Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059528 times)

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #1025 on: February 04, 2015, 01:00:02 pm »
Looking to get one of these Rigol DS1054Z scopes.  Can someone pass along the discount code please?

Thanks!
PM sent
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline avvidclif

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1026 on: February 04, 2015, 01:28:04 pm »
Search function is very useful or just reading few posts before  :)
A few posts per page on this thread are about discount code....

It doesn't help when every request shows PM sent instead of how to get it.
Clif Holland KA5IPF
www.avvid.com

Offline notaroketscientist

• Supporter
  • Always willing to take a lesson
« Reply #1027 on: February 04, 2015, 02:16:44 pm »
Hello, I am wondering if anyone tested 500uV after SP4.
Maybe Rigol fixed this problem.

Could anyone test it if it is possible?

500uV is for another Rigol scope, the 1054z does not have that capability.

Well the 1054Z(hacked) I have has it or had it. I just upgraded the firmware to SP4 and while it is listed in the installed options it no longer works at all.
There are sharper knives in the drawer. I am trying to get a finer edge on mine.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1028 on: February 04, 2015, 03:58:41 pm »
Hello, I am wondering if anyone tested 500uV after SP4.
Maybe Rigol fixed this problem.

Could anyone test it if it is possible?

Well the 1054Z(hacked) I have has it or had it. I just upgraded the firmware to SP4 and while it is listed in the installed options it no longer works at all.

No, you enabled the software to use a hardware function the scope does not have. Not the same thing.

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1029 on: February 04, 2015, 04:00:29 pm »

As far as I know, the hacked 500µV range on the DS1000Z has never worked in the first place. If it "worked" for you at some point, it likely was a fluke. For most people, all they see is the channel going railed. Even if it had a usable 500µV range, the front-ends are already noisy enough at 1mV that 500µV would be mostly useless.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1030 on: February 04, 2015, 04:07:02 pm »
I wrote a note on the 500uv setting here on the MSO1074Z, I assume it's similar to the DS1054Z: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-683-rigol-ds1000z-ds2000-oscilloscope-jitter-problems/msg584005/#msg584005

Basically, there is usually a very large DC offset, I assume because it's never calibrated out, and the process itself looks like it just uses a lower ADC resolution rather than apply a different analog attenuation, so it's pretty noisy.

Offline notaroketscientist

• Supporter
  • Always willing to take a lesson
« Reply #1031 on: February 04, 2015, 05:08:37 pm »
It was unusable but it was there. It is no longer there. The DC offset and the high noise level were both present. I should add the presence of the 500uv range would come and go. Sometimes it was a visible option sometimes it wouldn't show up. I had been struggling with it because I am not smart enough to eliminate operator error. After completing the firmware update to SP4 it has completely disappeared. This specimen was delivered last week from the last batch TEquipment had and has the 1.1 hardware. Thanks for the information calibration. This forum is a treasure.
There are sharper knives in the drawer. I am trying to get a finer edge on mine.

Offline Masejoer

« Reply #1032 on: February 04, 2015, 05:36:34 pm »
Can someone help me identify some behavior of my scope? I'm new to scopes, but was playing with my DS1054Z last night. Data plotting only occurs after the graph gets past the "0" y-axis. Let's say i set the time-scale to 10-seconds per segment. There are 6-segments to the left of the 0-Y line, and 6-segments to the right. With this time scale, I must wait 60-seconds before I see anything graphed. Once it passes the 0-Y, line everything on the left 6-segments instantly shows up, and the next 6-segments plot in realtime. Once the graphing gets to +60-Y, I must wait another 60-seconds before the graph is updated.

If I set the scale to 1-second per segment, I must wait 6 seconds before I see anything, then I get real-time data plotting for the next 6 seconds.

If I move the horizontal marker to the edge of the furthest-left segment, I get plotting in realtime across all 12-segments. I figured this was some setting I accidentally enabled somewhere, but I can't find such a feature.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is this just the way that this oscope works?

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1033 on: February 04, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »
If I set the scale to 1-second per segment, I must wait 6 seconds before I see anything, then I get real-time data plotting for the next 6 seconds.
If I move the horizontal marker to the edge of the furthest-left segment, I get plotting in realtime across all 12-segments. I figured this was some setting I accidentally enabled somewhere, but I can't find such a feature.
Does anyone have any ideas? Is this just the way that this oscope works?
Yes Display starts after trigger event
use Horizontal position(next to Scale) to move to the left , even off the display.
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1034 on: February 04, 2015, 06:32:21 pm »

As far as I know, the hacked 500µV range on the DS1000Z has never worked in the first place. If it "worked" for you at some point, it likely was a fluke. For most people, all they see is the channel going railed. Even if it had a usable 500µV range, the front-ends are already noisy enough at 1mV that 500µV would be mostly useless.

The software is used across many hardware versions. Rigol supplies the codes so opted to not include a "check" to see if the codes are applicable to particular hardware, that increases firmware size (bad). Using the key generator allows you to enable features in some cases that are not designed in but may appear to work. Rigol would never give a key out that is not designed for that bit of hardware (obviously) and that is the check.

Offline Masejoer

« Reply #1035 on: February 04, 2015, 06:38:58 pm »
Yes Display starts after trigger event
use Horizontal position(next to Scale) to move to the left , even off the display.

I thought I had triggering disabled, or it was possible to disable, but now it sounds like this is not the case? If I change the time scale, I'm forced to adjust the horizontal position again. Seems a bit annoying - it remembers everything but only draws it all once it reaches the horizontal position marker?

I plan on mostly using this unit for pinpointing inconsistent automobile electrical noise. I will be adjusting the scale often.

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #1036 on: February 04, 2015, 07:52:34 pm »
Masejoer, behaviour you have described is consistent with slow time base and a trigger - there will be no trace until trigger happens which can take 6-60s or more. To show real time trace in slow time base:
  • enable "roll mode"
  • move trigger point to the left of the screen - it will show trace immediately after trigger
  • force single trigger manually

Offline Masejoer

« Reply #1037 on: February 04, 2015, 08:17:36 pm »
Masejoer, behaviour you have described is consistent with slow time base and a trigger - there will be no trace until trigger happens which can take 6-60s or more. To show real time trace in slow time base:
  • enable "roll mode"
  • move trigger point to the left of the screen - it will show trace immediately after trigger
  • force single trigger manually

Thank you. Yeah, I saw "roll mode" working better. My buddy has an owon scope that doesn't do this, so I was a bit confused. I'm new to these things though, and last night was simply trying to learn the tool from practice and training videos. The real challenge will be figuring out how to most effectively capture electrical noise and isolate it to a source.

Thanks again!

Offline davebkc

« Reply #1038 on: February 06, 2015, 12:22:07 am »
It doesn't help when every request shows PM sent instead of how to get it.
True.  I was able to get it quickly by opening a chat session at the site.  I'm guessing there's a rule about posting it in the forum (maybe to encourage registration), but it's certainly not a closely guarded secret.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #1039 on: February 06, 2015, 02:08:02 am »
The point is that you need to be a member of the EEVBlog forums to get the discount. If the discount code is just openly advertised in the clear on the forum then anyone can see it and ask for the discount.

Online edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1040 on: February 06, 2015, 03:18:17 pm »
The point is that you need to be a member of the EEVBlog forums to get the discount.

Not really, they don't check your membership card  :)

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #1041 on: February 06, 2015, 09:19:30 pm »
Anyone have problems with the generated codes on the latest batch of DS1000z scopes? I had no problem, but a buddy of mine with a serial # only 80 higher (same batch of scopes) is getting invalid license. Wondering if the private key changed?

Offline Crow

« Reply #1042 on: February 06, 2015, 09:33:50 pm »
Anyone have problems with the generated codes on the latest batch of DS1000z scopes? I had no problem, but a buddy of mine with a serial # only 80 higher (same batch of scopes) is getting invalid license. Wondering if the private key changed?

Does he use the Website or the Programm itself ?
I had also Problems with the Website, that never gives me a Working key...  :(
But then i tried the Windows Programm and everything worked Perfect on the First try  ;D

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #1043 on: February 06, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »

But then i tried the Windows Programm and everything worked Perfect on the First try  ;D

Tried both. Compiled from source and ran riglol on a windows box. It generated the same code as the 1.03d website.

Offline Crow

« Reply #1044 on: February 06, 2015, 09:53:59 pm »
Strange...
What Option did he tried ? The Full Option "DSER" ?

I first just tried the Recording Option and that workd great for me...
Maybe he can try that if not already had....

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #1045 on: February 06, 2015, 10:09:44 pm »
Strange...
What Option did he tried ? The Full Option "DSER" ?

I first just tried the Recording Option and that workd great for me...
Maybe he can try that if not already had....

I asked the same- first he tried DSER, then DSFR just for the heck of it, then DSEA, and one of the others. All failed. On latest SP4 firmware.

Offline cnielsen2006

« Reply #1046 on: February 08, 2015, 05:01:15 pm »
Doh! I'm the one who's codes weren't working. I guess I'm still in denial about my aging vision. Especially when discerning 6s from 8s on small screens.

Manged to get myself locked out for the 12 hours but I'm sure the new code I've generated from the corrected SN will work fine. Note for others that end up locked out that, like the trial clock, the 12 hours is 12 hours of running the scope, not 12 real world hours.

TY dadler & Crow

Offline aveekbh

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1047 on: February 08, 2015, 05:17:47 pm »
I compiled the program on Linux and it worked. However, my unit is from November 2014, according to the calibration certificate.

Offline keninvic

• Contributor
« Reply #1048 on: February 08, 2015, 06:24:08 pm »

Did he try a few times, the web version doesnt necessarily spit out a working key 1st time,  but it definetely works.  it may take a few attempts, and use DSER.

Most have applied the key then installed SP4.   Has anyone else tried putting the DSER key in at SP4?

Offline DanielS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1049 on: February 08, 2015, 06:46:57 pm »
I used the online Riglol to generate the code for my DS1054Z and it worked on the first time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf