of what is done in electronics today has it's foundations in these bits of history and documentation.

Maybe one day, I'll post images of my current home lab.... which includes some curious meters and related curiosities from Sensitive Research, Weston, and microscopes from Wild, Zeiss and Leitz.

Bernice

This was why I spent most of my working life feeling quite sad about living in Australia (and being poor.) This was the kind of equipment I could only dream about, only ever saw in pictures. And why in recent years I still indulge an urge to buy/obtain that kind of old test gear - it's compensation for earlier deprivation and this seems like a perfectly good reason to me. Also I love the wonderful manuals that are as awesome as the gear itself. (Not nearly so awesome in crappy low-res poorly scanned and awkward to read on-screen web copies!)

I'm intensely jealous. Also would like to say, please don't ever throw out that file cabinet of manuals. They are much more historically precious than many people like to believe. If you did suddenly need the space, please contact me. guykd at optusnet.com.au  I can arrange reasonably affordable shipping to Oz.

Thanks for the tour!

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1408 on: September 02, 2015, 07:52:01 am »
Maybe one day, I'll post images of my current home lab.... which includes some curious meters and related curiosities from Sensitive Research, Weston, and microscopes from Wild, Zeiss and Leitz.

Well now I can´t sleep anymore. Am I the only one?
Please do that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 07:53:42 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #1409 on: September 02, 2015, 08:02:14 am »
Please do that.

I guess I'm more excited to see Rupunzell's photo of his current lab..that could probably makes me even more jealous :palm::)
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1410 on: September 02, 2015, 11:32:47 am »
That file cabinet of service manuals and the other over stuffed book shelf of data books are going no where. These are valuable archives of not only devices from years gone by, they are part of the history of science and technology. There are data books going back to the early 1970's and to the time when semi companies mostly stopped publishing them. Each year at work, there would be a boxes of new data books that would appear. Some would stay at work, some followed me home. Service manuals would appear at the swap and lease where, they would not sell for much at all and often service manuals would appear by the box full and the seller insisted on the buyer taking the entire box, not just one.

There are a number of independent cal labs in and near SV that have very extensive libraries of service manuals. They offer paper copies upon request with a modest fee.

Photocopies, you mean. Which may be 'usable', but are worthless in the historical sense. Nothing beats having an original.

Many of the more popular instruments from that era can be found on the web, but not any where near all that was available from that time.  Much the same applies to semiconductor and numerous other electronics devices. This is why I have kept these vintage data books and catalogs as more often than not, this information can be so very valuable.

Tell me about it. From my own experiences of acquiring old gear then trying to find adequate manuals, I know very well how spotty the online archives are. (And much of what there is, are appallingly bad quality.)
Also electronics data books - this is one area in which the 'it's all online, so just dumpster your physical books' delusion is particularly active. Maybe half my library of data books are from people I knew who decided to toss theirs. I'll NEVER dump mine. They're easier to read than PDFs, you get reminded of other chips, the books are complete with lots of related stuff, and many other reasons why they are superior.

There is SO much that can be learned from those hewlett packard, Tektronix, Systron Donner, Gigatronics, Fluke and many other's service manuals that is not often appreciated. Some of the very best circuit and systems designers I know spent years of their youth studying what was in these service manuals and learning what made these instruments work and why. Two of well known individuals who spent a LOT of time studying these service manuals and tinkering with test gear from this era are Jim Williams & Bob Dobkin. Stories of other with a similar history can be found on the Analog footsteps blog page:

This is the prime reason why there are often post form me about saving and repairing instrumentation from this golden era.

There is a LOT more than just the math to fully understanding how a circuit and it's environment behaves as a unit system. Spending time with these instruments can be an excellent teaching and learning experience.

Yes indeed, I see you are a man after my own heart.
I also have the view that these works are not just a history, but a critical resource should there be any kind of civilization glitch. Most people believe such ideas are silly, but that is just a bad case of normalcy bias. I know from my study of human history (and academic studies like Tainter's 'The collapse of complex societies') that such collapses are the norm in the human story, not the exception. Good luck using 'online pdfs' after a decade or two (or 20, or 100) of no power, fuel or technical education system.
A great deal of the technical foundation of our society has zero adequately preserved 'seed bank of knowledge.' Those service manuals from the 60s through early 90s (before the lawyers and bean counters put a stop to that) are a unique treasure, in the way they detail everything about how the instruments worked. And on paper, that can last hundreds of years if simply kept dry and safe from the elements. Which doesn't require high tech efforts, unlike say maintaining a bank of hard disks and their regular replacement.

Also, and this is very important - ink on paper can't be edited and deliberately corrupted or expunged. If it's there, it's original and true. Something that can't be relied on with digital copies. If you think deliberate 'historical revision' doesn't happen with digital media, you are not paying attention. It happens all the time with film and music for instance.

For those who were wondering why I was spitting mad about ManualsPlus being trashed, this is why. I consider that event a kind of vandalism against the foundations of civilization itself. And no, 'saving one copy of each in rented storage', while slightly better than nothing, isn't good enough. I really do think some people should be shot for the destruction of that library. Not the victims, like Becky, or the people who tried hard and did what they could with inadequate resources.  But definitely the business owner, for either incompetence or deliberate acts resulting in the destruction.

Ah well. Centralization of anything is bad, since it exposes the thing to infiltration of control by those who would destroy it.
In a hundred years, it's going to be printed collections of knowledge kept safe privately by people like Rupunzell that will have made a difference.
Too bad there are so few who see the value. But I suppose that is the usual way by which things once relatively common become extremely rare (or completely lost) over time.

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1411 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:38 am »
Maybe one day, I'll post images of my current home lab....
Pretty please, with a cherry on top.  ;D

Offline artag

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1412 on: September 03, 2015, 12:05:30 am »

High on my recommended books list :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Analog-Circuit-Design-Engineers/dp/0750670622/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Analog-Circuit-Design-Science-Personalities/dp/0750616350/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Yes, they're a bit pricey. Yes, they're worth it.

Offline Deathwish

• Supporter
« Reply #1413 on: September 03, 2015, 12:26:49 am »
both online in .pdf format, one at us.archive.org
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 12:28:50 am by Deathwish »
Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline sarepairman2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1414 on: September 03, 2015, 03:16:00 am »
im considering setting up my gpib controlled instrumentation under my bed and running bus bars and hardline coax to my work bench and perhaps hanging some equipment from the ceiling :palm:

dynamic signal analyzer of Damocles?  :-// i could hang a bunch of shit from the ceiling on a circular rail system like a gigantic tie rack with microwave generators and shit hanging off of it. meat locker style

i refuse to fall victim to sqaure footage requirements like the people here  :box: its gonna be like the ISS in this mother fucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:19:45 am by sarepairman2 »

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1415 on: September 03, 2015, 03:59:14 am »
There is a story to how these books came to be. Many years ago Jim William & Derek Bowers put on an annual get together known as Analog Dinosaur party. These get togethers began at Jim's home and eventually moved to a larger location.

http://www.embedded.com/print/4310167

These books a product of these get togethers.

About 2010, These get togethers were resurrected to become Analog Aficionado.

Here is a link to some pictures from AA:
http://s1298.photobucket.com/user/Analog_Aficionados/library/2014%20Analog%20Aficionados%20by%20Ed%20Fong?sort=3&page=1

I'm the gal sitting next to a rather well known individual. Do look at the other pictures to get an idea of who attends this get together.

Bernice

Please do that.

I guess I'm more excited to see Rupunzell's photo of his current lab..that could probably makes me even more jealous :palm::)

High on my recommended books list :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Science-Analog-Circuit-Design-Engineers/dp/0750670622/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Analog-Circuit-Design-Science-Personalities/dp/0750616350/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

Yes, they're a bit pricey. Yes, they're worth it.

Offline Rupunzell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1416 on: September 03, 2015, 04:11:02 am »
After thinking about this a bit and reading the replies, pix of the current home lab will need to wait. It's of lesser value than helping others who are interested in saving-reparing-using instrumentation and related documentation from that golden era. There is an aspect of "showing off" that I'm not too motivated to do. This should not be about toy ownership, this should be about helping others and sharing knowledge and experience of how to fully apply instrumentation to get the very most form them and using them in ways that might be different than their original intent. This which is FAR more valuable than more images of stuff that is readily available on the web and else where.

I got involved with this form just under a year ago when a post appeared about why Tektronix no longer made excellent O'scopes. I took that moment to try and share some historical information and maybe promote interest in restoration, preservation and continue use of instrumentation from that golden era...which has resulted in a rather curious experience for me in many ways.

This old image of my home lab got posted for it's historical curiosity and nostalgia value. The replies and response really surprised me.

Bernice

Please do that.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1417 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:20 am »
... There is an aspect of "showing off" that I'm not too motivated to do ...
... This which is FAR more valuable than more images of stuff that is readily available on the web and else where.

I fully agree with you Bernice, I added you to my Buddy list...
Just showing off don´t bring you any further, just like looking at Lab pictures for a simple:"ohhhhh.. what I nice Lab... mine is so small....".

Anyway in the past 3 months I was setting up my new home Lab. Instead to put here a dumb post like:"Help me, where I need to put my scope, my power supply and my signal generator, how many shelves I need? How high?", I digged into this post. What a goldmine!

Inspired by all those pictures combined with my personal taste, I went to my friend carpenter and designed my own bench (just a simple one, don´t imagine it is like a NASA space station...), I choose the wood and sawed is to the right measure. I am now doing the fine tuning (oil free air compressor, mantis + another µScope) and I can´t wait to post the final results here not for showing off but for (maybe) inspiring other people (BTW there is a girl in my life now which is taking a lot of mine private time so it is going slow now....)

Long story short: surely this post could be interpreted as a "show off" parade, but in my experience it helped to set up my personal lab.

Please stay in this forum I need to learn a lot from you.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 09:11:48 am by zucca »
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Offline alexanderbrevig

• Frequent Contributor
  • Musician, developer and EE hobbyist
    • alexanderbrevig.com
« Reply #1418 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:16 am »
Long story short: surely this post could be interpreted as a "show off" parade, but in my experience it helped to set up my personal lab.

I can't even express how true this is for me as well. It was a huge inspiration, a motivator and an assurance that I don't need to get it perfect. Thank you everyone :)

Offline Leiothrix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1419 on: September 03, 2015, 10:40:09 pm »
I like these type of threads because you get to see the common gear that people have and the way that people organise their parts and workspace.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, it's interesting to see the number of different ways people come up with to do essentially the same thing.

Some people have a "professional" grade lab at home, some people have a kitchen table.  Some may see showing the "pro" lab as showing off, but as an amateur I'll never see a "real" lab, so I appreciate seeing it.  And frankly, if you've spent that much time and effort (and money!) setting up an environment, what's wrong with a bit of showing off?

Offline Daniel_Reyes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: September 03, 2015, 10:43:02 pm »
My showing off comment was a joke and brought about by how impressive the setup was. Disappointed that I was misunderstood.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1421 on: September 03, 2015, 11:39:14 pm »
My showing off comment was a joke and brought about by how impressive the setup was. Disappointed that I was misunderstood.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Daniel, I believe it was my lab photos where you made that comment. :)  But really no worries, no harm, no foul.
I didn't take it the wrong way... maybe others did, but not me. It's all good to me.

Offline AF6LJ

• Supporter
« Reply #1422 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:36 am »
A gob and a bunch of good gear here from the as one poster put it "The Golden Age".
I love seeing it, wish I had more of it. I will no doubt as time goes on. :)
(you could fix the stuff. )
Sue AF6LJ

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #1423 on: September 04, 2015, 03:02:43 am »

I'm the gal sitting next to a rather well known individual. Do look at the other pictures to get an idea of who attends this get together.

Oops. Sorrrrry! Apart from not taking a hint from your user name (people pick all kinds of nics) I also missed noticing your name in posts several times. Apparently I'm blind.
Well, now I feel even more jealous. *Another* thing there were virtually none of in Australia in the pre-Internet era, was women active in technology. At least not in my rather information-starved no-net circles.

Added: pics below are my small collection of equipment manuals. A vertical bookshelf at left, and along a top shelf. Mostly HP & Tektronix, a few others. 90% for equipment I have, plus a few random ones for stuff I don't have, and missing manuals for some gear I do have.

Most of my tech and general books are in another building; I keep the equipment manuals here in the workshop. Though the space isn't enough and keeps getting wedged due to too much stuff piling up. I'm too ashamed to turn the camera around and show the other side of the room atm.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:49:21 am by TerraHertz »

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #1424 on: September 04, 2015, 03:47:20 am »
Wow! It's so wonderful to know that a woman is seriously involved in doing electronics, and seems to me that women working with electronics are rare (based on my assumption). I thought your name "Bernice" belongs to a man. DIdn't had a clue with "Rupunzell" who was actually a feminine character.. :palm:
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf