Author Topic: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.  (Read 2302380 times)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
Re: Whats your Work-Bench/lab look like? Post some pictures of your Lab.
« Reply #775 on: July 01, 2014, 05:33:38 pm »
As for lighting - actually that's still to be determined for that bench. There are both big fluros and halogen spots in the ceiling, but I'm looking for something like a very bright LED point worklight I can mount on the underside of that shelf. That won't shine in my eyes, or reflect off the screen.
I bought some of these, which are different from LED strips I've bought in the past, and I expect them to work very well.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/360888111369

I had 10m of these stuck to the bottom of a wooden shelf, and it shone down on my workspace.  It came with self-adhesive tape on the back so it can pretty much go anywhere.  I have rearranged things, the wooden shelf I was using is now unused, so bought some of the above, which is twice as dense as what I used previously.  I expect good performance out of it.

Might be something to look at, if shipping isn't too bad.  They can be cut to length (± 2cm or so) without wasting individual LEDs.

I would stick it to metal instead of wood, as I did.  They're encased in silicone for waterproofing reasons, and as thus they can find it difficult to dissipate heat to the air; a metal connection on their backside will give them a good place to put heat.  I've seen people use this stuff on aluminum angle stock so they can heat-sink the LEDs and shield their eyes from directly viewing the LEDs.  They are crazy bright.

Of course, any noise in the supply to these will use the strips as an antenna, so if common mode noise is something you want to get rid of, regulate voltage to these strips linearly.  Otherwise, I suggest an ATX power supply.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #776 on: July 02, 2014, 03:44:53 am »
I bought some of these, which are different from LED strips I've bought in the past, and I expect them to work very well.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/360888111369

Nice. I had some kind of commercial fitting in mind, but given the price of these LED strips and the metal channel idea, this sounds like a better idea.
I found a cheaper source of the same things, with free shipping Hong Kong to Australia: ebay 141300252362.
Had no idea LED strips were getting so cheap. AUD 6.09 for 5m of 3528, AUD 9.74 for 5m of the brighter 5050.
I bought 3 rolls, 1 warm 3528, plus warm and cool of 5050. The not-waterproof variety, since it will be indoors and facing down. Suitable rectangular aluminium U channel will be easy, but will need experimenting once I have the LEDs.

Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline skipjackrc4

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #777 on: July 02, 2014, 04:01:05 am »

Nice. I had some kind of commercial fitting in mind, but given the price of these LED strips and the metal channel idea, this sounds like a better idea.
I found a cheaper source of the same things, with free shipping Hong Kong to Australia: ebay 141300252362.
Had no idea LED strips were getting so cheap. AUD 6.09 for 5m of 3528, AUD 9.74 for 5m of the brighter 5050.
I bought 3 rolls, 1 warm 3528, plus warm and cool of 5050. The not-waterproof variety, since it will be indoors and facing down. Suitable rectangular aluminium U channel will be easy, but will need experimenting once I have the LEDs.

I used those same strips for under-bench lighting.  They work pretty well, but the color is a little blue for my tastes.  Combined with the even white light from my overhead Philips bulbs, though, it's not a problem.

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #778 on: July 02, 2014, 04:22:48 am »
I used those same strips for under-bench lighting.  They work pretty well, but the color is a little blue for my tastes.  Combined with the even white light from my overhead Philips bulbs, though, it's not a problem.

Looking at the seller's pictures, I thought the 'cool' ones might be too blue. Also the warm ones look maybe too orange. Though, photos can't be relied on to accurately represent perception.
That's why I got both the warm and cool types. Thinking why not use both, with an ability to vary the current ratio between them to get an adjustable colour temperature? Since I want to be able to make the lighting on that bench *really* bright, two (or more) strips was an option anyway.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #779 on: July 02, 2014, 04:38:31 am »
I did not use the U channel, but the L with a small lip, sold as a window retaining clip. The small 10mm lip is good as a light shade, and is not too obtrusive. The wider section is about 15mm and is perfect to stick the led strip to for heatsinking.

They do suffer from lumen depreciation with time, as the cheap strip I am using has degraded a little after a few years.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #780 on: July 02, 2014, 04:51:26 am »
Anyone familiar with this type of recessed LED for example?

It's housing is aluminum and it can rotate/swivel, so seems an interesting alternative for mounting under shelves (and inexpensive).

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
    • It's not really a Blog
« Reply #781 on: July 02, 2014, 10:44:04 am »
I did not use the U channel, but the L with a small lip, sold as a window retaining clip. The small 10mm lip is good as a light shade, and is not too obtrusive. The wider section is about 15mm and is perfect to stick the led strip to for heatsinking.

But, you maybe didn't have a display screen in the back, that you don't want LED reflections from. That's why a U not an L. I might end up machining off part of the rear upright of the U, to adjust the light fan.
Or, perhaps if I can find an extrusion with side slots, may be able to slide in some kind of diffuser film. Depends whether there's any visible irregularities in the illumination on the desk below. I find that annoying.

They do suffer from lumen depreciation with time, as the cheap strip I am using has degraded a little after a few years.

Hmm. A good point, which convinces me to *definitely* make the upper end of the adjustable light intensity way higher than I really need.

I'm suddenly converted to adjustable room lighting, as opposed to just a bunch of big bright fluorescent fittings, since as part of the upgrade I installed three 12V ceiling rails with halogen spotlights, and three dimmers at the switch plate. Result: excellent man-cave lighting effects!
Not that it's possible to do any actual work in that light.

Offline ScottyAU

• Contributor
    • ScottyAU
« Reply #782 on: July 02, 2014, 11:12:28 am »
I love watching this thread - so figured it was time I posted a photo too. 

Space has to serve a few purposes - but does the job!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #783 on: July 02, 2014, 02:04:38 pm »
Good day, sirs.

all of your workspaces are very nice and am very jealous of all of you so therefore i hate all of you.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #784 on: July 02, 2014, 06:12:42 pm »
You haven't seen my office. Makes Dave's lab look positively palatial and uncluttered. I would take a photo, but the camera in in there somewhere.

As to those 3W lights from nanofrog, those are quite well cooled, and with a separate power supply they likely will run cool and last well. 3W is about the equivalent of a 10W halogen lamp ( do not believe the hype of the sellers) so you likely will need 2 times as many as you think to get a reasonable light level. Buy spare ones as well, they will fail with time.

I got some cheap 6W ones from Frankie ( thanks as well for the nice service and sourcing) and only used them for the tiny little controllers inside ( which seem to be the same from a 3W to a 10W led module) and the LED module, which was attached to a much bigger heat spreader, made from old Intel coolers. Without a fan they run at around 40C, while the original casings ran at 90C surface temperature.

@ TerraHertz I use the led strip right above the keyboard, right above the LCD monitor, and I do get a slight reflection off the shiny Samsung bezel, but the monitor is the right height so that I have to duck down to actually notice it. I like the monitor below eye height so it is comfortable to use. I mounted it to a backing board that carries it at a comfortable height to use.

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #785 on: July 02, 2014, 08:43:17 pm »
Finally got my new desk/lab space done. Not a whole lot of equipment, but that comes later :D
I added an 8ft table for a total of 13.5ft of desk space, as well as the shelves and filing cabinet in the back. I'm really happy with the added storage, I was running out of space, now I have extra for holding projects as well as component storage in the future. Lighting is interesting, I've got 4 lamps now plus the room lights :D

Edit: Have to go, but I'll try and get pictures uploaded the right orientation soon! Fixed a day and a pretty funny post later.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:19:37 am by TheBorg »
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline Prime73

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #786 on: July 03, 2014, 06:18:07 pm »
Anyone familiar with this type of recessed LED for example?

It's housing is aluminum and it can rotate/swivel, so seems an interesting alternative for mounting under shelves (and inexpensive).
I had really bad experience with cheap leds bulbs from Chinese supplies off ebay. don't have any experience with these particular ones though. I've replaced some of my ceiling halogens GU10 bulbs with leds I bought off ebay. I had a few different bulbs from different suppliers to see which ones would be a good replacement for these halogens I had. In my basement at the time I had 24 bulbs mounted in a ceiling 35w each - that's quite a power hog :) Naturally leds are perfect replacement. Anyways after the test for a month most of the bulbs just died due to overheat; others were with a slight green tint to them compare to halogens with I found really disturbing to my eyes. Tossed all to trash and got GU10s from ikea - no issues at all after almost two ears of constant use.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #787 on: July 03, 2014, 06:30:31 pm »
Finally got my new desk/lab space done.

d
o
o
g

s
k
o
o
L

Offline mcinque

• Supporter
  • I know that I know nothing

Offline kc9qvl

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #789 on: July 03, 2014, 10:18:37 pm »
Finally got my new desk/lab space done. Not a whole lot of equipment, but that comes later :D

Picture, edit, rotate right, save and done
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:20:45 pm by kc9qvl »

Offline TheBorg

• Frequent Contributor
  • Hoping to start an EE degree soon...
« Reply #790 on: July 04, 2014, 05:14:28 am »

:palm:
Been a long week, and I totally forgot. Lol. Will get them up now :D

Edit: I assume because I'm left handed I rotate left? Am I doing this right?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 05:18:17 am by TheBorg »
Youtube Channel - Assimilated Circuits
We are Borg. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

Offline cyr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #791 on: July 04, 2014, 05:55:24 am »
Looks good, but you have set your country flag wrong - you are obviously in Australia  ;)

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #792 on: July 04, 2014, 10:56:20 am »
Looks fine to me
I've included a proper map below
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline bwat

• Frequent Contributor
    • My website
« Reply #793 on: July 04, 2014, 12:15:25 pm »
But Australia should be pink. In fact huge chunks of that map aren't pink. That's not right.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 12:20:17 pm by bwat »
"Who said that you should improve programming skills only at the workplace? Is the workplace even suitable for cultural improvement of any kind?" - Christophe Thibaut

"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #794 on: July 04, 2014, 04:56:05 pm »

:palm:

This is what we would see in the US if you were in AustrAAAAAAlia. ;D
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #795 on: July 04, 2014, 05:25:22 pm »

It's all dependent on the Coriolis Effect.

Are you sure you're in the US and not somewhere in the Southern Hemisphere?

If unsure observe which way the water swirls when flushing the toilet. ;)

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #796 on: July 04, 2014, 08:43:35 pm »
Toilet swirling direction depends far more on the jets that put water into the bowl than the hemisphere in which the toilet/loo resides.

In the US I've seen them drain both ways, and when I lived in Australia I saw them go both ways.

This is one of those things that everyone "knows" to be true, but in fact, is not.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: July 04, 2014, 09:39:36 pm »
You do realize I was joking, right?

(see Wikipedia article I linked for details of toilet swirling..)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:41:30 pm by mtdoc »

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #798 on: July 05, 2014, 12:03:29 am »
You do realize I was joking, right?

(see Wikipedia article I linked for details of toilet swirling..)
Nope.  My joke detector is broked.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #799 on: July 05, 2014, 12:16:31 pm »
@GreyWolfe   the real bush guys say "Horse-traaaaaliaaa"   HiHi
@bwat I thought I was the only guy old enough around here to remember those maps!
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf