Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059360 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #975 on: January 26, 2015, 12:46:46 am »
Wonder if the code generators to unlock all features still work...
They still work with the latest firmware.

Might take a few tries before you get your unlock code though (high traffic load).

Offline Zandor

« Reply #976 on: January 26, 2015, 03:40:48 am »
I ordered one also.  Can't wait to do some work with it.  :D

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #977 on: January 26, 2015, 08:37:38 am »
A bit annoying that I ordered from Rigol UK and yet the wait is still said to be at another month!

Just shot them an Email to see, might just order elsewhere and pay a bit extra for shipping.

Offline PTR_1275

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #978 on: January 26, 2015, 09:22:15 am »
I ordered mine through emona last week and it should be here end of this week. I'm pretty excited to get one, it's my first DSO, the current scope is a trusty 20mhz analog scope that will take a different position on the shelf soon. I also orders a dp832 power supply

Offline rolycatTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #979 on: January 26, 2015, 01:11:45 pm »
A bit annoying that I ordered from Rigol UK and yet the wait is still said to be at another month!

Just shot them an Email to see, might just order elsewhere and pay a bit extra for shipping.

In case anyone is misled by the name, Rigol do not have a UK operation - their European branch office is in Germany.

Rigol UK is just a trading name for Telonic Instruments Ltd, who are a UK-based Rigol distributor.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 02:53:52 pm by rolycat »

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #980 on: January 26, 2015, 01:47:06 pm »

In case anyone is misled by the name, Rigol do not have a UK operation - their European branch office is in Germany.

Rigol UK is just a trading name for Telonic Instruments Ltd, who are a UK-based Rigol distributor.

Thanks Roly, wish I had spotted that myself!
Ah well, I whinged at them a little and they said two weeks.
I can wait that much further.

Offline Jetro

« Reply #981 on: January 27, 2015, 07:38:35 pm »

For God's sake  ::)

Search -> scpi command uninstall

Or download the pdf manual and use the search funktion there, please.
Except it has been previously reported that the 100 MHz mod changed the model number and wasn't reversible by "uninstall". Do you know if that is the case, or not?

I can confirm all options, 100MHz included  :-+ are reversible on sp3. Model number is 1054z after uninstall.

Like hammy statet, use the scpi command ":SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall" in the SCPI control panel of ultra sigma.
I can switch them on and off no probs no power cycle needed.

cu jetro

Offline drakke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #982 on: January 27, 2015, 08:34:39 pm »
I can confirm all options, 100MHz included  :-+ are reversible on sp3. Model number is 1054z after uninstall.

Like hammy statet, use the scpi command ":SYSTem:OPTion:UNINSTall" in the SCPI control panel of ultra sigma.
I can switch them on and off no probs no power cycle needed.

All these current scopes are hardware identical to the originals ones, right?
Just the firmware has been upgraded?

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #983 on: January 27, 2015, 09:13:41 pm »
Yago - I bought my DS1074Z-S & DP832 from Telonic in November '13 during the DP832 issues highlighted by Dave J. I have no connection with them other than that transaction. I have rarely received better service than I did from them.

My experience with them is noted in this forum.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #984 on: January 27, 2015, 09:38:19 pm »
Yago - I bought my DS1074Z-S & DP832 from Telonic in November '13 during the DP832 issues highlighted by Dave J. I have no connection with them other than that transaction. I have rarely received better service than I did from them.

My experience with them is noted in this forum.

Thanks Dave, reassuring to know.
Getting itchy waiting for it now.

To be fare they are very quick at answering EMails, and I am quite skittish about online purchases at the best of times.

Thanks again :)

Offline Po6ept

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #985 on: January 29, 2015, 05:25:58 am »

I ordered a DS1054Z yesterday morning from TEquipment.NET and they shipped it today.  Now to sell my DS1052E... 

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #986 on: January 29, 2015, 08:02:24 am »
Need to upgrade my scope to hack latest Seek Thermal MPU code and this Rigol DS1054Z should be fine.

However, what those trial hours in installed options means?  ???

Those features will expire and we have to pay extra or some kind of license was not installed in this review demo?  ::)
12oV4dWZCAia7vXBzQzBF9wAt1U3JWZkpk
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #987 on: January 29, 2015, 10:08:38 am »
However, what those trial hours in installed options means?  ???

Those features will expire and we have to pay extra or some kind of license was not installed in this review demo?  ::)
They're software options available for the scope that have a limited time of activation. Once they expire, they're no longer usable until you purchase the license key.

That said, it can be hacked (here).

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #988 on: January 29, 2015, 01:52:41 pm »
That said, it can be hacked (here).
Thank you for explaining this hack issue.
Why nowadays everything have to be... hacked to have features which should be available not only for a few hours after switching it on when purchasing this thing  ???

I forgot about trial software and license keys... more than 10 years ago when switched to Linux...
Is it possible to connect DS1054Z oscilloscope to Linux box somehow, because of Windows USB support looked very bad in this review?
“Let the future tell the truth, and evaluate each one according to his work and accomplishments. The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine”  - Nikola Tesla
-||-|-

Offline aveekbh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #989 on: January 29, 2015, 03:46:09 pm »
Is it possible to connect DS1054Z oscilloscope to Linux box somehow, because of Windows USB support looked very bad in this review?

I placed an order with one of the suppliers in India. Hope to find out soon-ish about Linux support. :D

In terms of connectivity, I'm not holding too many hopes for USB, but LXI should work. Applications - that's another matter!

There is a thread here on Sigrok support - https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rigol-ds1000z-series-on-sigrok/, but it looks like it's not ready yet.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #990 on: January 29, 2015, 04:26:13 pm »
I'm not holding too many hopes for USB, but LXI should work. Applications - that's another matter!
I've forgot about LXI (LAN eXtensions for Instruments) and it looks like it should be quite easy and cool to automate some tasks with a few lines of code :-+
Remote controlling instruments using LXI

The LXI command protocol is a simple text protocol over a TCP connection. That means you can even use the simple “telnet” command to control your instruments remotely.
 First, download the Programming Guide from Rigol.
Now, connect to the instrument using the telnet command line tool. The port on Rigol instruments is 5555, which is easy to remember.

$ telnet 192.168.1.126 5555
Trying 192.168.1.126...
Connected to 192.168.1.126.
Escape character is '^]'.
*IDN?
Rigol Technologies,DSA815,DSA8A154402661,00.01.07.00.01

Of course no need to use bloody telnet  for this connection while a few lines of code in C/C++ can setup such TCP connection and send whatever we want and as many times as we want and do what we want and write in our software  >:D

Found also this intro Using Linux to Control LXI Instruments Through TCP  .

Here within a one night session someone was able write simple app using usbtmc  to plot Rigol DS1052E channel Controlling a Rigol (DS1052E) oscilloscope using Linux and Python so maybe it could be done with USB, but LXI really looks very interesting, and since we have 4 channels in this quite nice Rigol DS1054Z  no software hacking needed, while I'd like to write my own software and make a few channels scanning and output data analysis, so the only concern is for the moment Programming Guide from Rigol for this DS1054Z scope?  :-BROKE
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:34:09 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

Offline aveekbh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #991 on: January 29, 2015, 05:48:06 pm »
So the only concern is for the moment Programming Guide from Rigol for this DS1054Z scope?  :-BROKE

I found a copy of the programming guide at http://www.batronix.com/pdf/Rigol/ProgrammingGuide/MSO1000Z_DS1000Z_ProgrammingGuide_EN.pdf

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #992 on: January 29, 2015, 06:41:50 pm »
@aveekbh
This is exactly what hungry Rigol programmer was looking for: 250 pages of cool staff and DS1054Z oscilloscope model included in this manual  :-+
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 06:43:45 pm by eneuro »
-||-|-

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #993 on: January 29, 2015, 07:11:31 pm »
Of course no need to use bloody telnet  for this connection while a few lines of code in C/C++ can setup such TCP connection and send whatever we want and as many times as we want and do what we want and write in our software  >:D

There's also https://github.com/applied-optics/vxi11, which has a C library, command line util and some python stuff I didn't look at. I don't know how good the lib is but it may be a reasonable start for the extremely lazy.

The command line app is a little bit irritating and seemed to sometimes get stuck infinitely waiting for a response from the scope, but did kind of work OK most of the time. It's a bit unfair to harp on the command line app though since it looks like it was thrown together really quickly as an example more than anything intended to be useful.

Of course, it's trivial to implement an LXI client from a command point of view so I'd probably not bother with the aforementioned lib. But figured I'd mention it in case you find it useful.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #994 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:19 pm »
Of course, it's trivial to implement an LXI client from a command point of view so I'd probably not bother with the aforementioned lib.
When made a quick view into this manual above it looks like that LXI and USB (usbtc) uses the same SCPI comands, but also other control methods are mentioned:
You can control the oscilloscope remotely by sending SCPI commands via the PC software (Ultra Sigma)
provided by RIGOL. Besides, you can also control the instrument using the “Measurement &
Automation Explorer” of NI (National Instruments Corporation) or the “Agilent IO Libraries Suite” of
Agilent (Agilent Technologies, Inc.).
LXI looks like system independent while TCP is used.
It is interesting from performance point of view which one can be faster LXI or USB ?  ::)
This is some kind of standard ethernet card port from hardware point of view inside this DS1054Z oscilloscope (fast ethernet or maybe even gigabit) or something different?
-||-|-

Offline Stupid Beard

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #995 on: January 30, 2015, 03:01:30 am »
Of course, it's trivial to implement an LXI client from a command point of view so I'd probably not bother with the aforementioned lib.
When made a quick view into this manual above it looks like that LXI and USB (usbtc) uses the same SCPI comands, but also other control methods are mentioned:
You can control the oscilloscope remotely by sending SCPI commands via the PC software (Ultra Sigma)
provided by RIGOL. Besides, you can also control the instrument using the “Measurement &
Automation Explorer” of NI (National Instruments Corporation) or the “Agilent IO Libraries Suite” of
Agilent (Agilent Technologies, Inc.).
LXI looks like system independent while TCP is used.
It is interesting from performance point of view which one can be faster LXI or USB ?  ::)
This is some kind of standard ethernet card port from hardware point of view inside this DS1054Z oscilloscope (fast ethernet or maybe even gigabit) or something different?

The ethernet is 100mbit. I've not tested it, but from what I've read elsewhere it sounds like USB is a lot faster than ethernet and it's pretty slow in general. This only matters when downloading waveforms or using the record/replay thing.

The "other methods" you mention are all just alternative software that uses the same SCPI commands over LXI or USB.

Offline kkessler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #996 on: January 30, 2015, 03:43:44 am »
I just received my new 1054Z from Tequipment, and it "upgraded" successfully to a 1104Z, and I really like it. 

I'm having trouble, though, with one thing.  I can't seem to figure out how to dump a recorded waveform to a CSV file on a thumb drive.  I've googled my fingers to a nub, and I see people complaining about how slow the process is, but I don't see any one saying how they actually did it.  Whenever I save, I only get one frame of the 5000 or so I have in recorded memory, and I select Datasrc as Memory, not Screen.  I've got sequence to ON, which I assumed would create a csv file sequentially numbered for each frame, but it does not ( I can really figure out what that does).

Does anyone know how to dump the entire recorded data into CSV file(s)?  Also, does anyone know what Sequence ON/OFF does?  It says "Press Sequence to choose whether to add the sequence number for the CSVfile. You can select “ON”or “OFF”and the default is “ON”(namely add the sequence number for the CSV file).", but that isn't all that informative.

Offline jbryan2

• Contributor
« Reply #997 on: January 30, 2015, 05:37:51 am »
Heh.  Just for fun I used telnet and :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall [key] to turn on all the options on mine.  It took a minute to figure out that I had to remove the dashes from the key string, but I can turn everything on and off at will.

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #998 on: January 30, 2015, 08:15:54 am »
Does anyone know how to dump the entire recorded data into CSV file(s)?
One of the options in the Storage menu once you choose CVS format is Source: [Display|Memory], you need to select "Memory."

Saving a 6Mpts record to USB memory stick this way takes forever since you are looking at a 100+MB file and a USB stick write speed of about 150KB/s.

I tried exporting waveform data to CSV so I could import it in OpenOffice:Calc and do a DFT on it for power factor measurement. My first attempt was with 6Mpts but after the horrendously slow export and seeing how slow Calc is at dealing with 1M cells per channel, I decided to drop to 60k - sampling at over 1000xFs is already plenty overkill.

Offline eneuro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #999 on: January 30, 2015, 09:48:38 am »
Heh.  Just for fun I used telnet and :SYSTem:OPTion:INSTall [key] to turn on all the options on mine.
This screen looks much better now  >:D

This license [key] I guess is somehow connected with indyvidual hardware (eg. ethernet card MAC address, etc) and you of course payed fot it extra or was generated somehow by those mentioned hacking methods?  :-DD
Didn't look into details yet, so it is interesting how did you "guessed" this key  ;D

Anyway, it is easier to use classic keyboard to enter something than mess with OSD keyboards etc ...
-||-|-

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf