Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059455 times)

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #750 on: November 25, 2014, 06:15:50 am »
So, hypothetically - say Rigol can fix the problem with the DZ1054Z by re flashing the firmware but after which you will lose the ability to hack the firmware

If they wanted to make it unhackable, they would have done so already. I'm pretty sure they make it hackable on purpose.

I know and it's not really what I asked... there seems to be a lot of noise here about how bad Rigol is for having such a bug in their 'scope.

But just say you had to choose? What would you do?
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #751 on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:09 am »
I personally would leave it as it is right now, nice and "upgraded". For my typical use none of the bugs are a problem. And at that price it already paid for itself in my time that I would otherwise spend debugging problems using  blinking LEDs.

I was not impressed with the fan loudness, so I replaced the fan with a quieter one, voiding the warranty along the way. So no RMA for me, not that I would bother sending it anywhere anyway.
Alex

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #752 on: November 25, 2014, 07:39:38 am »
Rigol, Siglent and Hantek all have sub 400 dollar scopes. I wonder what Siglent and Hantek have planned. Price cuts?

Offline i4004

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #753 on: November 25, 2014, 09:55:04 am »
suicide?  ;D

i already said that i wouldn't upgrade firmware for this, if i'll lose bandwidth...

it is more important than nuances i would probably never even notice....no ac trigger, no trigger point at the end of the universe (  :-DD ) and no need to have perfectly centered sweep....

if you gave me best scope ever, i still don't use these things.
but bandwidth of that best scope?
that i would use!  ;)

i'll repeat again: should be fixed, but even if they don't...no big deal.

Offline DavrosTheDalek

« Reply #754 on: November 25, 2014, 01:15:29 pm »
Hi all!
Finally gonna pull the trigger and order a 1054z end of the week.
Could somebody please send me the Tequipment eevblog discount code? Very much appreciated!

Thanks,
Davros

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #755 on: November 25, 2014, 04:32:25 pm »
Careful, the DSA815 Spectrum Analyzer has been made un-hackable from reports on here.
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #756 on: November 25, 2014, 04:40:54 pm »
Careful, the DSA815 Spectrum Analyzer has been made un-hackable from reports on here.

Haha, unhackable.

Offline rodcastler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #757 on: November 26, 2014, 09:36:55 pm »
Just got mine today. It was intended to replace my DS1102E...... BUT:  I was not convinced right away unfortunately.

I love the features it comes with, lots of interface improvements over the 1102E but it's surprisingly SLOW to refresh any user input.

When twisting the knobs to move cursors, or the trigger level or menu navigation, the older 1102E response is instantaneous and at a high frame rate (I'm using wrong terminology all over the place but I hope you get the idea). The new 1054Z is so slow that it becomes VERY frequent to enter wrong commands because you fell short on the selection or went too far. Also, aiming the correct trigger level or a cursor is a pain on this scope only because of the slow response. You can tell from Dave's video when he dials the trigger level.

When using the roll mode, you can easily tell how the line horribly skips pixels (again, can't help but using the FPS terminology to describe this). The 1102E does so much better that I'm not sure if I should even replace it with the new one.

Is there anybody else as annoyed as I am by the user input reaction rate on this scope?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 09:48:23 pm by rodcastler »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #758 on: November 26, 2014, 10:54:37 pm »
When twisting the knobs to move cursors, or the trigger level or menu navigation, the older 1102E response is instantaneous and at a high frame rate (I'm using wrong terminology all over the place but I hope you get the idea). The new 1054Z is so slow that it becomes VERY frequent to enter wrong commands because you fell short on the selection or went too far. Also, aiming the correct trigger level or a cursor is a pain on this scope only because of the slow response. You can tell from Dave's video when he dials the trigger level.

Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean with a single channel on at any timebase? Or multiple channels? My own subjective opinion is that it's fine with 1 channel on, but gets a bit more sluggish with each new channel (or function) added.

Also, the frame rate is a bit irrelevant. At faster timebases, the DS1054Z is capturing MANY more waveforms per second than your DS1102E, which captures a maximum of something like 80 - 200 wfrm/s - while the DS1054Z is capturing like 1000 - 30000 wfrm/s. This means that even if, for example, the DS1102E is refreshing the screen 50 times a second, each refresh contains 1 or 2 new waveforms - while if the DS1054Z is updating the screen 30 times a second, each update contains 30 - 1000 new waveforms.

Offline rodcastler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #759 on: November 26, 2014, 11:24:27 pm »
Can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean with a single channel on at any timebase? Or multiple channels? My own subjective opinion is that it's fine with 1 channel on, but gets a bit more sluggish with each new channel (or function) added.
Also, the frame rate is a bit irrelevant. At faster timebases, the DS1054Z is capturing MANY more waveforms per second than your DS1102E, which captures a maximum of something like 80 - 200 wfrm/s - while the DS1054Z is capturing like 1000 - 30000 wfrm/s. This means that even if, for example, the DS1102E is refreshing the screen 50 times a second, each refresh contains 1 or 2 new waveforms - while if the DS1054Z is updating the screen 30 times a second, each update contains 30 - 1000 new waveforms.

I'm testing with a single-channel on any time base. And I'm sure the scope is capturing fine. My complaint is mostly around user interface speed. I also didn't like the smoothness at which the line is plotted in roll mode (the delay effect gets terrible when adding any math function).

It feels like overall the interface desperately needs either a faster processor or a better firmware.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 11:26:01 pm by rodcastler »

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #760 on: November 27, 2014, 12:26:11 am »
It feels like overall the interface desperately needs either a faster processor or a better firmware.

Well, I won't argue that it could use a faster processor - but at €300 for 4 channels, intensity-grading, and 30k wfrm/s, I'm not sure Rigol could make much money if they used a faster one. I'm sure every penny on parts is meaningful at that price point.

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #761 on: November 27, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »
Siglent's SDS2000 series was ALWAYS identified as "a work in progress"....it still is.

Where is the WIP sticker located on the SDS2000 units that Siglent is currently selling?   >:D  Hopefully it's on the outside of the box, and not on the unit itself, so one will see it before opening it.  I don't recall Nico ever mentioning one on his?

When I look on the Tequipment web site, I see them for sale, and I see their Specs, but I see no "Work In Progress" that they've been "ALWAYS identified as", per your statement.

Offline Bert Camper

• Contributor
« Reply #762 on: November 27, 2014, 09:05:32 pm »
I think WIP is a commercial statement, it's probably nowhere to be found.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #763 on: November 28, 2014, 06:33:13 am »
DS1074Z

Very nice Z-axis modulation.  My old Tek 2465 analog can also do this but it need external Z-axis signal for modulating like this.

Rigol can derive this Z-axis (intensity) modulation directly from really pure sineave from oscilloscope input.

Perhaps next what I see is that this new era magic box draws image of chost or  mountain troll  instead of signal under test for just make fun for user. (Guessing Task (puzzle):  where fuck this "intensity modulation like effect" is coming and it appears at many different input signal spot frequencies. (I know answer. And note for noobs who are amazing all "weird" things, this is how oscilloscope naturally works, it is not bug or failure ;) ))

( WIP  ---  or not )
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:52:19 am by rf-loop »
I drive a LEC (low el. consumption) BEV car. Smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the wises gone?

Offline seavan

« Reply #764 on: November 28, 2014, 11:40:54 pm »
Hi, I have been lurking this forum for a while. Finally decided to buy DS1054Z.

I would very much appreciate if somebody could please send me the Tequipment eevblog discount code!

Thanks, Seavan

Offline igorstep

« Reply #765 on: November 29, 2014, 02:45:50 am »

I would very much appreciate if somebody could please send me the Tequipment eevblog discount code!

Thanks, Seavan

pm sent

Offline nyt

« Reply #766 on: November 29, 2014, 09:32:53 am »

Thanks, Seavan

pm sent
Would you please pm me as well?  It would be much appreciated.

Offline igorstep

« Reply #767 on: November 29, 2014, 12:02:42 pm »

Thanks, Seavan

pm sent
Would you please pm me as well?  It would be much appreciated.
pm sent

Offline jdurango

• Contributor
« Reply #768 on: November 30, 2014, 03:06:30 am »
Was about to pull the trigger on a used Tek 475 when I saw this! Can someone please send me the code? Thanks so much! I'm a long-time EEVBlog lurker on Youtube, new forum member....looks great so far...I'm sure I'll be coming here regularly from now on!

Offline igorstep

« Reply #769 on: November 30, 2014, 06:41:12 am »
Was about to pull the trigger on a used Tek 475 when I saw this! Can someone please send me the code? Thanks so much! I'm a long-time EEVBlog lurker on Youtube, new forum member....looks great so far...I'm sure I'll be coming here regularly from now on!
pm sent

btw, discount codes can be found(or asked) here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/special-price-for-eevblog-members/

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #770 on: December 01, 2014, 05:12:29 am »

Thanks, Seavan

When I bought mine I asked about the EEV BLOG discount and they gave it to me, no secret code needed.
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #771 on: December 01, 2014, 08:30:18 am »
When I bought mine I asked about the EEV BLOG discount and they gave it to me, no secret code needed.
It's needed for web orders.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #772 on: December 01, 2014, 08:37:01 am »
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #773 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:18 pm »

Naw, chat line,  get a quote, convert to order. No phone needed...
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #774 on: December 02, 2014, 08:54:13 am »

Naw, chat line,  get a quote, convert to order. No phone needed...
You're assuming the order is placed during normal business hours when there are humans to man chat windows and generate quotes (phones and email too).   :o  :P

FWIW, I prefer the immediateness of web ordering since I like to peruse the clearance items, which are best grabbed ASAP.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf