Author Topic: The EU is enforcing USB-C on portable devices  (Read 52528 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Re: The EU is enforcing USB-C on portable devices
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2022, 06:31:42 pm »
Not in UK -> https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-61720276

Quote : UK will not copy EU demand for common charging cable

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2022, 06:34:16 pm »
Five Eye is an international cartel of a few (western) secret-service agencies.  Usually a cartel's goal is to take control over a market, while Five Eye's goal is to take control over the world.  It's not that complicated.
Is that like the Pentaverte?
Septaverate. I want KENTOR !
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online langwadt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2022, 06:37:25 pm »

at this point isn't the UK just insisting on doing every opposite of what the EU does?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2022, 06:44:13 pm »
It sounds like the UK is just doing the sensible thing and not legally mandating it by banning the sales of devices that don't comply. They're not preventing devices from being sold that have the USB-C charging port, or mandating a competing standard. This is a total non issue, USB-C is already a standard and already nearly ubiquitous, even in applications like laptop charging where I strongly prefer something else. Give me choice, don't force only one option to be available.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2022, 06:56:20 pm »

Irrelevant, because we're too small a market to matter. We will, no matter what the brexiteers think, follow the EU in nearly every major decision whether we choose to or not.

The following users thanked this post: artag

Online JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2022, 06:59:20 pm »
They are definitely after Apple. But it's weird, because the new ruling is that all such devices sold in the EU from 2024 onward must have USB-C charging ports, and I read an article that claimed 29% of devices already have USB-C, 21% are Lightning, and the remainder use micro-USB. So those vendors using micro-USB are in the same position as Apple.

current devices or new devices?

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2022, 07:14:53 pm »

If the law is passed in a market as large as EU then it will affect all markets. Samsung is not going to make phones with different connectors just for UK. Imagine if they did: it would prove just how badly something like this can backfire.
90% of quoted statistics are fictional

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2022, 08:20:21 pm »
USB-C is already a standard and already nearly ubiquitous, even in applications like laptop charging where I strongly prefer something else. Give me choice, don't force only one option to be available.

Maybe not all that ubiquitous, I just bought an HP Omen laptop and it uses a barrel connector.  It was introduced in 2021.  The brick is rated for 230W (19.5V, 11.8A).  The newest USB-C standard will JUST cover this if the laptop is redesigned because the USB-C current limit of 5A is much too low.

I don't know what would be involved with taking 4.8A 50V but it would still require a brick plus some internal modifications that certainly won't promote the concept of 'thinner is better'.

It's a power hog but I bought it for the NVIDIA RTX 3070 graphics adapter with a ton of CUDA cores.

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2022, 08:53:56 pm »
I don't like bans, this is definitely one of those cases where I would prefer to let the free market decide.

Yes. I really hate this trend of babysitting people as though they were all children.

If you are looking for a new phone and the ability to use chargers other than the vendor ones matters to you, just choose a phone appropriately. Done. Do you freaking need to be babysitted for that? And the choice is already there. USB-C has already been almost ubiquitous on mobile phones for years now. If you happen to pick a phone that has something else, that's your choice and your responsibility.

And if you're absolutely willing for the "state" to step in for you because you absolutely want, say, an iPhone, and it doesn't have USB-C, well, you're gonna get what you deserve: to be treated as a kid throwing a tantrum. If there's enough demand for that, Apple will just implement that in order not to loose customers. As simple as that. If not, well, you're acting as a child.

The following users thanked this post: james_s, eugene

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2022, 08:59:45 pm »
I just love that we are again in a discussion where everyone from other continents are trying to tell us Europeans how to govern ourselves.
Guess what, this was made by politicians that we voted for. Strangely, after all this "innovation hampering" legislation we discussed over the years, we can still drink tee, vacuum clean our houses, have light in our living room use our mobile phone in other countries (when they banned extra charges for roaming), and even charge them with the same plug. What a day to be alive.
Please do complain more, that as of yesterday that they also introducing minimum wages that should support basic human decency.

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2022, 09:01:35 pm »
Customers may not care what charging port is used on the device, but part of the reason is reduction of e-waste, which is something governments have to think about and have better perspective on. No individual would care, just like no individual cares about use of single-use plastics.
Alex

The following users thanked this post: voltsandjolts, newbrain

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2022, 09:02:11 pm »
I don't like bans, this is definitely one of those cases where I would prefer to let the free market decide.

Yes. I really hate this trend of babysitting people as though they were all children.

If you are looking for a new phone and the ability to use chargers other than the vendor ones matters to you, just choose a phone appropriately. Done. Do you freaking need to be babysitted for that? And the choice is already there. USB-C has already been almost ubiquitous on mobile phones for years now. If you happen to pick a phone that has something else, that's your choice and your responsibility.

And if you're absolutely willing for the "state" to step in for you because you absolutely want, say, an iPhone, and it doesn't have USB-C, well, you're gonna get what you deserve: to be treated as a kid throwing a tantrum. If there's enough demand for that, Apple will just implement that in order not to loose customers. As simple as that. If not, well, you're acting as a child.
It's not just phones:
"Any cell phone, tablet, e-reader, earbuds, digital camera, headphones, headset, handheld video game console, or portable speaker that has a rechargeable battery that’s charged over a wire (rather than, say, a dedicated charging dock or wirelessly) will have to have a USB-C port, regardless of the manufacturer. "

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2022, 09:40:51 pm »
I just love that we are again in a discussion where everyone from other continents are trying to tell us Europeans how to govern ourselves.

It seems you take yourself as a European far more seriously than I do.

The problem is that if every portable device sold in the EU must have USB C, then 15 years from now everyone in the world will still be using USB C even if better alternatives have become available, and they will. In this case, Europeans end up governing the world, and I legitimately care about that.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2022, 09:52:45 pm »

The problem is that if every portable device sold in the EU must have USB C, then 15 years from now everyone in the world will still be using USB C even if better alternatives have become available, and they will. In this case, Europeans end up governing the world, and I legitimately care about that.
Too bad, but guess what, here is your own argument for you:  It's a free market. We decided that we are just not going to import a random assortment of plugs anymore, and we have the right to do so. You are free to do whatever you want with your domestic products.

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2022, 09:56:28 pm »
It sounds like the UK is just doing the sensible thing and not legally mandating it by banning the sales of devices that don't comply. They're not preventing devices from being sold that have the USB-C charging port, or mandating a competing standard. This is a total non issue, USB-C is already a standard and already nearly ubiquitous, even in applications like laptop charging where I strongly prefer something else. Give me choice, don't force only one option to be available.

There's probably a lot to the point you are making. I have an old XPS13. The charger that came with it had barrel connector. For some reason, the thing stopped charging, but I found that it would charge through the USB C connector. I continue to use it years later.

So, it wouldn't (won't) be so bad if laptops and other large battery powered devices also offer an alternative. The problem is that every little battery powered device made today charges through USB. If they're all required to use USB C, then when something better comes along then there will be two standards. USB C will not be allowed to die a natural death. It will continue to be everywhere in tandem with the newer standard. So phones, which really don't have room for too many ports, will be stuck with USB C instead of what consumers really want (at least the low end ones.). All of which seems completely counterproductive to the proposed law, but I'm not in the heads of the lawmakers, so I don't really know what they're thinking.

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2022, 09:58:25 pm »
Too bad, but guess what, here is your own argument for you:  It's a free market. We decided that we are just not going to import a random assortment of plugs anymore, and we have the right to do so. You are free to do whatever you want with your domestic products.

Good point. I'm also free to complain when European laws affect the products that I buy. You are free to ignore me. Where is this going? Nowhere.

Online themadhippy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2022, 10:29:35 pm »
Europeans end up governing the world, and I legitimately care about that.
I guess that is a worry for america as they seem to think its there job to govern the world.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2022, 10:41:03 pm »

I doubt that. The USB-C connector as-is provides 2 bi-directional lanes (4 lanes in total) with multi-gigabit data rates today. This connector can grow along with increasing data rates. In 15 years the USB-C connector is still relevant albeit with speeds that could be in the tens of Gbit/s by then.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Halcyon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2022, 10:52:41 pm »
USB-C docks and hubs are fairly common. I've use the OWC branded ones. For example: https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/owc-thunderbolt-hub

That example is actually a Thunderbolt hub, not a USB-C hub. Perhaps the EU should require Thunderbolt rather than USB-C.

I'm aware but they are also compatible with non-Thunderbolt devices.

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2022, 11:09:28 pm »
Europeans end up governing the world, and I legitimately care about that.
I guess that is a worry for america as they seem to think its there job to govern the world.

:palm:

Offline eugene

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2022, 11:11:45 pm »
I doubt that. The USB-C connector as-is provides 2 bi-directional lanes (4 lanes in total) with multi-gigabit data rates today. This connector can grow along with increasing data rates. In 15 years the USB-C connector is still relevant albeit with speeds that could be in the tens of Gbit/s by then.

I believe you are right. USB C has a lot of potential and will serve us well for a long time, whether it's the best option or not.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2022, 11:13:52 pm »

I believe you are right. USB C has a lot of potential and will serve us well for a long time, whether it's the best option or not.

It is the best option currently available to all. A fair compromise, I'd say.

Offline Ed.Kloonk

• Super Contributor
  • Cat video aficionado
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2022, 11:25:47 pm »
I see the move as overwhelmingly positive. I don't see how this differs too much from standardising AC power connectors and sockets.

Oh no!

Like cellular technology, like AC power outlets, like train track pitch, like cars and which side of the road..
When it comes time for another region to standardize, you know what happens.

A different plug and socket for every jurisdiction. Yay!

:popcorn:
iratus parum formica

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2022, 11:31:00 pm »
Device power requirements vary widely, and USB-C is still a mess of different incomplete implementations. I could plug my work macbook into a USB-C charger for a phone and the plug would fit but it wouldn't work.
Try it, you might be surprised. I've run USB-C laptops (including a macbook pro) off 15W and 20W adapters, they negotiated PD and just worked. Old "dumb" chargers wont work as they are fixed on 5V with no negotiation.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2022, 11:32:07 pm »
I'll assume it has something to do with early phones that used a variety of barrel plugs. If so, I'm not ready to give law makers any credit for increasing convenience in my life (which is all that this law is about; simple convenience.) I'm certain that makers of smart phones would have included USB ports for communication purposes anyway. And, I'm just as certain that they would have used those ports for charging. No laws required. (For the record, I am not against all laws, just pointless ones that do more harm than good.)
This shows your age very starkly. Mobile phones traditionally had obscure brand (or model) specific connectors for power and serial (or USB) so that you had to buy the accessories from them and only them. In the bad old good old dark days, you couldnt even charge over USB and as the power adapter had a captive cable it was mutually exclusive: charge or transfer data.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf