Author Topic: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope  (Read 2059370 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: New Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope
« Reply #2550 on: July 25, 2016, 05:38:28 pm »
Thanks @Fungus. But your cursor setting is not what i told (it must Cursor/Mode:Auto-Auto Item: QuickX (ch2 RMS))

:palm:

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2551 on: July 25, 2016, 05:42:23 pm »
the Math Horizontal Error at 500 ns/div seems to be GONE !!

I am still testing for the Measurements Fail bug. This one was totally random in the time it took to fail so it may take me a while to be confident that it is gone.

The interface doesn't seem quite as sluggish as it was before, but that might just be subjective.

That's pretty much all the major complaints fixed.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2552 on: July 25, 2016, 05:43:54 pm »
If I were to speculate, it is a problem how they handle data for RMS calc.. RMS is calculated as a running filter on a circular buffer... multiplexed between channels.. could be that  some data in some buffer leaks to a next channel or something like that..

If that's true then how do you explain that the bug comes and goes depending on the vertical scale?

Offline Meka77 wd

• Contributor
« Reply #2553 on: July 25, 2016, 05:52:08 pm »
@Fungus
What don't you understand...

It's amplifies error voltage with vertical settings goes higher (like volume pot :P ) and multiplies with Ch2's probe compensation setting.

Did you see my ds1000z vs. ds2000a compared side by side with same settings?

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
« Reply #2554 on: July 25, 2016, 06:04:04 pm »
I was an idiot and tried the following procedure to firmware upgrade:

• Turn scope off.
  • Turn scope on.
  • Wait for Rigol LOGO and 1 beep.
  • Press Help 3 times.
  • <something good happens here>

Instead of that, all of the CH buttons lit up, the scope speaker generated a continuous tone, and it destroyed my USB drive! Yes, you read that right. Now the nice high-speed 32GB USB drive I put the firmware on won't even connect to any device or computer I try.

I thought that this had messed up the USB interface on the scope, too -- because afterward, it did not recognize other USB drives. But a power disconnect and reconnect fixed that.

Anyway, I've upgraded using the normal procedure. I'll report back later.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2555 on: July 25, 2016, 06:06:42 pm »
Also, are you guys doing the self-cal on the scope as requested, after firmware upgrade? I only ask because I now see a new button on the Self-Cal menu that I haven't seen anyone mention.

It now reads:

• Start
  • End
  • LFCal
  • Output

Was this there before? I certainly don't remember it.

I tried LFCal, it does something and then says it failed. It looks like it might need a probe attached or something.

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #2556 on: July 25, 2016, 06:13:38 pm »
I am very happy to report that the Math Horizontal Error at 500 ns/div seems to be GONE !! The Math trace now displays correct time relationships to the input signals.

I am still testing for the Measurements Fail bug. This one was totally random in the time it took to fail so it may take me a while to be confident that it is gone.

Thanks alsetalokin4017 and JohnPen. So far, so good on the rectification of those functional issues.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2557 on: July 25, 2016, 06:31:01 pm »
Instead of that, all of the CH buttons lit up, the scope speaker generated a continuous tone, and it destroyed my USB drive! Yes, you read that right. Now the nice high-speed 32GB USB drive I put the firmware on won't even connect to any device or computer I try.

Unless it has changed in newer firmware, according to the Dec. 2015 documentation the largest USB drive that's supported is still only 8GB (see Ch. 17).

Interestingly, the manual now states that only FAT32 is supported (see Ch. 14), whereas earlier versions didn't specify. So, that definitively establishes what I had suspected when I was having trouble with smaller USB drives (FAT16 and large clusters).

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2558 on: July 25, 2016, 06:33:07 pm »
A corollary - if you increase the Y axis even more - the error in Vrms calculation increases. That is also "broken".

If the trace goes off screen it will fail because the 8-bit ADC will be saturated to readings of 0 & 256.

There's nothing anybody can do about that.

Indeed that is the flip side of what I was saying. Increasing the V/div would decrease the size of the trace on screen. At some point (as the square wave deliquesces into a line) the errors increase and Vrms goes haywire.

However, Meka77's bug is not that phenomena - it is a separate issue that happens between consecutive channels.

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2559 on: July 25, 2016, 06:55:28 pm »
Also, are you guys doing the self-cal on the scope as requested, after firmware upgrade? I only ask because I now see a new button on the Self-Cal menu that I haven't seen anyone mention.

It now reads:

• Start
  • End
  • LFCal
  • Output

I tried LFCal, it does something and then says it failed. It looks like it might need a probe attached or something.

I don't see that...

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2560 on: July 25, 2016, 06:55:35 pm »

Unless it has changed in newer firmware, according to the Dec. 2015 documentation the largest USB drive that's supported is still only 8GB (see Ch. 17).

Interestingly, the manual now states that only FAT32 is supported (see Ch. 14), whereas earlier versions didn't specify. So, that definitively establishes what I had suspected when I was having trouble with smaller USB drives (FAT16 and large clusters).

For purposes of making screenshots, I have used an identical 32GB FAT-formatted flash drive in the 1054z. It worked fine, and detected it as 32GB (or whatever, 31GB).

However, this doesn't come near to explaining why it murdered my drive. It's so tiny of a drive it will be near impossible to take apart.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2561 on: July 25, 2016, 07:03:13 pm »

It now reads:

• Start
  • End
  • LFCal
  • Output

I don't see that...

I just checked, me neither...

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2562 on: July 25, 2016, 07:04:37 pm »

It now reads:

• Start
  • End
  • LFCal
  • Output

I don't see that...

My Bad - it is a "secret" menu accessible only after hittin MENU MENU FORCE MENU fast. And there is a spelling error there too...
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 07:09:30 pm by Assafl »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2563 on: July 25, 2016, 07:06:09 pm »
For purposes of making screenshots, I have used an identical 32GB FAT-formatted flash drive in the 1054z. It worked fine, and detected it as 32GB (or whatever, 31GB).

However, this doesn't come near to explaining why it murdered my drive. It's so tiny of a drive it will be near impossible to take apart.

Yeah, it might work, but no guarantees. Granted, that doesn't explain why it trashed the drive, but thought I'd mention the official limit in case you hadn't seen it.

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2564 on: July 25, 2016, 08:10:50 pm »
I am very happy to report that the Math Horizontal Error at 500 ns/div seems to be GONE !! The Math trace now displays correct time relationships to the input signals.

Thanks alsetalokin4017 and JohnPen. So far, so good on the rectification of those functional issues.

Whohoo! What's left besides trivial spelling?

Re: RMS measurements, do these values fall within the specifications, usually as a % of full scale, with 1 bit resolution? I also recall a channel isolation spec.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:13:14 pm by metrologist »

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2565 on: July 26, 2016, 06:53:06 am »
OOPS.....

I warmed the scope up, did a self-calibration, restarted, and reloaded a saved test setup that I was using to see if the Measurements would fail after a random time. I'm using the same input to both channels, from a BNC T on the FG and two matched BNC cables into the scope. And I saw this very strange thing.....

The Measurements are updating properly except that the Average and Std.Deviation in the CH1  Period_VRMS window are not being computed!   :wtf:

More weirdness: Turning CH1 off with its button removes the trace from the screen but does not stop its Measurements: they continue to be updated with apparently correct values except for the missing Average and Deviation. (It does stop the Math computation though.) Setting CH1 coupling to Ground stops them, except for VRMS which continues to show a value and updating Measurements. Neither of these manipulations start the CH1 P_VRMS Average and Deviation working again.

But changing the timebase started the CH1 P_VRMS Average and Deviation readings working again !!

:-//

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2566 on: July 26, 2016, 08:26:05 am »
OOPS.....

More weirdness: Turning CH1 off with its button removes the trace from the screen but does not stop its Measurements: they continue to be updated with apparently correct values except for the missing Average and Deviation. (It does stop the Math computation though.) Setting CH1 coupling to Ground stops them,

:-//

Exactly what I saw too...

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2567 on: July 26, 2016, 08:57:12 am »
I get the same but the Per. Vrms stats only continue if you are triggering the scope from the CH display you have turned off.  Put another way trigger from CH1, displaying CH1 and CH2. Turn off CH2 stats cease to be collected on CH2.  Turn off CH1 stats continue to be collected.  Move trigger to CH2 and the situation swaps around.  I was unable to reproduce the Avg and Dev not collecting state but maybe it is a difficult one to create.

John

Offline Assafl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2568 on: July 26, 2016, 01:09:57 pm »
Perhaps all of these issues are related to the Meka77 bug (where RMS calculations are linked between subsequent channels - CH1 effect on CH2, CH2 effect on CH3 measurements..). It would seem likely that there is a parameter or a data set that is being incorrectly shared between channels.

I tried to send the Meka77 bug to Rigol - I don't know if they read email or not....

The following users thanked this post: Meka77 wd

Offline gblades

• Contributor
« Reply #2569 on: July 26, 2016, 01:49:58 pm »

Maybe it didn't physically damage your flash drive but corrupted its firmware somehow. Maybe this link will help.
http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/repair-your-usb-flash-drive

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2570 on: July 26, 2016, 05:11:16 pm »
How do I completely clear a measurement? I was trying to set my scope to duplicate some of the setups here and if I pressed the wrong measurement, I can't figure out how to make it go away completely. If I delete it, it stays grayed out and a new measurement will just be added.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2571 on: July 26, 2016, 05:53:41 pm »
How do I completely clear a measurement? I was trying to set my scope to duplicate some of the setups here and if I pressed the wrong measurement, I can't figure out how to make it go away completely. If I delete it, it stays grayed out and a new measurement will just be added.

If I understood correctly what you want, following button sequence :

[MEASURE]->[CLEAR]->[ALL ITEMS]

That will clear all measurement started from a menu buttons on the left of the screen..

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2572 on: July 26, 2016, 06:07:08 pm »
You can "clear" all of them, but individual "removed" ones won't go away until they're replaced with a different one. Unfortunately, it doesn't remove a measurement and move the remaining ones to close the gap, as one would expect.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2573 on: July 26, 2016, 06:24:24 pm »
You can "clear" all of them, but individual "removed" ones won't go away until they're replaced with a different one. Unfortunately, it doesn't remove a measurement and move the remaining ones to close the gap, as one would expect.

OK so I didn't understand ... :palm:

But I tried what you say .. I setup 5 measurements, deleted number 3, and when I pressed a new one, item 4 and 5 shifted left to 3 and 4 and new one appeared on place 5.. 1 and 2 did not change..

Tried twice, and worked like that both times... I guess you can't delete them like that... it might has to do with delete /recover function... maybe  for individual measurements, they should have called it enable/disable not delete.....  :-//
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:28:40 pm by 2N3055 »

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2574 on: July 26, 2016, 06:50:11 pm »
You did it correctly. When you "delete" number 3, it's just grayed out. If you add the same one again, it's just re-enabled in the same location. If, instead, a new one is enabled, then the others shift to replace the grayed out ones and the new one is added at the end. I guess you could call the behaviors enable/disable/replace -- no delete.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf