Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059616 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2875 on: September 14, 2016, 05:44:07 pm »
Is the UI a tad more responsive? Or just placebo effect?

I'm thinking of a way to quantify that before I upgrade mine. I want to compare before/after.

OTOH if the difference isn't instantly obvious then they probably didn't change it.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2876 on: September 14, 2016, 06:41:24 pm »
HOLY SHIT IT IS (faster. a tiny noticeable bit)!
Also, the vertical reference updates with the waveform and not after a long couple of seconds. nice.

only thing left is the retarded horizontal offset knob acceleration
rms bug seems to be no more
wow. they can actually fix stuff

edit: no. only at slower time bases :(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 07:28:40 pm by JPortici »

Offline IAmBack

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2877 on: September 14, 2016, 06:42:27 pm »
I don't find UI to be bothersome... I will check it more later..

And it does say +Pulses and -Pulses [snippety snip]
On the menu, yes...on the on-screen measurement it's still Pluses. :-DD
Ah well, I will not complain for my scope having so many pluses over the competition...

Hopefully they won't fix it to "+Pluses" and "-Minuses" ;)
Math->Filter error (timeshift) still present.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 06:47:17 pm by IAmBack »

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2878 on: September 14, 2016, 07:36:29 pm »

I'm thinking of a way to quantify that before I upgrade mine. I want to compare before/after.

OTOH if the difference isn't instantly obvious then they probably didn't change it.
I think I noticed a difference, but it might be just my memory...maybe someone with the old version (you?) could confirm:
When I adjust the vertical position even at slow scan rates (200ms/div) the whole trace moves up and down almost smoothly without waiting for the new scan.
Is this the same behaviour as before? I seem to remember that the position update waited for the refresh.

I should have waited...instead I just confirmed that the RMS bug was then updated and checked it's now gone.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2879 on: September 14, 2016, 07:57:19 pm »
"Pluses": Still there

RMS crosstalk: Fixed. Yay!

Speed: Unsure. I was on 4.03.SP1 before, which supposedly wasn't slow. I didn't specifically move the trace up/down just before upgrading to 4.04.01.01 in order to compare. The speed on 4.04.01.01 seems OK to me. When setting it to a very slow scan (1.00s), the trace will immediately stop when you change the vertical position so that you don't have to wait. However, it can take several seconds for the trace to resume after you've stopped moving the trace up/down.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2880 on: September 14, 2016, 08:01:18 pm »
At minimum sampling memory depth it´s fairly smooth (not to compare with a Keysight), but at higher or auto mem depth setting, it´s still a PITA. I´m not too sure if the instrument got more responsive, I rather just might have got used to it. Otherwise, the new firmware appears to be a good one...  :D

Cheers,
Thomas

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2881 on: September 14, 2016, 08:01:56 pm »
However, it can take several seconds for the trace to resume after you've stopped moving the trace up/down.
I predict that with the trigger in its default mid-screen position it will take about 6 seconds (at 1s/div) >:D

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2882 on: September 14, 2016, 08:39:40 pm »
OK, I just updated mine.

Before I did it I had a good fiddle with the vertical position to get a good idea of what it was like before.

They seem to have tweaked it a little bit.

The way it works is that the trace on screen doesn't move until you stop twiddling the knob, only the little marker at the side of the screen moves. This is the same before+after.

The movement of the little marker is much better after the update. Before it was easy to overshoot and have to go back a little bit. That doesn't happen any more. It's much easier to get the marker to a specific place on screen first time.

A tiny improvement, but it's there. It shows they're working on it.

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2883 on: September 14, 2016, 09:08:28 pm »
Thanks you, Fungus, for reassuring me about the working state of what's left of my neurons! ::)

Where I don't see an improvement is in the horizontal scrolling in zoom mode, it still has the crazy acceleration as in:
- You start to move slowly
- Almost no reaction
- So you accelerate somewhat
- Still no reaction
- You accelerate a bit more
- "Oh, then they are in a hurry!"
- Bang! to the left or right end of the screen.
- Rinse and repeat.

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2884 on: September 14, 2016, 09:27:47 pm »
Nice to see the RMS bug fixed.

It must be just me, but I really like the UI on the Rigol scopes.   I like it better than the rest of the manufactures.   I don't know why people complain about it.  It looks more polished than the other scopes in this price range.  It would be nice if Rigol offer a 9 or 10 inch LCD touch screen with this scope, but for the price.  I like it?

Dwaine

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2885 on: September 15, 2016, 12:11:15 am »
Yep, gotta like it. For larger screens or ones with touch, it's a lot more money. This little guy works just fine for my purposes and it's easy to take it with me when needed.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2886 on: September 15, 2016, 04:44:47 am »
OK, I just updated mine.

Before I did it I had a good fiddle with the vertical position to get a good idea of what it was like before.

The way it works is that the trace on screen doesn't move until you stop twiddling the knob, only the little marker at the side of the screen moves. This is the same before+after.

The movement of the little marker is much better after the update. Before it was easy to overshoot and have to go back a little bit. That doesn't happen any more. It's much easier to get the marker to a specific place on screen first time.

A tiny improvement, but it's there. It shows they're working on it.

That's strange... Just upgraded my firmware too, but on mine, the trace moves in time with the vertical position knob and the baseline marker catches up when I stop moving the knob. This behaviour depends somewhat on the timebase setting.
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2887 on: September 15, 2016, 06:30:37 am »
I've done a search both here and with Google but cannot find out what has to be done to recalibrate or whatever else after a firmware update. I've got the scope just under two years ago and would like to update for the first time so any advice regarding this would be appreciated.  Calibration, gotchas, etc.  Thanks.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2888 on: September 15, 2016, 06:45:58 am »
Copy the .GEL firmware file to a USB thumbdrive that you know works in your scope.
With the scope already running, insert the USB drive in the front panel socket of the scope.
The scope should identify the new .GEL file by version number and ask if you want to install it. The newly released file is version 00.04.04.01.01.
Tell the scope that you do want to install the new firmware.
Make sure you don't have any power failure during the update and don't remove the USB drive until it finishes.
Once the scope tells you that the update has completed, remove the USB drive and cycle the power.
Let the scope warm up for at least a half hour in the environment where you intend to be using it. (Ambient temperature changes affect the calibration.)
Remove all inputs from all BNC connectors.
Run the Self-Calibration routine found in Utility>Self-Cal>Start
It can take 20 minutes or so for the Self-Cal routine to complete.
After the Self-Calibration is done, cycle the power again.
Now connect to a signal source and go and make some pretty colored squiggly lines!

Note that you cannot roll back to an earlier firmware once a later one is installed. (Actually I haven't tested this with the very latest firmware but I expect it still to be true.)

The partial System Info screen will identify the new firmware as 00.04.04.SP1. To see the complete System Information screen, press _very fast_ the buttons in the Trigger section: Menu Menu Force Menu, then Utility>System>System Info. This will show the complete version numbers for the entire software suite in the scope.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 06:56:13 am by alsetalokin4017 »

The following users thanked this post: netdudeuk, thisguy

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2889 on: September 15, 2016, 07:15:54 am »
I assume this update doesn't undo any "liberated" features either?

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2890 on: September 15, 2016, 07:18:28 am »

McBryce.

Correct.

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline Dwaine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2891 on: September 15, 2016, 07:26:50 am »

McBryce.

They are still good.  No issue.

The following users thanked this post: McBryce

Offline McBryce

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2892 on: September 15, 2016, 08:00:40 am »
Good stuff, will update tonight :)

McBryce.
30 Years making cars more difficult to repair.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2893 on: September 15, 2016, 08:45:26 am »
That's strange... Just upgraded my firmware too, but on mine, the trace moves in time with the vertical position knob and the baseline marker catches up when I stop moving the knob. This behaviour depends somewhat on the timebase setting.

I had another play and yes, it depends on the timebase and (possibly) memory depth.

If you set a combination where the trace isn't very responsive (eg. 10ms timebase, "auto" memory depth) then the baseline marker moves first and the trace catches up later (when you stop twiddling the knob).

At 5ns timebase the trace moves first then the baseline marker catches up later. With one or two channels on it's really fast and it's still quite responsive even with all 4 channels on(!).

I didn't make an exact list but it looks like I was unlucky yesterday - most of the timebase/memory combinations are "trace moves first". I just happened to hit one that wasn't.

So yes, a BIG improvement.  Massive. Looks like the DS1000Z firmware team have returned. :-+
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 08:51:33 am by Fungus »

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2894 on: September 15, 2016, 09:39:53 am »
.. And I guess this update doesn't break my precious Riglol hack either? :)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2895 on: September 15, 2016, 09:46:29 am »
.. And I guess this update doesn't break my precious Riglol hack either? :)

Of course not.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2896 on: September 15, 2016, 03:46:51 pm »
If there is an improvement in the UI, I didn't notice it.  With 4 channels and Auto sample memory, the display still lags.  Not that it matters...

It will never be the case that the UI will respond as well as turning a potentiometer that directly impacts the deflection circuit.

Offline netdudeuk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2897 on: September 15, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »
Copy the .GEL firmware file to a USB thumbdrive that you know works in your scope.
With the scope already running, insert the USB drive in the front panel socket of the scope.
The scope should identify the new .GEL file by version number and ask if you want to install it. The newly released file is version 00.04.04.01.01.
Make sure you don't have any power failure during the update and don't remove the USB drive until it finishes.
Once the scope tells you that the update has completed, remove the USB drive and cycle the power.
Let the scope warm up for at least a half hour in the environment where you intend to be using it. (Ambient temperature changes affect the calibration.)
Now connect to a signal source and go and make some pretty colored squiggly lines!

Note that you cannot roll back to an earlier firmware once a later one is installed. (Actually I haven't tested this with the very latest firmware but I expect it still to be true.)

The partial System Info screen will identify the new firmware as 00.04.04.SP1. To see the complete System Information screen, press _very fast_ the buttons in the Trigger section: Menu Menu Force Menu, then Utility>System>System Info. This will show the complete version numbers for the entire software suite in the scope.

Thanks for comprehensive reply.  It gives me the confidence to do the upgrade and others will no doubt find this in future too.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2898 on: September 15, 2016, 05:48:54 pm »

Thanks for comprehensive reply.  It gives me the confidence to do the upgrade and others will no doubt find this in future too.

There are README instructions in the download as well.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2899 on: September 15, 2016, 06:12:00 pm »
I just tried the new fw for the Ds1000Z. First impressions:

1.) They fixed the *IDN? command which they broke in the version before and rendered
 a lot of software useless or had to make workarounds like sending *IDN?;:SYST:ERR? instead.
 I guess that's what they called "Supported the multi-inteface of LXI" in the release notes.
 Honestly, I think this is the only reason they released a new version so quickly. Not because of the RMS bug.

2.) The multi-channel waveform data download bug is still present.
 There's a time difference of 200 nS between the channels:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf