Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059498 times)

Offline Micael

• Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #775 on: December 02, 2014, 02:48:30 pm »
Batronix seems to be sending theirs, at least I got an email today saying that my order was already packed and ready to be sent, going to be a good week since I just got my maynuo m9712 through customs, and a bunch of leads (props to franky for helping with that).

P.S. Should probably say I altered the order to also include an IR thermometer, so there is a chance that what is coming is the IR thermometer only, but very much doubt it.

Offline whipman

• Contributor
« Reply #776 on: December 06, 2014, 07:36:19 pm »
Just wondering if anyone ordered the DS1054Z from Tequipment recently? If so, what delivery date were you given? I've been waiting (impatiently!) since mid October. First I was told after January 1st but recieved a recent e-mail stating December 12th. I'm dying to get this in my grubby little paws! Anyone.....?

Offline igorstep

« Reply #777 on: December 07, 2014, 01:39:47 am »
Just wondering if anyone ordered the DS1054Z from Tequipment recently? If so, what delivery date were you given? I've been waiting (impatiently!) since mid October. First I was told after January 1st but recieved a recent e-mail stating December 12th. I'm dying to get this in my grubby little paws! Anyone.....?

i have placed an order on November 26 and order status is "Estimated to Ship: 12/12/2014" =)

Offline Johnny Electron

• Contributor
« Reply #778 on: December 07, 2014, 10:22:21 pm »
I ordered November 29th and also have an estimated date of 12/12..

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #779 on: December 08, 2014, 02:25:55 am »
Just to inform owners: as reported by rf-loop in this thread, the Sin(x)/x switch (in the Acquire menu) that becomes selectable when you have 3 or 4 channels enabled is not, in fact, a switch that turns Sin(x)/x interpolation ON and OFF at all.

Instead, it appears to be a completely mislabeled function that applies some kind of bandwidth-limiting (perhaps 50MHz?) to ALL 4 channels simultaneously, as I demonstrated in some images here. This seems like it might be Rigol's attempt to address the problem we discussed in-depth earlier in this thread: the fact that the 250MSa/s rate has a Nyquist frequency that is too close to the DSO's 100MHz BW. If this is indeed a 50MHz BW limit - that would move it back to the much more comfortable level of 2.5x. But it only seems to be active when the timebase is between 100 - 5ns/div.

@pa3bca - perhaps you can make another image using that 120MHz sine wave input you used before and "Sin(x)/x OFF"?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 02:38:18 am by marmad »

Offline JBR48

« Reply #780 on: December 09, 2014, 01:16:35 pm »
Perhaps a stupid question, but I do not get the screenshot via USB to work. I think the problem is that none of my USB sticks are recognized by my Rigol MSO1104Z. If I stick a USB stick in the front panel, nothing happens (no notification on the screen).
Are there any tricks to enable the front USB port?

Offline Michal_S

• Contributor
« Reply #781 on: December 09, 2014, 01:32:22 pm »
I didn't have to enable anything. What filesystem do you use on the stick? Try FAT32.

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #782 on: December 09, 2014, 04:39:49 pm »
@pa3bca - perhaps you can make another image using that 120MHz sine wave input you used before and "Sin(x)/x OFF"?
Will do that as soon as I am home tonight (at the office now)

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #783 on: December 09, 2014, 05:44:14 pm »
Will do that as soon as I am home tonight (at the office now)
Thanks - but there's actually no need; I asked you to do it once before. Looking back through the previous posts, I found it here. The funny thing is that we were so focused on explaining the AM caused by the leakage, we didn't even notice that the sin(x)/x interpolation is absolutely NOT turned off  ;D

Offline pa3bca

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #784 on: December 09, 2014, 06:05:18 pm »
Thanks - but there's actually no need; I asked you to do it once before. Looking back through the previous posts, I found it here. The funny thing is that we were so focused on explaining the AM caused by the leakage, we didn't even notice that the sin(x)/x interpolation is absolutely NOT turned off  ;D
Too late  :)
Here they are together on your screen: 250MS/s, 120 MHz, Sin(x)/x on and off. Only the amplitude changes, the waveform does not... (And notice that the scope thinks the frequency is 125 MHz or 119 MHz)

Sin(x)/x on:

Sin(x)/x off:

Offline marmad

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
« Reply #785 on: December 09, 2014, 07:50:10 pm »
Here they are together on your screen: 250MS/s, 120 MHz, Sin(x)/x on and off. Only the amplitude changes, the waveform does not... (And notice that the scope thinks the frequency is 125 MHz or 119 MHz)

As I mentioned, it seems to be applying a bandwidth limit on all of the channels simultaneously, but I can't figure out why it only seems to be active when the timebase is in the 100ns - 5ns/div range. If it really is some attempt to help minimize potential aliasing when the maximum sample rate is reduced because of 3/4 channels on, I don't understand why it isn't active at least until 2us/div (the first timebase when the sample rate can drop to 125MSa/s - and linear interpolation - with 3/4 channels) - or all of the time.

Offline jpalicke

• Supporter
« Reply #786 on: December 09, 2014, 11:59:35 pm »

Same deal here, although I just got an email changing the delivery date BACK to 12/31.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #787 on: December 10, 2014, 12:10:20 am »
Same deal here, although I just got an email changing the delivery date BACK to 12/31.
As Rigol has announced new FW is coming out, is it better to hold shipments and install the better FW or just ship the back orders???
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline igorstep

« Reply #788 on: December 10, 2014, 12:22:44 am »

i have placed an order on November 26 and order status is "Estimated to Ship: 12/12/2014" =)

oh, just recieved and email of changing shipping date to 31 december 2014

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #789 on: December 10, 2014, 12:28:49 am »
As Rigol has announced new FW is coming out, is it better to hold shipments and install the better FW or just ship the back orders???
Plus shipments that are in transit.
They may have to unpack a few days prouduction to do so.
What if their production then goes off site to a wharehouse?
Pull all those units back and re-flash them.....massive job.
Unless the distributors are proactive, it will likely be a while before corrected firmware is received in units ex factory.
Best you ask your supplier directly what version firmware is installed before purchase.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #790 on: December 10, 2014, 12:30:05 am »
Personally, I'd say just ship, and let the customer update the firmware (Rigol should make it easy to download by getting rid of the request form nonsense though, which is easy to do).

Gets units in customers' hands faster, and they avoid problems with warehousing (i.e. insufficient space to hold existing stock to be updated + new production). Easier and faster for everyone involved.

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #791 on: December 10, 2014, 01:14:44 am »
Last month I complained to Rigol about the way the keys worked in the Measurements menu. They turn items on but not off. I received a reply today that making them a toggle has been sent to the factory for possible implementation. Push button on for measurement, push it again to turn it off.

They do listen.
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Offline whipman

• Contributor
« Reply #792 on: December 10, 2014, 02:16:00 am »
Same here with the updated 12/31 ship date. Aggghh! I wasn't this anxious with my first born child! I say ship 'em too. We'll sort it out later. Hopefully!

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #793 on: December 10, 2014, 02:38:33 am »
I bought a DS-1054Z last week and it seems fairly easy to use even though I've never owned a DSO before.

Most of the options I've needed so far have been reasonably intuitive, but I'm sure I'll have to read the manual for some of the more advanced usage.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #794 on: December 10, 2014, 03:41:53 am »
So I think Rigol is probably correct holding back shipments. Don't ship a defective product.

Having said that there are a great number of these units out there. I'd appreciate a basic information page on the Rigol website. It should contain a method (test method perhaps) to identify the problem and what features are unaffected. When the problem is solved a copy of the firmware or an option to return it to a dealer for repair.

Having every customer call in for a copy of the firmware, having them pay for shipping to a dealer when a simple download would suffice. Is that realistic?

Keep your customers happy.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #795 on: December 10, 2014, 04:20:36 am »
Most people don't update their firmware unless there is something that they need that was fixed in a later release, so it makes sense that they will hold them to update them if it's a mandatory update.

That been said, people are assuming that's the case just because of some shipment delay, the thing is that we don't know.

As for downloading firmware and installing it yourself, Rigol is pretty good at that, you just have to ask them for it or wait for someone to post the new update in some forum. But unless you want to get burned, wait for others to comment on firmware update experiences before upgrading yours if you have no immediate need for whatever the new firmware addresses.

Case and point upgrading to a version that disables the bootloader with the potential to brick your equipment, I haven't updated min DS2000 for almost a year now and I see no need yet. Eventually I'll evaluate what updates and fixes they been addressed and pick the one with less problems.

A company could have hundreds of QA/QC employees and they might still miss something that hindsight 20/20 would be obvious to test for in the first case.

I mean, Rigol is only a 16 year old company, and for being that young they sure have the right processes in place IMHO, but you can't expect them to have the same level of process sophistication as the bigger players and even those bigger players miss on things often.

Sometimes fast reacting companies don't have stable products, as an example at work we had XP until windows 7 was stable enough and we skipped on vista all together. I will imagine that once windows 8 is stable enough for all our toolchains and requirements we will migrate to that, but it's not mature enough just yet. I like somethings they've done I will adapt to other things I don't like but I know we will eventually migrate unless is a flop like vista was, same with with windows ME.

The point is that running the latest release also means the less tested release.

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #796 on: December 10, 2014, 05:05:15 am »
Nobody has stable products when new. That is true of commercial and consumer products, it's more a matter of what comes back to bite you. Products are always refined while in production, simplifications to increase profit, component changes, firmware.

When caught, fess up explain to your customer and do your best to remedy the situation. If your entire production run is 500 pcs and the gear 100,000.00 per copy talk to the customer directly. That's good business. On the other hand if it's 400 bucks and the production run is in the millions, make a web page. Also good business.

Rigol is involved in an industry where if a company fixes equipment faults their reputation will improve. I also see historically that they do fix their faults, it helps sales.

Now if they where making tv's and dealing with Joe Public. That would be news worthy, it could even be a jitter issue.

Offline whipman

• Contributor
« Reply #797 on: December 10, 2014, 05:17:14 am »
I tend to agree with Pickle on this one. If not a page, at least a paragraph or two about the issue / issues. Additionally, something a little more concrete for retailers to tell their customers who've put up their money and are still waiting with little more the occasional delivery date change e-mail.

While I agree Windows ME, Vista (and lets not forget 98SE another bomb) were surely atrocious, I sure hope Rigol's not dealing with that big a mess! We may never get these on our benches!

Jamieson

« Reply #798 on: December 10, 2014, 02:09:25 pm »
The DS1054Z was released a few months back -- has it had a FW update yet?   

I ordered mine from TEquipment on 11/18 and also got the email pushing delivery back to 12/31.

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #799 on: December 10, 2014, 03:43:41 pm »
The DS1054Z was released a few months back -- has it had a FW update yet?
Not exactly - they have released beta firmware in response to issues identified by several users and highlighted by Dave. This seems to have serious bugs which will hopefully be resolved prior to an official firmware update.

Take a look at Dave's video and the accompanying forum thread for a more exhaustive answer to this question.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf